Start by marking “A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2)

A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,946 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews
On her homestead in the middle of twenty million acres of national Park, Aleut P.I. Kate Shugak is caught up in spring cleaning, unaware that just miles away a man's sanity is breaking. When the sound of gunfire finally dies away, nine of his neighbors lie dead in the snow. But did he kill all nine, or only eight? The ninth victim was killed with a different weapon. It's u ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Fatal Thaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fatal Thaw

T
Jan 20, 2013 T rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-it
I've read most of this series now and enjoy some of the earlier ones, even though they are a lot shorter in length.

Stabenow does a beautiful job describing the mountains in this tale, which includes Mutt & Kate surviving an earthquake that drastically changed the landscape.

Another scene that I enjoyed was a potlatch to honor those that had been shot and killed, with Kate's grandmother calling out each tribe's representative to join in the dancing - including an elderly man who was reportedly
Judy
Jul 26, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
This is a good, fast-paced, energetic mystery set in the Alaskan bush. Kate Shugak is a really fun character, looking forward to reading the next one.

I especially loved the short scene of the potlatch, where everyone is called out by tribe and is dancing the ancient dance, including Kate. Beautiful scene. The section at the very end on top of the mountain is also full of gorgeous imagery.
Curlyhair
Jun 27, 2016 Curlyhair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016, wom-2016
2nd book in this series and I enjoyed it more than the 1st book. Decent enough crime story, if a little predictable. Great descriptions throughout of the area, especially at the end.
Barbara
Feb 15, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
Private Detective Kate Shugak, a former investigator with the district attorney's office, lives on an isolated homestead in Alaska. One morning, not far from Kate's home, a psychotic killer picks up his rifle, strolls through town, and kills everyone he comes in contact with. Kate, warned that the mass murderer is coming her way, manages to capture him with the help of her loyal (and very smart) wolf/husky mix, Mutt.

Examination of the murder victims shows that one of them - beautiful blonde Lis
Joyce Lagow
Aug 10, 2011 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it
Second in the Kate Shugak series.

Spring has come to the Park and with it, a mad killer who leaves 10 bodies behind until brought down by Kate and her half wolf, half husky dog, Mutt. Among the bodies, however, is that of a beautiful, promiscuous young woman who, it unfolds, was shot by a different rifle from the one used by the mass killer. Kate is assigned the job of tracking down and identifying this second murderer.

A big step upward in quality of writing in this 2nd book in the series. Especi
Judith
Nov 28, 2013 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a couple of Kate Shugak mysteries before, and I thought they were decent. I remember her as a tough woman dealing with difficult men, among other things. I did not have her pegged as a typical heroine - 30-something, beautiful, tough, afraid of commitment. But that's what she is, based on this novel.

Because of my own ethics and standards, I found a couple of things irritating at best:

* Kate's female dog is not spayed. Kate does not want her having more puppies but she has not gotten
Kimberly
Oct 28, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like cozy mysteries
I am so glad that I gave the Kate Shugak another chance. I liked the first book in the series but I liked this installment a lot more.

Kate is still coming to terms with the events that took place in the last book. However new horrors await her as a murderer goes on a killing spree, murdering innocent people in cold blood. Kate with the help of her ever faithful compainion the husky/wolf mix Mutt manages to apprehend the suspect.

It isn't until later when her off/on lover Jack Morgan comes to visi
Linda
Kate Shugak has her hands full when she manages to stop a serial killer on a rampage in her own backyard. Except this time, everyone within the vicinity is killed by a psycho with a rifle except for one lady. Thought to be included with the others, it turns out that Lisa Getty was shot by someone else. Now, how can that be?

Back for a second time around are Jack Morgan, Chopper Jim and Bobby Clark. And protective Mutt; this time she has a lover, too. As usual, Jack gets Kate to work the case usin
Kevin
Aug 07, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok
After reading this the second book in author Stabenow's installment of Kate Shugak mysteries, I can say it is somewhat of an improvement over her 1st attempt at a novel. Still for me there is something lacking in the story, some of the characters I will admit I do like such as her friend Bobby a disabled veteran of the Vietnam wars who is colorful and humorous, and Bernie the bartender of a local bar. They add to the writing, but that is about where it stops. The story for me was somewhat predic ...more
Janice
Feb 16, 2011 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
When man goes berserk on the first day of spring and shoots up the neighborhood, he kills eight, but there are nine bodies. Kate Shugak is called in by Jack Morgan to investigate the murder of the ninth. It seems the local officer had been having an affair with the victim, Lisa Getty. Kate, while happy to have the income, is not happy to come out of her hole before full spring. She interviews many of the woman's former lovers and several of their wives or girlfriends, plus the victim's sister wh ...more
Ape
Dec 17, 2014 Ape rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Book two in the series - still so good! Now that all the scene setting and character introductions is dealt with in the first book, we can get cracking on mysteries and murders. It's a few months later and spring has arrived. By late May/early June the roads will have cleared enough for the oil tankers to be able to get through (my god, I don't know I'm born living where I do!). We start off with a crazy loner who's got a bit of cabin fever. He gets himself a rifle and goes on a killing spree. S ...more
Daniel
Jul 24, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
I read this to change up a block of reading Block's Scudder books. If "Cold Day," the first Shugak book, left me wanting more depth to Shugak's character and more of a mystery, this follow-up delivered on all fronts. It also surprised me: about midway, when it was clear what was afoot while Kate kept up her investigation, I experienced that urge to reach inside the pages and tap the protagonist on the shoulder. "Yo: over here." Then, what do you know, Shugak reveals that she was wise to the plot ...more
Betty
Oct 30, 2015 Betty rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
This review is from: A Fatal Thaw (A Kate Shugak Mystery) (Mass Market Paperback)
The 2nd in the Kate Shugak series. You an tell is an early as Ms Stabenow descriptions are excellent. You see the Alaskan country side. However she has lot of unnecessary support characters. I doubt that any who was shot in the head could do what Kate did. On a sunny cold a Roger McAniff walks through village shooting everyone he see. Nine are dead before Mutt stops him. However there is an extra body as one person
John Hanscom
Feb 02, 2016 John Hanscom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great novel!!!!!!! Most stories bout Alaska sound like, at best, the author took one of the cruise ship and bus excursions and, at worst, got the Alaska info off Wikipedia. Ms. Stabeno lives here, and gets it right!!!
Barbara Kling
Jul 23, 2015 Barbara Kling rated it liked it
Really enjoy this series I recently discovered. with the Alaskan bush as the setting and the culture of the Alaskan Indians throughout, I feel like I'm traveling without having to be cold......or shit at!
Kate
May 03, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Although I am late to the party I really liked this murder in the Park book. The stories about Alaska, the Natives, the interlopers and everyone in between are fascinating, the main character is great and the storytelling, though short, is very good. Reading the whole series as fast as I can!
Granny
Jan 07, 2009 Granny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another book in a good mystery series. I've become hooked on the Kate Shugak books! Since I'm already cold in winter, I might as well read about Alaska -- after all, it's even colder there!
Nina Post
Aug 20, 2012 Nina Post rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I am in love with this series, and the ending of A Fatal Thaw is sublime.
 Olivermagnus
Private Detective Kate Shugak, a former investigator with the district attorney's office, lives on an isolated homestead in Alaska near Denali National Park. Local resident, Roger McAniff, has gone on a rampage, killing nine people before Kate can stop him. Ballistics tests prove Roger killed eight of the dead, but Lisa Getty was killed by someone else. Kate starts investigating who in Lisa's life might be motivated to kill her and discovers Lisa's secret life of drug dealing, promiscuity, and e ...more
Mary Drake
Jan 10, 2017 Mary Drake rated it really liked it
This is the second book in this long 20 book series. It was short but a significant development on the first. Kate Shugak has been traumatised in an attack in the past and is recovering from the results of her first efforts as a private detective. On the first day of Spring a neighbour picks up a gun and camly kills eight of his neighbours. Jack, Kate's lover, turns up to inform her that the ninth body was shot with another gun and engages her to find the killer.

This requires Kate to investigate
Bette Jacobson
Jan 13, 2017 Bette Jacobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Shugak was an investigator for the Anchorage prosecutor’s office until while attempting to stop a child molester, her throat is cut from ear to ear. When her throat is healed, with her voice ruined, she retires back to the National Park to her homestead.

On the first spring morning she wakes to 30 degrees and begins her break-out chores. A killer 25 miles north and west to her begins a murders spree. Kate will bring him down, the police will take him to Anchorage for trial, BUT one victim of
Tammie
Oct 30, 2016 Tammie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anorher great Kate Shugak novel! I started the series in the middle, then read my way through the rest series. I have been a big fan of Stabenow's writing ever since, so I had to go back to the beginning of the series and read the ones I missed. Love the character development and story. You feel like you are right in Alaska along with the characters in each book. I just love the writing and character of Kate and her her dog mutt. Love the people who are "in the park" and friends of Kate's. With ...more
Louise Taylor
Dec 25, 2016 Louise Taylor rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it kept me hooked from beginning to end! I really love how feisty Kate is! She's a great character and a woman that many people can look up to!
Judy Parker Cohen
Dec 27, 2016 Judy Parker Cohen rated it it was amazing
I really like this series!
LeeEllen
Nov 21, 2016 LeeEllen rated it it was amazing
love this series
Tamara Catlin
I guess I have marked this down as I could also see who did it before a third of the book had finished..... but I am still loving all the descriptions of Alaska!!!
Kathy
mystery part... Lottie - masculine looking/build, outdoorsperson, tolerated by parents, abrasive... Lisa - younger, Marilyn Monroe looks, educated, slut (seems to have slept with every man around), marijuana grower, animal tusks/gall bladder killer/collector/seller...

ex soldier (??), came to alaska last summer, lost job, wintered here, first day of spring bought a rife, and struck out in the morning killing everyone he came accross - totaling 8, before he got to the forewarned Kate & Mutt i
Carly
Sep 26, 2016 Carly rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2016
For me this book was a solid 2.5 starts... Th hats not an option on Goodreads, so I bumped it up.

This is the second story of Kate, a former DA and Alaska Native who uses her intelligence and her knowledge of her native community to solve crimes.

Nothing spectacular ...
Mike Finn
Feb 05, 2015 Mike Finn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, audio-book
"A Fatal Thaw", the second Kate Shugak book, is a substantial improvement on the first: the plot is more complicated, the characterization is stronger, the descriptions of Alaska and its people are sharp, vivid and memorable. This was the book that made me eager to read the rest of the series.

Dana Stabenow makes Alaska a character in her books. In " A Fatal Flaw" we experience the ferocious beauty of Alaska's mountains via an avalanche that Dana Stabenow makes frighteningly real.

The plot of the
Jul 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is book two in the Kate Shugak series. Kate is a former investigator for the Fairbanks police department who was nearly killed during a drug bust. The near fatal injury has left her with a raspy voice and a very noticeable scar on her neck. After this incident she “retired” to her homestead in the wilderness of Alaska, however, when crime happens in the Park area where she lives she is called on to investigate. She lived in the area all her life and knows better than anyone the people and t ...more
The Danamaniacs: A Fatal Thaw *SPOILERS* 2 30 Jun 23, 2013 11:14PM
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • While Other People Sleep
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...

Kate Shugak (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3)
  • A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Killing Grounds (Kate Shugak, #8)
  • Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak, #9)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)