Start by marking “Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #5)” as Want to Read:
Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #5)

Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories (Chester the Raccoon (Chester the Raccoon #5)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Chester Raccoon's good friend Skiddel Squirrel has had an accident and will not be returning - ever. Chester is upset that he won't get to play with his friend anymore. Mrs. Raccoon suggests that Chester and his friends create some memories of Skiddel, so that they will have good memories when they miss him. Chester, his brother Ronny, and their friends decide to gather at ...more
Published August 15th 2009 by Tanglewood Press

Be the first to ask a question about Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories (Chester the Raccoon

Sevenponds

Chester Raccoon has lost a close friend, and he doesn’t understand why. In the tender story by Audrey Penn, beautifully illustrated by Barbara L. Gibson, Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories helps Chester and his friends celebrate the life of their friend who won’t be returning to play anymore.

This children’s book touches on issues both of the loss of young people and of older people, through the eyes of kids. Children may not understand the meaning or implications of death, and storie
Melissa Roach
Description:
Chester Raccoon's good friend Skiddel Squirrel has had an accident and will not be returning - ever (because he passed away). Chester is upset that he won't get to play with his friend anymore. Mrs. Raccoon suggests that Chester and his friends create some memories of Skiddel, so that they will have good memories when they miss him. Chester, his brother Ronny, and their friends decide to gather at the pond, where they combine their memories and create a touching celebration of their
Rachel
Apr 28, 2014 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: lcrt
I personally would never want to have to read this book to my class. It is just so sad and starts off sad right away. However, I do like the message about creating positive memories and sharing those memories about the one's that we have lost. It would be a good book to use to bring up the conversation around death in a safe and sweet way. It just hurt my hear too much while reading this story, although I can see its purpose.
Gina
From the author of popular children's book, The Kissing Hand, comes a sweet little story of the young raccoon dealing with his friend Squirrel's death. This story was originally recommended to me to read to our kids when our dog died, but it was just now that we received a copy. Good story to help share memories of a loved one lost.
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I’m reviewing this book for NetGalley.

Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories is another children’s book about Chester Raccoon. Chester comes home to his mom one day and tells her that his teacher said his friend, Skiddil Squirrel had an accident. When his mom asks him more questions, it’s revealed that Skiddil died. Chester is really sad, so his mother tells him that he can make memories of his friend so he won’t be as sad.

I loved the pictures in this book. This book can gently introduce
Heather
This is a sweet story about making memories. My 8 year old was initially put off by the accidental death of Chester's friend but became reflective of our own losses and making special memories as we read together. This is a great book to generate a talk between parent and child on a tough subject. After reading this, my daughter started asking questions about her grandpa, my father who died when I was eight. She said she didn't want to make me sad by asking about him, but now she understands the ...more
Alma Loredo
Chester goes home and shares that Squirrel died. His mother explained to him what that meant. Chester was very sad. His mother knew that this was very painful because that was his friend. Mrs. Raccoon asked Chester what Squirrel liked and his favorite place. She took him there. She helped him make a memory of Squirrel. A memory is something special that will always remind you of that very special person. By the time there arrived at the pond many other of squirrels friends had joined the Raccoon ...more
Jessica
My kids have loved Chester Racoon since The Kissing Hand and this story is no exception! This is a great way to teach kids about death and how to deal with death and the sadness and grief that comes with it. Chester's mom is supporting and sympathetic and has the great idea of making a memory of Chester's squirrel friend. Not only did Chester make a memory, but the trees made of a memory of him too. The pictures are colorful and cute and my kids love to study the pages. This was yet another grea ...more
Jay
yet again a lovely story from Chester Raccoon & his mum.
this time they're dealing with the loss of a friend. Chester doesn't understand what has happened to his friend Skiddil Squirrel, and then fells sad after Mrs Raccoon explains to him what it means that Skiddil died.
with the help of his mum, Chester is able to create some lovely memories of Skiddil that he can keep forever & never forget his friend.
a touching little story

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Abbey
Dec 06, 2012 Abbey added it

This children's book is a must read for anyone. It is a heart warming story about friendship and taking bad news and turning it in to something good. Chester the raccoon has a friend that he finds out he will never see again. At first he really sad, but the more time goes on the more the Chester learns to accept the fact and find ways to remember his friend.
This is a great book to have in the classroom on a library for students to enjoy a nice, good story!
Margo Tanenbaum
Chester the Raccoon from The Kissing Hand deals with the death of a friend in this sensitively done book. His mother tries to explain to him how his friend Skiddil Squirrel won't be coming back, and works with him to make some memories of Skiddil that will help him remember his friend. As Chester and his friends gather at the pond they played at with Skiddil, they remember how he loved butterflies and acorns, and take home acorns in remembrance of him.
Kimberly
Chester's Lesson of Memory Making

The death of a loved one, friend or family, is difficult for all ages. Here, Mother helps Chester and his woodland friends make memories of a squirrel friend, to cherish every time they miss their friend. Such a positive way to view the passing of a loved one!

Thank you Net Galley, Tanglewood Press and Audrey Penn for the digital edition I was able to read.
Heather
Chester Raccoon lost his friend, Skiddil Squirrel. His mother tries to help Chester feel less sad by remembering positive memories about Skiddil Squirrel and keeping a token for a memory.

I find this book to be a good way to remind children to remember the good things and let go of the bad in the case of death. It is far better to keep the memory alive than to wallow in the sadness of death.
Inspired Kathy
Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories would be a great book to use with children when someone passes away. Chester's friend squirrel dies in an accident. Chester's mom helps him by teaching him how to make a memory to remind him of his friend. Great illustrations.
Shelby Rose Rogers
What a sweet way to teach children about death, grief, and the loss of a friend. Chester's friend has passed away and his mom helps him cope with the loss making a memory keepsake of his friend. This would be a great book to share with students and talk about these topics.
Crystal
I know it is a child's book, but the week kaitlyn got this from the library, we lost our beloved Garth. I needed this book more than them. I needed to realize i will always have his memories. I needed to know that i can always find a way to feel him and love him.
Andrea
Aug 25, 2011 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children suffering a loss
We got this book as a gift after the loss of my Mother-in-law. It was an appropriate topic for the situation. This book deals with loss and sadness and offers advice on ways to remember memories about a deceased loved one... all on a kids' level.
Kaylen Matherly
This book is good to read to show children how you can be positive about losing someone. Children can learn at a young age to cherish the memories they create with friends and family each day. This book can show children how to deal with the loss of someone.
Emmy
This book shows how Chester deals with his friend's death, using the idea of memories. Unexpectedly touching, this book would be great for children who have just suffered a loss. Wonderful storyline with beautiful illustrations.
4/5 stars
Mekia
Chester the Raccoon is dealing with the death of a friend, and his mom helps him do that by making a memory of his friend.

Great book to teach children about how to deal with the death of a family member
Allison
Emi chose this, not knowing the subject matter (Chester's friend died). It's a nice book to read a child who might be in that situation. And the illustrations are beautiful.
Monique Mcdonald
very sweet emotional book. Chester learned to deal with the death of one of his loved ones, and this book will help students who struggle with dealing with a loss of one.
Sassy School Counselor
Skiddil Squirrel died and did not come to school that day. Mom explains what deaths means and how to create a tangible memory so Chester can always remember Skiddil.
Sandybear76
great illustrations. In this story, Chester deals with the death of a forest friend and how many other friends come to the pond to remember that friend in a special way.
Jonah
This was a nice book, I liked it because it explained about something dying and how we can celebrate their life. It was a little sad too.
Firstgradejags
"Chester Raccoon and the Acorn Full of Memories" is a sad story. It reminds us that we can write stories about people we miss.
Teri
This is a REALLY nice book when it comes to dealing with death. Hopefully we don't need to read it too often.
Ashley Wesner
Perfect explanation of loss and how to make memories for children.
Laurie
Gives kids a good idea - make some kind of tangible memory.
Carrie
Book on death and keeping a memory alive
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Kissing Hand A Pocket Full of Kisses Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4) A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3) Mystery at Blackbeard's Cove