Start by marking “The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me” as Want to Read:
The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me

The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me

As Blair Warner on The Facts of Life, Lisa Whelchel matured from a snobby prep schooler to a responsible adult. Now the actress recounts the journey she's made in real life, from a shy, small-town girl in Texas to the glamorous life of fame and fortune in Hollywood -- and finally to suburban life as a pastor's wife and homeschooling mother of three. Poignant autobiographic ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Multnomah Publishers Inc. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Facts of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Facts of Life

Amber
Mar 01, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
wow. just wow. I had to skip the last page of each chapter. Interesting, but just wow. I think she's even More than Kirk Cameron.
Angela Risner
Oct 11, 2012 Angela Risner rated it liked it
Okay, yes, I bought the book after I read that Lisa Whelchel and her husband were divorcing. She said that she had detailed how they met and fell in love in this book. And fine, I grew up watching The Facts of Life. I didn't think I would actually review the book and own up to reading it, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it actually was.

Let me preface this review by saying that this book isn't for everyone. It's very religious, as it talks about how Lisa was saved at the age of ten an
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
08/09: I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I expected to enjoy it. I expected a pithy, cute, pop, Christian devotional. Lisa is a woman of deeply mature faith. Providentially, we just watched "Flywheel," and now I read this, back-to-back. Both offer the same message of making Jesus Lord of one's life... how hard that is, but how rewarding. Lisa understands the "seasons" in a woman's life and offers solid insights.

From the back cover: Meet "Blair" as you've never known her before... Pretty,
Brittany
Jul 19, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Lisa Whelchel was cast as one of my favorite characters (Blaire) from one of my favorite TV shows (The Facts Of Life). It's always interesting and entertaining to read "how the other half lives" in memoirs of our favorite celebrities, but reading this book had a special twist: Lisa is a wonderful woman of faith and is using this book to spread the Good News. I admired this emensily. As she states, it wasn't just a coinseidence that I (or rather my mom) picked up this book.

I feel as if I have gai
Joy
Jul 01, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5 -- Especially funny was the part in chapter nine where Lisa writes about a steamy novel for married women: "He laid lown the remote and made his way into the kitchen where she was wearily rinsing the dinner plates....He approached her from behind, wrapped his arms around her waist, and held her prunelike hands in his....He leaned into her body and whispered the words she longed to hear: 'Honey, I'll do the dishes for you.' She melted onto the linoleum floor..." There's a little more to that ...more
Janet
Sep 26, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
It can be hard to separate an actress from the character she portrayed. I never thought I would like Lisa Whelchel, but I am learning to. She is not Blair.

What I appreciated about this book is that she didn't go into every last detail of her life, as if we would be fascinated with every last detail. She just told story from her life and then gave the Biblical application and lesson she learned from it.

It was nice to learn more about Lisa as Lisa. This book could be used as a devotional.
Kathryn
May 15, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I heard Lisa Whelchel speak a few weekends ago at a Women of Faith conference and I decided to read her book. This is the 3rd time I've heard her speak (Youth Congress '85, Hearts at Home, and Women of Faith.) She has an interesting story to tell, including her first gig as a Mousketeer (I even remember that!) to playing Blair on Facts of Life. This book further explores her life as a stay-at-home mom, homeschooler, and writer. I found it to be a quick, interesting read (probably because I lived ...more
Janet Pittman
Dec 06, 2014 Janet Pittman rated it really liked it
After hearing Lisa Whelchel share an inspirational message at today's Women's Christmas Brunch at my church, I read her book. Lisa has a great story on trusting God's plan and included relevant Bible verses that apply to all of us. One of my favorite parts of Lisa's book were the letters from her mom along with great advice for choosing a husband and parenting. Lisa's sense of humor is a delight.
Lana Jackson
Sep 17, 2014 Lana Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Lisa Whelchel, best known for her role as Blair on "The Facts of Life" TV series shares some of her life experiences: acting, meeting and marrying her husband, financial reverses, having three children, homeschooling, and the lessons her Heavenly Father taught her along the way.

I liked her unique "40 day non-food fasts" and what God taught her through each one.

This is an easy, enjoyable read.
Apr 06, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Interesting read. I like to read about other people's walk with the Lord and their life story. As some other readers commented, it seemed like she held back information for her privacy, so it wasn't as in depth as other autobiographies, but I did find a lot of things she said thought provoking and encouraging.
Patricia
Apr 24, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok
I had this on my shelf for years but for some reason I had never read it. I was a big Facts of Life fan as a young girl and always thought highly of Lisa Whelchel. However, the more I read about Lisa's life, the more alienated I felt from her. Maybe it's just me, but some of her stories seem a bit contrived. Quick read, only somewhat interesting.
Vivian
Sep 01, 2009 Vivian rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this - it was empty in spots. I understand she didn't want to reveal some areas of her life due to privacy but it left me wanting more; not information, but depth. I helped that I heard her speak about her life and therefore enjoyed the book because of this.
Janet Bell
Aug 17, 2009 Janet Bell rated it really liked it
Loved reading the story of Lisa's life, especially after hearing her talk at the Women of Faith conference this year. I like how she is real but gives such great spiritual insight and makes you ask yourself questions.
Jen Matthews
Apr 29, 2014 Jen Matthews rated it liked it
Super easy and enjoyable read. Each chapter is an anecdote in her life and explains her walk with God. I would recommend it to others but it's not a huge classic worthy of five stars. Parts made me chuckle and others made me tear up. Definitely good if you want a quick read.
Aug 04, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
I enjoyed her easy writing style and the amazing changes that were made in her life. I could see myself taking some of the steps she made and enjoyed getting a peek into her life. Easy and quick read.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I personally really enjoyed Lisa's perspective on life. Having grown up watching her shows, I was interested in her life as a christian mom. I felt so sad for her at times but inspired by her drive to keep going. In a world that is so secular focused, it's nice to see she has maintained her roots.
June
May 14, 2013 June rated it liked it
I could totally relate to the story about her taking pictures of her husband after he fell off a ladder - a scrapbooker to heart!!! :D
Kalee
Sep 08, 2011 Kalee rated it liked it
Lisa Whelchel explains her personal faith and references her life as a child actor. I was susprised with how genuine she is with her own insecurities and "human-ness" if you will.
Cynthia
Aug 03, 2009 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Lisa is amazing. She is real and honest. She talks about decisions the Lord helped her make despite the lack of worldly support. She is an inspiration.
Stephen Weaver
Feb 19, 2008 Stephen Weaver rated it really liked it
surprisingly good read
Christi
Jul 05, 2009 Christi rated it it was amazing
I got the book while at a women of faith conference 2 weeks ago. I can't wait to read more but too busy to pick it up.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Great story of her life and how God has worked through it all.
Kendra Fletcher
Jul 04, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it really liked it
Delightful to read.
Theresa Williams
Jul 05, 2014 Theresa Williams rated it it was amazing
i enjoyed this book
Christina
Oct 19, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
I was wanting to read some of Lisa's other books, but thought I would start with her background story first. This is a quick read and lets you know where she is coming from. I enjoyed it.
Yoli
Aug 22, 2008 Yoli rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful testimony of God's love and power! If you like Lisa Whelchel (Blair from Facts of Life) Read this one!!
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Elisa
Elisa rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2009
Casi Willis
Casi Willis rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Prison Angel: Mother Antonia's Journey from Beverly Hills to a Life of Service in a Mexican Jail
  • Seven from Heaven: The Miracle of the McCaughey Septuplets
  • Becoming a Woman of Prayer
  • The Tulip and the Pope
  • Parish Priest: Father Michael McGivney and American Catholicism
  • Pope Awesome and Other Stories
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • Managers of Their Homes: A Practical Guide to Daily Scheduling for Christian Homeschool Families
  • I, Rhoda
  • Won by Love: Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe V. Wade, Speaks Out for the Unborn As She Shares Her New Conviction for Life
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
  • Trusting God with St. Therese
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee
  • Camerado, I Give You My Hand: How a Powerful Lawyer-Turned-Priest Is Changing the Lives of Men Behind Bars
  • The Third Miracle: An Ordinary Man, a Medical Mystery, and a Trial of Faith