Start by marking “An Advancement Of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)” as Want to Read:
An Advancement Of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)

An Advancement Of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
A novel featuring crime-fighting duo Dalziel and Pascoe, who investigate a spate of killings at Holm Coultram College, where Pascoe rekindles an old flame and Dalziel is accused by students of being a fascist. From the author of KILLING THE LAWYERS, THEWOOD BEYOND and PICTURES OF PERFECTION.
Audio
Published November 1st 1996 by Chivers Audio Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about An Advancement Of Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Advancement Of Learning

LJ
First Sentence: There had been a great deal of snow that December, followed by a hard frost.

Coultram College is expanding. To do so, the bronze statue of the former principal, Alison Girling, must be moved. Ms. Girling was killed five years ago on a winter trip in Austria. So why is her skeleton found beneath the memorial? Dalziel and Pascoe are office to college to find a killer.

Hill is such a delight to read. In this, the second book of the series, his characteristic humor begins to make itsel
Mrsgaskell
Nov 25, 2011 Mrsgaskell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been some time since I've read a Dalziel & Pascoe mystery and those have been later in the series. This is the second book and it was a good read. The best thing about it is the interaction between Dalziel and Pascoe - a great pair of characters. I enjoyed the epigraphs from Francis Bacon's The Advancement of Learning.

This book was first published in 1971 and is set at a private college. I couldn't help but be struck by how times have changed. Things considered scandalous then might ha
Kirsty Darbyshire

this is the second dalziel and pascoe book. one thing i'm enjoying about this series (having read a whole three of them now ;-) ) is that each seems to have it's own setting. it's quite an old fashioned device to make a book so closed from the outside world but hill manages to write modern books within the constraints. the first in the series was 'the rugby club book' and this one was 'the college book'. this book hooks you in with the intriguing conundrum of 'how did her bones come to be buried

Wendy
Dalziel and Pascoe enter the world of academia. Hilarity ensues. Student government was never so exciting when I was in college. (Actually, we didn't have a student government when I was in college - at least one professor scolded us for being so unengaged in our education that we actually allowed the administration to run the university unimpeded. But I digress.)

This book is packed with colorful characters, and good solid detection. The assumption that even the students and faculty at a small t
Sherie
Jul 08, 2011 Sherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book our author introduces Franny Roote who will appear in other novels in various capacities of deviousness and mischief.
The Super is called to the college to investigate the appearance of a body long dead. The atmosphere of learning is all that Fat Andy denounces and derides. Pascoe will do little to abuse Andy's feelings in that area and cannot seem to say ahead of the Super no matter what degree he holds. He does re-connect with Eleanor Soper and she will be in most, if not all, of t
Alison C
Jun 21, 2015 Alison C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In An Advancement of Learning , by Reginald Hill, Superintendent Dalziel and Sergeant Pascoe are summoned to Holm Coultram College when a corpse is found buried underneath a statue of the former Principal of the College. When it turns out to be the corpse of that same Principal, who it had been believed had died in an avalanche in Austria some years earlier, Dalziel and Pascoe realize that they have a murder on their hands, and precious little information available to solve it.... This is the ...more
Jill Hutchinson
This is the second in the Dalziel/Pascoe series and Hill hasn't quite hit his stride yet. The personalities of Fat Andy and Pascoe have not been fully developed at this early stage. Their interaction is not as witty or acerbic as it becomes as the series matures.

In this story, the remains of a body are found under a huge statue that is being removed to make way for new buildings at a local college. Since the statue has been in place for five years, the police have their work cut out for them. On
DubaiReader
A blast from the past.

I'm sure that, if it weren't for the TV series of Dalziel and Pascoe, I would not have been listening to this abridged version of a crime story that was originally published in 1971.
This audio version was narrated by Warren Clarke, which was great for the voice of Dalziel, but confusing when Pascoe spoke.

I've only ever read one other Daliziel and Pascoe story, which was set in a beer swilling rugby club, where Dalziel felt at home. This time Pascoe and I were both more com
Aine
Set in a third level college in 70s England, An Advancement of Learning is the second Dalziel and Pascoe mystery novel. Having evolved from a traditional teachers' college for women into a mixed-sex liberal institution hasnt come without teething problems. A mix of old- and new-school lecturers staff the college along with a range of modern-minded students.
As we open, Anita Sewell is a student who is on the verge of being dismissed from college for poor grades. In response, she has accused her
Gerald Sinstadt
Feb 19, 2014 Gerald Sinstadt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
An Advancement of Learning is school of Agatha Christie which will be sufficient recommendation for those who like a large cast of "characters" plus a couple of eccentric coppers, convenient coincidences and multiple red herrings. The pace is slow to the point of of almost stalling.

Take a simple test. How often do you see people roll their eyes? In this book they do so frequently. If that doesn't bother you, maybe you will be able to swallow the extraordinary gouges on at a co-educational colleg
Ed
Dec 29, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Superintendent Andrew Dalziel and Sergeant Peter Pascoe series. Yet another British law enforcement series which is well written, entertaining but slow moving.

Superintendent Andrew Dalziel and Sergeant Peter Pascoe visit a college when a skeleton is found beneath a statue being moved. A second plot involves a teacher being accused of having an affair with a student and then manipulating her grades to have her dismissed. After she is found killed, the suspicion forms that the deaths are
Chrystyna
This is the fourth of the Dalziel & Pascoe books that I've read & I've been dotting backwards & forwards in time, so the relationship between them & between Pascoe & Ellie has been a little disjointed. Revisiting my thoughts when I read the last one...

I read the first in the series 'A Clubbable Woman' and really disliked both leads. I then read 'Ruling Passion' and it totally turned me around in that both Dalziel and Pascoe were more rounded characters and more sympathetic. '
Patrick Sherriff
Nov 09, 2014 Patrick Sherriff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-and-such
I read one of Hill's more recent Dalziel and Pascoe outings and really liked it. The enjoyment in this one was more, er, academic interest than actual enjoyment. That is, it was interesting to see the growth of his characters from this early (second?) outing. The best thing in the book was of course the odd-ball pairing of the uncouth superintendent and his better-edumacated sergeant. Maybe I was missing something, perhaps it was a homage to Agatha Christie but I found that sort of stuff dull an ...more
Jules Jones
[2006-04-04] The second Dalziel and Pascoe novel sees the pair at a college of higher education after the discovery of a corpse under a statue's foundation block. Naturally, life gets even more complicated, and not just because they have to wade through both student and staff politics in their pursuit of the truth. Fresh corpses are provided, and it's up to Dalziel and Pascoe to decide which were murder and which were suicide, ideally without becoming corpses themselves.[return][return]Dalziel h ...more
Nick Duretta
Apr 25, 2014 Nick Duretta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid British police procedural/whodunit with an entertaining pair of police detectives (veteran Dalziel and rookie Pascoe), an intriguing array of suspects and a tried-and-true setting -- a small English college. The plusses and minuses of such inbred academia makes for some interesting plot trajectories, all spiced up with the period in which this takes place (the free love-and-drugs era of the early 1970s). An all-around good show!
Lee Battersby
Nov 19, 2014 Lee Battersby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly entertaining read, full of acerbic humour and tightly plotted mystery, with well-drawn characters who jump from the page and demand the reader take notice of them. Bawdier and more pointed than the TV series that led me to it, this is an utter delight of a crime novel, and one that has me scurrying back to the library tomorrow to fetch a new volume of Hill's work.
Jon
Aug 28, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment in the Dalziel-Pascoe series. A very complicated mystery involving a death which took place five years ago and has only just been discovered.There are multiple participants complicating the sequence of events which D&P must disentangle. I really appreciate the literary quality of these mysteries and the quirkiness of their two main characters.
Dillwynia Peter
Oct 22, 2014 Dillwynia Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hill knows how to write a police procedural without becoming tedious. I really like how he made Dalziel and Pascoe such full blooded characters with pasts that will affect the way they think. With the crime set in a college, it caused Dalziel to be a jealous bigot against higher education, and Pascoe to question his decision to become a police officer.

The story is a little dated, as with early James & Rendell - it is to be expected. Social acceptances have changed so much in the past 40 year
Joan Colby
Mar 06, 2015 Joan Colby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Dalziel and Pascoe series which I began reading out of order, but now intent to pursue chronologically. This one is set in a university and the characterizations are very well done. A brilliant series.
Wendy
Jul 02, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm trying to go back and re-read my favorite detective series from the start. This is actually book 2, but that's okay, I can't imagine Peter without Ellie. Forty years ago, Hill was a good writer, but nowhere near his current greatness. It drags at points, minor characters seem one dimensional, but the most telling point is Dalziel. In later books he seems like a minor god, some prehistoric deity. In this book he seems human, a fat guy with a failed marriage who likes to tease his right-hand m ...more
John Glover
Aug 15, 2014 John Glover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Dalziel and Pascoe book. This time the author has fleshed-out the 2 main characters delightfully and I can now see why the series is so popular. I'm looking forward to reading more.
Fanficfan44
Aug 10, 2015 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mystery, still developing the relationship between Dalziel and Pascoe. Very similar in feel and characterization to the TV show that the series spawned.
Terri
May 22, 2012 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book #2 of the Dalziel and Pascoe series. I have not read the others, so I was starting from scratch. This is a typical novel of the murder-in-an-English-school type. The mystery is intriguing and well-plotted. I did not get quite as involved with the characters of the detectives as I would have liked, but I'm willing to admit that they probably become more fleshed out and less like caricatures as the series develops. Furthermore, I was listening to an audiobook while I was sewing, and i ...more
Robert Palmer
Who was Christian and why did Cockshutt call him. This was at the end of the first third of the book but was not mentioned again.
Ice Bear
Dec 14, 2014 Ice Bear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
.... college where learning to murder seems a popular course.
Aaron
May 17, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of this series lives up to the promise of the first. Except this time the two man characters are sketched out a little better. I am looking forward to seeing where this series heads.

To me, so far, what's best about this series is Hill's ability to make the little details that fill in the holes seem so innocuous when really they're the solution to the crime. Great mysteries for those who like to try to solve it as they go.
Thejelman
Dec 16, 2013 Thejelman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hill's second D&P novel, following A Clubbable Woman from the previous year. All the Hill hallmarks are there as the fat man and his sergeant (at this time) try to figure out the deadly goings-on at a college campus. Right from the off Hill produced neat plots and presented them in a splendidly straightforward style and with that trademark northern wit. Dalziel is already well-formed, Pascoe much less so at this point. Great stuff.
Brick
Second in the series, and the continuation of the definition of Dalziel as the irascible and politically incorrect force of nature, with Pascoe as the progressive with feet of clay university educated young and coming copper. And we find details of Pascoe's continuing relationship with Ellie, his to-be significant other.

A period piece, written and placed in the seventies, and an entertaining mystery, neatly sewn up at the end.
V. L. Craven
Jan 04, 2015 V. L. Craven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a statue is moved and the body of a woman who was supposed to have died in Austria five years before appears Dalziel and Pascoe are called to the scene. I’ve always liked books set in college or similarly cloistered settings and this one has the usual array of oddball academics. Quite excellent if you enjoy that sort of thing (which I do).
Patricia
Jul 21, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hill's background as a teacher and the reasons he was well shot of the profession are well on display here. I am not sure that someone who did not in some role live through the late 60s and early 70s will take to this book, but for us survivors of that time, it's an aide-mémoire -- in other words, a reason to be glad we've moved on.
  • End in Tears (Inspector Wexford, #20)
  • The Daughters of Cain (Inspector Morse, #11)
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • A Whiff of Death
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Black Knight in Red Square (Porfiry Rostnikov, #2)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • Death and the Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • Babel (Brock & Kolla, #6)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh, #2)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • The Glimpses of the Moon (Gervase Fen, #10)
  • Beggars Banquet
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • Bones and Silence (Dalziel & Pascoe, #11)