Start by marking “Thor, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Thor, Vol. 2

Thor, Vol. 2 (Thor by J. Michael Straczynski #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,531 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
With the mighty God of Thunder and Asgard to full glory, Thor is back in action with a vengeance! Now, for the first time since their rebirth, Thor and his fellow hero-gods must venture forth from the Shining City to confront the growing evils that amass on their horizon - and within their walls.
Published August 26th 2009 by Marvel Comics (first published May 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thor, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor, Vol. 2

Jeff
Jan 21, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Verily, this is one busy Thor book (hint: it’s a volume 2).

- It’s post-Ragnarok, the great Norse battle to the death, lots of Norse gods died but Thor made most of them better except Sif (missing in action) and Odin (see Daddy issues further down in this review). Thor’s in charge of their days and their nights and he’s in charge of their wrongs and their rights.

- Asgard has fallen and it can’t get up somewhere west of Prairie Dog's Butt, Oklahoma. Asgardians have to deal with a certain degree of
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Raganrok has passed! Thor has been reborn! And he has painstakingly revived as many Asgardians as he could find on Midgard . . . including Loki in his new form as the Goddess of Mischief.

description

But while Loki is up to his normal mischief (pretending to have changed but scheming to destroy all Thor loves), the Asgard Thor has built is proving itself to be far different from the old one. Floating above the plains of Oklahoma instead of the realm of Odin, this Asgard is
StoryTellerShannon
So as an audience we know to NEVER EVER trust Loki but since the Asgardian realm has been reset I suppose it's somewhat forgivable certain figures trust the trickster of tricksters.

The tale opens with Odin dead and Thor as the king of Asgard which includes Thor having broken time to bring back his realm and its people. For whatever reason and perhaps as an inside joke to fans Asgard now floats over Oklahoma, allowing mortals to pay to use telescopes to get brief views of the Norse Gods.

Loki is u
Sesana
Jun 28, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I loved the previous volume of Thor. I love the idea of Asgard floating over the American heartland while tourists peer through telescopes to get a glimpse of the gods. I love how Loki is using his new, female body to manipulate the Asgardians in ways that would be closed to him otherwise. Loki is obviously a changed person, you can clearly see that, so you should give Loki a chance to prove it. Watching Loki's schemes unfurl has been a pleasure.

But I'd say that the best issue would be the trib
Jesse A
Another excellent volume of this version of Thor. With a decidedly more devious and evil version of Loki. Well done.
Kemper
Nov 11, 2011 Kemper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
The second volume of J. Michael Straczynski's update of Thor is even more fun than the first. The idea of Asgard now being in a field in Oklahoma continues to provide plenty of laughs as well as serious questions about what the various inhabitants are supposed to do in a humdrum realm like Earth. Thor also works through some daddy issues, and Loki is cooking up another fiendish plot.

My favorite bit was Thor paying his respects to the recently deceased Captain America. It got me even more revved
Mike
Jan 23, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating tale between Thor and Odin - befitting the recasting of the Thor mythos. Great moments of humour - well-thought-out with new ideas (at least to me). Loki's machinations are ever sly, subtle and troublesome. Loki's on a slow burn to destabilise the new Asgard. Fun, good story. Nice emotional undercurrent between Bill and Kelda.
Gavin
May 08, 2016 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4-stars, extra added for the Cap spirit issue. 2 Titans who'd been dead for a long time, passing like ships in the night...reconnect for a few powerful moments.

Also, Thor fights Surtur alongside Odin, and is tricked into fighting Bor (gramps) by Loki, which then is used to trick Baldur, the new leader of Asgard.

Loki time travels and it makes sense. Also reverts to his old form, and explains the female one.

Jane and Don connect, and Don and Thor have a funny relationship.

Thor calls the Avengers fo
Blindzider
Jun 14, 2015 Blindzider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I've been a fan of Marko Djurdjević's painted work and this is the first time I've seen his sequential art and it's really good!

The story reaches it's mid-point here (sort of the Empire Strikes Back chapter) where things get dark for the Thor. There's a lot of setup and maneuvering of pieces for the finale. Still worth reading and keeping my interest.
Joseph
Feb 19, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty exciting! Thor is once again embroiled in one of Loki's machinations, and this time Loki has the upper hand! And what is his plan involving Dr Doom?

JMS writes a story that is almost all Norse god stuff, and it's good. Back stories, frost giants, Balder claiming his rightful heritage, it's all nicely spaced out and weaves a pretty thick web for Thor to stumble into. The scenes involving Dr Don Blake and Jane Foster are also pretty nice, and set up some good subplots going forward.
Dan
Jun 14, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2009
What a read...with all the double-crossing, behind the scenes scheming, and high fantasy, I kept getting the fleeting feeling that I was reading a graphic adaption of a George R.R. Martin book.
We find out the fates of a few more of the restored Asgardians (and a few whom have yet to technically return), along with a nice moment of Thor dealing with the death of Captain America while he himself was dead. It all leads up to the big finale fight between Thor and someone quite unexpected, yet tragi
Nick
Apr 11, 2011 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The seeds lain in Volume 1 of JMS's run on Thor come to fruition in Volume 2, kicking this series into a higher gear. Once the formalities are out of the way, JMS is able to delve into the psyche of a god, lost in a foreign world, struggling to find purpose. As the chapters pass by, Thor is joined in this befuddlement by his fellow risen Asgardians. These are not mere men but other-worldly beings who are accustomed to waging war, and constantly proving the mark of vigilance and valor. While a ce ...more
Kristen
Okay, now things are getting more interesting! The real action is happening, with Loki doing some very Loki-esque things... I'd be more specific but spoilers. Let's just say, if you liked vol 1, you'll like vol 2 more. The slower pace of vol 1's setup is paying off.
mediumlysocial
Feb 10, 2016 mediumlysocial rated it really liked it
Idiot that I am, I saw this volume and made instant grabby hands because the name J. Michael Straczynski is on my reading list. A few pages in, my tiny brain jerked to a stop and went 'haaaaang on' as I thought it was odd that there appeared to be no real explanation for Loki strutting about in Sif's body, for Baldur moping around like he's being played by Christian Bale and for Asgard floating over Oklahoma.

Once I realised I had become overly excited on seeing this in the library and was in fac
Sally
May 02, 2014 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aacpl-books
Picked these up because I remember the excitement when the Lady!Loki arc was happening, plus it's time I read some actual Thor comics. This volume is set right after Thor has stopped the cycle of Ragnarok and brought Asgard and its people back to life in a field in Oklahoma, and the Asgardians are trying to adjust to all the changes.

I'm afraid I'm not too impressed by it. I find a lot of the character designs annoying; especially Thor, whose face is too broad for his tiny facial features and loo
Anna
Dec 15, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
An absolutely fantastic book, with gorgeous art to match!

I've never been into Thor, and while trade 1 was mostly along the lines of "um.. who and what now?", this book took the time to lay out the characters and explain backgrounds and then twist it all up spectacularly! plus Loki. Never could walk away from a book featuring a psychotic villain carefully & deliberately laying out the vengeance plans

trade 3, you got some pretty big expectations to fulfill after this
Adam
Jun 10, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
J. Michael Straczynski's run writing on Thor has so far been the most enjoyable and involving iteration of the character I've had the pleasure to read. I love both Norse mythology and pulp fantasy, so I'm predisposed to like the character, but he's still a character that is abysmal when written poorly. The art by Olivier Coipel and Marko Djurdjevic is great as well, and perfectly tells the story.
Kat
Oct 05, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Great fun, even more enjoyable than the previous volume, although I was sad that Coipel didn't draw all of the chapters. Loki, in female form, slithers creepily about, wreaking his/her customary havoc; by the end of the book I was shouting, "Oh, shut UP, Loki!" every time she appeared. Seriously, why did anybody, especially Balder, listen to anything she said? Guys, here's a hint: when somebody says, "I did not lie to you, and I'm not lying now," odds are good SHE IS LYING.

As with the previous v
Alain Burrese
Jan 18, 2014 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
This collection of Thor comics includes Thor #7-12 and the giant-sized #600. My daughter brought it home from the library, but quickly lost interest. Thor being one of my favorites when I was young, I picked it up to read before we have to return it. I see why my 9 year old daughter didn't get into it the way she did some of the collections of the first Thor comics. The story was a bit hard to follow, especially if you were not “up” with the current story lines.

While I enjoyed it for old times
Mouse
Oct 08, 2015 Mouse rated it it was amazing
First off the art in this is just stunning! It's amazingly vibrant, detailed, and just gorgeous, all that a comic should be!
This is one of those epic tales of mythology that deserves a place in the pantheons of comic book greatness!

I once read an issue of Heavy Metal Magazine that had the Epic of Gilgamesh and it was so epic and had incredible art and the writing was done very well and I compared this Thor trade paperback to it!
I love that even with the main story arcs, this takes some time to
J'aime
Oct 29, 2012 J'aime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thor, Vol. 1 established the return of Thor with a bold reimagining. Summoned from the void by Donald Blake, Thor goes about rebuilding Asgard in the wake of Civil War. Volume 2 picks up with Thor who has awakened all the sleeping gods and must enter Thorsleep to replenish his power. Meanwhile, Lady Loki's machinations become more apparent (to the reader, at least) as she ingratiates herself to Balder with the truth - that he too is a son of Odin - in order to make her lies more palatable. Inter ...more
Shannon Appelcline
The second volume continues with the strengths of the first: generally epic storytelling and great characters.

Father Issues (7-8). To a certain extent, this story finishes off the arc from the previous volume, concerning the return of the Asgardians. And, it's a really beautiful issue, because of Odin's story of Bors, because of the parallels with Thor, and because of Don's reunion with Jane. All wonderfully told and very human [9/10].

Loki & Baldur (9-12). It's amazing how little Thor turns
Jeffrey
Having built the foundations of his story in Thor Vol. 1, J. Michael Straczynski now focuses upon Thor and his family, mostly upon him, his father, and his brother Loki. Inside this volume, we learn about the fate of Odin, who died saving Thor. We learn about why Thor has not returned Odin to the living and why this makes sense within Odin's own history. We also learn more about Loki and how, as much as he is inclined to blame others for his situation in life, ultimately, he is personally respon ...more
Erik
Jun 18, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike fabled lightening, Straczynski strikes twice here in his second volume of the newest adventures of the Norse god of thunder. Having resurrected Asgard in the middle of America’s heartland in volume one, Thor and his mortal alter ego Donald Blake pursue their separate journeys – Thor to find his long-lost grandfather Bor, father of Odin, and Blake to find the long-lost Sif. What unfolds can only be the work of Loki, Thor’s half-brother and nemesis. Needless to say, Straczynski leaves many ...more
Cindy
Jun 29, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I had no idea this was volume 2. Now I really want to read volume 1.

Anyway, this was actually a fine collection. The art is utterly superb, and I really love all the little details and how heavy and real everyone looks -- everyone except Thor, that is (That's a little weird, to be honest.). The writing is also really interesting, and I'm loving the time travel and how Loki is so masterfully manipulating everyone. Here's a real example of how Loki is not just a trickster but actually e
Phillip
Jan 21, 2016 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comics, marvel
A respectable continuation of the series. Thor struggles with the absence of Odin, Loki schemes against his(her?) brothers, and Balder comes into the spotlight. I would like to have seen more development between Asgard and the mortals. The appearance of the Avengers and the final battle were well done.
Joe Young
Jun 23, 2012 Joe Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

J. Michael Straczynski - writer
Olivier Coipel / Marko Djurdjevic - artists

Thor is back and he's re-created Asgard in Oklahoma, which is pretty awesome. He's also brought back pretty much all the Asgardians lost during Ragnarok, with the notable exceptions of Sif (Thor's main squeeze) and Odin. So Thor goes into the Odin-sleep to meditate and go on a vision quest to figure out what's going on. Loki has come back as a lady, and pretends to be all about being virtuous and protecting Asgard, but
Lisa
Aug 16, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as good as the first one. Going from 1 to 2 it took me a while to get what was going on. Even then the story did not make much sense to me. I think that i am more interested in where is Sif and what is she doing?
Xanthi
Jul 26, 2014 Xanthi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found a lot of this graphic novel confusing, as I seemed to have entered the story kind of in the middle. I managed to muddle my way through it, anyway. I liked the graphics, though female Loki sometimes looked like Marilyn Manson on some of the pages.
William Johnson
It kind of goes away from what made the beginning of JMS' run so perfect (mainly the idea of Gods living in normal society) and instead goes deeper into the mythology of Asgard, Odin, and many of the nine realms.

Also, Loki's main plot, while ultimately paying off, relies on our heroes being dumber then bags of rocks. Loki steals the show but mainly because Thor and especially Balder, are stupid. This is not exactly GREAT storytelling.

The art is first rate which aids the storytelling and, as usua
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Thor/Loki: Blood Brothers
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1
  • Avengers Disassembled: Thor
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski...

Thor by J. Michael Straczynski (3 books)
  • Thor, Vol. 1 (Thor Vol. III, #1)
  • Thor, Vol. 3