Start by marking “Places to Be, People to Kill” as Want to Read:
Places to Be, People to Kill

Places to Be, People to Kill

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Assassins--are they born or made? Do they choose this role out of necessity, because they are forced to, or because they enjoy killling? And what do they do in their spare time?

These are just a few of the questions answered in this all-original collection of twelve tales by fantasy's finest-focusing on killers of all kinds. From Vree, Tanya Huff's well-known assassin from
Published June 5th 2007 by DAW (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Places to Be, People to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Places to Be, People to Kill

Stefan Yates
This is an enjoyable collection of tales that to be honest I only purchased for the contribution by John Marco, one of my favorite fantasy authors. Of course in any collection of tales of this sort, there are some stinkers, but overall most of the contributions are solid to top notch. All of the stories contained here deal with assassins to some extent and each author offers his/her own unique spin. Some of the tales deal with assassins on their day off, some with the experience of first time ki ...more
In this anthology, we are given twelve different stories by twelve different authors but with one theme uniting them all – assassins. The genres include science fiction, fantasy, contemporary, and horror. Like all anthologies, there were some I liked, some I didn't care much for, but not because of the writing. Each story is well crafted and well-written. Because we are dealing with assassins, some touch on the macabre and are a little too graphic for me – but that is a personal issue and not on ...more
Cynthia Armistead
I enjoyed this anthology more than one might expect from a collection of stories about killers, but then I've read a couple of volumes edited by Brittiany A. Koren and Martin H. Greenberg now, and I trust the pair. (Greenberg has turned out so many anthologies that I don't assume anything at all when I see his name.)

I had to explain to my family why I kept laughing while reading "Exactly" by Tanya Huff. I'm a long-time fan of her work, so was already familiar with sibling assassins Vree and Ban
Here we go, a book that didn't make me wonder why I bought it! I do like short story anthologies, and the assassin is a good choice for a collection. As is usual for anthologies, there's a mix of stories that I really liked, ones that were alright, and those that hit me as "meh". Happily, the "liked" list outweighed the "meh". Yey for anthologies!
An interesting assortment of short stories about assassins. Some are funny, some are clever, some spooky, some unexpected. Some of them are written by authors I haven't read before, but I'll definitely look up others stories by them.
Lady Entropy

Uma colectânea de contos sobre assassinos, que me deixou (depois do The Man of the Diogenes Club) bastante...blah. Alguns contos eram engraçados, alguns eram legíveis, e alguns metidos a martelo e rascas.

Para a pilha do "A dar".
The common idea of the stories, killers and assassins on different situation, is quite interesting and the book has some really good stories but, on the other hand, some others are quite subpar, so I can't give it more than three stars.
Gerald Sessions
Like all grouping of short stories, some are better than others, but I have to say did not find one that I did not like or found difficult to finish. A great grouping. Enjoyed them all.
It was okay. None of the stories really stood out as being exceptionally good or bad. A solid anthology, but not one I feel a need to keep.
Tanya Huff's short story was the best (and the funniest) but all of them were pretty good.
Great anthology, loved the concept, and liked that the stories were from a mix of genres.
Sandy Schoen
Sandy Schoen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Db marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Necmettin Begiter
Necmettin Begiter marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Sararollings marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Lorrita marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Jennifer Ciccerelli
Jennifer Ciccerelli marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jill added it
Mar 28, 2015
Emily added it
Jan 31, 2015
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...
The Dean Koontz Companion Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes Foundation's Friends Sherlock Holmes in America The Further Adventures of Batman