Start by marking “The Prince of Neither Here Nor There” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Neither Here Nor There

The Prince of Neither Here Nor There (Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  26 reviews
With a pimply face and braces on his teeth, the perpetually clumsy Brendan is having a hard time at school. When he starts hearing voices and conversing with chipmunks, he thinks he can add losing his mind to his growing list of problems. Then he discovers that he’s a Faerie who was lost in the human world. Now that he knows his true identity, the human disguise that has b ...more
Published August 11th 2009 by Penguin Canada (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Neither Here Nor There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Neither Here Nor There

Submarine Outlaw by Philip RoyAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryGreat-Grandma's Gifts by Marianne    JonesGryphon Project,The by Carrie MacFranklin Goes to School by Paulette Bourgeois
Canadian Children's Books
29th out of 261 books — 31 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Gender Neutral Books
26th out of 31 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Before I get into this at all, I need to warn you: if this book is special to you or you liked it in any way, do not read any further than this paragraph. I'm telling you bluntly: I am going to tear it apart. I'm not even going to try to be polite, because I'm just so glad I'm finally done and I want to get this over with. Good, now we've got that cleared up...

My overall impression? The writing annoyed me so much; mainly, I think, because it reminded me of the way I used to write little stories
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Reviewed by Rachel Seigel

In the first book of the new Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince series, Brendan, a slightly geeky and awkward 14-year-old, discovers that he is really a Faerie who was lost in the human world. Now he must come to grips with the fact that his family isn’t really his family at all, and find a way to survive in the face of otherworldly villains who are determined to destroy him before he can fully understand the scope of his lineage.

Seán Cullen’s latest novel for kids is f
Ashley D--
Brendan is your typical awkward teen. He gets pimples and has to wear braces... and he hears animals speaking to each other. That last detail is the newest one to cloud his life, and he believes it is a sign that he is going crazy. Until he learns that he is of course a faerie prince with immense power. The spell that has been protecting him all his life is starting to fade, and some evil faeries are trying to hunt him down so that they can recruit him to the dark side.

The book flows well enough
Hadia
i would give this book a 3.5/5. it was an interesting book.
The prince of neither here nor there is about an ordinary boy named Brendan. He was a guy with pimples on his face and wore braces. He had a few geeky friends and one cool friend, Kim, who helped him out in times of trouble. He never really figured out why Kim was his friend. Brendan was living a normal life until strange events lead him to think he is mad; he began to hear squirrels conversing with each other. Later on in the book, Bre
Tammy Terrace
I started out with high expectations that I felt were never met. It was an interesting enough book to finish over a few weeks, but not the kind of read to make me laugh, or weep. Certainly not so spellbinding that I didn't want to put it down !
Alicia
Nov 03, 2011 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I found that I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. I had originally picked it out of a sale bin for the cover alone, but Sean Cullen created such a playful narrative, adventuring through a world of his own, that I found myself sinking deeper into it than I thought I would.
At first I rolled my eyes at the subtitles, but Cullen uses them to give us glimpses into his world of insanity and mirth.
Thanks to its unique narrative and characters, this book traveled from a 99 cent bin and m
Charlotte
This book earned 3 stars from me. It was alright, but not great. Sure, it was a nice way to spend an afternoon, but it's definitely not a masterpiece.
Honestly, I could have written a book of similar quality when I was 12 years old. The reason that it earned 3 stars is because it had an original and creative plot, and interesting characters.
When I first took the book off the shelf, I read the title and thought: Oh God. Not another one of these books. I then read the back, and considered reading
Lucy June Whitefords
I started reading this book for school, and at first I thought it seemed okay. The general summary on the back got my attention, especially since I love books about Fairies, and better still, Fairies with an "e". The introduction by the narrator got me laughing, but the story went downhill from there. The Prolouge, which was about forty pages, was unbelievably dull and slow moving. The story got a bit better after that, but not much. I think the book's weak point is that the author goes into too ...more
Taylor
This was hilarious! I loved the Faeries, and how Brendan (or Breandan) was one, but was basically like WTF through most of the book. The witty writing made me laugh like no tomorrow, and the narriation parts were very entertaining (he got a trophy for footnotes don't ya know? LOL) I'm just waiting for the library to open so I cna sneek in and take out the second book in the lovely series. It was a random book that I picked up off the shelves of the public library, but I don't regret doing so at ...more
Melissa
A fantastic adventure/fantasy that I feared would be predictable but had a lot of original twists. The story was very well developed with great depth (but not too much to make it drag) and fun details that make the fantasy aspect interesting. Better suited for a young adult or 12 + child than younger children (unlike his Hamish X series which was targeted at a slightly younger age group)
Kat
A fairly enjoyable fantasy book about a Torontonian boy who discovers that he is actually faerie. I would have enjoyed it more if the language was a bit more sparse and if there was less place-dropping (lots of streets in Toronto were mentioned, which I guess was cool but also annoying).

Recommended for fans of Percy Jackson & Harry Potter (though not as good as either)
Jem
Jun 22, 2012 Jem marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i don't normally read fantasy books, i prefer to watch them on screen. but this book is different, the story got me to keep reading until the end in just like 3 hours. while the book has lots of action, it also has hilarious and emotional moments. This book was worth my time and worth it's place on my eReader!
Felicity
Originally, I just picked this up because I was looking for something other than the usual, and sounded interesting; it was that time when anything in young adult section was some kind of paranormal romance. EVERYTHING.
Anyways, I liked it a lot. I was surprised, because I didn't really think I would.
Rachel
A YA novel I read because it was nominated for the Toronto Book Awards. A young teen in Toronto is actually a Faerie, which he discovers when his Faerie relatives, good and bad, come for him. It was fun, but never quite got the level of Christopher-Moore-for-teens that I felt it was going for.
Jenn
Fun read - have to wonder if students living outside of Toronto would enjoy it half as much as I found myself chuckling about local references as much as I was the narrator's running commentary. I'm looking forward to the next in the series to see how Brendan manages his new realities.
Becx
This book is an AMAZING book! the story is well written with believable characters and a great story about finding one-self. Throughout the book there are helpful and witty footnotes that the 'narrator' has added, making this a wonderful book to read.
Debb
My nephew recommended this book and I really enjoyed it! Very entertaining, well written fast paced story line and likeable characters. Geared towards youth fantasy readers, but not so "out there" that the average person can not enjoy it as well.
Stephanie Fysh
A lightweight fantastical frolic through the city of Toronto. Particularly for a local, the joy is in the details. I just might never look at the seagulls and the squirrels and the ACC in quite the same way.
Amethyst Travis
Funny. I liked the footnotes. The subway Troll who loves Hockey is just too sweet.
Leann Spence
A Canadian author story based in Toronto. A two book set fast read a little more meaty than Harry Potter but just as well written IMHO
Elaine Morton
Love the Canadian places. Believable and great characters both human and faerie. Sugarrrrrrr! Look forward to the next one.
Karen Chong
I iiked the plot. However, I was really annoyed with the footnotes and the narrator chapters.
Jessica
YES! A PERCY JACKSON FOR CANUCKS!
only cool. hehe.
Sophie
Just to clarify... this is 3.5 stars!!!
Cindy
pretty cute..
  • The Faerie Door
  • The Specter Key (Bran Hambric, #2)
  • Darkest Light (Half World, #2)
  • Myka Finds Her Way (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #17)
  • Tyranny
  • Throwaway Daughter
  • The Blue Shoe: A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes
  • Journey Through Fire (Sisters of the Sword, #3)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Walking Backward
  • The Nine Lives of Travis Keating
  • Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Nanny McPhee Returns
  • The Giant-Slayer
  • The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1)
  • Safe as Houses
  • The Last Days Of The Lacuna Cabal
Librarian's Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
Seán Cullen (born 1965) is a Canadian comedian. He is known for combining improvisation with mimicry and music. Cullen has been described in Time as the "vanguard of comedy's next generation"

Outside of performance, Cullen has written three books in his own Hamish X series of novels for young adults, including
More about Seán Cullen...

Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince (2 books)
  • The Prince of Two Tribes (Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince, #2)
Hamish X and the Cheese Pirates Hamix X and the Hollow Mountain Hamish X Goes to Providence Rhode Island The Prince of Two Tribes (Chronicles of the Misplaced Prince, #2) Hamish X Goes to Providence