Start by marking “Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que crecio en el Bronx” as Want to Read:
Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que crecio en el Bronx

Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx/La juez que crecio en el Bronx

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The inspiring and timely story of Sonia Sotomayor, who rose up from a childhood of poverty and prejudice to become the first Latino to be nominated to the US Supreme Court.

Before Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor took her seat in our nation's highest court, she was just a little girl in the South Bronx. Justice Sotomayor didn't have a lot growing up, but she had what s
Published November 10th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sonia Sotomayor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sonia Sotomayor

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderWho Was Harriet Tubman? by Yona Zeldis McDonoughMagnificent Minds by Pendred NoyceA Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E.L. Konigsburg
Children's Books about Real Women
56th out of 57 books — 23 voters
Martin de Porres by Gary D. SchmidtEsperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz RyanAristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SáenzClemente! by Willie PerdomoBecoming Naomi León by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Américas Award Books
70th out of 174 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Onesia Thompkins
Dora
“Sonia Sotomayor, a judge grows up in the Bronx” is a 2010 Americas Award Commended Title recipient. The plot focuses on the struggle of a Latina growing up and succeeding through college and the US courts. It also brings up the topic of prejudice and feelings of inferiority, topics that may ring true for many Latinos, especially those that attend college. This book is a wonderful additional to any classroom library and curriculum as it not only accounts Sonia’s life but also the obstacles she f ...more
Laura5
"There had never been a Latin American on the Supreme Court. How strange this was! There are so many people of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban descent adding color to the great garden that is America. Why shouldn't all these people have someone who understands their lives on the Supreme Court?"

The text of this book is in both Spanish and English, alternating languages by paragraphs. This does make some of the pages visually very text heavy. But Winter does a nice job of breaking this
Rebecca
This well-intentioned book has the kinds of problems you get when a white male writes a book about a Latina.

Socio-culturally, this book has problems. Aspects of Latino cultures get name-checked, but either they are not explored, or they are explained by comparison to the dominant culture. This has the effect of shutting out the kids who come from the same background as Sotomayor; they are apparently not the intended audience. This book about a Latina from the South Bronx is not really directed a
L13F_Jana Wilkening
This 2010 America's Award Commended title tells the story of Supreme Court judge, Sonia Sotomayor. The story begins with a beautiful metaphor about a flower blooming in an unexpected place. The story then follows Sonia's unexpected journey from poverty and the projects to Princeton and the president! Because she was "tended to and cared for" like a flower (by her mother), she bloomed into an amazing success story. I love the triumphant nature of this story. I love that it shows students how hard ...more
Kara Walker
This book is a wonderful read when it comes to understanding the life of Supreme Court judge, Sonia Sotomayor. This book delves into Sotomayor's humble beginnings, focusing on her mother's hard work to get Sonia the best possible education, all the way up to Sonia graduating first in her class at Princeton University and going on to being appointed by President Obama to lead America's justice system. Although this is a children's book, the themes are very adult and dig deeply into issues of raci ...more
Tory
I liked is biography that frankly talks about the trials of growing up in a single parent household in the inner city. She had to work really hard, and the story addresses how hard it still is. The hopeful message is that one can overcome those challenges and still achieve her dreams.
MJ
Too bad that Winter sanitized it so that kids don't know about Sotomayor's mother and how hard she was to live with. It's important for kids to know that we can rise above hardships.
Meribeth
Well written, and well-researched. It's great to have both English and Spanish text.
Good read-aloud for second graders.
Holly Friel
A beautiful book to introduce children to the U.S.'s first Latina/o Supreme Court Justice. Highly recommended!
This is a nicely done picture book biography -- a good story with readable text, appropriate illustrations, and more biographical details in a final "author's note." It would be perfect for a "current events" storytime... at the library or in a classroom. And it's bilingual--side by side English & Spanish text.

Hey, did you know that Justice Sotomayor came to her current position on the Supreme Court with more legal experience as a federal judge than any of the other current justices at the t
Jenny
I appreciate that this is a bilingual book, particularly since Sotomayor is of Puerto Rican descent. Sotomayor did not have an easy life, but due to the dedication of her mother and her own hard work and determination, she has led a very successful life. I like how the author compares her to a blossoming flower. Great illustrations. I think I will use this in future biography units. It is about a contemporary figure, and it is a high quality, well written biography.
Meg
3.5 stars. Great illustrations and I liked how it brought Judge Sotomayor's story alive with vivid details of her growing up. I thought it did a reasonably good job of addressing issues of race and class, though that part was beyond my preschooler's level so I'm not totally sure how kids will respond. The writing and the metaphors were a little strained in parts (like the flower growing in the city).
Emmanuel Trevino
Going into the bilingual education/esl classroom, I know this book is one students from a latino background will see their culture represented in. This book is about the life of an American supreme court judge who overcame obstacles to reach her goal. Not only is she a woman but she is a minority. I would use this book for some of the higher level vocabulary and teach context clues.
Samantha
Sam Bloom
In a year that has given us some fantastic biographies for children, it is fitting that I read this one on Dec. 31. Jonah Winter is always pretty darn wonderful, and this is certainly one of his best books. Edel Rodriguez's illustrations are superb. This is one of the best picture books of 2009.
AnnieM
Written in English and Spanish. Tells her life story extremely well with the limited amount of space. Her' s is a story that the American dream,not the lame white, affluent, male that can overcome "adversity" but growing up poor,proving you can do a good job a be rewarded for it.
Patricia
Jonah Winter has done it again! He's written a clear account of Sonia Sotomayor's childhood and academic and professional pursuits. The illustrations are nice, and the translation, by Argentina Palacios Ziegler is good, too. I would definitely use this book in my Spanish classroom!
LauraW
I like the dual Spanish/English text. The illustrations are good and the story is good. I like the emphasis on hard work. Maybe that is politically correct right now, but it is true, too. Enjoyable.
Jenna Cardinale
This book might appeal to families who have never been to the South Bronx or don't know anyone who has lived in the projects. Even for a picture book, it's too didactic.
Kelsey
I really liked this bio of the supreme court justice. Dual language, about hard work and effort, with a large emphasis on family support. Sweet, empowering, and a great book.
paula
Bonus for being bilingual!

Brief Lives: A list of biographies for kids is on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Marie
Well done picture book biography about a woman who is a great example for all of us. It is so beautifully bi-lingual; that helps one know Justice Sotomayor even better.
Jodi
My daughter asks that this one be read to her in Spanish which is helping my fluency. A nice book for children.
kiki Jones
A wonderful picture book! This book could be used for ELL's because it comes in Spanish and English.
Heather
Loved it!The biography of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. My daughter loved it, too.
Sharice
gotta love bilingual books and Sonia Sotomayor is such an inspirational.
Edward Sullivan
A good bilingual introduction to the supreme court justice.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
  • Me Llamo Celia/My Name Is Celia: La Vida de Celia Cruz/The Life Of Celia Cruz
  • Diego: Bigger Than Life
  • Sojourner Truth's Step-Stomp Stride
  • Different Like Coco
  • Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Me, Frida
  • The Day-Glo Brothers
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington
  • Henry Aaron's Dream
Here Comes the Garbage Barge! Frida You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! Just Behave, Pablo Picasso! Jazz Age Josephine