Start by marking “Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare” as Want to Read:
Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare

Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  30 reviews selection for one of The Best DIY and Home Improvement Books of 2009

We’ve come a long way from the Peashooter Era: with the advent of modern household products and office supplies—binder clips, clothespins, rubber bands, ballpoint pens, toothpicks, paper clips, plastic utensils, and (of course) matches and barbeque lighters—troublemakers of all stripes
Published October 1st 2009 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth JohnsonFa la la la Felt by Amanda CarestioThe Pulse of Mixed Media by Seth Apter1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyTranslating Books at Home by Melchiore V. Buscemi
59th out of 127 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Todd Nemet
Impulse buy with my son at Kepler's Books. Turned out to be marked down to $1, though I found it in the science section.

I bought this book over the objection of the female members of my household, though my daughter flipped her position after she built a crossbow and a Viking-style catapult.

My son was beside himself with joy of course, and we stayed up late Friday turning a mechanical pencil into a BB shooter and making a little paper clip gun out of an old wooden clothes pin I found in the base
Very cool how-to book for making little launchers and other weapons out of office supplies. Well done, with some projects that actually could do some serious damage.
Kim Childress
My son Adam found this in the science section at our local independent bookstore, and I said, "This could be a dangerous book in your hands." (Adam has an obsession with wanting to blow things up and dismantle electronics.) We split the cost, and my husband had a blast building this stuff using items in our junk drawer. I found the book absolutely ingenious. The author is a professional toy designer and also wrote Cubical Warfare, another must-read. In the words of writer, William Gurstelle, "On ...more
Middle School Booktalk:
Does anyone in the room have an ordinary pencil on their person or in their backpacks? How about Rubber Bands? Paper Clips- good- at least someone’s prepared. How about pens? Now, to the untrained eye, these may seem like your innocent, everyday implements of writing and attachment. But! To the MiniWeapons expert, these are the building blocks of your arsenal.

In MiniWeapons of Mass Destruction you will find instructions on how to construct everything from your basic clicky
j to review; I loved this book because it had tons of mini weapons of mass destruction that you can make. I made a couple but my faveorite is the bb pencil which is small light and dependable. Also I plan on making the maul gun but i haven't yet. I think this book is great because you truely can find everything you need in your office. I also love 2 and 3.

Brayden Johnson
I have so many plans...

This book has so many different weapons you can make from the most basic of office supplies. I can't wait to use them on my friends... I mean boxes...
Well written,
Good instructions that are easy to follow, many of these projects are things that I remember making as a child out of crazy stuff around the house and around the grade school.
I did have fun reading the book and looking at the plans in it, the person that had the most fun with it was my 10 year old who got me to make most of these projects with her.
Mind you some of these things are a little more dangerous then perhaps little people should be playing with but it is still fun.
Just reme
One word... AWESOME! These are easy to build and effective weapons for your office warfare. Or just some fun target shooting (much preferred).

One bit of warning, make sure to have safety glasses for all involved!The ammo on some of these contain things like sharpened pencils, toothpicks, BBs, beans, erasers, pins... well you get the idea. A mother's worst nightmare. And yet I still let my boys build some of them (with strict instruction to only shoot the targets and no people!) We will see how l
Post Defiance
Originally posted at, written by Sweet Pea Flaherty.

Toy designer Austin guides you step-by-step as you transform paper clips, pencils, rubber bands, toothpicks, and other household miscellany into catapults, darts, and all variety of shooters! The second volume helps you to build your secret agent arsenal. Please build and annihilate responsibly.
"Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare" by John Austin is a really cool book on making fun weapons from around the house items. Such as popsicle sticks, rubber bands, and a spoon, this book has easy step-by-steps with some pictures. Your boys (including girls) will have a blast with this book. There are so many neat and awesome things to make in here!

As a former youth minister, I'm not sure I want teenagers with access to office supplies anywhere near this book - it's a veritable Anarchist's Guide to Impaling Your Youth Pastor With Small Pointy Things.

That said, it's a lot of fun to read & has some very creative ideas. (There are plenty of "you'll shoot your eye out" warnings throughout the book, most likely so the publisher can avoid any kind of legal entanglements.)
704 Ben
my thought on this book...
You will die if you take any of the ammo to the face- that is what the book is telling you...
and i kid you not you will die from takeing some of these things to the face
or a arrow to the knee

yes they have good constructions in said book. but you should not shoot this in or near someone. it will most likely hit them
Carol C
I bought this book as leader of my sons' cub scout den - such a big hit! You can't necessarily let them choose on their own, but we built catupults together and had loads of fun launching with them. At home my boys built a few more things and loved it. The Eagle scout who sold it to me commented that he never built anything so cool when he was in webelos.
My 10 year old nephew got this book for Christmas with a box full of supplies. He, his sister, his friends, and a number of adults (like me and his mom) have been having a great time making their mini weapons and testing them out. We found a number of the weapons to be very useful for launching dog treats for his two dogs.
Awesome fun. If I had this book in high school, I'd STILL be in juvie! :D Basically a collection of building little weapons out of common household objects - mini crossbows, catapults, trebuchet - in easy instructions with clear illuistrations. It's wonderfully ingenious.
A fun quick read about things to do when you are bored in the offece or classroom. The only things required to build these fun little creations are household items like paper clips and toothpicks. Great book, anyone would like it.
What a fun book. Joseph saw it and was so excited to make something out of it. I can admit that after perusing it, I was thinking up reasons I might have to make something and use it. Very creative and tons of fun. :)
Elizabeth Webber
Awesome! I wish I was brave enough to actually use these at work. Making them at home is such a great time though. There are so many ways to fire a spitball! This would be a fun book to give as a gift.
Trey Nowell
Really cool for office wars and a few to play some practical jokes on others, have the other 2 books as well to read, but need to try these experiments out first from this book.
Um.. yeah... one of the entries is a cardboard tube from a paper towel rocket launcher involving a lighter and a ping pong ball. :D Nuff said.
Steph Davis
This book is PURE FUN and simple to follow. Great illustrations. I am so digging it. I can't wait to make all this stuff with my four small people.
This is childish, prankish, and guarenteed to take the eye out of someone before bedtime. Mandatory stuff.
This [book] tells you how to build everything from darts to bows to catapults to ping-pong ball bazookas.
Apr 28, 2010 Tonda added it
Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction: Build Implements of Spitball Warfare by John Austin (2009)
Ch J Loveall
I wish I still had the coordinaation required to make these implements!
Karen Tompert
This is hilarious! Carry a whole arsenal in your pocket. :)
Kurt Criscione
way too much fun to be had, :)
I have got to try some of these...
Every young boy should have this book!
Getting ready for cub scouts!
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • Twisted Stitches: 30 Corrupt Cross Stitch and Embroidery Designs
  • The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Teach Yourself Visually Knitting (Teach Yourself Visually)
  • Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • How the Rich Are Destroying the Earth
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Tree in the Trail
  • 100 Most Awesome Things On The Planet
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • The Greatest Science Stories Never Told: 100 Tales of Invention and Discovery to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • LEGO Minifigure Year by Year: A Visual History
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about John Austin...