Ciekawy przypadek Benjamina Buttona i inne opowiadania

Tył wielbłąda --
Przybrzeżny pirat --
Śpiąca królewna --
Zasadzki szczęścia.
Published 2009 by Amber (first published 1922)

Be the first to ask a question about Ciekawy przypadek Benjamina Buttona i inne opowiadania

Paquita Maria Sanchez
First of all, how is there an entire movie here? Yeah, yeah, it would probably be best to come back to that.

My overall vote is "meh?" From a clunky start, this short story waxes and wanes in a similar fashion to its title character. All that I could think while reading the first two sections was how Fitzgerald's dialogue and descriptions of character behavior were the literary equivalent of cutting paper dolls out of vellum and proclaiming them to be sentient creatures. Along with being generall...more
Inder Suri
I have never read anything like this before.
When you pick up a book and you know that it is more a short-story than a novel, it's obvious you can't expect much from the book. It will either be a short tale telling you something related to a significant subject and maximum it can do is to give you a heartwarming and a satisfying ending.

But this book was something more. It was different. Yes, like many others, I already knew those two words very strongly related to this book i.e, "Aging Backwards"...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Originally published as a short-story in Collier's magazine's "Tales of the Jazz Age" in 1922, Fitzgerald's quirky, fairy-tale-like story of a man born at age seventy who gets younger has been widely available as a novella for many years. This collector's edition has been released to coincide with the movie: it's a lovely little black hardcover with glossy pages and wonderful colour illustrations by Calef Brown.

Benjamin Button was born in 1860 at age 70: bald, shrunken, with a long beard and a q...more
Corinne
This short story begins as Mr. Roger Button is bustling about Baltimore, waiting for the birth of his first born child. The reception he receives as he arrives at the hospital gives him hints that all is NOT right with his child. And it is a MOST curious case: young Button was born old - as in, beard, watery eyes, wrinkles. OLD. Benjamin, as he's named, prefers cigars over rattles and is more comfortable with his grandfather than other tots.

What's even more interesting is that Benjamin grows you...more
Jean
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a strange little fantasy about a baby born in 1860, who appears to be a withered decrepit old man. He goes on to live his life in reverse, doing all the normal things - running a business, marrying and having children, going to war, attending school and college, and ending up in kindergarten and under the care of a nurse. It was written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. Clearly it is a social satire.

In his introduction, Fitzgerald says that he came across a sim...more
Beth F.
I don’t read a lot of short stories because I like having the opportunity to spend longer periods of time getting to know the characters. But I was curious to read this story because the premise sounded interesting and also because Brad Pitt made me do it.

Last night was my company’s holiday party and since I didn’t get home until sometime between 2:30 and 3:00 in the morning, suffice it to say that I was feeling a tad under the weather today. Reading a short story was right up my alley and so I...more
Salymar
Best tearjerker and thought-provoking story I have read in years.

It got me thinking about life once again. If you look deeply into the message of the story you'll be stunned. The message is simply 'Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moment' and we are given a short time, we must be wise and sure on how we make the most of it.

The novel left me a question that still bugs me until now: Do you still wish you could turn back the clock?

'Some people, were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by...more
Farnoosh Brock
I read the book after watching the movie and generally, I always read the book first if it came out first. And Fitzgerald definitely came out before movies and films :)!

Loved both but especially the book. I found it amusing that Fitzgerald was almost mocking little Benjamin whose entire dilemma he had created in his imagination.... And it is a very deeply reflective book - I don't know why but I kept thinking about my own life and what it would feel like to age backwards ...

The writing is exquis...more
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars to this short novel by F. Scott Fitzegerald.

This happens to be the first time I've read anything written by Fitzgerald. Don't know how true is it but I read somewhere that this was his breakthrough novel of sorts. Not the most remarkable thing I've read, honestly. But the author presents a more or less accurate reflection of American society in the late 19th century & the early 20th century. Benjamin Button's family affairs also managed to retain some amount of interest throug...more
Lavinia
An interesting and pretty original idea. Since it's a story, it moves quite rapidly through Benjamin's life, but you get the point. It reminded me of Eliade's novella, Youth without youth, except in that one the old man gets younger right away, struck by lightening.

Too bad the movie sucks. I successfully wasted almost 3 hours of my life to see a brilliant idea transformed into a cheap love story that has (almost) nothing to do with Fitzgerald's original story.
Miguel
O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button certificou-me o talento indomável, incontrolável e ingovernável de F. Scott Fitzgerald. A sua escrita poética suspirante não nos deixa intactos. Pelo contrário, de tão harmónica e melíflua, pode-nos conduzir à adulação excessiva.
As histórias que o autor inventa têm, muitas das vezes, um núcleo recriminador, mas as matérias sobrepostas a esse centro podem não agradar gregos e troianos.
Este é um conto acerca da idade. Os acontecimentos da vida estão já quase todo...more
Hunger For Knowledge
I've never been a fan of short stories as I so often feel that they are quite light, somewhat shorthanded and full of holes. In a way, this was also the case with Benjamin Button, although the story plot itself was interesting enough for me to read and finish it.

This was also the first time I read anything (at least according to my memory) from F. Scott Fitzgerald and I did enjoy his style of writing, which is why I am going to explore his oeuvre, hopefully gaining deeper knowledge of his work....more
Cheryl
The aging process becomes all-powerful at the funeral of a loved one. It marks the containment of a life; there is no more to be added. When we welcome an infant, we celebrate all that there is to come; the possibilities are truly limitless.

F. Scott Fitzgerald's fable is about this journey in reverse, as a man of seventy years with the language capabilities, interests, and the physical infirmities familiar to old age, begins his life in 1860's Baltimore, the first child of Mr. and Mrs. Button. H...more
د.حنان فاروق
هذه الرواية القصيرة أو النوفيلا تذكرني بشرح أحدهم لماهية الإبداع حين قال:إنه أن تفكر بالأمر اعتيادي بشكل غير اعتيادي تماماً كما ابتكر التعليم عن بعد حين فكر مبدع ما بأن تذهب المدرسة إلى طالب العلم بدلاً من أن يذهب طالب العلم إليها...إنه أسلوب (ماذا لو؟)...وأظنه في تلك حقبة التي كتب فيها فيتزجيرالد روايته لم يكن كنتشراً بالشكل المتعارف عليه الآن...استمتعت بالسرد..بالطريقة نفسها..وبالعالم الغريب الذي يتأقلم مع القوي مهما كانت غرابته ويستنكر الضعيف مهما كانت قرابته ...كنت أتمنى أن تطول هذه الرواية...more
lanalang
La cosa più ingiusta della vita è come finisce. Voglio dire: la vita è dura e impiega la maggior parte del nostro tempo. Cosa ottieni alla fine? La morte. Che significa? Che cos’è la morte? Una specie di bonus per aver vissuto? Credo che il ciclo vitale dovrebbe essere del tutto rovesciato. Bisognerebbe iniziare morendo, così ci si leva subito il pensiero. Poi, in un ospizio dal quale si viene buttati fuori perché troppo giovani. Ti danno una gratifica e quindi cominci a lavorare per quarant’ann...more
Magdalena
I’ve seen the movie (twice), and I’ve been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button is born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth. And all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the...more
√RA
If the movie terrified me at the sight of poor old Benjamin, well, the book redoubled it. I can’t even process the idea of how the infant Button looks like, might as well the way he talk. I mean, I was particularly stunned when he started talking! Oh my god! He can already talked at the age of what? Six hours?! A new-born for only six hours had protested about his food and clothing. Brilliant!

Isn’t he the most unfortunate fictional character way back 1922?! Because as far as I’m concerned, the f...more
Jonathan
I must confess that I rather enjoy the prose of one certain F.Scott Fitzgerald. Though many critics dislike the shallow nature of The Great Gatsby's characters there is such a poignant lyricism in the words of that novel. The very short novel The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is likewise extremely well written and very clever. Many people will have seen the film I'm sure though I myself was not interested.

What intrigued me so much about Fitzgerald's work here was the fact that he was able to p...more
Dahl
Me puse a leer este cuento por casualidad. Vi la película hace tiempo, pero no me pareció especialmente interesante. Me gustó la idea, sí, pero no me impresionó tanto como para que me propusiera leer el libro, como me sucede en otras ocasiones.

Empecé a leer porque estaba haciendo un viaje largo en tren. Llevaba varias horas escribiendo, pero compré un café en el vagón restaurante y siempre le encuentro placer a acompañar el café con una lectura interesante, especialmente si le acompaña el traque...more
Prashant
Such a unique(and curious) story to tell and Fitzgerald did it so effortlessly.

We all can recognize this title after the movie and that's what put this book in my TR list in the first place. I haven't watched the movie and after reading this story am curious(!) as how Brad Pitt would have done justice to such finely streamlined storyline.

Living life when the whole timeline has reversed itself brings forth challenges unthought and territories uncharted.

Fitzgerald tells the story of Mr. Benjami...more
Sumirti Singaravel
Jul 26, 2014 Sumirti Singaravel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who love literature n wild imaginations
""Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen"

I don't know whether Fitzgerald got inspired by these lines of thought by Mark Twain, but I can assure you that the above quote sums up this whole short story except that Benjamin Button was born at the age of seventy, approach till the stage of milk-suckling baby, and definitely leads not a life of 'infinitely happy'.

Succinct though it may be, it leaves one with deep thoughts, w...more
Javi
No sé muy bien cómo reseñar esto. El libro es entretenido, y hasta ahí. Dada la brevedad del mismo tampoco se puede esperar mucho más; ya consigue eso, me doy por satisfecho. Yo soy de esos que no vieron la película antes que el libro, pero siempre que leo un libro, si es que éste tiene versión cinematográfica, suelo probarla para ver qué formato —bajo mi punto de vista— sale ganando; o me entretiene más, que para el caso es lo mismo.

En este caso la adaptación cinematográfica nada tiene que ver...more
Tricia
Originally from I Write, Therefore I am Alive

It’s a shame to not to know that there’s a book behind some famous motion picture or, let’s say, you never know a certain book unless it is made into a famous motion picture. I don’t deny the fact that I never knew anything about Benjamin Button until he is portrayed by ever-handsome, swoon-worthy guy named Brad Pitt. I watched the whole movie and I dunno, I fell asleep. The film is hell too long!

Anyway, I almost overlooked this very thin book sandwi...more
Oriana Nataly
Leer esto fue maravilloso. Primero porque es un cuento mágicamente relatado por Fitzgerald que logra llevarte por la vida de Benjamin casi sin notar sus cambios, ligeramente olvidando su naturaleza deforme, contando rápidamente pero también con calma sus avances. Fue agradable de leer y al final cuando todo va concluyendo sientes que te devoraste un libro completo, aunque solo fueron 43 páginas. Segundo, porque me sorprendió mucho el talento que tuvieron para adaptar este cuento a la gran histor...more
Anastasia
Con mio estremo disappunto e imbarazzo dico.. no.
Non so se la mia delusione spinosa possa derivare più dal fatto che sto dando due stelle al mio primo - seppur modesto - Fitzgerald (don't judge me, omg) o più dal fatto che dopo l'uscita del film questo racconto è stato velato sempre da un alone fantasmagorico - da cui mi aspettavo appunto qualcosa di se non sensazionale perlomeno meritevole - ma...che cosa piccolina in confronto a ciò che pensavo!
Ora, chiariamoci: non è che me povera tapina fos...more
Linda
I didn’t know F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Did you? I finished this story in about 2 hours tops. I saw the movie a couple of weekends ago with Katambra. We loved it. The movie was ADORABLE, all the way through, adorable. I love the old man C-list character that got struck by lightening 7 times. So I was excited to start reading the book. After reading, I found myself preferring the movie over the book which I rarely ever do.

The book wasn’t very descriptive. It went...more
Saman
داستان عجیب بنجامین باتن، براي اولين بار در 27 مه 1922 ( مطابق با 5 خرداد 1301) در مجله‌ي
Collier
به چاپ رسید
این داستان دوّمین داستان(اسكات فیتزجرالد) است. این داستان بعدها در کتاب (قصه‌های عصر جاز)نيز به چاپ رسید

اسكات فیتزجرالد در مورد خلق این اثر می‌نویسد: الهام‌بخش این داستان گفته‌ای از (مارک تواین) است به این مضمون: افسوس که بهترین قسمت زندگی در آغاز آن است و بدترین قسمت آن، در پایانش

این هم چند خطی از ابتدای داستان عجيب بنجامين باتن
مدت‌ها پیش در دهه 1860، زایمان در خانه امر معمولی بود. در ح...more
Mariam Abood
I decided to read this book because I was curious as to how they were able to make a 2 hour feature film out of a book that was only about 60 pages long. Turns out, the film is nothing like the book, so I don't think I'm going to waste any time watching it.

This book was really difficult to give a rating to because I struggle with short stories. I never feel as though the plot has been developed enough in a book that is so short it can't even be classed as a novella.

While I didn't think this was...more
Zach
This is one of several F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories in the public domain, available at feedbooks among other places. I was moved to read it because I'd just the seen the film it inspired, and I'm interested to report that the film and story have basically nothing in common except a title and maybe half of a premise.

While the homunculus played by creepily age-advanced CGI Brad Pitt is born as a normal sized infant with the health problems of an old man, who grows into a normal-sized 14 year...more
Wendy
I saw Benjamin Button on Sunday, and downloaded a copy to my Kindle the same night (love my Kindle, love the convenience - love the price - the copyright is expired,and it is easily found online for free!) But for the title, I wouldn't even know the two things - the movie and the story - were related.

Now that I’ve read Benjamin Button and seen the movie – I have to wonder what it really means to be an “adapted” screenplay a la the Oscars. Doubt and Frost/Nixon were both Tony award winning plays...more
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Devil's Advocate
  • I, Robot
  • Inception: The Shooting Script
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: The Shooting Script
  • Tangled (Disney Tangled)
  • Metropolis
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • K-Pax (K-Pax, #1)
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Beautiful and Damned The Short Stories

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” 2094 likes
“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” 785 likes