Start by marking “Beauty Before Comfort: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Beauty Before Comfort: A Memoir

Beauty Before Comfort: A Memoir

“The first lesson [my grandmother] ever taught me was that dancing matters.... When she did come across men she fancied who didn’t dance, she sent them away until they did. They always learned, because my grandmother was bitingly beautiful, and that is the second lesson she taught me—that beauty inspires, all of God’s beauty, but especially hers.”

So writes Allison Glock at
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty Before Comfort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty Before Comfort

Karen
I found the information about Homer-Laughlin and Fiestaware just as intriguing as the overall story of Glock's grandmother. A well-written memoir.
Linda
Apr 25, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
This was one of those books I picked up at a book sale, just cuz it looked interesting. Turned out to be pretty good. I liked how the author mixed what was happening in the woman's life with what was happening in her area of Ohio, the economy, the war, the changes roles of women, etc.
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 11, 2012 Kathy Ferrell rated it really liked it
I read this several years ago and really enjoyed it. Glock takes us into her family's lives with humor and warmth. It's a brave, enjoyable book, and as a West Virginian, I can vouch for her genuine voice. There aren't enough West Virginian memories being told about the fairly recent past. Instead, when one of us does decide to write, it's often some stilted thing about the Civil War or the Hatfield-McCoy feud. This book is nothing like that. There is joy here, and I think you'll enjoy reading ...more
Diane Bosser
I enjoyed the details about pottery ware and the pre and post WWII industrial growth and change in WV. The author did a good job showing the limited and hard choices people made, including those who stayed and those who left. I did not enjoy the run down of every boy her grandmother dated and repeated descriptions of photographs.
Tiffany
Jul 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: true-stories
This book was OK. There is quite a bit of interesting history about West Virginia and the pottery industry, interspersed with tidbits of the author's grandmother's life, which was....odd, to say the least. The book was not unenjoyable, it was just a bit tedious. The picture of West Virginia life was quite interesting, if the family history was not quite so much so.
Carrie
Aug 30, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The grandmother in this story reminded me a lot of my sister and her obsession with makeup and men. Gave me a better understanding of women who put thier outer beauty before their inner beauty.
Kateri Ewing
Apr 24, 2013 Kateri Ewing rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A romping memoir of a sassy Southern woman who more than reminded me of my step-grandma and grandma all rolled into one. Very much enjoyed this and it's a quick read.
Ginny
Sep 04, 2007 Ginny rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because I love Fiesta Ware! It contained so much history within the story, I just couldn't put it down.
Juneus
Jan 26, 2008 Juneus rated it liked it
I read this book for Southern flavor since I was attempting to do some writing in that genre. I enjoyed it.
Animlgrl
Feb 29, 2008 Animlgrl rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-2008
Couldn't get past the 20th page...supposed to be a granddaughters recount of her grandmother's younger days, when it was important to look good and flirt. Bored me out of my mind.
Ginny
Jun 09, 2008 Ginny added it
Interesting book; talks about the glass & pottery companies that thrived in West Virginia...specifically in the Chester/Newll area of WV
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
May 06, 2008
Judi
Judi rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Patti Smith
Patti Smith rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Rhonda Johnson
Rhonda Johnson rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Richele
Richele rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2010
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Julianna Swed
Julianna Swed rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Kristy Thompson
Kristy Thompson rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Paul Corbul
Paul Corbul rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Joellen
Joellen rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Sarah Carney
Sarah Carney rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2008