Start by marking “Sailing for Gold” as Want to Read:

Sailing for Gold

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews

Gold Rush!

Seattle, July 1897

Ever since his mother died, Davey has had a secret plan: He's saving his money so he can run away to Alaska to find Uncle Walt, the only relative he has. No one is going to stop him -- not even mean Mrs. Tinker, who owns the Seattle boardinghouse where Davey lives and works.

When gold is discovered in the Klondike, Davey is convinced that'

Published April 6th 2004 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sailing for Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sailing for Gold

Miss Amanda
gr 2-4 72pgs

1897, Seatle, WA. 11 year old orphan Davey works for room and board at boarding house, but he has big dreams. Every chance he gets, he does extra jobs to earn money for a ticket to Alaska. He's sure to find adventure and hopefully maybe his uncle and some gold of his own. When gold is discovered in Klondike, Seattle goes crazy with gold fever, Davey wonders if now's his chance to start his adventure.

Good story. Bk one of a trilogy
Tina
I originally read this book a couple of years ago for my 3rd grades since we studied this in our Social Studies unit and they really liked it. I read again this year and while it wasn't as such a big hit the kids did like it. This seems pretty accurate and the pictures and language are not boring but exciting for kids to listen to. The idea that the boy lived by himself in a boarding school and worked was a topic for discussion in both grade levels. We talked alot about the vocabulary and why th ...more
Duane
This is a excellent series for readers who are just at the chapter book level. Following Davey, a ten year old in Seattle right before the big Klondike Gold Rush hits, the author does a excellent job of putting the reader in Davey's life and times. A nice addition of illustrations gives the reader a added bonus. A very interesting story, filled with interesting characters, young readers will enjoy reading how Davey plans on escaping to the wonders of Alaska and GOLD!
Mrs.
The Klondike Kid Book One: Sailing for Gold is the first of three books in the series that follow Davey to Alaska in 1897 in search of his father and fortune. This is a great beginning read for both boys and girls though it might appeal to boys since it has a strong young mail character in Davy. Nice chapters and 63 pages make up this Ready-to-Read Chapter book.
Ratforce
The 1897 Klondike gold rush is the setting for this exciting historical adventure called Sailing for Gold, The Klondike Kid Trilogy #1.
natasha rambarran
natasha rambarran marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Pippa
Pippa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Sheldon Okyere
Sheldon Okyere marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Csifcsnn
Csifcsnn marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
May 04, 2011
Kaye
Kaye added it
Mar 12, 2011
I write picture books, nonfiction, and middle grade fiction. I love history and visiting schools to talk to young readers.

TITANIC: VOICES FROM THE DISASTER was named a 2013 Sibert Honor Book and a 2013 YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist. Annie and Helen was a finalist for a 2013 Oregon Book Award.

My most recent books are KNIT YOUR BIT, a World War I story, a historical fiction picture book s
More about Deborah Hopkinson...
Titanic: Voices From the Disaster Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series) The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)