Start by marking “Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20)” as Want to Read:
Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20)

Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe #20)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  948 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Three times DCI Pascoe has wrongly accused dead-pan joker Franny Roote. This time he's determined to leave no gravestone unturned as he tries to prove that the ex-con and aspiring academic is mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

Meanwhile, Edgar Wield rides to the rescue of a child in danger, only to find he has a rent-boy with a priceless secret under his wing. DC Bowler is lo
Published May 7th 2002 by HarperCollinsPublishers

To ask other readers questions about Death's Jest-Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Jest-Book

Chris Wright
This is superb. Gripping, convincing characters, humour. It had me constantly thinking about the plot, characters and locations when I had to put it down to react to the real world. It made me feel that it had some deep meaning and that I would be enriched by finishing it. It also made me go and read the original by Thomas Beddoes.

I think this is what reviewers mean when they say a book is "immersive". Death's Jest-Book Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20) by Reginald Hill
Doug
Jan 12, 2011 Doug added it
This book is labeled a mystery but for the first 475 pages there is no crime and then when a crime happens it is no mystery. There are some themes carried over from his previous book and what is interesting is how Mr. Hill uses those themes in this book to tell a story about each of the characters, their development and interaction with each other. So we have a mystery book with no mystery but yet you keep reading to find out what happens.
Mr. Hill has a sharp sense of humor and he can easily mak
Dark-Draco
This is only the second novel I have read by this author and I enjoyed this a lot more than the first. There is just so much going on, strange letters from a released convict, a Roman horde to be shipped out of the country, a young drunk up on charges, a disturbed young woman and more! There were so many red herrings, that I was constantly see-sawing from complete convidence that I had worked it all out, to utter confusion as another character was introduced. And with so much of the action being ...more
Antonis
Ένα πολύ καλό αστυνομικό, με πλοκή που τιμά την ετυμολογία της λέξης. Ξεκινάει εκπληκτικά, κατορθώνει να δέσει έγκλημα και λογοτεχνία, έχει χαρακτήρες με τρομερό βάθος και ένα ιδιαίτερο χιούμορ, ενώ μέχρι το τέλος δεν είσαι σίγουρος για το τι έχει συμβεί. Από τη μέση και μετά απογειώνεται και δεν μπορούσα να το αφήσω. Φαντάζομαι ότι η απόλαυση για όσους έχουν διαβάσει κι άλλα βιβλία του Ηill με τους ίδιους ήρωες θα είναι διπλή -τουλάχιστον.
Don
Reginald Hill and his excellent creations Peter Pascoe, a literate Yorkshire police detective, and his boss "The Fat Man" Detective Superintendent Andy Dalziel, are two of the most engaging and entertaining policemen working these days. Throw in an ambience of non-London England in current time and you have a true winner in the mystery genre.
Rebecca
a little hard to get into when lacking knowledge of the rest of the series, but worth the effort.

Not a book i would recommend to my mother or others preferring a "clean" read.
Maggie Kiely
I hot this as an Audiobook. This is my first book by this author and I persevered for several hours trying to get to grip with the story and I cannot
I have to concede defeat I would not pick up another book by this author I would not in any way recommend it
This is my first time listening to this narrator and I found him clear and could say that he gave an excellent narrative I would happily listen to him again
I bought this some time ago from Audible so I cannot get a refund I am very disappoi
Kirsty Darbyshire
God, Reginald Hill knows how to keep readers happy decade after decade! Something different every time, I can't find enough superlatives.

As my commenters have noted before me this is very much a follow on from Dialogues of the Dead and not a book to be read by itself. If you came to this as your first Hill you'd be wondering quite what the author was thinking of. For the most part there's little in the way of a new mystery here, it's very much about continuing the huge stories that began in the
Hannah Givens
I really enjoyed this. On the one hand it's a pretty standard mystery paperback, but on the other hand there are a lot of strange things about it. There's no real crime until most of the way through the book, but it does deal with a crime from the previous book (I think), so maybe that counts. I love the way the author slowly layers POVs and themes, spinning an ever-more-complicated yarn. Each new POV juts out into a deep new facet of the whole thing. I also love the way the detectives are sort ...more
Marni
Dialogues of the Dead and Death's Jest-Book go together and are easily two of the best books in this series.
Kaltrina
I just grabbed this book from my home library were my paretns keep their books and it looked interesting to me because ever since 6th grade i really liked mystery books and i also like mystery tv shows that have to do with crime and stuff because it will teach me more about it, and i want to know about this because i want to be a lawyer when i grow up and i would like to start reading and knowing about it since know. And also by reading the back and reading it it sounds really intersting and sca ...more
Melanie

3.5 stars ****
charlie
Reginald Hill - master writer / plotamatician. Another perfectly written and constructed entrant into the Dalziel/Pascoe series. Every book has multiple layers - just like the lead characters - Hill's the master of blending full-on smarty-pants academic literary threads with the crassness of a good police procedural (Dan Brown is a kindergartner compared to Hill). One note of caution - this one is really a sequel to Dialogues Of The Dead - so will have a much bigger impact if you read them in or ...more
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Wow! Just wow! Another great Dalziel & Pascoe mystery. Though, I feel this volume exceeds the mystery genre. Several parallel storylines wind through this story and eventually end up intertwining at the end of the story.

Engaging, thrilling, and just plain fun! Pascoe, Dalziel, Ellie, Wieldy, and the new addition "Hat" Bowler are like a family who I love to visit again and again.
Eileen
May 27, 2010 Eileen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eileen by: eileenrissler@gmail.com
I've been re-reading a few books that I either remember fondly or don't remember much at all. This is a difficult read because of multiple complex story lines, but in the end I think I'm going to revise my rating. Hill is amazing at character development and the subtlety of evil in ordinary people.
Viktoria
it seems that reginald hill starts three different stories but at the end all of them resolve wonderfully in one. and what a thrilling end it is! as always: wonderful characters! dalziel, pascoe, wield and all the others are great developed. it just wants to make you read more about them.
Spednic
Death's Jest-book was very long in the tooth, and a little difficult to read because of all of the Brit slang, some of which made no sense to me. I did wade through it, and found sections that were very engrossing.
Graham Botha
The story is disjointed and the list of characters confusing. Periodically the story grabs the reader with a little spurt of excitement or tension, but frequently these bouts fizzle or are left unresolved
Gavin
A kind of sequel to Dialogues of the Dead, which it would be useful to have read before this. It works well as a stand alone in the series, but works better as a complement to the earlier novel referred.
Jill
Aug 11, 2008 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pascoe Dalziel fans
Good riddance, Franny Roote! I was entirely sick of him by the end of this. Diappointed more wasn't made out of the Rye/Hat situation, that could have been really good. Liked the last one so much better!
Rog Harrison
This is the second time I have read this. Whilst it was a compulsive page turner the ending is not satisfying. It is very much a sequel to the equally unsatisfying "Dialogues of the dead".
Melinda Worfolk
4.5 stars.

A good sequel to Dialogues of the Dead. Definitely read this one after you've read the other--they need to be read in order.
Carol
Excellent book, intricately plotted with fascinating characters. It's beautifully written and I loved it!!
Joyce
I had a hard time sinking my teeth into it but it was a good read. Not my favorite from this author.
Leslie
I love this author. Every book he writes is different but all have a great, enthusiastic quality.
Jane
Death's Jest-Book finishes off the story started in Dialogues of the Dead. A surprise ending.
Barb
558 pages of English detection - good plot, way too long for solution to mystery
Joan
Three is the top mark I give to mysteries. Love the Pascoe and Dalziel series.
Toni Moore
I liked it so much I read it again, finishing on Aug. 29, 2012.
Sherie
Hated the way Peter acted in this one and the way it ended.
  • Beggars Banquet
  • Acid Row
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • Piece Of My Heart (Inspector Banks, #16)
  • Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
  • A Whiff of Death
  • The Queen's Head
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1) The Woodcutter On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6) Death Comes for the Fat Man (Dalziel & Pascoe, #22)