Start by marking “Transgression” as Want to Read:
Transgression

Transgression

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
How can love survive a brutal time?

In 1946 in North America, a child makes a grisly find in a deserted field—a discovery that opens a shuttered window on a secret dating back to the beginning of the turbulent decade.

In 1941 in occupied France, Adele Georges's fruitless attempts to learn the whereabouts of her father, captured by the Nazis, lead her to a lonely young German
Published September 22nd 2009 by Harper Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Transgression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgression

Lorri
Nov 25, 2012 Lorri rated it really liked it
The violation of a law, the violation of a duty, are both definitions of the word “transgression“. In the book, Transgression: A Novel of Love and War, by James Nichol, those prime examples of defining the meaning of the word “transgression” are vividly brush stroked with Nichol’s word paintings.

Set during World War II and postwar, the historical aspect of the novel is fascinating, and the story line evokes mystery and intrigue as well. It is a story primarily of war and love, and the confines o
Oh this book... I'll admit that for half of this novel, I skimmed most of it. The Jack and crime-solving portion of the book just seemed boring to me. I don't know if it's because I didn't become emotionally involved with this portion or what. Even the actual crime-solving stuff just made me sigh and try to move along to the Adele portions faster.

The Adele parts, however, were packed with emotion. Seeing what this woman went through because of her choice of love just made my eyes tear up and my
Shawn
Oct 06, 2014 Shawn rated it it was amazing
At first when I started this novel about a young French woman who is living during the occupation of France during WWII, I was annoyed, as every other chapter it started telling a story about a man that is found murdered in Canada 3 years later. The two conflicting stories were hard to wrap your brain around at first, as there was so much going on in each story and I wanted to remember each detail, as I knew they must come together at some point....

That said, as I got used to it, both stories b
Megan
Jan 21, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library with five other books. I get a lot of books at the library, will start, and if it's good will read the whole book. If not, I'll quit 20 pages in.

It has two stories - one follows a French girl in 1941 trying to discover if her father was killed fighting the Germans. She meets a German soldier trying to find her father and a relationship begins. The other story follows a detective who is trying to figure out why a finger ends up in a rural farm in Cananda, 1946. Th
Karen
Feb 18, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual Story

I really enjoyed this book. It began with two seemingly unrelated story lines that were four years apart; one in France and one in Canada. As we become acquainted with the characters the interval between the two story shortens. Near the end of the book, the time line as well as the story line merge.
I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual treatment of a murder mystery combined with two love stories.
;
Chrissy
Nov 25, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous novel! I purchased this 2nd hand from an online auction and what a find. The novel is two stories in one - that of Jack, a small town police chief in 1946 Canada who is called to investigate a finger found in a field, and of Adele, a young french girl in a war torn French village who meets and falls in love with a young German clerk. The two stories weave and dance together before coming to a crescendo at the final pages of the book.
I could completely empathize with Adele and my
Marietjie Steyn
Apr 28, 2015 Marietjie Steyn rated it really liked it
Sjoe, dit was 'n goeie storie! Ek kan nie glo dat so min mense die boek gelees het nie. Regtig die moeite werd. Die Tweede Wêreld Oorlog en nadraai daarvan was baie interessant: Wat gebeur as vyande vriende en selfs geliefdes raak...
Bree
May 04, 2010 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
A compelling story of young love and war. I'm not usually a fan of men writing in the voice of women, but Nichol creates a rich character in Adele. He weaves two complex plots in disparate times and places, and brings them to a crescendo. This book stayed on my mind the 3 days it took me to read it.

My two critiques are that the choppiness of Jack's segments, while they convey his frame of mind, also lead to a distancing of the reader from his character. This particularly noticeable because of h
Jaime
Apr 12, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and read it in just about 2 days. It is a romance, but not unbelievably so. The chapters alternate between focusing on characters in France (early 40s) and characters in Canada (mid 40s). It was pretty easy to see how the two were going to come together, but the end took me slightly by surprise. It was very enjoyable seeing how the two stories ended up working together.
Srinivas
Aug 13, 2014 Srinivas rated it liked it
Loved reading Adele's story. It was written really well, and kept me hooked all the way to the end.

Was really really bored with Jack's story...skimmed through most of it, actually skipping through some parts.

The ending was managed well though, and brought both the stories together, to a fitting conclusion.
Kelli
Jan 05, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it
This is my second book of 2014 and it was a good one. Crime and mystery are not usually my favorite genre, but this book had me hooked from the start. A forbidden love in France and a murder in Canada collide but its not until the end of the book that the reader finds out how and why.
Sas
Oct 17, 2009 Sas rated it liked it
I seem to be on a roll with books depicting the horrors of World War II, While I like "Those Who Save Us better, this definitely held my attention. A love story set in Nazi occupied France between a young french girl and a German soldier. Yes, doomed from the start.
Mandy
Apr 11, 2012 Mandy rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful love story in such an ugly time. This book brings you right into the lives of it's characters and shows you what it was like to be in the time of war. Cover to cover I read this and passed it on to all my favorite readers who also loved it.
Benjamin
Nov 21, 2009 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book, captures war torn France, and love between a German soldier and a woman from Rouen.
Also brings skillfully a murder in Canada in 1946, I am awaiting to see how the author binds them together.
Catherine
Aug 19, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was sad and hopeful and tragic at times. In the end I realized that all the characters lives were affected by the war, yet in very different ways. Definite recommend.
Katrina Evangelista
Aug 13, 2014 Katrina Evangelista rated it it was amazing
I've always liked how the author narrated Adele's perspective.
A very strong yet innocent portrayal of the main character.
The storyline makes you feel nostalgic and warm inside.
Amy
Dec 01, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, but it bounced around too much and I couldn't get a sense of anyone because the time jumps happened too quickly.
Jodi
Oct 09, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one! Skillfully written and quite suspenseful. I couldn't put it down - finished it in 3 sittings.
Noelle Mikkelsen
Oct 01, 2012 Noelle Mikkelsen rated it really liked it
Thought this book was terrific. Historical fiction, mystery, love story....well-written.
Andy Felt
Great historical fiction about WWII. I was drawn in and couldn't put it down.
Joyce Findlay
Oct 23, 2012 Joyce Findlay rated it it was amazing
I think it was a great read. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.
Lucia
Jun 30, 2008 Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning - from the first page to the last - READ IT!
Jill
Aug 07, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Excellent - very complex and moving plot!
Nathalie Melvin
Jul 12, 2010 Nathalie Melvin rated it really liked it
Excellent story!
Anne Walbridge
Jan 25, 2010 Anne Walbridge rated it did not like it
Amateurish
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
S Ambrose
S Ambrose marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
'Lana
'Lana marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
  • Gifts of War
  • House of Ghosts
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Gratitude
  • Island Madness
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Beside a Burning Sea
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • The Marrowbone Marble Company
  • Ladysmith
  • Mussolini: His Part In My Downfall  (War Memoirs, #4)
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Devil's Dream
  • How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone
  • Beautiful Maria of My Soul
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
James W. Nichol has been a prominent playwright in Canada since 1970. Midnight Cab was inspired by his immensely popular radio drama of the same name, broadcast on CBC in thirty-five half-hour episodes. He lives in the country near Stratford, Ontario. Midnight Cab won the Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel and was shortlisted for the CCWA Gold Dagger. He is currently working on a second novel ...more
More about James W. Nichol...