Start by marking “Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)

Soul Catcher (Outsider #1)

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  255 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the gothic eccentricity of Asheville, North Carolina to the terrifying recesses of the Appalachian wilderness, from modern demonology to ancient Cherokee mythology, SOUL CATCHER follows the tormented journey of folk artist Livia Belane, who has been stalked through many lives by a sadistic and vengeful demon. Livia and her loved ones, including her frontier-era soulma ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Bell Bridge Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Catcher

All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 25, 2009 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it did not like it

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy
If I hadn’t been sent this book for review, I would not have finished it and that was before reaching the first of two horribly disturbing and graphic rape scenes. I don’t know why there is a trend in urban fantasy to have main characters suffer through rape, but I can think of three other series that have done so (some tastefully, others less so), but this was by far the worst in terms of sheer vileness.

Livia Belane was only a little girl when her gra
Katherine
Jun 09, 2010 Katherine rated it it was ok
Recommended to Katherine by: Kindle Freebee
I read the whole thing, so that's saying something. (And also why the 2 rather than 1) I got this as a Kindle Freebee and selected it at random to read next. While gripping, I can't really say (even now) what it was about: what we were supposed to learn and what there is to gain from reading this book. It wasn't entertaining enough to be just for entertainment's purpose and the lessons, though important, weren't anything new (seeing beyond a person's body to their true selves etc...) I didn't li ...more
Katie(babs)
Oct 29, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it did not like it
Soul Catcher (Book 1, Outsiders Series) by Leigh Bridger is a very, very dark, gothic type Urban Fantasy that is a train wreck of epic proportions. The only positive thing I can say about this book is that synopsis does grab you, like it did me. I was very interested about the heroine, who has been reborn too many times to count and her quest to find her husband, who also has been reborn too many times to count as they both try to stop a “sadistic and vengeful” demon that’s stalking the heroine. ...more
Veena
Oct 21, 2009 Veena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranomal Fiction Fans
Wow... that was some read! I am not really sure, how to really kick-start this review...but I really think it was the kind of roller-coaster ride, I love once in a while!
Soul Catcher is the story of Livia, who is a soul catcher and Ian who is her soul-mate and a soul-hunter. In every life they find each other and are destined to fight the daemons. But one particular daemon tracks them down in every life and is bent on taking violent revenge every time. For some reasons Livia doesn't want Ian to
Lillie Roberts
Dec 04, 2009 Lillie Roberts rated it it was amazing
Livia Belane is an old soul reborn over and over, but she doesn't remember her past lives. In this incarnation, little Livia Belane receives a message. Draw them. Trap them. Burn them. This scares her, but her mother's reaction is even worse. She locks her in the closet. As Livia watches, her mother is slowly torn away, leaving a demon is her place. One by one, each member of her family is ripped away. And she stands accused of the heinous crime of killing her mother and brother.

After spending t
Michele Lee
Apr 13, 2012 Michele Lee rated it did not like it
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Readers program.

Warning: I am rating this book DNF.

The premise has potential, Livvie is a Soul Catcher, gifted with the power to magically summon demons via painting them then banishing them by burning the painting. She is also a multi-reincarnated soul who is haunted by a soul mate and a demon who refuses to let them be together.

In execution though the book fails on nearly every level. Livvie is a character straight out of addict recovery sh
Maryan Pelland
Jan 23, 2013 Maryan Pelland rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-reviewed
I'll skip the synopsis, since it's been done so many times here. I picked up this book because the blurb seemed promising and exciting and the Kindle version was reasonably priced. The story arc begins well, as a feisty youngster grappling with mysterious occult phenomena and trying to protect her family. The author lost me at the point where the child's family is summarily killed off (no spoiler, it happens in the first 10% of the text)and the next page, the child is grown up.

From that point,
Kathy
May 14, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
FanFreakinTastic start to a New Dark Urban Fantasy series!,

I loved this book and I can proudly say this author has made it to my favorite authors list! Livia, a soul catcher and her soul-mate Ian, a soul hunter are lost souls who reincarnate through the passage of different centuries, cultures and colors. A soul catcher either through thought, speech or hand-drawings has the power to permanently banish demons from this reality. A soul hunter protects and fights for the soul catcher while she's v
Toni (U.A.C.)
She survives and throughout her life helpers in various forms come to her aid including Ian,husband to her in a past life and Soul Hunter, who happens to have the same body a demon earlier embodied. Now, Livia is trying to allow Ian to help her but all she keeps seeing is the face that had viscously attacked her. She must quickly relearn how to use her Soul Catcher talents and trust her friends and helpers if they are to survive and win against their greatest evil.

This was an awesome story. I lo
Naomi
Mar 19, 2012 Naomi rated it did not like it
Unfortunately I had to read the book blurb to remember why I'd stopped reading this book because in 2 weeks I'd forgotten the story and the characters (not a good sign).
It starts off well. The first bit about her childhood interested me, the premise was interesting and the writing wasn't bad, then unfortunately things kind of went downhill fast for me.
Events felt rushed, and very unreal. (I know it's not real, but if it's done well it should feel real, that's why I like paranormal, sci-fi, fant
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
While this book has a lot of potential it is a bit darker than I really like in a book. The beginning of the book was almost unbearable slow, but I am glad I pushed on because the book did get much better. The sexual tension between Livia and Ian was wonderful and I liked how good managed to conquer evil. I do think the book was a bit long winded and could have been shortened for a better read, but I definitely enjoyed it.
Darcy
Aug 23, 2015 Darcy rated it liked it
A fun book! Demons and banes and boons and Magic! My favorite part of this book was actually the woman who narrates the audiobook, Traci Odom. The characters she voices are so enrapturing and heartfelt. I'd listen to her read me anything!
Summer
Jul 14, 2010 Summer rated it did not like it
I tried and tried, but I just couldn't make myself finish this book. Even 75% through, I just didn't care about the characters, the stakes, or anything.
Sharessa
Jul 19, 2010 Sharessa rated it liked it
Not terrible, and I got it for FREEEEE! Love my Kindle App.
Wendy Hines
Jun 20, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
Award winning author Deb Smith brings us a new paranormal series written under the name of Leigh Bridger.

Livia Belane is a Soul Catcher. She is able to see and banish demons back to hell. When she banishes one particular demon who is about to wipe out her whole town with the pox, it sets forth a chain of events that last for centuries. The demon is the soul mate of another demon called Pig Face who vows to kill Livia and all her loved ones in every life they live in revenge.

Livia never remembers
Haley Mathiot
Jun 26, 2010 Haley Mathiot rated it really liked it
Soul Catcher by Leigh Bridger
Genre: Sci-fi, Romance
ISBN: 9780982175682
Rating: 4

Livia hasn't had a perfect life—in fact she hasn't even had a good life. It all started when her father died when she was young, then got worse when her mother and baby brother died in a fire that she may or may not have started. She also starts painting pictures of evil horrible demons in her sleep, and is forced to burn the pictures and ban them… but one demon escapes, and comes for her.

She finds out that he had bee
Oct 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009, arc
This review was originally posted on my review blog : Falling Off The Shelf (Rating 4.5/5 Stars)

Livia Van Belane has lived many, many lives. She doesn't know this , and when her friends try to tell her, she thinks that they are all crazy. What she doesn't know is that she is a Soul Catcher, and her job is to rid the world of horrible banes and demons. Her friends will have to convince her of her fate, or their lives will be at stake.

Ian is Livia's soul mate, and husband. He has followed her for
Brenda Cothern
Jun 02, 2011 Brenda Cothern rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Do people and places really have souls? Could we all have lived before and been reincarnated? What if it is true and our soul mates were out there really searching for us? Not only does Leigh Bridger make this theory sound interesting, but possible as well in her urban fantasy Soul Catcher.

Livie (short for Olivia) Van Belane is plagued by dreams of demons and uses her only cure, learned in childhood, to get rid of them. She draws the demon then burns the drawling. Sounds easy enough, right? Wel
mari
Nov 02, 2009 mari rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, arc
I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with this book by Leigh Bridger. I didn't have very good luck with the last Urban Fantasy book I received through Library Thing's Early Reviewer Program. I was actually expecting more of the same. Instead, I got a fresh new story and plot, a tough as nails female protagonist and some interesting supporting characters. The demon is one awful, scary and absolutely perfectly evil for this type of story.

There was some overuse of the F word, but after awhile I d
Fate's Lady
Nov 27, 2013 Fate's Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Leigh, better known as Deborah Smith, is one of the co-owners of the publishing house that put out this book.

Ms. Smith usually sticks to sweet southern fiction, from what I can see, so it's clear why she would want to take a new name to exorcise her dark side. And this novel is DARK, with graphic rape scenes, torture, murder, and other nastiness.

Unlike many other reviewers, I didn't find the book confusing. The main character was disturbed and half-crazy, and grew up basically believing hersel
Michelle
Jan 01, 2010 Michelle rated it liked it
"I won this during BBAW from Bell Bridge Books and just never got around to reading it until now. It was the perfect vacation read - fast-paced and thrilling. It kept me entranced, slightly horrified and totally nervous from page to page. Livia is the ultimate ass-kicker, very reminiscent of Buffy. She has the same vulnerability and fear by her mission that you found in Buffy season after season but which made it so compelling a series. Livia Belane is just as compelling a heroine.[return][retur ...more
Dustpuppy
Apr 01, 2013 Dustpuppy rated it did not like it
All I wanted to do was read the first couple of pages to see if I wanted to start it now or later ... and I sat down and read half of it. It's astonishing. The magic/powers are a wholly new idea for me, at least in this manifestation. The written allegedly Irish accent of the romantic interest is a bit overdone, and the whole romance is flawed fundamentally. I ended up skipping over huge sections of the book, just to see if it was worth dragging myself through it. It wasn't.

NO OTHER MEMBER OF M
Faye Visco
Jun 11, 2011 Faye Visco rated it liked it
I had pretty low expectations going in after reading the reviews, but I actually liked the story quite a bit. What disappointed me was the awkward use of graphic sexuality... I felt as though the author was forcing it and it was constantly feeling both unnecesary and inappropriate.

Also, I'm originally from Asheville so I was excited about the setting. My response as both a reader and an Ashevillian is that it didn't go so well. The whole Asheville thing was overplayed and didn't gel with the pre
Heidi
Jun 10, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as an Early Reviewer book - I believe this is a new entry in urban fantasy by Leigh Bridger. It's clearly intended as the beginning of a series, and I'm glad since I really enjoyed it. Some caveats - the language is extremely vulgar and the sex is a bit over the top. If you are at all sensitive to these things, stay away. However, the plot and characters are gripping and I like where the series is shaping up to go. There's a nice combination of reincarnation and battle-between-heaven- ...more
Judi
Dec 01, 2013 Judi rated it liked it
I had to pick up this book because it was written by my favorite author - Deborah Smith.

I am not a fan of paranormal novels, but I did like this one.
Livia is a Soul Catcher and with her soul mate Ian is a Soul Hunter.
They have lived previous lives and have always been together.

The demon that chases them across the years is Pig Face and Livia and Ian have to rid of the world of him.

This was a story that would hold your attention but I would just love to read another novel in the "southern" tradi
Kitty
May 26, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This book was really quite a bit "darker" than I generally prefer for my urban fantasy books... and yet it sucked me in, and I found that I didn't want to put it down. I'm not even quite sure what it was that I actually liked about this book - a tad bit more explicit than I normally like, the language was a bit rougher than I'd prefer, but something about it drew me in. It's a rather different storyline, and perhaps that intrigued me. I'm sure this won't appeal to everyone, but if you have an op ...more
Freda Labianca
Feb 26, 2010 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it
If you like action-packed, thrilling horror fantasies, then you have to get a copy of this book!
When I first started reading this book, I didn't appreciate the vulgarity, which continued throughout, but immediately was pulled into this story about the Soul Catcher and her Soul Hunter husband. Their journeys through many lifetimes is a great tale, filled with excitement.
The author, now trying her hand at a new pen-name, is a wonderful story-teller. bringing the characters to life so fully at time
Jun 25, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Overall a good book. A bit graphic in places and a bit vulgar but overall good.
Sara
May 24, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is that it's confusing in a good way. You follow Livia throughout the book and find things out about her skills and what she needs to know as she does. A very neat concept. The descriptions in the book are very vivid and the "F" word is used a lot ... A LOT. Overall, this is a really interesting read and I'm looking forward to the second book in the series!
Anne
Jul 21, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, paranormal, 2010
Paint them. Trap them. Burn them. This is how a soul catcher deals with demons - even if it takes centuries and multiple re-incarnations to do it.
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Sacrifice (Forbidden, #1)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Regina in the Sun (Children of the Goddess, #1)
  • Primitive
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • All Tied Up (Pleasure Inn, #1)
  • DemonFire (DemonSlayers, #1)
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • Falling Out of Fashion
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Flowers for Elvis
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
  • Scent (Sensations, #1)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
Leigh Bridger(a pen name for Deborah Smith) is the New York Times bestselling author.
This author also writes under the name Deborah Smith.
More about Leigh Bridger...