Start by marking “Thor, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Thor, Vol. 2

Thor, Vol. 2 (Thor by J. Michael Straczynski #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,809 ratings  ·  59 reviews
With the mighty God of Thunder and Asgard to full glory, Thor is back in action with a vengeance! Now, for the first time since their rebirth, Thor and his fellow hero-gods must venture forth from the Shining City to confront the growing evils that amass on their horizon - and within their walls.
Published August 26th 2009 by Marvel Comics (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thor, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor, Vol. 2

StoryTellerShannon
So as an audience we know to NEVER EVER trust Loki but since the Asgardian realm has been reset I suppose it's somewhat forgivable certain figures trust the trickster of tricksters.

The tale opens with Odin dead and Thor as the king of Asgard which includes Thor having broken time to bring back his realm and its people. For whatever reason and perhaps as an inside joke to fans Asgard now floats over Oklahoma, allowing mortals to pay to use telescopes to get brief views of the Norse Gods.

Loki is u
Kemper
The second volume of J. Michael Straczynski's update of Thor is even more fun than the first. The idea of Asgard now being in a field in Oklahoma continues to provide plenty of laughs as well as serious questions about what the various inhabitants are supposed to do in a humdrum realm like Earth. Thor also works through some daddy issues, and Loki is cooking up another fiendish plot.

My favorite bit was Thor paying his respects to the recently deceased Captain America. It got me even more revved
Sesana
I loved the previous volume of Thor. I love the idea of Asgard floating over the American heartland while tourists peer through telescopes to get a glimpse of the gods. I love how Loki is using his new, female body to manipulate the Asgardians in ways that would be closed to him otherwise. Loki is obviously a changed person, you can clearly see that, so you should give Loki a chance to prove it. Watching Loki's schemes unfurl has been a pleasure.

But I'd say that the best issue would be the trib
Dan
What a read...with all the double-crossing, behind the scenes scheming, and high fantasy, I kept getting the fleeting feeling that I was reading a graphic adaption of a George R.R. Martin book.
We find out the fates of a few more of the restored Asgardians (and a few whom have yet to technically return), along with a nice moment of Thor dealing with the death of Captain America while he himself was dead. It all leads up to the big finale fight between Thor and someone quite unexpected, yet tragi
Nick
The seeds lain in Volume 1 of JMS's run on Thor come to fruition in Volume 2, kicking this series into a higher gear. Once the formalities are out of the way, JMS is able to delve into the psyche of a god, lost in a foreign world, struggling to find purpose. As the chapters pass by, Thor is joined in this befuddlement by his fellow risen Asgardians. These are not mere men but other-worldly beings who are accustomed to waging war, and constantly proving the mark of vigilance and valor. While a ce ...more
Sara
Picked these up because I remember the excitement when the Lady!Loki arc was happening, plus it's time I read some actual Thor comics. This volume is set right after Thor has stopped the cycle of Ragnarok and brought Asgard and its people back to life in a field in Oklahoma, and the Asgardians are trying to adjust to all the changes.

I'm afraid I'm not too impressed by it. I find a lot of the character designs annoying; especially Thor, whose face is too broad for his tiny facial features and loo
Anna
An absolutely fantastic book, with gorgeous art to match!

I've never been into Thor, and while trade 1 was mostly along the lines of "um.. who and what now?", this book took the time to lay out the characters and explain backgrounds and then twist it all up spectacularly! plus Loki. Never could walk away from a book featuring a psychotic villain carefully & deliberately laying out the vengeance plans

trade 3, you got some pretty big expectations to fulfill after this
Adam
J. Michael Straczynski's run writing on Thor has so far been the most enjoyable and involving iteration of the character I've had the pleasure to read. I love both Norse mythology and pulp fantasy, so I'm predisposed to like the character, but he's still a character that is abysmal when written poorly. The art by Olivier Coipel and Marko Djurdjevic is great as well, and perfectly tells the story.
Kat
Great fun, even more enjoyable than the previous volume, although I was sad that Coipel didn't draw all of the chapters. Loki, in female form, slithers creepily about, wreaking his/her customary havoc; by the end of the book I was shouting, "Oh, shut UP, Loki!" every time she appeared. Seriously, why did anybody, especially Balder, listen to anything she said? Guys, here's a hint: when somebody says, "I did not lie to you, and I'm not lying now," odds are good SHE IS LYING.

As with the previous v
Alain Burrese
This collection of Thor comics includes Thor #7-12 and the giant-sized #600. My daughter brought it home from the library, but quickly lost interest. Thor being one of my favorites when I was young, I picked it up to read before we have to return it. I see why my 9 year old daughter didn't get into it the way she did some of the collections of the first Thor comics. The story was a bit hard to follow, especially if you were not “up” with the current story lines.

While I enjoyed it for old times
Jaime
Thor, Vol. 1 established the return of Thor with a bold reimagining. Summoned from the void by Donald Blake, Thor goes about rebuilding Asgard in the wake of Civil War. Volume 2 picks up with Thor who has awakened all the sleeping gods and must enter Thorsleep to replenish his power. Meanwhile, Lady Loki's machinations become more apparent (to the reader, at least) as she ingratiates herself to Balder with the truth - that he too is a son of Odin - in order to make her lies more palatable. Inter ...more
hd
Shannon Appelcline
The second volume continues with the strengths of the first: generally epic storytelling and great characters.

Father Issues (7-8). To a certain extent, this story finishes off the arc from the previous volume, concerning the return of the Asgardians. And, it's a really beautiful issue, because of Odin's story of Bors, because of the parallels with Thor, and because of Don's reunion with Jane. All wonderfully told and very human [9/10].

Loki & Baldur (9-12). It's amazing how little Thor turns
Jeffrey
Having built the foundations of his story in Thor Vol. 1, J. Michael Straczynski now focuses upon Thor and his family, mostly upon him, his father, and his brother Loki. Inside this volume, we learn about the fate of Odin, who died saving Thor. We learn about why Thor has not returned Odin to the living and why this makes sense within Odin's own history. We also learn more about Loki and how, as much as he is inclined to blame others for his situation in life, ultimately, he is personally respon ...more
Erik
Unlike fabled lightening, Straczynski strikes twice here in his second volume of the newest adventures of the Norse god of thunder. Having resurrected Asgard in the middle of America’s heartland in volume one, Thor and his mortal alter ego Donald Blake pursue their separate journeys – Thor to find his long-lost grandfather Bor, father of Odin, and Blake to find the long-lost Sif. What unfolds can only be the work of Loki, Thor’s half-brother and nemesis. Needless to say, Straczynski leaves many ...more
Cindy
First off, I had no idea this was volume 2. Now I really want to read volume 1.

Anyway, this was actually a fine collection. The art is utterly superb, and I really love all the little details and how heavy and real everyone looks -- everyone except Thor, that is (That's a little weird, to be honest.). The writing is also really interesting, and I'm loving the time travel and how Loki is so masterfully manipulating everyone. Here's a real example of how Loki is not just a trickster but actually e
Joe Young
4/5

J. Michael Straczynski - writer
Olivier Coipel / Marko Djurdjevic - artists

Thor is back and he's re-created Asgard in Oklahoma, which is pretty awesome. He's also brought back pretty much all the Asgardians lost during Ragnarok, with the notable exceptions of Sif (Thor's main squeeze) and Odin. So Thor goes into the Odin-sleep to meditate and go on a vision quest to figure out what's going on. Loki has come back as a lady, and pretends to be all about being virtuous and protecting Asgard, but
Xanthi
I found a lot of this graphic novel confusing, as I seemed to have entered the story kind of in the middle. I managed to muddle my way through it, anyway. I liked the graphics, though female Loki sometimes looked like Marilyn Manson on some of the pages.
William Johnson
It kind of goes away from what made the beginning of JMS' run so perfect (mainly the idea of Gods living in normal society) and instead goes deeper into the mythology of Asgard, Odin, and many of the nine realms.

Also, Loki's main plot, while ultimately paying off, relies on our heroes being dumber then bags of rocks. Loki steals the show but mainly because Thor and especially Balder, are stupid. This is not exactly GREAT storytelling.

The art is first rate which aids the storytelling and, as usua
Michelle
The art in this book is amazing, and the storytelling even more so. I was enthralled, and the final battle sequence at the end was devastating and wonderful and just...I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Jeff Lanter
My original review got wiped so this will be short. The excellent plot and character development continues here. This version of Thor feels Shakespearean at times with the family drama and I really love that. It is impressive how many characters are in the story now and how the writer balances it all out as well. Loki forces the writer to create a great plot worthy of his talents too. The art is starting to become split between two artists with different styles, but I can live with that since th ...more
Jerry Daniels
In this second volume of the Thor series, author J. Michael Straczynski focuses more on Thor's family dynamic to bring a story about inheriting the throne of Asgard as the Norse God of Thunder continues his quest to reclaim all he once lost -- particularly his love, Lady Sif, and his father, Odin. In bringing back Odin's character, Straczynski explores Thor's reason for being and offers an historical perspective for Loki, Thor's villainous adopted brother reincarnated in female form since the fi ...more
Julie
Loki, you shit. :)
Fizzgig76
Reprints Thor #7-12, 600. Thor finishes his search for the lost gods of Asgard and Loki launches her plot against Thor. The second volume of Thor does improve on the poor first volume of Thor. It is a "good" trade but not a great trade. Thor is almost a non-character within his own series, and the supporting cast is the only reason to read the series. Loki and Balder are better written than Thor but in a real sense I still doubt anyone would believe Loki enough that her plot would work.
Joshua
Honestly, why would you ever trust Loki? Has there ever been a time in his existence that he's never tried to pit people against each other, tried to bring about the death of Thor or the fall of Asghard? So why, even after he's been reborn, would you expect him to do anything else but the same old thing? Thor should've just caved his head in as soon as he encountered him again. Would've saved a lot of trouble.
Brad
The epic storytelling continues, this time with an actual villain. The first two issues, with a fill-in artist, are confusing. But it all ends nicely with one of those battles based on an unnecessary confusion between two gods/heroes that should actually be pals. That fight leads to what could be an interesting next quest/chapter for Thor. JMS is writing the hero/mythic/operatic tone perfectly.
Steve
This is a superior story. Never read any Thor stories before. If they were like this one I've been missing out. The restored gods are not only having a difficult time adjusting to their new home, Loki has a plan and that surely means trouble. There is a lot of intrigue going on in this volume. The interplay between the characters is fascinating. I'm looking forward to see where it all ends.
Jake
Really enjoying Thor's story. Loki's manipulations of the past are an interesting touch, but his/her deceptions in Asgard are a little tired. Understandably, Loki is by definition deceptive, but it just seems like the same old song. Really enjoying following Thor's navigation of his status as ruler of Asgard, and newly revived hero. Looking forward to the next volume.
Mike
Fascinating tale between Thor and Odin - befitting the recasting of the Thor mythos. Great moments of humour - well-thought-out with new ideas (at least to me). Loki's machinations are ever sly, subtle and troublesome. Loki's on a slow burn to destabilise the new Asgard. Fun, good story. Nice emotional undercurrent between Bill and Kelda.
Quinton Baran
I enjoyed this volume a little more then the first, which I quite enjoyed. It ends on such a cliffhanger, that I now want to find more of the story and continue on. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy Thor before I read these volumes, but I was very impressed.
  • Siege
  • Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself Fallout
  • Thor: The Trials of Loki
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 2: The Burden of Dreams
  • Thor/Loki: Blood Brothers
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski...
Superman: Earth One Thor, Vol. 1 Civil War: The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home Civil War: The Road to Civil War