Start by marking “Ravenor: The Omnibus (Ravenor, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Ravenor: The Omnibus (Ravenor, #1-3)

Ravenor: The Omnibus (Warhammer 40,000)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,217 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In the war-torn future of the 41st millennium, the Inquisition fights a secret war against the darkest enemies of mankind - the alien, the heretic and the daemon. The three stories in this omnibus tell the tale of Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor and his lethal band of operatives, whose investigations take them from the heart of the Scarus Sector to the wildest regions of space b ...more
Published August 3rd 2009 by Black Library (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ravenor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravenor

Andrew Ziegler
Mick
Collects Ravenor, Ravenor Returned, Ravenor Rogue.

I consider Dan Abnett's previous Inquisition trilogy, collected as the Eisenhorn omnibus, to be among the best examples not just of fiction set within the worlds of Games Workshop's Warhammer and Warhammer 40k universes, but of the tie-in fiction of any setting. That series mixed space opera with horror, detective-work, action, impressive science fiction ideas, and a truly tragic hero to create a fantastic story which went beyond the basic (but f
Nyari
I really enjoyed it, very descriptive and sensitively written. I did however feel that half of the 3rd book was a waste of time. The second half picked up the same pace as the rest of the book and ended with a flourish. I wld recommend.
Jean-Luc
Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy was well-written and popular. Another book in the series was a no brainer. What we got instead was a focus shift to Eisenhorn's interrogator, Gideon Ravenor. After The Atrocity on Thracia Primaris (capital letters, not to be confused with any other atrocity), Ravenor was reduced to pulp. By all rights, he should be dead, but his psyker powers and hatred sustained him long enough for Martian tech priests to entomb him in a mobile coffin. He spent some time studying ...more
Shane
If you have any interest in the Warhammer 40k universe, you owe it to yourself to read this book. It is a very fun read. Of course, literature it is not, but someone looking for a good story can't go wrong.

Having said that, if you haven't read the Eisenhorn trilogy do that first. It's not necessarily better exactly (though very different), but I would say it is as good, it's chronologically first, and provides some background for the stories told here.

One of the things that Mr. Abnett does well
Skut L
This sprawling collection is probably best read in one full sweep, as the stories are interconnected and the dramatic tension builds through the earlier novels. Even though the three main Ravenor books are separated by short stories, it's not jarring to have those pauses. Especially not when the former introduces some important plot points.

I enjoyed the attention to detail in how things functioned, from the grandiosely grotesque societies of 41st millenium from richest to poorest, to the governm
William P.
I think this book was fantastic on a number of levels. The book(s) are great, really a lot of fun. There's detective work, dealings with organized crime, sci-fi action, inter-personal drama, creepy mysticism, and some very nicely Lovecraftian evil. I loved Ravenor, and I'm not 100% sure why. I don't think he'd have been half as engaging if he hadn't narrated almost half the story. The first short story wasn't as interesting as it might have been, but only because it really did require that you k ...more
Kristopher Neidecker
Jul 22, 2011 Kristopher Neidecker rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristopher by: marisa neidecker
Shelves: borrowed
Unlike many of the 4 and 5 star reviews by other readers, I would give this a 3 at best. It was a good enough book (or omnibus of books actually), and it was written well, as Dan Abnett always writes. There was a good bit of twists and turns, well thought out bit characters that show up only to get disposed of in a fashion that foreshadows what the main characters will be dealing with, a fair amount of delving into character histories, etc.

I feel, however, that as great all these bits are, the
Tripp Moultrie
Dan Abnett might just be my favorite writer. I read Eisenhorn before this (I recommend anyone starting WH40k books start there as well) and I am just as impressed by Ravenor. Ravenor's another great addition to the Interrogator chronicals Dan Abnett has writeen for the WH40k universe. I liked Eisenhorn more, but Ravenor is still pretty damn good. Abnett takes us from world to world in pursuit of a brilliant heritic named Molotch. There's a definately a Sherlock Moriarty vibe going on, but it's s ...more
Mateo
It is nice science fiction and a pretty good example of tie-in writing. The author does a very good job, and the series mixes detective work, a little bit of horror and space opera action pretty well. Characters are solid and human enough, despite being ridiculously super human at what they do.

Overall I think this story is good but not excellent, as, in my opinion, it lacks depth and some parts of it are weaker. But you are not reading warhammer 40k novels for depth, are you? Have fun!
James
I've said it before, but if anyone can take the unremittingly grim, guns-and-gore drenched building blocks of the Warhammer 40k world and create something worth reading out of it, it's Dan Abnett. Most 40k books I've come across have been stories of one dimensional warriors with huge guns fighting endless battles, but Abnett inserts two things often missing, plots and characters. The roster of characters in this trilogy actually feel like people, with all their strengths and weaknesses, and wher ...more
Doomsnake Nestrobber
This one would probably deserve a 4 and a half, like alot of books by this guy. While this one had it's share of epic moments, and plenty of funny little dialogues or just those times when you're just getting really into it (ex. psykick mind battle scenes etc.), it also had it's share of dry spots and a few boring stretches of not so actiony stuff.
Overall, it managed to keep my occupied for the couple days it took to read through, and it had me wanting to leave the movies to see what happened in
Angel
It took me a while to read this omnibus, but that is not unusual for me. With books like this, I may read part of it, put it down, take it back up. I will say that, while I liked it, I did not love it. The first novel in the set seemed a bit slow to be honest. I particularly enjoyed the Patience short story, and the last novel did pick up the pace at the end. This is a book that you should read at once. I mean that the novels are so closely linked that they can be read as a single work. Personal ...more
Kayla
Although a little similar to the Eisenhorn omnibus, it was still highly enjoyable and the writing, as always, was the perfect mix of cleverness, sarcasm, and heartfelt emotion.
Rey Mysterioso
Collected the three Ravenor books, the follow-on trilogy to the Eisenhorn epic saga.

You really want to know about these characters and their world. They are a little TOO awesome at what they do, but honestly, they need it, because they are in a hopeless situation, again and again.

I re-read this, even.
Martin
The Ravenor series, follows the Inquisitor Gideon Ravenor and his agents in their quest to root out a Chaos cult and stop their attempts to awaken a greater deamon.

A great adventure yarn and a natural continuation from the Eisenhorn series. What makes Ravenor different are the crippling injuries he suffered earlier in his career. Interred inside a Force Chair he can stretch out with his mind and "wear" the bodies of his agents, meaning that Ravenor can be everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
Hayley
I'm not sure why so many people raved about this. I found it too slow and cold and the characters not relatable enough, especially the protagonist who is barely human. This could have been exploited more to show his evolving detachment but the book opens with him already in that state.

Admittedly I stopped halfway through to read other things because I was getting disenchanted with it. Perhaps if I had continued it would have got better. The main problem is that it seems such a disappintment whe
Jim
Dan Abnett is one of the best writers in the Warhammer 40K universe and he does not disappoint in this series about an offshoot character in his Eisenhorn trilogy. Even if you've no little about the Games Workshop Warhammer 40K ecosystem this is good sci-fi with just enough intrigue and twists and turns and craziness to keep you interested and wanting more. Though I did really enjoy this omnibus I preferred the Eisenhorm more mainly because I guess I enjoyed the Eisenhorn character so much.
Gianfranco Mancini
Degno seguito/spin-off della trilogia di Eisenhorn di cui riprende
tematiche e personaggi aggiungendo una maggiore dose di azione ed ironia.
C'é giusto un enorme errore di continuity.. ma i non esperti dell'ambientazione di W40K non se ne accorgeranno nemmeno.
La fantasia di Dan Abnett é inesauribile ed é diventato in poco tempo uno dei miei autori preferiti.
La saga proseguirà presto con La trilogia di Bequin, Eisenhorn vs Ravenor! Non vedo l'ora. :)
Jerry Haygood
Great omnibus! I love Dan Abnett's work. He is an amazing writer. I gave Ravenor 4 stars because Abnett likes to start alot of his chapters describing the setting and city/planet that the chapter takes place in. That's all fine and well, It just became unbearable by the second book. I found myself skimming the page and a half setting description almost every chapter. Besides that the omnibus was phenomenal. I'm looking forward to The Keeler Image.
Taddow
What can I say? Ravenor is awesome (though not as great as Eisenhorn) and this Omnibus was a good read. There is a lot a character killing (which seems to be an ongoing theme in Abnett's Inqusition-themed books) but that's life in the deadly world of Warhammer 40,000. I will admit (without giving away spoilers) that I thought that some of the mechanisms to resolve prolems were tie plot leads together were a little too "convinent."
Jaye
Well, there goes another literary sockdolager from Dan Abnett. I loved the Eisenhorn omnibus, and this was more of the same.
Christian
Just finished. This bookm is awesome and leaves the Eisenhorn books in the dust. This isn't just fantastic Sci Fi writing; this is fantastic writing PERIOD. The large cast of characters are distinctive, sympathetic, frustrating and all too human. The book, just like in real life, doesn't end in a nice bow with all ends done. I think the Imperial Inquisition is now my favorite part of the Warhammer 40K universe!
Adrian Ayala
An awesome read that revolved around a team which supported an Imperial Inquisitor. Thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait for the next novel in the inquisition series, Pariah: Eisenhorn vs Ravenor.

The novels that made up this omnibus could be read on their own, with the reader not have read the previous, but I would strongly recommend that you read the Eisenhorn series first and then follow up with Ravenor.
Richard
Not as entertaining as Eisenhorn. Ravenor is too aloof as a character and it is difficult to identify with his motivations. The plot is also a little too forced. Whereas each Eisenhorn book was like a stand alone movie with all 3 of them somehow fitting together nicely....each Ravenor book was more like episodes in a long running TV series. It wouldn't make sense if you read the omnibus from the middle.
Gregor Eder
A really great book, because we see other parts of the imperium of mankind. And Ravenor is not the typical hero of this verse who leaps into battle with a sword in one hand and a bolter in the other. And even if I like Space Marines, I appreciate the heros who fight and win without ceramite armour and superhuman bodies.
Eric
Great book, love his work. He's very detail and injects so much action into his writing that I cannot put down his books. I literally spend nights reading until I finish the book. Does an amazing job of balancing detailed descriptions as not to over exaggerate or make things dull and cheesy
Rick
A worthy successor to the Eisenhorn trilogy so far. Not as grim-dark as your typical 40K fair. So far Abnett does not disappoint. Sprawling space fantasy with a noir twist. Really enjoying it!!
Jeremy
Dan Abnett is the best author in the Black Library by far. Both Ravenor and Eisenhorn are told with such attention to detail and clarity that is not common among authors in the Black Library. Also, the story line is just damn fantastic. Can't wait for the sequel to Pariah...
  • The Ultramarines Omnibus
  • Fallen Angels
  • Tales of Heresy
  • Deliverance Lost
  • Battle of the Fang

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 596 books)
  • Horus Rising