Start by marking “The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy” as Want to Read:
The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy

The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy

Emphasizing spiritual values and the quest for meaning in life in its approach to the neurotic behavior, by the founder of logotherapy.
Published October 12th 1986 by Vintage (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor and the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor and the Soul

Paul
Dec 13, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I've never had a keen interest in psychology... until I read Viktor Frankl. This book is a more in-depth discussion of logotherapy than the introductory one given in Man's Search for Meaning. Frankl's insights complement and correct other approaches to psychotherapy (psychoanalysis and behaviorism) that tend to objectify human beings and reduce their behavior and thinking to external "causes" or internal psychological "drives" rather than "reasons". He give the human soul it's rightfully promine ...more
Jimmy Mac
Jun 10, 2012 Jimmy Mac rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this for the second time in about 6 months. If this wasn't a library book, I'd have highlighted about %75 of it. I imagine that's what I'll do as soon I receive my own copy in the mail and read it a 3rd time. Not very technical, so you really do not have to be well versed in psychology, only the desire for introspection. I can only speak for myself, but it's not a desire, but a need. If you feel the same way, you need to read this book.
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: science
Interesting and just after freud so a bit dated. Frankel takes an interesting approach to thinking through that which surpasses the ID. We can not be all about just us. Such makes the truly amazing that we do superficial. There is so much more than a me me me society that the human mind is capable of. Frankel moves the dialogue towards this ends. The latter part of the book is not so much my deal, because I'm more interested in the philosophy and less interested in the application. But cool... p ...more
Justin
Dec 16, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Frankl goes into more detail regarding logotherapy, and existential analysis he introduced in Man's Search for Meaning. Logotherapy seeks to help people find meaning in their lives, and serves as a response to Freud's psychoanalysis and Adler's Individual psychology. Expected of existential psychology, Frankl weaves philosophy with therapy and discusses the meaning of life, death, work, suffering and love. He also covers the psychology of specific conditions such as anxiety, obsessional neurosis ...more
Rosi Smallshaw
Sep 14, 2012 Rosi Smallshaw rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book; it was enlightening and extremely interesting. psychology is not one of my passions, but definitely after exploring this author (who also wrote "Man's Search for Meaning"), I became more interested in the subject. I highly recommend it.
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Bell’approccio, carico di amore, al fenomeno umano.
Non so se e quanto la pratica logoterapica sia efficace, ma il quadro delineato da Frankl mi pare avere il pregio di cogliere il valore nell’interezza dell’essere umano, senza voler ridurre nessun aspetto della persona ai suoi supposti componenti elementari, senza rinchiudere l’essere umano all’interno di una gabbia di condizionamenti fisici, biologici, sociali ecc.: «possiamo allora definire l’uomo come un essere che sa liberarsi da ciò che lo
Erik Graff
Dec 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frankl fans
Recommended to Erik by: Grinnell College Religion Dept.
Shelves: psychology
Judging by my marginal notes, this book was probably assigned for RELST 431, the senior seminar for Religion majors at Grinnell College.

The religion major was new to Grinnell when I switched over from the history department. There had been two religion teachers for a while, they being Dennis Haas, the college chaplain, and Howard Burkle, previously under the philosophy department I imagine. Harold Kasimow had been hired to handle the Jewish and Islamic traditions as part of the new program. In a
Beringas
Sep 20, 2013 Beringas rated it really liked it
Knygoje aptariami pagrindiniai logoterapijos ir egzistencinės analizės principai. Per klinikinius pavyzdžius puikiai atskleidžiamas logoterapijos metodų pritaikymas įvairiose situacijoje ir jų veiksmingumas. Gana paprastai ir glaustai aprašoma, kaip suprantama atskirų psichinių sutrikimų kilmė žvelgiant iš egzistencinės perspektyvos, bei palyginama su biologinės ir psichodinaminės krypčių teorijomis. Toks požiūrio į negalavimus kampas vertas dėmesio, nes atskleidžia, kokia didele dalimi žmogus s ...more
Melanie
Jan 05, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it
A favorite quote:

“It is self-evident that belief in a super-meaning—whether as a metaphysical concept or in the religious sense of Providence—is of the foremost psychotherapic and psychohygenic importance. As a genuine faith springing from inner strength, such a belief adds immeasurably to human vitality. To such a faith there is, ultimately, nothing that is meaningless. Nothing appears ‘in vain’ ; ‘no act remains unaccounted for’ (Wildgans). The world appears to manifest something akin to a law
Martin Kaye
Sep 12, 2014 Martin Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be truly alive in this world as a human being, one must realize a meaning (i.e.reason or will ) in one's existence which dignifies others, oneself, if need be, exceeds or transcends oneself.

Dr.Frankl ,by his own "humanity",has been able to elevate a mere mortal by making this human being aware of his transcendental-self,I.e. his immortal soul.
Bronwen
Oct 17, 2013 Bronwen rated it it was amazing
This is not a book proposing a theory. Instead it makes clear a way of being and thinking personally tested in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany. Central is the importance of finding a meaning in life. This book made me curious to know more about Frankl - and I spent some time watching old videos and reading descriptions of him by family members. I discovered how many lives Frankl saved (pre and post war) when he worked with people with suicidal tendencies. He is a man of brilliant ideas a ...more
Yossa
Apr 06, 2014 Yossa rated it really liked it
In this book, Frankl rallies against nihilism; he showed how meaning is central to our existence (and more specifically the health of our psyche). Though intended for the psychiatrist rather than the layman, I still managed to gain something (although a lot of it escapes me). The most impactful chapter for me is The Meaning of Love as it provides quite a different perspective than usual.
Eduard Iulian
Aug 23, 2016 Eduard Iulian rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book, and the author reaffirms what Aristotle said in the Ethics, that one should always speak only in his domain.
Laura Carter
Jun 18, 2016 Laura Carter rated it it was amazing
A brief review: dated, but scientific. The notion of applying paradoxical intention is appealing. Excellent summaries of various illnesses. Good read!
Dinesh Jolania
Apr 18, 2014 Dinesh Jolania rated it really liked it
Not easy to read,but filled to brim with stimulating stuff.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
Published even before the more famous Man's Search for Meaning, this is Viktor Frankl's explananation of logotherapy as the therapeutic search for meaning. A groundbreaking book, applicable especially to those who are amenable to *generating* meaning rather than simply trying to identify a pre-existing plan for them, it deserves to be read in concert with Man's Search for Meaning and Man's Search for Ultimate Meaning (qq.v.).
Chris
May 16, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This was an incredible read. I started it for class but finished it for me. I absolutely learned a ton about Existential psychology and the process of creating meaning in your life, and helping clients find meaning in theirs. Absolutely wonderful book.
Ted Mallory
Mar 10, 2010 Ted Mallory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, psych
Frankl has 3 kinds of values:

Creative values- what we make, build, do or accomplish

Experiential values- what you see and do and receive, where you've been, & what you've been through

and most importantly, Attitudinal values- how you responsibly react to and internalize what happens to you.

it's all about how you look at things. Nothing is meaningless if you can learn,grow, or help others because of it.
Katherine Zwick
Jun 23, 2011 Katherine Zwick marked it as to-read
My amazing clinical supervisor Patti was listening to me talk about my exuberant quest for (and finding of) spiritual meaning in my work and personal life and recommended I read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Frankl, which I shall do. I have a history of reading vorcaciously about anything I can find that might pertain to the Holocaust. She also passed this book along to me from her library.
Yuki kojima
Jan 26, 2012 Yuki kojima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Logical and convincing, very enlightening for me.
Especially of interest is his explanation of 3 ways of love. 2 being superficial - physical then psychological, the narrowest LOVE being of someones essence. Thus, when you are loved, you cannot be replaced nor compared to anyone else.
Jonathan
Oct 20, 2007 Jonathan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those with an interest in logotherapy
This book contains numerous anectdotes that are of value to those interested in logotherapy. If you had time for one book, I would read Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning; however, if you had time for two, this text certainly warrants a peak.
Jimmy
Aug 25, 2011 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. Deeply insightful and it provokes great self reflection. No prior psychotherapy background is required to enjoy this book, but it does help, Wikipedia also helps too. Highly recommended.
Karl
Sep 15, 2009 Karl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one gets a bit technical. I suspect that it was taken from his lecture notes or something. The introduction and first chapter are very good in their discussion of the philosophy of psychotherapy approaches.
Ron Linkletter
Sep 04, 2013 Ron Linkletter rated it it was amazing
Quite simply the most important and inspirational book I've ever read. Frankl's perserveance, dignity and spiritual enlightenment are astounding. There really should be a movie made about his life.
Mitchell26 McLaughlin
Mar 11, 2010 Mitchell26 McLaughlin rated it it was amazing
Though this volume is more technical and medical than the others, it retains it philosophic overtones and accomplishes much in the process of its telling. Another terrific book by Frankl.
cliffisimus
Oct 19, 2013 cliffisimus rated it really liked it
A real refreshing read on the subject of man's eternal search for ultimate meaning in life.

An epiphany at best.
Jackie
May 29, 2008 Jackie rated it liked it
This book presents fascinating ideas that I'm not sure I agree with but are well worth the read and the pondering.
Mihail
Mar 31, 2014 Mihail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Горещо я препоръчвам, на всеки търсещ знание.
За всеки, който иска да преразгледа възгледите си за живота.
Jason Scoggins
Jan 03, 2013 Jason Scoggins rated it it was amazing
This is where you go after Man's Search For Meaning. One of the best books I've read in quite some time.
Angela Dawn
"whoever has a reason for living endures almost any mode of life - Nietzche"
  • The Discovery of Being
  • Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics
  • Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy
  • The Gestalt Approach and Eye Witness to Therapy
  • Psychotherapy without the Self: A Buddhist Perspective
  • Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles for Discovering Meaning in Life and Work
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry
  • A New Guide to Rational Living
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Grundformen der Angst: Eine tiefenpsychologische Studie
Viktor Emil Frankl M.D., Ph.D., was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. Frankl was the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of Existential Analysis, the "Third Viennese School" of psychotherapy.

His book Man's Search for Meaning (first published under a different title in 1959: From Death-Camp to Existentialism. Originally published in 1946 as Ein Psycholog
More about Viktor E. Frankl...

“We cannot, after all, judge a biography by its length, by the number of pages in it; we must judge by the richness of the contents...Sometimes the 'unfinisheds' are among the most beautiful symphonies.” 117 likes
“If we present a man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present man as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind-machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drives and reactions, as a mere product of instinct, heredity and environment, we feed the nihilism to which modern man is, in any case, prone.
I became acquainted with the last stage of that corruption in my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment; or as the Nazi liked to say, ‘of Blood and Soil.’ I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some Ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.”
5 likes