Start by marking “The Grey Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Grey Fairy Book

The Grey Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #6)

The Grey Fairy Book, the sixth in the series, was originally published in 1900. This edition contains all thirty-five of the original stories and all fifty-eight of the original black-and-white illustrations. *** The collections were specifically intended for children, and consequently edited for that end. *** When Andrew began publishing these books there were almost no E ...more
Published May 21st 2009 by Flying Chipmunk Publishing (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Fairy Book

Michael Fierce
Jan 29, 2015 Michael Fierce marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael Fierce by: Leisa
Would love to have the original Hardcover edition with this same cover used for the Kindle
 description

But, this one's a real hoot, too!

description
Richard
Nov 27, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always fascinating discoveries -Ketke's storehouse gets raided in fine style this time around as does Cabinet des Fees. Always maddening omissions -where the Hell did The Sunchild come from? Always amazing that this series was aimed at AND LOVED BY children.
Erik
Jan 01, 2016 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this a year ago along with The Olive Fairy Book. Unfortunately for me, my copy doesn't include illustrations and on some of the pages the quotation marks are messed-up. (It probably came from a cheapo publishing house.) Despite that, I still enjoyed the book quite a bit. There's a wide variety of sources included, which I like too.

My favorite stories:
- An Impossible Enchantment (the best one in the collection IMO)
- Fortunatus and his Purse
- The Goat-Faced Girl
- The Story of the Queen of th
Amalie
"Prunella"'s source unidentified. The source for this tale can be from oral traditions, and others from French, German or Italian collections.

*spoiler*

Seven years old girl used to pick ripe plums from a wild plum tree. Each morning the child would pick one, and put it into her pocket to eat at school. For this reason she was called Prunella.

The tree belonged to A witch, one day she caught her and she dragged Prunella into her house.

Prunella grew up into a very beautiful girl and the witch bec
Mary Catelli
This one has a fair variety. A number of Arabic -- or arabesque -- ones, some of which I recognized from a more literal translation (this turns ghouls into witches and ogres). Some prolonged literary ones, which were not to my taste. I particularly liked "The Story of Bensurdatu", "The Magician's Horse," "the White Wolf," "The Bear," and "Laughing Eye and Weeping Eye." All which I think I have read before as variants earlier in the series. Interesting to see what twists are put on them. (It feat ...more
Hank
May 21, 2007 Hank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childhood
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
Susan Molloy
The thirty-five stories in this book are derived from Portuguese, Italian, French, and German fairy story traditions. Included are such favorites as “ The Dog and the Sparrow,” “What Came of Picking Flowers,” Prunella,” “Mohammed with the Magic Finger,” and “The Daughter of Buk Ettemsuch,” including many more. My favorite is “The Goat-faced Girl,” which lays out the perils of not being grateful for good things received.

These are the refreshingly original versions, in all their straightforward, b
Sol González
Jul 17, 2012 Sol González rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuento, 2012
Este es uno de los libros que nunca me he arrepentido de comprar, ya que en cualquier temporada del año y en cualquier momento puedo sacar del librero y símplemente disfrutar.

El libro gris contiene 35 cuentos, el más conocido de todos es el de "Los músicos de Bremen" y "El ogro", aunque así por los títulos es posible que no sean reconocidos fácilmente.

Este es el primer libro de este tipo que contiene un cuento complejo que ocupa más de unas cuantas hojas y que se compone de dos cuentos. Es el de
Patrice
Janni and the Draken :(
The Partnership of the Thief and the Liar :/
Fortunatus and his Purse :/
The Goat-faced Girl :/
What Came of Picking Flowers :)
The Story of Bensurdatu :)
The Magician's Horse :)
The Little Grey Man :(
Herr Lazarus and the Draken :)
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles :/
Udea and Her Seven Brothers :(
The White Wolf :)
Mohammed with the Magic Finger :(
Bobino :/
The Dog and the Spa
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Once upon a time there lived a man whose right eye always smiled, and whose left eye always cried; and this man had three sons, two of them very clever, and the third very stupid. Now these three sons were very curious about the peculiarity of their father's eyes, and as they could not puzzle out the reason for themselves, they determined to ask their father why he did not have eyes like other people. So the eldest of the three went one day into his father's room and put the question straight ou ...more
Statikpulse
not too bad. i wish that my kindle had the images, and i think that would have been a nice addition. Some of the stories were lacking creativity and were very generic.

Other ones were very cute and unique. It was my first Andrew Lang book, and I will read the others.

There was one story in the middle that was much too long and boring for me.

In general, it was great to be able to read some fairy tales from around the world. Its a nice break from reading americanized ones my whole life. Because of
Elinor  Loredan
Mar 03, 2014 Elinor Loredan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Favorites:

Donkey Skin (though I wouldn't let a donkey be slain for me)
The Goblin Pony
The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles
The White Wolf
Bobino
The Jackal and the Spring
The Bear (though the prince really did not deserve her)
The Sunchild
The Unlooked for Prince
Cannetella
A Fairy's Blunder
Long, Broad, and QuickEye
Prunella

I literally loathed Mohammed With the Magic Finger for all the unjustified killing,
Sara
As a kid, I checked out all of the Andrew Lang Fairy Books from the library.

It was interesting learning new fairy tales that weren't the normal ones, but honestly, I think I just checked these books out because I had read almost every single book in the kid's section of the Westminster Public Library and these were left, so. . . .
Erica
Sep 01, 2011 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-on-amazon
This is an interesting set of stories. Some I liked more than others. Like another reviewer, I got bored with one of them in the middle. There were a few foreign words I didn't understand. Overall, I would have preferred less predicability, but it wasn't that bad. Also, some parts are a bit too scary, depending on the child's age and fearfulness.
Janet Eshenroder
These follow all the usual format of fairy tales but I was delighted to find so many unknown variations. These stories are longer than the Grimm fairy tales but still short enough to make it easy read one, two, or several each time you pick up the book.
Malu Vargas
I haven't read all the stories so I shouldn't really review this book. It is, as expected, full of tales that tell us pretty much the same stories: of loosing, finding, fighting, loving, fearing and learning how to live. Isn't that what we look for in stories no matter if old or brand new?
 Marla
Collection of fairy tales from all over the world.

Likes:
* happily ever afters
* most were stories I've never heard before

Dislikes:
* many tales were similar or predictable
* there was rarely a twist
* beautiful and royalty always won over ugly even if ugly was kind and generous
Maria
Jun 28, 2012 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-2012
This was a nice collection of stories. My list of most interesting/favorites:

- An Impossible Enchantment
- The Fairy's Blunder
- Prunella
Kayleen
Nov 21, 2009 Kayleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get to read all of it before it was due at my library. But from what I did read of it was really good.
melissa lester
Apr 06, 2015 melissa lester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Weird

This has stories that I have never ever heard of before.
do not get it if you want normal fairy tales.
Juli Anna
The best stories: "The Goblin Pony," "The Partnership of the Thief and the Liar," "What Came of Picking Flowers," "The Story of the Queen of the Flowery Isles," and "Long, Broad, and Quick-Eye."
Rebecca
This was all right. I didn't find as many interesting in this one as I have in some of the others. There are fewer stories I am familiar with, though, so it's interesting in that way.
Carla Remy
Uneven collection, with some good fairy tales. I loved 'An Impossible Enchantment' and 'Queen of the Flowery Isles.' I always enjoy Andrew Lang's charming Victorian writing.
Mich Estañol
Mich Estañol rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
RheyEnna Livingston
RheyEnna Livingston rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Owen
Owen rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Grey Fairy Book publication date 2 10 May 28, 2014 07:16AM
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Archetypal Patterns in Fairy Tales (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 76)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Indian Fairy Tales
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • American Fairy Tales
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book