Start by marking “Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)” as Want to Read:
Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)

Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe #7)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  36 reviews

Patrick Aldermann, an accountant with a company that makes toilets, is passionate about his roses, which he prunes ruthlessly, 'deadheading' any blossoms a minute past their prime so as to make space for the younger blooms. Not much of a gardener, Dalziel views Patrick as a strong contender for the title of Most Boring Man in Yorkshire. Pascoe, though, has noticed that sen

Mass Market
Published November 3rd 2003 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Deadheads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadheads

Barwinka
Akcja powieści rozgrywa się na początku lat osiemdziesiątych na angielskiej prowincji, w Yorkshire. Dwójka detektywów Pascoe i jego przełożony Dalziel nie prowadzą tej sprawy razem, a raczej wzajemnie się wspierają. Podejmują różne tropy, które nasuwają podejrzenia, a w momencie kiedy jeden zarzut zostaje odparty, wyłania się inne morderstwo z przeszłości, które w jakiś sposób łączy się z podejrzanym. Autor wprowadza wielu bohaterów, oprócz tytułowej dwójki mamy dwóch policjantów, jednego orygin ...more
Jill Hutchinson
I really enjoy the Dalziel/Pascoe series but this book is not on the top of my list. It has pluses but the minuses got it a little lower rating than I usually give Hill's books.

First, the minuses: There is too much Pascoe and not enough Dalziel. Fat Andy is what gives this series such a great ambiance and in this story he is away at a conference in London. Toward the end, we get to be with him a bit more but it is his personality that makes the books so appealing. Second, there is too much Ellie
Lynne
Hill is another author I buy in hardcover. He began many years ago as an ordinarily good Brit detective writer and through the years, he has developed more than anyone I can think of in the genre. He has experimented and developed and delighted. I chose this one to comment on because it's one I have read several times for its interesting characterizations. Hill would be a top writer in any genre. He just happens to use policemen as his protagonists. And Fat Andy is one of the best---love him.
Margaretta
"An English rose garden on a summer's day. A small boy watches with interest as his great-aunt cuts the deadheads off the rosebushes with a sharp knife. What could be more peaceful, more harmless?"

Deadheads was written by Reginald Hill in 1983. It is crime novel which includes two policemen, Dalziel and Pascoe, who appeared in most of his novels and became very popular. It talks about lot of people and their own stories included in one big story. It talks about love, wondering, love affairs...,
Colin Mitchell
Surreysmum
rabbitprincess
Aug 17, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Reginald Hill fans
Carolyn Rose
Love the rapport between Dalziel and Pascoe and loved how this kept me guessing and second-guessing and then left me hanging.
Wendy
Cheryl
One of the better Dalziel and Pascoe.
Anne Borrowdale
As other reviewers have said, the ending is unexpected, and not altogether satisfying. But I like that Hill plays with readers' expectations and that each book is subtly different - crime authors with a series can end up being repetitive, but Hill keeps up the surprises, even if they're uncomfortable ones. And I keep being impressed with his portrayal of Ellie Pascoe, whose left-wing feminist 1980's politics is very accurately observed. I might not have given this one 5 stars, but it was still r ...more
Thejelman
Jay
Colin Buchanan's narration of this highly convoluted and complex crime novel is sheer delight. All of the well-known characters appear, and some new ones enter stage left, to allow Peter and Elli, and Sergeant Wield's personal lives to become apparent to the listener. Andy Dalziel continues to be arrogant, bombastic, genially racist, attractive to some women, and sometimes sensitive to others.
Kirsty Darbyshire

A bit of an odd story; not really a mystery but that's not really a complaint. Although there's not very much of a central core to hold the book together it does have a decent degree of focus and is captivating enough. Not one of this series that I'd recommend really, but quite an interesting departure from the run of the mill.

{this is book 7 in the dalziel and pascoe series)

Ibis3
Shunsuke Matsui
Oxford Bookworm Library,level6
Time-12/8/2012=110minutes
7words summary-rose connect murder gardens past puzzled information
Discussion Question
1,What is the most important thing for your life?
It is my family! Very important.
2,Do you want to change your character?
No, I would like to be what I am now.

I reccomend you to read it, but vocabulary is a little difficult.
Robert
Nicely outside the norm. When it seems unbelievable for Ellie to angle into the story the situation is handled with skill. In fact, she tells us she is not really involved after all! It's clever and believable.
Except in the very beginning: Isn't someone stabbed or slashed to death? What came of that?

I am hooked on Dalziel and Pascoe.
Namiko
One thing I don't like about this book is the ending. It is fine if the murderer is caught or not, but it is not good that how the murderer did murders. I don't care if the people in the story know the truth, but I want to know it. I want to know how they did things like it seems be impossible to do.
Cindy
I loved this book! Was the first of the Dalziel and Pascoe (2 British detectives) series I discovered.I have continued to try to read every title in the series. It is also a BBC mystery series. Some nights, I am watching one part of the series and reading another of the series at the same time.
Marie
I opened this wondering if it was new to me—which yay, I loved the characters way back in high school, but no, I have read it before.

Well, the real it, not the simplified version. Which...I don't get why it needs, but people like to trim, much as the character Patrick does.
Julie
My favorite so far of this great British detective series. I love the interaction between the multifaceted characters & the story lines are complex & interesting. Excellent narration by Colin Buchanan, the actor that plays Detective Pascoe in the TV series.
Deanne
Crime thriller which has you guessing if there has been a crime at all, devious police procedural. Daziel is on his usual bull in a china shop mode, managing to insult underlings and superiors alike.
Kathleen
One of my all time favorite authors - this appears, so far, to be very similiar to his others (which is a very good thing)
Ajla
This book was quite interesting, but the only thing ruining it was its ending. Maybe my expectiations were very high.
Paul
Typically engrossing thriller from one of England's best, with a nice final twist in the whodunit department.
Bryan Nelson
Jan 20, 2010 Bryan Nelson is currently reading it
good book so far...very interesting, some funny things going on...still reading though
That70sheidi
Really good as always, and interesting to read about Rosie as a bad little baby :)
Lois
Apr 28, 2012 Lois rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Clever, clever, clever... and don't think you will guess the outcome, you won't!
Caryn
This is a British who dunit. It is full of twists and turns and fun English humor.
Sally
Despite my love of this series, this early book had an unsatisfactory ending.
  • Green for Danger
  • The Price Of Love: And Other Stories
  • The Devil in Velvet (1994 Ed)
  • Tragedy at Law (Francis Pettigrew, #1)
  • The False Inspector Dew
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • Harm Done (Inspector Wexford, #18)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazelrigg, #4)
  • Innocent Blood
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)
  • The Shortest Way to Hades (Hilary Tamar, #2)
  • The Rose of Tibet
  • The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from
More about Reginald Hill...

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • Bones and Silence (Dalziel & Pascoe, #11)
A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1) The Woodcutter On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17) A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6) Death Comes for the Fat Man (Dalziel & Pascoe, #22)