Where Teddy Bears Come from

Where Teddy Bears Come from

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the middle of a deep, dark forest, all the creatures are fast asleep. Except for a little gray wolf who cant sleep a wink. But the little wolf knows just what he needs to get a good nights sleep: a teddy bear to cuddle, just like in his favorite story book. So the next morning little wolf sets off on an adventure to find a teddy bear. But exactly where do teddy bears co...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Peachtree Publishers (first published October 2nd 2008)

carissa
In the middle of a deep, dark forest, all the creatures are fast asleep. Except for a little gray wolf who can_t sleep a wink.

But the little wolf knows just what he needs to get a good night_s sleep: a teddy bear to cuddle, just like in his favorite story book. So the next morning little wolf sets off on an adventure to find a teddy bear.

But exactly where do teddy bears come from?

The little wolf asks the Wise Owl, but he doesn_t know. He asks the Three Little Pigs, but they suggest he speak to L...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Little Wolf has a problem--he can't sleep. He tries a variety of remedies before he decides he needs a teddy bear. But that's another problem. Little Wolf doesn't know where teddy bears come from. He sets out on a journey to find a teddy bear so he can sleep soundly. After a few cases of mistaken identity, he succeeds.

What I Thought: What a great idea for a book! Adults woulds automatically think teddy bears come from stores, but not Little Wolf or some children. I also love that this is a fract...more
Heidi
Where Teddy Bears Come From is a delightfully quirky take on several fairy tales but also Santa Claus. The illustrations and text fonts remind me distinctly of Lauren Child's style, but take on a life of their own. The little wolf is quite adorable as he persistently searches for the answer to his question. A fun book to read aloud as the differently sized text prompts the reader into reading with expression and verve. The twists to the fairy tales of the Three Little Pigs (who aren't so little...more
Karen
My four-year-old son checked this book out from the library this week.

This book was a little bit above my son's understanding, but it still held his interest throughout. It would probably be a perfect book for new readers. The book itself is very cleverly written and even has an actual story. I liked all the other literary references, and I'm sure my son will when he understands them better.

The illustrations recall Charlie and Lola books to me, although maybe even more elemental in their shapes...more
Katie Hainsworth
A cute story that integrates some well known classic characters. Quirky illustrations.
the Reeds
Started off promisingly enough. Little wolf sets off to find where teddy bears come from. He meets various fairy tale characters with wolf issues, the three pigs, little red riding hood, etc. until ultimately meeting a 'rosy-faced old man.' At this point the book becomes a Christmas story. I wasn't expecting a Christmas story, bit of a surprise there. Plus I've never been a fan of the sharp angled illustrations that seems to be so popular these days.
Kim
Sep 25, 2010 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: FRA2010
Shelves: children
Little wolf sets out to learn where teddy bears come from. He visits some of his fairy tale friends in search of answers. In the end, he comes upon a jolly old man with a flat tire who sends him home in hope of an answer when he wakes in the morning. As a read aloud, it's okay.
I liked the voice and play of font in this book. Would be great for a writing.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Little Wolf can't sleep. He wants a teddy bear and doesn't know where to get one. He visits various woodland residents (with a hilarious twist on fairly tales) until he bumps into a rotund, bearded man that needs his help with a flat tire. Kids instantly realize who this man is (though it's never said) and think they are in on a big secret. Really cute!
Sandybear76
Jul 29, 2011 Sandybear76 added it
Shelves: bears
Little Wolf can't sleep and decides that he needs a teddy bear to fall asleep with. He journeys around the woods, asking characters from storybooks for help to find a teddy bear. The little wolf helps one last character and that guy helps wolf find a teddy bear.
Julie
I enjoyed reading this book with my niece. We both enjoyed the colorful illustrations and the twists and turns of the story with the clever use of other fairy tales. It is a great story to read with a child while asking prediction questions.
Elizabeth S
What a fun book. Not only do we learn where teddy bears come from, but we also see the three little pigs, little red riding hood (& Grandma), before being sent to Goldilocks. I think we all need bears in order to properly fall asleep.
Miri
I love the illustrations in this book, and it's a fun twist on several different fairy tales, plus a unique Christmas story—one that doesn't actually feel all that Christmasy, so you could read it year round.
Sari
Our three year old loves this book and wants to read it over and over. I don't mind, because it's a story that mixes different fairy tales and the illustrations are terrific.
A cute and humorous combination of fairy tales and a Christmas story. Could be shortened a bit (my 5-year-old nephew got restless), but good overall story.
Cristina
I liked this book that mixed a christmas tale with traditional fairy tales. the illustrations were so-so, but I think it would work well for storytime.
Allison
Little Wolf sets off through a myriad of fairy tales to find out where Teddy Bears come from.

Cuute- loved the story. But I wanted a better ending.
Natasha
Charming, quirky and unique! One part fractured fairy-tale, one part "I can't get to sleep," and just a dash of holiday fun for good measure.
Cymiki
Cleverly tying together Santa Claus with fairy tale, this is a cute story. Would be great for little ones around the holidays.
Marge
Feb 21, 2010 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-book
Wolf asks all his friends, pigs, goldilocks, finally helps jolly man in red out and get his teddy bear (x-mas holiday)
Divergence from the big bad wolf tale. Lovely illustrations, and a nice wind-around from known fairy tales.
Anna
I liked this little wolf and his quest for a teddy bear. It's a cute Christmas-time book.
Zack
Cute story, but a bit too text heavy for the standard picture book crowd.
Amy
Jul 24, 2011 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kidz
I love the idea but didn't like the actual story. I want to write my own!
Susan
Love the illustrations.
The ending was a little unsatisfying.
Rachel
Cute idea. Fun, unique artwork.
Mary
Christmas story
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mutiny At Crossbones Bay A King's Speech: The BBC Radio Play Principles of Network and System Administration In Search of Certainty: The Science of Our Information Infrastructure Teddy Bear's Picnic