Start by marking “The Katzman's Mate (Katzman, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Katzman's Mate (Katzman, #1)

The Katzman's Mate (Katzman #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,168 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
[Gay Romance, M/M] Thirty years after his father, the High Ruler of Katzman, was murdered, Commander Chellak Rai has finally returned to reclaim his birthright. What he finds is more than he expected or could ever have hoped for. Demyan is a bruter, one of the rare and exotic people of the planet Elquone. He is also a slave. And according to his contract, if he does not ha ...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Siren Publishing (first published January 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Katzman's Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Katzman's Mate

Bookwatcher
Please look this picture

They are so cute, no? And now, tell me:

They are two male cats, a male and a female, or two females?

What made a woman, a woman, and a man a man? It's a trick question, I know, but all this philosophy is to say one simple thing:

Demyar, one of the main characters, is a woman.

ohhhh I know I'm getting a lot of evil-eyes now , but It's the brutal truth about this character... he is not a he, but a she.

What the hell I'm talking about?

Simple, every single thing about him scre
Erotic Horizon
Jan 26, 2009 Erotic Horizon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Commander Chellak Rai and his brother have finally come home. After a thirty year wait to claim back his home planet - Elquone, he now finds himself with a planet desperately in need of repair. There’s a bunch of people – so afraid, they even refuse to look him in the eye. And most bemusing of all - he is now the owner of a bruter, and although he has no idea what a bruter is, he does however know that he’s the most beautiful man he has ever seen and his mate.

Demyan has suffered numerous punishm
Julia ♥Duncan♥
Eh, this just wasn't for me. I couldn't take it seriously and the multitude of spelling and grammar errors didn't help. I didn't like either main character at the beginning - Chellak seemed like an idiot and Demyan had no personality. I liked Demyan a lot more once he stopped trying to act like a proper slave. Chellak never really got over being an idiot though. There were parts that I liked, mostly when Demyan was being funny or smart, so it was better than just ok for me, but I don't think I c ...more
Elisa Rolle
I bought this book since I read in another post by a friend of mine of a particularly development of the story that I was really interested in seeing, but since I'm mean, and since finding out that development is part of the surprise of the book, I will not say what it was ;-) Yes, yes, I know that I had an advantage on you, but still I'm incorruptible.

Apart from that first element, the Katzman's Mate has many traits that usually I like in a futuristic gay romance: first of all the "furry" natu
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Stormy Glenn is a bit of a conundrum to me. She's not a very good writer, but her stories are interesting. Maybe she's one of those people who would be great at telling a story around a campfire, but she runs into trouble when she has to put the words on paper. I'm constantly finding mistakes in her books, not just typos, but the wrong words being used. For example, she once used "perspective" when the correct word would have been "respective", then used "prospective" when it should have been "p ...more
Phaney
May 21, 2014 Phaney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
He didn’t have a viscous bone in his beautiful body.

I should hope not!

The editing is pretty awful all around, but if I take that in stride (and I did), then there’s a nice story.

I honestly can’t explain why I (still) like this book. The shifting viewpoints, the idiotic miscommunication… I should be too frustrated to enjoy. But I suppose I enjoy anyway. Go figure.
Jenn
Feb 14, 2013 Jenn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Insta love, mating and 'love' based on the beauty of each other, little to no plot, and a whole lot of meh. Not for me.
Alex Hahn
Jul 20, 2011 Alex Hahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that the aliens are very emotional and it's cool that they can get pregnant.
Karl
Jan 20, 2014 Karl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little confused why this is on some "best of" lists in the M/M Romance Group and that it gets the high ratings it does.

I can get into a good shifter-esque story. I like stories involving a strong alpha main character. Even the cat men in outer space setting could be a plus. But the manufactured angst due to lack of communication just annoyed me to no end.

(view spoiler)
D
“I am a brüter. As stated in the contract, I have a duty to perform. When I perform my duty for Chellak, I then belong to Chellak.Correct?”

The council members nodded. Demyan took a deep breath before he continued. “I have performed my duty as a brüter for Chellak Rai,” Chellak repeated for the council.

Demyan parted his cape and placed Chellak’s hand on the slight round in his abdomen. “Brüter means breeder. My duty is to provide a child for the sire of my child. I have performed this duty, thus
Michelle
Nov 20, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't finish it. I feel like I just read a Mills and Boon or Harlequin romance book, except both characters had dicks. A lot could have been solved if characters just communicated. I know one of them was unable to actually talk, but goodness that was a frustrating book! The pregnancy at the end took away the last star for me.
Christy Duke
Adored this story! Totally fell in love with Demyan and Chellak, although Chellak irritated me to no end sometimes with his lack of communication. Ugh. Men. Alpha men.

The fact that this is an mpreg just makes everything better! Thank you, Stormy!
SueM
Jan 11, 2013 SueM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read a few of Ms Glenn's novels, and unfortunately, each of them have left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied - no doubt a failing of mine.

I often really like the basic plot or storyline, and I usually like her characters too, but I just seem to find her stories lacking in substance; problems arising are predictable, while the solutions are easily found, and sometimes, things just don't add up. For instance, in this novel, when Chellek first enters the throne room, he is immediately aw
Valentina Heart
Ter
Jun 13, 2010 Ter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I put off reading this one for some time, now sure why. I thought it would be to far out there. But I really liked it.
It really held my interest once I started it, it doesn't have alot of futuristic talk in it to get lost. (which I was afraid of) just enough.
Instead of a shapeshifter, Chellak is part human and part cat. He doesn't have a tail, just ears and lite fur and some facial areas, but they can mate and can communicate with their mates like shifters.

Like many book, Chellak and Demyan h
C
Nov 29, 2011 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
3 stars for the story, 2 stars for the execution, 1 star for EDITING.

Oh my word the typos, wrong names, jumps in POV, etc etc. All I can say is wow hire an editor, or a beta reader or even, maybe, hell just read it closely one more time yourself before you PUBLISH! Just sayin'.

So, nice story line but you have to bear with the clunky sentences and the fact that, yes, one of their names was in nearly every freaking sentence! Settling on 2 stars for this one, I did finish, but it was a near thing.
Don Bradshaw
This book was a total disappointment to me. I enjoy shifters, enjoy sci-fi and even enjoy the thought of a gay mate bearing childern. What killed this book for me was the 80 pages of angst because Chellak was a moron. He knew that Demyan was his mate the moment he laid eyes on him. The dope never bothered to ask Demyan anything which led to false assumptions on both men's parts. If I got anything out of this terrible story, it was to remember to really communicate to my man. The last 20 pages w ...more
Stacey Jo
This was the first M-Preg I have read and I thought it was pretty good. It was engaging enough to want to keep reading. Chellak annoyed me with his total obliviousness to Demyan's feelings. I wanted to strangle him for at least the first half of the book. I really liked Ciprian and Yerik. It was an interesting storyline. I found the lack of detail concerning the pregnancy dissapointing. I would like to continue reading the series at some point. I'm interested to see how things continue.
Karen K
Lizzie
Jul 01, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just needed something sweet and fluffy after "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". I like mpreg and this is one of the better series. I was looking for the big alpha, littler mate combo as well. Noticed a lot of editing errors this time around though they didn't bother me so much since it was a re-read.
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
slightly spoilerish!

To get it out of the way: the cover is cringe-worthyly ugly.

After having said that I have to add that the story had some premise for those who like "abused-slave-gets-rescued-by-alpha-male" stories in a futuristic setting. There are some interesting concepts and characters in it, not to mention the mpreg theme, but the annoying stupidity of the cat-like protag and the easy solution to the conflict spoiled it for me. Oh, and the epilogue put me over the edge.

Another niggle tha
Wendy Ann
In comparison to other Stormy Glenn books, I thought this one actually showed more work around the plot with less sex than her typical stories. The lack of communication between the main characters was a bit frustrating because the alpha male (Chellak) made way too many assumptions and stupid decisions without talking to Demyan, but I guess this was intended to be the "angst-y" part of the story. However, what truly frustrated me was the lack of good editing. There were numerous errors ranging f ...more
adrienne
typical stormy glenn romance. nothing fantastic, nothing so bad it can't be finished. what is typical stormy glenn? imagine a shorter harlequin romance but with no t&a (see, i was going to write no surprise pregnancies, but... yeah.).

laziness dictates i will use this as my template for all books by the following authors unless a book is remarkably good/bad :
stormy glenn
gabrielle evans

FloJ
Mar 27, 2009 FloJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well everyone, you can take this off your to read lists. It is a futuristic fantasy. Katzmans are a breed of man/cat. They are one of those imaginary groups who can smell their mate and once mated talk telepathically. But - a first for me is having the mate who is male as this is M-M romance after all GET PREGNANT. I could go on, but it is not worth the time and effort.
Miriki
3.5 stars.

The jumping of the POVs makes my head spin. @_@ The writing is quite awful IMO. Almost every sentence has a character's name in it. -_- Half of the book I wanted to hit the MCs upside the head. >_>
Though the plot is interesting enough, sometimes it's entertaning to read a cheesy romance. :)
Gina
The idea was good, but the plot was generally a bit sloppy. And emotions are jumping here to there absurdly, sometimes it wasn't easy to comprehend and follow them.

Still, there were good parts, especially Demyan's insecurity that tugged something in the chest.

I'd give it 3.5 stars and my willing to try the next book.
Theresa
Dec 18, 2016 Theresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was not M/M because Demyan was a chick-with-a-dick. Chellak was very self-centered and had a low emotional IQ. He was too reactive to be a Federation Commander. Did not understand why Chellak and his family kept Demyan confined to the living quarters for months at a time if he wasn't a slave. The constant miscommunication and misunderstandings got to be old.
Brenda (b)
I really liked this story. The characters caught my interest and I didn't want to put the book down. My only complaint--I wanted more of their story!

note: m-preg
The Katzman characters are described as being men (technically humanoid I guess) with feline-ish facial features and a fine covering of fur. They aren't shifters.
Matthew
Apr 30, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Rather silly little meaningless romance, not much logic. Not too many glaring mistakes, although the contract was a bit nonsensical and the climax took too long. The sex was a bit boring and I didn't see any real sense of romance. It wasn't exactly bad... but there was nothing to like about it for me.
Andrea
Mar 21, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fast read

Good mm romance. A few typos but not too many. The story was interesting and you really come to root for the characters. Already bought the next book in series to read.
  • Enraptured (Kaldor Saga, #1)
  • Mate of the Tsatrya
  • The Nourisher (Border Worlds Saga, #1)
  • Dragon Ours (North American Dragon #2)
  • Love's Crash Landing
  • Faith, Trust, and Stardust (Haven #2)
  • Owner of My Heart (Mending the Rift, #2)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Cowboy Love (Bear County #1)
  • Acquainted with the Night
  • The Englor Affair (Sci-Regency #2)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Amaranth & Ash
About Me
I believes the only thing sexier than a man in cowboy boots is two, or three men in cowboy boots. I also believes in love at first sight, soul mates, true love, and happy endings.

I live in the great Northwest region of the USA, with my gorgeous husband and soul mate, two boxer/collie puppies, one old biddy cats, and three fish. When I'm not being a mother to my six teenagers or cleaning up
More about Stormy Glenn...

Katzman (5 books)
  • Dream Mate (Katzman #2)
  • Pride Mate (Katzman #3)
  • Heart Mate (Katzman #4)
  • Unconventional Mate (Katzman, #5)