Start by marking “The Gift of Nothing (Special Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Nothing (Special Edition)

The Gift of Nothing (Mutts)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Since its publication in 2005, The Gift of Nothing has become an instant classic--the perfect gift for "the person who has everything." In this appealing picture book, Mooch the cat--star of the nationally-syndicated comic strip Mutts--searches for a present for his friend, Earl the dog. Earl already has everything he needs: a bowl, a bed, a chewy toy...What else could Moo ...more
Published October 7th 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Nothing

Jul 13, 2012 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Sonia
Shelves: picture-books
The Gift of Nothing by Patrick McDonnell is an adorable, heartwarming, *hug*-inspiring gem of a book!

Mooch is on the hunt for that perfect gift for his best friend, Earl. But with simple, small, black-and-white-with-a-dash-of-color, hilariously expressive illustrations, Mr. McDonnell shows that some of the best gifts in life do not fit in a box.

I highly recommend this sweet tale of friendship and love. My heart is still “awww-ing” all over the place! :)

Thanks, Sonia!

7/13/12
Randie
Mooch wants to give his friend, Earl, the perfect gift but he has everything. What do you give the person who has everything? Simple, nothing. The illustrations are cute and simple allowing the message of friendship to be the star. Great book.
asdewi
"What could you give to the person who has everything?" adalah premis dasar dari buku ini. Cerita dimulai di suatu hari yang spesial ketika Mooch, si kucing, pengen kasi kado untuk sahabatnya Earl-si anjing. Tapi apa yang bisa dikasi oleh Mooch untuk Earl yang sudah punya semuanya?

Dan karenanya Mooch pun kepikiran untuk ngadoin Earl : "nothing". Masalahnya adalah "Di mana dia bisa menemukan nothing?"

Mulailah dia mencari si "nothing" itu. Frank (majikannya) bilang "there's nothing on tv", tapi bu
Manny
Jun 21, 2013 Manny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have everything
Mooch the cat needs to find a birthday present for Earl the dog, who's already got everything. What's he going to do? He cunningly solves the problem by giving Earl nothing, wrapped up in a box with a pretty bow.

It's cute, though if I were going to be pedantic I might complain that the basic joke was ripped off from Hurra för pappa Åberg! , which actually has a more elaborate version. But most likely Gunilla Bergström ripped it off in turn from Sophocles or one of those dudes. I can't believe th
Julian Franklin
Mooch and Earl are best friends. Mooch wants to get Earl a gift, but Earl already has everything he needs; a bowl, chewy toy, and bed. Finally Mooch realizes that he can get him nothing! Mooch wraps up a box and gives it to Earl. At first Earl is confused by the empty box, but then both friends know that the most important gift is the one of friendship.
This book is a great book for community building. I would use The Gift of Nothing in the first six weeks of school, when we are building our clas
Ashley
well even though im in 8th grade doesn't mean i cant read picture books! this book is so cute and the perfect christmas story to read to young readers. well Mooch is trying to get his best friend Erik a christmas gift but tells his self "how do i get someone something when they already have everything?" well he decides to get erik the gift of nothing! well find the book and read it for yourself to find out Mooch's adventures!
Doctor Sax
It is great that author/illustrator Patrick McDonnell practices what he preaches in regards to animal advocacy. His books carry so many important messages concerning how animals enrich our lives. I also enjoy how he weaves guiding principles along with funny tales (tails) involving Earl & Mooch on how we as humans can coexist better with nature.
Natalie Ahern
Mooch the cat desperately wants to buy his friend Earl, a dog, the perfect gift. He sits and thinks but is confounded by the dilemma of 'What do you buy someone (in this case dog) who has everything?' After spending some time in contemplation Mooch goes looking for what he considers to be the perfect gift - 'Nothing'. He looks everywhere and is confused about how everyone else can find nothing but he only ever finds something!
This is a really great short story. The illustrations are simple but e
Huda
There is something called "the gift of NOTHING"
and definitely you wont know it till you read the book
FANTASTIC
cozy and intelligent "friendship" book
I already have a list of ppl whom I want them to read it ;D

في كل مرة يحتم علي أن أقدم هدية
أجدني في حيرة
:$ أما الآن أضحى كل شيء
"سهلا"
كتاب عن الصداقة
Christine
My child went shopping with me, and I found him walking around saying, "the latest this, the newest that, buy, sale, sale, buy; there is nothing to buy ..." And I realized the book had changed his life. For the better. Just a joy. And a must for every parent.
Martha
I want to give this book to every child. And every friend. A must for every personal library. So simple and so pure. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Nojood Alsudairi
The best gift to give is the gift if nothing because it is hard to find.
Thank you Huda for giving me the gift of nothing.
Arissa
I love this book! What do you buy for someone who has everything, the gift of nothing! Mooch wants to give his best friend a gift but doesn’t know what to exactly get him. He searches high and low but nothing catches his eye, until he realizes he will just wrap up a gift of nothing. Ending his search, he gave his best friend the gift of nothing, but in reality his friendship. This story can be used to teach students about the main idea. What was the author trying to accomplish by writing this st ...more
woody
Most excellent book Diane! It brightened my day
Ina
From the creator of the comic strip "Mutts" this book features the the strip's two stars: Mooch the cat and Earl the dog. In this charming story, Earl's birthday is coming and Mooch wants to get something special for his friend but finds it difficult since Earls has everything already - a bed, bowl, ball and even a chewy toy. What do you get someone who has everything? Nothing, of course! The adventure begins when Mooch sets off to buy his friend's gift. His mistress always complains that there ...more
Judy Lindow
One, I like the premise that there doesn't have to be a holiday to give a gift to your best friend - it only has to be a special day.

Two, so then we have to walk through the question of 'what do you give someone who has everything' (boring, squeak, ???) - and get a brilliant idea: Nothing (boring, squeak, ???)

Next, we get to review how the world has so much worthless stuff. But it's supposedly funny because 'nothing' is added to the front of all the things he looks for, like 'nothing on TV', 'to
Stacey D.
Okay, I admit that this is a favorite because my teenage stepdaughter presented it to my husband and me last Christmas. A very rare event...

...but one that I'll never forget. I was crying at the end of Mooch's tale, which was simple and beautiful. It's a lesson that we all need to remember: less is definitely more.
Megan Salter
What a great book! Everyone I know is getting nothing this year! Aside from the "overcommercialization of Christmas" argument, it's just incredibly dumb to throw money around. What matters is time spent together, and this book demonstrates that aptly.
Shauna Masura
What do you get someone who has everything? Nothing, of course. That's what Mooch has in mind for his best friend's birthday present, but he just can't seem to find nothing anywhere. The minimal, cartoonish illustrations by author Patrick McDonnell (creator of Mutts comics) are the star of this book. Mooch and Earl come to life in unpretentious black ink with touches of red. The simple plot, though sweet, was a bit too esoteric for children to really understand the point. When you can enjoy the ...more
Jo
This was just too sweet. I found myself getting all verklempt throughout the story, especially at the ending. Perfect for teaching children the value of friendship over material things.

This story is about Mooch the cat and Earl the dog. Mooch is trying to figure out what to get Earl for his birthday. But what do you get someone who already has everything? Nothing! I love the page at the end where they're sitting on the back of the chair with their arms around each other. So cute.

The illustratio
Sarai
Mooch the cat wants to give his friend Earl the dog a gift, but Earl is already the owner of a bowl, bed and chewy toy! So Mooch decides to give Earl nothing, and sets out to find it. The kids say there is nothing to do, though they always seem to be doing something. Millie says there is nothing to buy, but Mooch sees lots in the stores. In the end, Mooch wraps a big box with nothing in it and presents it to his friend. There's nothing here, says Earl. Nothing… but me and you, Mooch replies. And ...more
Becky Hoffman
This book is amazing to give to people for Christmas. But really it's a great gift to give as a present in general.
Lily
I liked the drawing style and it was a good light read. The story was cute and the paper was cool!
Carol
Found this in the kid's school library and loved it! Want to get a copy for our home library!
This is a delightful book.
I love the simple sentences and pictures that give a powerful message.
Dorcas
Love the Mutts comic strips, and these picture books are so sweet and thoughtful.
Dale
What is the most important thing in the world? How is friendship important?
Kellie
Absolutely adorable! A great book to read at this time of year.
Erika
Read at mother's in Florida...gift from Sylvie for Mother's Day
Danielle
Sweet book. Great for offsetting holiday overconsumption. ;)
  • My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius
  • Ball
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Oliver
  • Me and My Dragon
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Virginia Wolf
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Sky Color
  • Spoon
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Say What?
  • A Pet for Petunia
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like
More about Patrick McDonnell...
Me...Jane The Monsters' Monster Art MUTTS Hug Time