Start by marking “Um Estudo em Vermelho” as Want to Read:
Um Estudo em Vermelho

Read Book* *Different edition

Um Estudo em Vermelho (Sherlock Holmes #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  188,091 Ratings  ·  5,718 Reviews
Um Estudo em Vermelho é a primeira história de Sherlock Holmes e o primeiro livro publicado por Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. É um romance publicado originalmente pela revista Beeton's Christmas Annual, em Novembro de 1887. A primeira edição, em formato de livro, só seria lançada em Julho de 1888. Parte-se à descoberta de um enigma terrível para a polícia, que pede auxílio a Hol ...more
Paperback, Colecção Sherlock Holmes #8, 119 pages
Published August 18th 2009 by Global Notícias (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about Um Estudo em Vermelho, please sign up.

Mike I agree with Nathan's comments. I read A Study in Scarlet after watching Sherlock's "A Study in Pink". Different story with some common elements. I…moreI agree with Nathan's comments. I read A Study in Scarlet after watching Sherlock's "A Study in Pink". Different story with some common elements. I especially appreciated the way both handle the "Rache" clue. Worth checking both (BBC series and this book) out.(less)

Stephen
The birth of a legend....
Photobucket

This is it...the novel in which Sir Arthur ushered the world’s greatest second best detective (after Batman) into our collective consciousness. Being the non-conformist rebel that I am, I started off bassackwards by reading The Valley of Fear and then The Adventure of the Final Problem because those were the two stories with Moriarty in them. Shocking, I know, but that’s just how I roll. Btw, it still really chaffs my cheeks that Doyle wrote 56 short stories and 4 nove
Tatiana
Arthur Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes novel is utterly unimpressive. In short, the book starts like this:

[image error]

and mid-way turns into this:

And I am not even joking. The novel begins with Holmes and Watson meeting, moving into their Baker Street apartment and then investigating a murder of a man found in an abandoned house. At the half point, however, the story completely changes its course and becomes the most awkward introduction of the murderer's back story and motives involving Mo
Anne
Sherlock Holmes and the case of the Killer Mormons!
But more about that later...

description

Ok, the big deal about this one is that you get to see the Sherlock/Watson meet-cute. I mean, this is one of the most important meetings in the history of all literature! Come on, people! Get excited!

description

It's only fair to mention that I've read and reread all of these stories a bjillion times, and these are by far my favorite classic characters.
Well, except for Lizzie & Mr. Darcy...
But I know I haven't read P&P as
Delee
A STUDY IN SCARLET!!! First group-read for the intact official Non-Crunchy-Sans Pants- for no reason that I can figure out...but none-the-less...NON pants wearing GRs classic reading group.

photo aa991e3b-bcba-4919-a4d1-3c5cf523ec4b_zpssvgmpxeg.jpg

I read A STUDY IN SCARLET waaaaaaaay back in my younger days- and remembered very little of it. To be perfectly honest- I remembered the title...and reading it- but nothing else. Whether it is my memory...or the fact that it wasn't memorable can be argued- but I liked it. A LOT.

photo 16b1b528-c769-4c64-84f6-a7accf171382_zpspguwcbci.jpg

Setting:

221B Baker Street, Lond
Nilesh Kashyap
Sep 11, 2012 Nilesh Kashyap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anti-review
I don’t read reviews of books, of which I am damn sure I will be reading it very soon. Now, I don’t know how this habit affects my reading.

So, what happened was..
I was not aware of the fact that “I had to be surprised when the second part of the book starts and wonder what happened to the story with Sherlock Holmes in it and how that mystery was solved! Moreover, I had to wonder whether the second part was from some other book, somehow got binded in my copy and curse the publis
Jeff
This is an underwhelming debut for one of literature’s most famous characters.

Doyle’s Sherlock is in the nascent stage here and isn’t the fully fleshed out character, readers came to know. The steady and reliable narrator, Dr. John Watson gets introduced to Holmes in Watson’s attempts to find a roommate.

“Can two odd Victorian Era men share a flat without driving each other crazy?”

Sure, why not.

Watson takes measure of Holmes:

Although the illustration below belies it, the producers of the TV sho
Carmen
Sep 02, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Almost Everyone
Gregson and Lestrade had watched the maneuvers of their amateur companion with considerable curiosity and some contempt. They evidently failed to appreciate the fact, which I had begun to realize, that Sherlock Holmes's smallest actions were all directed towards some definite and practical end.

This is the first Sherlock Holmes story, a novel which introduces the now legendary detecting team of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.

Watson is looking for a roommate and is introduced to Holmes with some
Apatt
May 23, 2016 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Ah! My dear reader of review, I see you have just returned from Afghanistan, in a black cab, driven by an Italian driver, on your way here you stopped for breakfast at a McDonald's where you were served by a pregnant red-headed lady. I am sure you are wondering how I know all this. Well, my dear fellow (I have also immediately deduced your gender) I have my methods. Now, to the matter of writing this A Study in Scarlet review, that, my friend, is a three pipes problem.

Wait! Don't go away just ye
Jacob
Mormons and murder, aaaiiieeeee!
For those who prefer their Sherlock Holmes served up pure and without digression (and I am one), it is possible to skip over the long omniscient passage entitled "The Country of the Saints" without losing "the scarlet thread of murder." Indeed, rare is the reader who can resist the temptation to leapfrog the Great Alkali Plain and learn the fate of the person responsible for the singlular expression of horror and hatred on the dead man’s face at No. 3 Lauriston Ga
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 28, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Kristel
Shelves: 501, detective, british
Not related to the book yet

This is the book that completes my 2011 Goodreads Reading Challenge! 275 books and I still have 3 days to spare. My first target was 200 because that was the the annual target of the author Nicholas Sparks as he said in one of his interviews. But I achieved it in September so I changed it to 250. But I achieved 250 on the last week of October and I thought I could still read 25 more. So, here I am, proud that I was able to read 275 books!!! Last year, I only read 196 b
Cait (Paper Fury)
SO I DID IT. CONGRATULATE ME. I read an adult book and a classic and I survived!! *flings confetti over self* Okay, except that actually I listened to an audio and I'm 100% sure the audio is the only reason I survived it, because, gawsh...while it's incredibly interesting, it's written so incredibly boringly. The writing is potato. That's all I can say. Maybe I'm not "appreciating the arts"...but the whole thing is like a monologue!! Where are the scenes??! Where is the development?!?!? Gah.

And
Kemper
Sherlock Holmes is a dick. And I don’t mean that as a reference to the character being a private detective.

Sure, he may be brilliant, but he’s also arrogant, condescending, cold, rude, self-absorbed and generally an insufferable douche bag. If Watson wasn’t such a brown-noser, he’d have snapped and pimp slapped the shit out of Holmes about five minutes after meeting him.

It’d been a long time since I’d read any of the stories, and I thought I’d check some out after watching Robert Downey Jr. pl
Miriam
Aug 27, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized recently that I never reread Sherlock Holmes. I received collected SH for Christmas when I was nine, and read it all (with the exception of Hound of the Baskervilles, which I skipped at the time because I was afraid it might involve bad things happening to dogs) over vacation. I enjoyed the stories very much but at this point only remember colorful details and quirky solutions -- some orange seeds, a secret snake, men with red hair, different colors of mud.

I don't know what happened t
Shayantani Das
Rating: 4 stars

This is my first Sherlock Holmes novel and yes, I am ashamed for not having read it earlier. I suppose that, what LOTR trilogy is to the fantasy world, Sherlock Holmes is to the detective/crime genre. Reading it is kind of like getting a degree. So anyway friends, I have graduated and am finally an official member of the crime/mystery fandom.

And I am most definitely a part of the bandwagon of Sherlock Homes fans.
description

Okay, off to the plot them:

“A Study in Scarlet” introduces the famo
Ɗắɳ  2.☠

“There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it.”

Here we have the first ever Sherlock Holmes mystery originally published in the magazine, Beeton's Christmas Annual in 1887. Read as part of a buddy reads twofer since apparently much of our group, including myself, is OCD and can’t simply skip ahead to book two. Although none of the four novels are connected it’s still nice to see how
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Non-Crunchy Bubby Read.....set to commence August 31.

I've been really crap at this whole getting to it part of buddy-reads lately. I'd apologize, but I'm fresh out of fucks to give. *shrugs*

3 Stars

Verdict: Smooth writing, with a somewhat crunchy story-line.

A Study in Scarlet is a book broken in two parts, and while the first half was a resounding win for me the latter half left me wanting.

Today ‘Sherlock Holmes’ is a household name.

When I think of literary characters who deserve the descrip
Paul Nelson
Nov 22, 2015 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I've been wanting to read the Sherlock Holmes series for quite some time now and what better place to start than the beginning. A Study in Scarlet is the first of only four novels and shows the introduction of Dr Watson to Holmes who at the time is procuring the services of a rent boy, someone to share the rent that is.

Watson is of course the narrator and Sherlock Holmes is quite possibly one of the most intriguing characters in literary history. It is soon apparent to Watson that Sherlock Ho
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
I feel like I can finally settle down in peace knowing that I have read the most renowned classical detective novel - before my death!

I've been a big fan of all the Sherlock Holmes movies (the ones with Robert Downer Jr and Jude Law as the casting) but believe it or not, reading the ACTUAL classic books have never crossed my mind. Until a few weeks ago when my insides have been craving for something Sherlock-y and seeing all these Young Adult Holmes retellings are driving me nuts. I knew I have
Mahdi
اولین داستان شرلوک هلمز افسانه ای. داستان از زبان دکتر واتسون نقل میشه و شرح آشنا شدن این دو نفر و روایت اولین پرونده ایه که واتسون با هلمز همکاری میکنه.

شرلوک هلمز
كارآگاه معروف انگليسى بعد از گذشت صد و بيست سال همچنان طرفداران پر و پا قرص خودش را دارد.
بيشتر "فن" هاى اين كارآگاه، شيفته ى خصوصيات اخلاقى او و شیوه ی استنتاج منحصر به فرد او هستند. خصوصيات اخلاقی مثل هوش سرشار و در عین حال بى توجهى به اخلاقيات مرسوم مردم، نامنظم بودن، ابا نداشتن از قانون شکنی در صورت ضرورت یا سوء استفاده از دیگران بر
Geoff
Jun 19, 2013 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detectives have artists' eyes; and artists have the eyes of detectives. I don't think anyone knows how much I want to be Sherlock Holmes. Aloof, apart, always observing, eyes wide open, untethered to worldly affairs beyond what immediacy makes necessity, quick-tongued, lightning-brained, spiffy dresser, grounded eccentric, sometimes passionate but never so much that the self is jeopardized, knows his enemies and masters them, instincts taut and fast and brutal like a bear trap, mysterious solver ...more
Scott
Oct 06, 2008 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian, crime, 1880s, london
In A Study in Scarlet (1888), Arthur Conan Doyle introduces his master sleuth to the world, warts and all. Aside from his well-known arrogance and tactlessness, Holmes' other flaws – as well as his odd but impressive knowledge – are cataloged by his astonished new roommate, Dr. Watson:
1. Knowledge of Literature. — Nil.
2. Knowledge of Philosophy. — Nil.
3. Knowledge of Astronomy. — Nil.
4. Knowledge of Politics. — Feeble.
5. Knowledge of Botany. — Variable. Well up in belladonna, opium and poisons g
Jim Ef
Feb 05, 2016 Jim Ef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The birth of a legend and one of my top 5 fictional characters. Im a huge fan of Doyle's style. I read this few years ago and im sure i lm going to re-read it soon.
Ashley
Jan 11, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Really enjoyed this but found the middle part very distracting. It pulled me out of the story too much trying to figure out what on earth I was reading.

Read this last year in a large bind up, but splitting it up into the individual stories to get it off my Currently Reading Shelf.
Liz* Fashionably Late
Yes, it had everything to do with this man:

But, in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's defense, the writing was engaging, the stories were captivating and now I'm on a mission to read his entire work.

I really felt for Lucy and her tragic story... If the first half of the book was pretty cool, the second half was genius.

Cameron
Apr 28, 2010 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first of Sherlock Holmes, it is very cool and I enjoyed it. The very interesting part of the book is that it is Doyle's first try at historical fiction. In the introduction it talked about how he was not very accurate with his history but remember it is fiction. I find it interesting because I am a member of The Church of Jesus Crist of Later-Day Saints also known as "the Mormons".
In this book the two people that are murdered are Mormons and the Murderer is not Mormon but lived amon
Franco  Santos
Este libro lo había leído de muy chico y por eso no recordaba mucho de la trama, sin embargo, sí recordaba que lo había disfrutado mucho. El año pasado lo releí para refrescar el sentimiento.

Creo que todos coincidimos con que Sherlock Holmes es el detective más artero, peculiar y avispado que hay hasta la fecha. Es un placer extraordinario leer sobre sus elucubraciones y sus filosofías; son de brillantes a cómicas.

Este libro me resulto bastante pesado. Por eso mismo son las 3 estrellas. El cas
Amanda
Oct 09, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Aficionados
Recommended to Amanda by: Ruth Provost
Simply okay. I really enjoyed the first part in which Holmes solves the murder, but had to literally drag myself through the second part which goes all the way back to America and the Mormons to explain the murderer's motive. And that second part? Yeah, it takes forrrr-ehhhh-ver. Parts of it read like a textbook analysis of the Mormon faith. You can tell Doyle did his homework (and I kinda wish he hadn't done so quite so thoroughly--there's even a freaking footnote). The second half felt disjoin ...more
Ingela
Written August 24, 2015

3.3 Stars - Another oldie.. liked it enough to enjoy

A Study in Scarlet from 1887 fekt lika a must read at some point. When this old classic was sold as an $2 "Daily Deal"audiobbok now in July 2015 couldn't I resist. — 4:45 hrs narrated by David Timson, a stage actor and BBC Radio Drama veteran.

*********************************************************

It was very fun to meet the original famous Sherlock Holmes and his nice sidekick Doctor Watson solving their very first cri
Christopher
Supplemental buddy read for the main September buddy read of The Sign of Four (which I keep calling The Gang of Four for no discernible reason).

----

A Study in Scarlet is a Sherlock Holmes book with a novella jammed into the middle. The novel is split into two parts, each 7 chapters each. The first part introduces us to Watson, who soon meets Holmes. We fairly quickly get drawn into a murder and Holmes notices details and makes deductions that leave everyone else scratching their collective heads
Michael
Along with Captain Kirk and the Doctor, my fandom of Sherlock Holmes began in my middle school years. I was aware of the immortal detective but had never really read any of the original source material featuring Holmes until one day in reading lab, I picked up a newly arrived copy of "The Hound of the Baskervilles." I consumed the book in a couple of days and was soon ready to move on to more.

My parents indulged my new interest in Holmes, purchasing a paperback copy of "The Adventures of Sherloc
50 books to read ...: A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle 25 105 Jun 15, 2016 10:29AM
books like sherlock holmes 8 43 Apr 18, 2016 08:46AM
books like sherlock holmes 2 10 Apr 10, 2016 11:02AM
Teen Critic: Sherlock 6 53 Mar 30, 2016 12:13PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Sherlock Holmes in A Study In Scarlet 1 9 Dec 31, 2015 01:17PM
Around the Year i...: A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle 2 20 Dec 26, 2015 09:44AM
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • A Study in Emerald
  • The Secret of Chimneys (Superintendent Battle, #1)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Hound of the Baskervilles (Illustrated Classic Editions)
  • The Seven-Percent Solution
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Алмазная колесница (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #10)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5)
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Um Estudo em Vermelho / Os Sete Mistérios (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • O Cão dos Baskervilles / A Face Amarela (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #2)

“I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.” 632 likes
“What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is what can you make people believe you have done.” 558 likes