Start by marking “Transgression: A Novel of Love and War” as Want to Read:
Transgression: A Novel of Love and War

Transgression: A Novel of Love and War

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  23 reviews
How can love survive a brutal time?

In 1946 in North America, a child makes a grisly find in a deserted field—a discovery that opens a shuttered window on a secret dating back to the beginning of the turbulent decade.

In 1941 in occupied France, Adele Georges's fruitless attempts to learn the whereabouts of her father, captured by the Nazis, lead her to a lonely young German
Published September 22nd 2009 by Harper Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Transgression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgression

Oh this book... I'll admit that for half of this novel, I skimmed most of it. The Jack and crime-solving portion of the book just seemed boring to me. I don't know if it's because I didn't become emotionally involved with this portion or what. Even the actual crime-solving stuff just made me sigh and try to move along to the Adele portions faster.

The Adele parts, however, were packed with emotion. Seeing what this woman went through because of her choice of love just made my eyes tear up and my
Shawn
At first when I started this novel about a young French woman who is living during the occupation of France during WWII, I was annoyed, as every other chapter it started telling a story about a man that is found murdered in Canada 3 years later. The two conflicting stories were hard to wrap your brain around at first, as there was so much going on in each story and I wanted to remember each detail, as I knew they must come together at some point....

That said, as I got used to it, both stories b
Lorri
The violation of a law, the violation of a duty, are both definitions of the word “transgression“. In the book, Transgression: A Novel of Love and War, by James Nichol, those prime examples of defining the meaning of the word “transgression” are vividly brush stroked with Nichol’s word paintings.

Set during World War II and postwar, the historical aspect of the novel is fascinating, and the story line evokes mystery and intrigue as well. It is a story primarily of war and love, and the confines o
Megan
I picked this up at the library with five other books. I get a lot of books at the library, will start, and if it's good will read the whole book. If not, I'll quit 20 pages in.

It has two stories - one follows a French girl in 1941 trying to discover if her father was killed fighting the Germans. She meets a German soldier trying to find her father and a relationship begins. The other story follows a detective who is trying to figure out why a finger ends up in a rural farm in Cananda, 1946. Th
Chrissy
What a fabulous novel! I purchased this 2nd hand from an online auction and what a find. The novel is two stories in one - that of Jack, a small town police chief in 1946 Canada who is called to investigate a finger found in a field, and of Adele, a young french girl in a war torn French village who meets and falls in love with a young German clerk. The two stories weave and dance together before coming to a crescendo at the final pages of the book.
I could completely empathize with Adele and my
Bree
A compelling story of young love and war. I'm not usually a fan of men writing in the voice of women, but Nichol creates a rich character in Adele. He weaves two complex plots in disparate times and places, and brings them to a crescendo. This book stayed on my mind the 3 days it took me to read it.

My two critiques are that the choppiness of Jack's segments, while they convey his frame of mind, also lead to a distancing of the reader from his character. This particularly noticeable because of h
Jaime
I really enjoyed this book and read it in just about 2 days. It is a romance, but not unbelievably so. The chapters alternate between focusing on characters in France (early 40s) and characters in Canada (mid 40s). It was pretty easy to see how the two were going to come together, but the end took me slightly by surprise. It was very enjoyable seeing how the two stories ended up working together.
Srinivas
Loved reading Adele's story. It was written really well, and kept me hooked all the way to the end.

Was really really bored with Jack's story...skimmed through most of it, actually skipping through some parts.

The ending was managed well though, and brought both the stories together, to a fitting conclusion.
Kelli
This is my second book of 2014 and it was a good one. Crime and mystery are not usually my favorite genre, but this book had me hooked from the start. A forbidden love in France and a murder in Canada collide but its not until the end of the book that the reader finds out how and why.
Sas
I seem to be on a roll with books depicting the horrors of World War II, While I like "Those Who Save Us better, this definitely held my attention. A love story set in Nazi occupied France between a young french girl and a German soldier. Yes, doomed from the start.
Mandy
What a beautiful love story in such an ugly time. This book brings you right into the lives of it's characters and shows you what it was like to be in the time of war. Cover to cover I read this and passed it on to all my favorite readers who also loved it.
Benjamin
Outstanding book, captures war torn France, and love between a German soldier and a woman from Rouen.
Also brings skillfully a murder in Canada in 1946, I am awaiting to see how the author binds them together.
Catherine
I really enjoyed this book. It was sad and hopeful and tragic at times. In the end I realized that all the characters lives were affected by the war, yet in very different ways. Definite recommend.
Katrina Evangelista
I've always liked how the author narrated Adele's perspective.
A very strong yet innocent portrayal of the main character.
The storyline makes you feel nostalgic and warm inside.
Amy
I really wanted to like this book, but it bounced around too much and I couldn't get a sense of anyone because the time jumps happened too quickly.
Jodi
Really enjoyed this one! Skillfully written and quite suspenseful. I couldn't put it down - finished it in 3 sittings.
Noelle Mikkelsen
Thought this book was terrific. Historical fiction, mystery, love story....well-written.
Andy Felt
Great historical fiction about WWII. I was drawn in and couldn't put it down.
Joyce Findlay
I think it was a great read. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.
Lucia
Stunning - from the first page to the last - READ IT!
Jill
Excellent - very complex and moving plot!
Nathalie Melvin
Excellent story!
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Diehüfnerbibliothek
Diehüfnerbibliothek marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Anne M.
Anne M. marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Carli
Carli marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Karyn Palmer
Karyn Palmer marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • Gifts of War
  • House of Ghosts
  • Beautiful Assassin: A Novel
  • Gratitude
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Island Madness
  • The Street Philosopher
  • The Marrowbone Marble Company
  • Mussolini: His Part In My Downfall  (War Memoirs, #4)
  • Devil's Dream: A Novel About Nathan Bedford Forrest
  • Beautiful Maria of My Soul
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
James W. Nichol has been a prominent playwright in Canada since 1970. Midnight Cab was inspired by his immensely popular radio drama of the same name, broadcast on CBC in thirty-five half-hour episodes. He lives in the country near Stratford, Ontario. Midnight Cab won the Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel and was shortlisted for the CCWA Gold Dagger. He is currently working on a second novel ...more
More about James W. Nichol...
The Stone Angel Midnight Cab Death Spiral Nachtrit Midnight Cab: The Mystery of the Vanishing Cab