Start by marking “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Book & CD)” as Want to Read:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Book & CD)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Bill Martin's Bears #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  124,265 Ratings  ·  2,603 Reviews

With more than 7 million copies in print in various formats and languages, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Is one of the most treasured children’s books of all time. Now, more than 40 years after its first printing, this classic is finally available in a new, affordable paperback and CD edition.

The narration, provided by Academy Award winning actress Gwyneth

Audio CD, 25 pages
Published August 4th 2009 by Macmillan Young Listeners (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, please sign up.

Joanie yeah. Eric Carle has such good pictures it's like the whole character of any book he illustrates is comes from his pictures.

Amanda
Jan 19, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: picture-books
Many people may not like this book or think it is too simple a book, not really a story. I think this is a great book. My children love it. It is a perfect book for young children who are just starting to learn letters, their sounds, and words. It is also a great book for those children who may not be great readers. When I taught first grade, I had a few students who weren't able to read. Their confindence level was low and we had a really hard time finding good books that they were able to read ...more
Jfk
Sep 15, 2008 Jfk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Justin Smith and chimpanzees
Recommended to Jfk by: Pilar
Terrible characterization. Blue Horse? What the heck is that!? The plot is monotonous and dull. And the ending...a montage of scenes from the book, and not even a good one! The only thing I can say in its favor is that you can probably get through it in a couple of days.
Igolder
Jul 31, 2013 Igolder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subtexts: perspective, surveillance, paranoia!

I had to read this aloud maybe a hundred nights in a row before I noticed what the text was plainly saying: everyone thinks they are being watched! And ironically, they are the ones doing the watching! From the titular brown bear who is certain that the red bird is watching him/her, each animal is watching an animal and projecting that the very animal they watch, is watching them!

In reality, none of the projected watching is happening. Each animal is
Shoeb Narot
Sep 24, 2011 Shoeb Narot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?’ By Eric Carle.

This is another great picture book by Eric Carle. You could happily read it aloud and enjoy it with a young audience. The children have lots of opportunities to join in, as the book focuses on using rhythmic and repetitive texts throughout. The illustrations are fantastic, a combination of bright eye-catchy colours with lovely examples of tissue paper collages used to represent the animals in the story.

The book begins with the reader askin
Angie **loves angst**
My Kindergarteners made me read this to them five times on Friday at work. Five times!!!!! By the time I was done, I could tell every word to the story without looking at the pages. Some one please save me from pushy five year olds with a penchant for rhyming books.

description
Anittah
Apr 25, 2013 Anittah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bold move to not order the animals according to the ROY G BIV spectrum. Makes it slightly more challenging to memorize. I'm almost there, though.

My eleven week old daughter giggles like a maniac whenever I start reading this book to her, and she is particularly fascinated by the final page. Hence -- because of the maniacal gurgling and concurrent kicking -- five stars, although personally I found the narrative arc a bit flat.
Miranda
I wasn't really into this book when I was little, but this is my daughter's favorite book- so I have to give it 5 star props. Whenever we get to the black sheep, she yells out "BAAAAAA!"

Many mornings she wakes up and demands, "BOOK!" and if I don't pick this one, she yells, "Noooooooo! BOOOOK!" until I read her Brown Bear...
Darcy
Dec 16, 2016 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-h-books
Mom read me this today and I am not ashamed to say I threw a big fit. Not two days ago I heard my doctor specifically tell her that I can't see colors yet, and here she is taunting me with red, yellow, purple, green, etc. etc. GEEEEEEEEEZ! -M
midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Definitely one our favorite books. Great illustrations and fun to say out loud. All my kids pretty much have the book memorized so much so that we recite it in the car. Easy reading, but a good book for an older sibling to read to their younger siblings and a great way to learn colors. A book the whole family loves.
Bam
May 06, 2016 Bam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Do You See? I see another favorite of my grandson's, with rhyming repetition and bright, colorful drawings of animals and people.
Pooja
Jan 30, 2017 Pooja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A fun book that made me smile ear to ear.

Robin Mcilroy
This book is a child's fiction book that follows a rhythmic pattern throughout the story. It introduces colours and potentially new animals to children in a simple yet imaginative way. The story asks certain animals what they can see, to which they answer what they see looking at them. E.g. 'Brown Bear, brown Bear, what do you see?' ... 'I see a red bird looking at me'. This creative rhyming nature continues until the book finishes with a summary of all the animals and things that the 'children' ...more
Beth F.
Nov 03, 2010 Beth F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brigids-books
I've been eyeing this in the book store and thought it looked neat but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $13 on a brand new book that would just be drooled on and sat on and gnawed on and have the spine cracked while testing the physical limits on how far one can turn a page backwards.

And then great grandma sent it to us in a birthday package. Problem solved!

The first time we read this book my daughter had a reaction to every single turn of the page. She gasped, pointed and said things like, "OH!
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
This is the story of a teacher so dedicated that her students simply called her Teacher. She celebrated her classroom's multi-racial, multi-ethnic diversity with an array of class pets: a brown bear, a red bird, a yellow duck, a blue horse, a green frog, a purple cat, a white dog, a black sheep, and a goldfish. Some criticize her teaching methods, citing the dangers of bears in the classroom, but I stand by her choice to lead with alliteration in spite of any potential maulings.
Rossy
Jan 05, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Colors, animals, rhymes, this is so lovely I want to sing!
spilltojill
May 27, 2015 spilltojill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I read this with my children. Classic kids book! They have memorized it they love so much!
Leslie
Sep 12, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the slide and find edition of this book! It is a great way to get kids involved in the book and make it more interesting to them. The interactive feature of the book makes it that much more educational because the kids are learning more than just educational ideas, but also their motor skills. What I like most about this book is that it teaches children their colors and animals and is an easy read. The pictures in this book are much more than just pictures. The pictures are the exact colo ...more
Hayley Swanson
I know this is a classic, but for some reason I just can’t bring myself to enjoy it very much. The illustrations are clearly Eric Carle style, which many kids who are fans of his will be attracted to, and the repetitive nature of the story is a great method of helping early readers to identify similar words, as well as to understand the concept of rhyme. The book also provides lessons about colors and different animals, things kids tend to love very much.

I do question the blue horse, though. It’
Lucia Rial
Jan 15, 2013 Lucia Rial rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oso pardo, Oso Pardo, ¿qué ves ahí? is the Spanish version of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?
Although the original is pitched for the Foundation Stage, the Spanish version is appropriate to use with children in key stage 1 and lower key stage 2, particularly if your teaching children Spanish sentence structures between nouns and adjectives.
I read this book with year 2 and they were absolutely transfixed. The illustrations are bright and the text is big and written in a clear format. M
Chris
Jan 15, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 18 mos - 5
Shelves: children-s-books
I have read this story with my kids (now ages 4 and 3) for many months. The book progresses along in a question/response fashion. The words are simple and repetitive and the colors are plain but vibrant. I like the fact that I can deviate from the story and the words on the page to encourage my kids to think about other senses (what does the brown bear hear?), other animals (what would you call a white bear?), etc.

Much like Eric Carle's other books, the simplicity appeals to my kids and it perm
Michele Stalmer
This book is a fantastic book for teaching children about colors and animals. It would be great to do as a story basket or as a flannel. Children will love the vivid colors and simple text of the book. By two my daughter was "reading" it own her own. It is also a great book to use if you are doing a unit on the five senses for seeing.
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 02, 2007 Efrain Guzman-Rosario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents to read to children
Man!!! This is my all time favorite (Next to the Bible, of course)! Before this was a book, it was a hand out, that I received in Ft. Clayton, Panama in the Curundu Elementary School, where I learned English and refined it with Sesame Street/Plaza Sesamo.

I got this book to pass down an experience I once had.
Brad
I read this waaaaaaay too much, but it is a pretty groovy book to read aloud to the kids. The colours and animals are groovy. The art is amazing painted collage (I love collage, but that is the medium my beautiful artist wife works in, so I am biased), and the rhyme and rhythm really work. Give it a whirl for your girl and/or boy. They'll dig it, even if you get bored.
Asalyn Holliday
Jun 19, 2014 Asalyn Holliday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, rhyming
This book is great for teaching about rhymes and colors. It reminded me of Bill Martin Jr.'s other similar books such as Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? I think that these two books might work well in talking about the five senses as well.
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readings held nightly anywhere from 7pm to 8pm... GBS,jr. invites you to his crib for the "mommy special".
Great book... my son turns the pages himself now and I often find him reading it himself in the mornings.
What a brilliant children's author!
Anna D.
Dec 28, 2015 Anna D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Great for little kids. My nieces and nephew love this book
Columbus
Oct 05, 2016 Columbus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Love Love Love Love Love Love you Brown Bear! That's what I see!
Kellee
First book that Trent reads to himself!!! <3
Sara Ullery
Sep 24, 2016 Sara Ullery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you See? Bill Martin Jr. & Eric Carle Ages 1-4 Grades Early Learning-PreK
• Brown Bear Brown Bear is a delightful story where you find enchanting animals along the way. This book is perfect for toddlers and early readers. With vivid colors throughout the book that capture the attention of young learners this book is sure to be a cherished favorite.
• Teachers may use this for learning Colors, Sight words and Animal identification
• Ages 1-4 Grades Early Learning t
Brigid McMenamin
Jun 04, 2016 Brigid McMenamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Author: Bill Martin Jr.
What do you see?
I see a red bird
Looking at me.
Brief Book Summary:
The book has a different animal on every page and asks them what they see. They respond by saying a different color animal, which will appear on the next page. At the end, the children are asked what they see.
Professional Recommendation
  • Freight Train
  • Swimmy
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • A Good Day
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? (Brown Bear and Friends)