Start by marking “Christian, the Hugging Lion” as Want to Read:
Christian, the Hugging Lion

Christian, the Hugging Lion

When John and Ace found a lion cub for sale at Harrods, they knew that a department store was no place for a lion. They took him home, named him Christian, raised him and loved him--and in the process, Christian became a London celebrity. But when Christian got too big for their apartment, Ace and John knew that it was time to let him go back to Africa, where he belonged. ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Christian, the Hugging Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christian, the Hugging Lion

Chicken in the Kitchen by Nnedi OkoraforBeat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum by Ashley BryanBringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna AardemaWhy Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna AardemaShadow by Marcia Brown
Picture Books On Africa
29th out of 120 books — 17 voters
City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
63rd out of 74 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Josiah
Sep 27, 2015 Josiah rated it liked it
In my opinion, Christian, the Hugging Lion is one of the best picture books of 2010. In fact, while I may not have opted to award it the Caldecott Medal if the selection were up to me, I almost certainly would have designated it an honoree.

It's not easy to differentiate the emotion of this book from that of the famous Youtube video of the reunion between Christian the lion and his owners, Ace and John. Ace and John had lived with their affectionate pet lion cub for many months before deciding
Diane
Jun 08, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
so loved reading the adult version of this book: A Lion Called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion, that I was very curious to check out the book for children which was released in April 2010.

Richardson and Parnell, tell a heartwarming story of two men named Ace and John, who purchase a baby lion cub from Harrods in London. Together the three create a truly unique family. For one year, Christian live happily with his human family playing with toys and
Heidi Hart
Mar 20, 2014 Heidi Hart rated it it was amazing
Two Men and a Baby... Lion? My oldest son (now three) has counted this book among his favorites for more than a year. It tells the story of Christian the lion, who became a YouTube sensation about five years ago. (I dare you to watch without tearing up!) For those not familiar with the story, two men purchase a lion cub from Harrods Department Store in the 1970s. They take him everywhere--the park, the pub, the beach--and he is a well-behaved and affectionate pet who likes to hug his people, Ace ...more
Kimberly
Apr 25, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
If you haven't seen the Christian the lion video on YouTube, go watch it right now, and have some tissues handy. The moment where Christian recognizes his human family and rushes toward them for a hug (beautifully captured in this book) will almost certainly move you to tears. This book is lovely, really, with soft illustrations and just enough text to tell the story.

I'm a little concerned that I've seen this book on some "Do not let children read" lists. I suspect that it has less to do with t
Margo Tanenbaum
Aug 09, 2010 Margo Tanenbaum rated it really liked it
By the authors of And Tango Makes Three, this book also tells the story of an alternative family, in this case two men who adopt a lion cub at Harrods as a pet. As incredible as it may seem, this is based on a true story. Ace and John, a young couple (in the illustrations they look like two "hippies" from the '70's), buy the cub, name him Christian and bring him to their apartment. Although he was a well-behaved little cub, he was still a lion, and we see how his owners take him for a walk, to ...more
Wooden Horse
Feb 03, 2013 Wooden Horse rated it it was ok
The story of Christian is so adorable that I feel bad giving the book only 2 stars. I first learned of Christian via the internet sometime in 2011 or 2012. I didn't pay too much attention at the time as to when all of these events happened and figured it was a fairly recent reunion between John, Ace and Christian. In reading the author's note I was shocked to learn this all happened in the seventies. I should have guessed based on the grainy images on YouTube but I don't always notice these ...more
Alice
Jul 25, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
This a warm and fuzzy book (pun intended) it is a true story, it tugs at the heart strings and I enjoyed it. A lion born in captivity was going to be sold at Harrods department store in London. Two friends Ace and John thought that a cage was not a place for a lion to be...this is the beginning of a story...You have to read it...and find out...then google John and Ace and Christian reunion and watch the video. Fun one!
Mylinh
Non-fiction

Another wonderful book about a different kind of family by the author of And Tango Makes Three. A great book to read when talking about families. An animal or lion lover will love to read this book. Would also be good to read when talking about wild animals vs. tame animals and where certain animals live.
Jess Brown
Based on the incredible true story of two men who adopt a lion cub, Christian, the Hugging Lion is the work of the authors who brought us And Tango Makes Three. Adorable illustrations track the life of Christian, the lion, as he grows up in London and eventually makes a life with a family of lions in Africa. Great for elementary kids.
Jenna
Jun 22, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very cute picture book of the true story captured on video and went viral in 2008 of the feral lion that is reunited with his human buddies. The text takes only a few liberties with the truth, as the story is already perfect to be told as a children's story. The art is adorable - especially the cover photo. I'm happy to have this in my growing picture book collection.
Michelle Dale
Apr 26, 2012 Michelle Dale rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old brought this book home from school and asked me to read it to her as a bedtime story. At first glance, I thought it was a "baby book" and asked her why she checked it out. I read it to her anyway. It was such a sweet book--and based on a true story. I am glad that I took the time to read it with her.
Holly
LOVED this video, love the book even more. Who could see/read this and not recognize the depth of animals' emotions? And then to realize that lion held such fond memories of his original owners ... just heartwarming.
Loren
Jul 12, 2010 Loren rated it liked it
thought this story was too cute to be real. Even after reading the author's note at the end of the book I am still not sure. Who in their right mind would buy a lion cub from a department store? Hmmm ... I will have to look for the "now-famous" video of their reunion on the Internet.
Megan
Aug 04, 2010 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun picture book about a lion who was purchased at Harrod's and was eventually released into the wild. The book is based on a true story that happened in the seventies. Thats right the seventies - the lions owners both sport really groovy haircuts!
Pauline
Nov 11, 2013 Pauline rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yet another animal story based on true events...we really enjoyed it. Love the subtle nature of the 'alternative' family embedded into the greater story of the lion.
Whitney
Mar 03, 2014 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-toddler
The youtube video makes me cry every time I see it. True story- cute. Cassie enjoyed it. I probably enjoyed it more though. :)
Tracie
May 04, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
If you've seen the YouTube video of the two men who released a lion into the wild and then later went back to visit him, you'll love this story. Fans of Owen and Mzee will probably appreciate too.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 08, 2010 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A couple of books have already been published about Christian the Lion but this telling is warm and inviting. The two wordless spreads showing Christian, Ace, and John are wonderful.
Donalyn
Two Englishmen buy a lion cub from Harrods department store, but eventually release him into the wilds of Africa. Based on a true story.
Sandy
Apr 24, 2016 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: adorbs, 2016-reads
Very sweet and true story about Christian, the hugging lion. The illustrations are pleasing and very well done... this is a nice story showing how humans can have a lasting bond with animals :)
Jessie
Jul 21, 2014 Jessie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of children's stories
This story made me cry when I originally heard it, and this book adaptation is adorable (and made me a little teary, again). :)
Peacegal
Sep 18, 2013 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This book is seriously adorable, It also may raise some decent discussions about whether wild animals should be kept as pets and where wild animals really belong.
Khristine
Khristine rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Zeke
Zeke rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Ram Davies-Bulsara
Ram Davies-Bulsara rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Sage
Sage rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Anna Zbacnik
Anna Zbacnik rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Xochitl
Xochitl rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012