Start by marking “Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers: A Biography, with Recollections of Early A.A. in the Midwest” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Index. About the contribution that Dr. Bob Smith, the Ohio surgeon, made to A. A.
Published December 15th 1980 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers

Adam
Nov 11, 2012 Adam rated it it was ok
I am a member of AA and I read this book for my interest in the history of the program. The book contained several important nuggets of information, and it is worth reading, but unfortunately the book was very poorly compiled. The overall feel I obtained while reading this book was slight confusion sometimes mildly chaotic. There was no progressive flow of information.

Most of the chapters contain a large proportion of quotes taken from many early members of AA, but the way in which these quotes
Chuck
Jul 24, 2011 Chuck rated it really liked it
Another AA history, but from the Akron-Dr. Bob side of the fellowship.
Dick Harding
May 24, 2015 Dick Harding rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this very much. It was simply told. I am amazed at the effort that both Dr Bob and Bill put into the program. They and their families gave everything they had both financially and physically to the success of AA. I am so grateful to them. What an example. I don't even come close to what they have done.
Heather Key
Aug 02, 2014 Heather Key rated it liked it
I think I got more from this book than I did from the AA big book. This is a really great history book and gives so much background on how people shape the groups of AA. I really enjoyed reading this and got so much more out of it than the big book. It was not as depressing.
Moira Russell
The narrative can be a little corny and disorganized, but it's a fascinating look at AA's beginnings. I have to say I do prefer Dr. Bob to Bill W. The only people I've known to read this are either addicts in early sobriety (their sponsors made them), or sociology students researching temperance movements. In late 2002 I was reading this book at a bus stop in Seattle. Guess which flavour I was.
Kevin
Aug 26, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-read
Incredible history of AA's founding and spread through Ohio. Historians interested in Ohio history as well as sociologists will be given an inside look into the development of one of the most unique and influential organizations of the last century.
Shannon
Jun 12, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: recovery
History of how AA came to life and helped so many thousands of people find their way out of the grip of alcoholism. Great historical story.
Felice
Jun 05, 2011 Felice rated it it was amazing
Took a while to get into it but now I want to read it again bc I fell in love w Robert Smith & his easy ways.
Librarymary
Jul 31, 2012 Librarymary rated it it was amazing
Loved reading about the background and personality of one of AA's co-founders.
Dante
Dante marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
Apr 21, 2016
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2016
Kathy Burnam
Kathy Burnam rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Ryan Nijakowski
Ryan Nijakowski marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Sunny Daze
Sunny Daze rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Marianne C
Marianne C marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Patricia Jones-harris
Patricia Jones-harris is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2016
Steve
Steve added it
Jan 23, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
jon peterson
jon peterson rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Jonathan D. Wenger
Jonathan D. Wenger rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Maude
Maude rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Mike Chumbley
Mike Chumbley marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Ted Sullivan
Ted Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
LORRAINE
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Staying Sober: A Guide for Relapse Prevention- Based Upon the CENAPS Model of Treatment
  • Moments of Clarity: Voices from the Front Lines of Addiction and Recovery
  • The Heart of Thoreau's Journals
  • Letters from Women Who Love Too Much: A Closer Look at Relationship Addiction and Recovery
  • In the Drink