Why Unions Matter

Why Unions Matter

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"A comprehensive, readable introduction to the history, structure, functioning, and yes, the problems of U.S. unions. For labor and political activists just coming on the scene or veterans looking for that missing overview, this is the best place to start."

"--Kim Moody, author of Workers in a Lean World"

With historical sidebars ranging from the Industrial Workers of the Wo...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Monthly Review Press (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Why Unions Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Unions Matter

Kevin
This is a basic explanation of what unions are for, and the history of them. I knew most of the history/philosophy surrounding them already, so I wasn't too surprised by anything. I had a hard time relating, because I feel that the corporation I work for treats its employees well enough, so that a union is not necessary. Though I do support unions for blue collar trades and teachers. Just a few facts and phrases I took away from the book:

-Crossing picket lines
-Rank and file
-Right to work states...more
Joe
This comprehensive and readable introduction to unions is the best overview of unions and unionism in the U.S. that I have seen. Michael Yates clearly and convincingly makes the case that a new labor movement is the best way to bring the changes needed in our country.

Those of us involved in local union work need information on why workers need unions, how unions form, how they operate, how collective bargaining works, the role of unions in politics, and how unions really do help workers and soci...more
Algernon
The second edition of this good-quality introduction to labor unions, how they work, and their history, includes updated information and analysis about developments in labor politics during the first decade of the 21st century.

The author has extensive background knowledge and experience working with labor unions. In addition to his teaching career he spent time working for the UFW. The book calls for enhanced labor education and an independent social movement devoted to working class solidarity...more
Jack
Good, but I must admit I was mostly interested in the history of unions. The parts of the book that covered that topic were more enjoyable for me. Most of this book is about convincing you that unions matter. Quelle surprise! And he makes a strong case. I just would have liked a little more historical background. Picky, I know. Still looking for a good history of the union movement.
Kim
Aug 21, 2007 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
A great introductory-type book to the labor movement and how truly crucial it is to so many other social issues. A bit outdated now (I think it's ten or some years old), but it definitely gives you quite a bit to think on and might inspire the radical in you ;-) If for nothing else, it's something important to understand.
Allison
A good introduction to unions. And why they matter ;) Good historical background which gives some perspective on how the labor movement has ended up where it is today (or 10 years ago, when the book was written anyway).
Jessica
While this is a decent introductory to Unions it is woefully outdated.
Erica Reichert
An excellent introduction to the importance of unions for society.
David
a fine introduction to the labor movement
Deidre
I wonder if there is an updated version...
Spam
Spam marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Tegan Stover
Tegan Stover marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Squirrels Are Awesome
Squirrels Are Awesome marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kathy Folgar
Kathy Folgar marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 16, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Jul 21, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jun 07, 2014
Maura Bainbridge
Maura Bainbridge marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Runic244
Runic244 marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Sam Tylicki
Sam Tylicki marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Arthur "two
Arthur "two marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
William Yang
William Yang marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Mo Torres
Mo Torres marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cheap Motels and a Hot Plate: An Economist's Travelogue Naming the System: Inequality and Work in the Global Economy Wisconsin Uprising: Labor Fights Back More Unequal: Aspects of Class in the United States In And Out Of The Working Class