Start by marking “Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes #1)” as Want to Read:
Whack 'N' Roll (Bunco Babes #1)

Whack 'N' Roll (Kate McCall #1)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Bunco Babes are not your average retires ...When not rolling the bones, they like to throw themselves into a juicy mystery.But murder can be a dicey business ....The sixty-ish set at Serenity Cove Estates in South Carolina certainly knows how to keep active. When not playing Bunco or putting the greens, they are gossiping-and partying. So it-s no surprise that when Kat ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Whack 'N' Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whack 'N' Roll

Lisa Kay
★★★★½ Great book. I didn't want it to end. Luckily, there are more in the series.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I enjoyed this group of characters that have bonded together and support each other while the main sleuth, Kate goes off determined to find out what happened to one of their own.

This was my first introduction to the social game known as Bunco. What a nice gathering to mainly socialize with each other. I wouldn't mind joining a like group.

When a substitute player goes missing, the gang of ladies realize there are three women unaccunted for in their retirement community. Then, a golf foursome find
Ronna
Kate and her group of Bunco Babes enjoy an active life in the retirement community of Serenity Cove, SC. Their weekly Bunco dice game, shopping, and golf keep these ladies enjoying life. They are also great fans of the CSI TV show, but when they find a human arm in a Wal-Mart bag on the golf green, the forensic fun comes a little too close to home. Kate tries to 'help' the Sheriff, but he's not 'listening' to her suggestions, so Kate enlists the Bunco Babes to do some investigating themselves.

Th
Judy Iliff
I do not enjoy leading women characters who are idiots. I don't find them funny, and I sure don't see them as doing any justice to the role of woman as independent beings. I finished this book only because I'd downloaded it to my Kindle. I won't be buying any more by this author. Perhaps the main character was suppose to be naive, but to me she was more ridiculous than intelligent. The ending was so much better than the first 3/4 of the book. There was even more development of the character than ...more
Just discovered this series; the story line drags, is slow-moving thru-out the entire book...I'm hoping this is just because it's a 1st? the premise of the story and it's characters can become a "fun read" if the plot quickens.
Christine
I'm not expecting much from this book, but I won it at Bunco, so I want to give it a try. In the first couple of pages of this mystery, the main character is golfing and is using her driver on the 120-yard par 3. My husband says the real mystery is why she is using her driver on a 120-yard par 3. Funny husband!

OK, this was definately not great literature, but I enjoyed it more than I thought. Having said that though, I would't recommend it to anyone. There really isn't any character depth. The p
VJ
Not bad. The sleuth of the story was quite interesting. She seems to have been written with a decent personality. The normal suspension of belief for the cozy genre is needed.

The murderer wasn't immediately apparent. There are a few red herrings (all of which I were cheering for them to be found innocent!), but you kinda get the feeling that the perp will end up being the perp. I guessed it, but not immediately. I figured it out about halfway through, but was kept second-guessing until nearly th
ChrisGA
This is an enjoyable cozy mystery with a lively, active 60+ heroine, Kate, who defies the label of little old lady as she sets out with her Tools of the Trade detective kit to solve the disappearance of several of her friends and the murder of the body that belongs to the arm she uncovered on the golf course. She is aided by her fellow Bunco Babes. Kate is a combination clever and incurably naïve amateur sleuth, but this adds to the fun of the book.
Melanie Smith
I will not tell a lie. I have passed up this book a couple of times and thought "anh, maybe later." Well, later finally came and I really enjoyed this first book of a series. I have even gotten the other two.
I love the characters and the storyline is good. I hope that I have a place to live like this when I retire. I usually do not go for books with more than 3 or 4 characters, I tend to not be able to keep them straight, but each character is so unique, that you "bond" with each one. This book
Carol
The first book in a series about an "older" widow, Kate McCall, who lives in a retirement community in South Carolina who find a dismembered arm on the golf course as she and her friends are playing golf. And so starts the figuring out of who the arm belongs to and who was the killer. Kate has 3 friends who are 'missing' and she and her friends try to locate where they are and if they are OK, one of them is not!!And is the killer the new man in her life??? This is a low key mystery with no langu ...more
Susan
Twelve ladies--some retired--play the innocuous game of Bunco regularly. When a foursome of them, including widowed Ohioan Kate McCall, find a severed body part in the rough, Kate--a big fan of televised crime--gets involved with investigating on her own. She's especially worried because several of her friends seem to be missing, not to mention the friendly waitress at the local cafe. Despite repeated warnings from the stern local sheriff, Kate manages to get herself into big trouble.
Anne-marie
This is hilarious so far. A group of friends who play bunco, were golfing one day and find a body part in a bag in the rough: an arm. One asks who it could belong to and one of the ladies says they will look for the person walking lopsided. Can't wait to finish this.
Lisa McCall Hodgson
You have to suspend disbelief when rating a book like this. It's a light, cozy mystery, not necessarily meant to have a tight or extremely plausible plot. My rating is based purely on entertainment value. Kate is a very funny narrator.
Kim
I found this book browsing the library shelves, and it was a great find. I enjoy the community of women, and the comparisons of north and south living. I look forward to the others in the series.
TeraD
Cute murder mystery with a bunco-playing retiree as the busybody protagonist set on solving the case.
Erin
I really enjoyed the story. I hated the main character. Even some of her friends grated on my nerves.
Mendy
This one felt like an annoying woman interfering in police business
Shoshana
I have pretty low standards for mysteries, but this was just bad.
Deb
Not very exciting. An old version of Nancy Drew I guess.
Vicky
I really enjoy "old lady" crime fighters!
Sara
I had higher hopes for this book. 2 1/2 stars.
Janel
I don't recommend this series.
Elaine
#1 in Bunco series
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Karen Berzins
Karen Berzins marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Craig Thomas-Forss
Craig Thomas-Forss marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • Golden Malicious (Orchard, #7)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Domestic Diva
  • Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Murder On Monday
  • Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)
  • Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Freezer I'll Shoot (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3)
Rosemary and Crime: A Spice Shop Mystery 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2) Shake, Murder, and Roll (Bunco Babes Mystery, #3) Kill 'Em with Cayenne: A Spice Shop Mystery Kill 'Em with Cayenne