Start by marking “For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)” as Want to Read:
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)

For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,588 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Flinx was just a freckle-faced, red¬headed kid with green eyes and a strangely compelling stare when Mother Mastiff first saw him on the auctioneer’s block. One hundred credits, and he was hers.
For years the old woman was his only family. She loved him, fed him, taught him everything she knew—even let him keep the deadly flying dragon he called Pip. But when Mother Mastiff
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published June 15th 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about For Love of Mother-Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Love of Mother-Not

J L's Bibliomania
Aug 23, 2014 J L's Bibliomania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads, sf
I read and enjoyed Alan Dean Foster’s stories of Flinx and Pip when I was a teen/college student. This was the mid-80’s and there were a half dozen books or so. They’ve recently been re-released (and apparently several more books have been written). My younger son, the voracious SF-Fantasy reader, picked up a few from the library, so I decided to give it a re-read.

I typically like to read extended series in the order they were written, not the order things occur chronologically in the series. Ev
Paul
Jul 16, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got My Book
Oct 27, 2016 Got My Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

An interesting YA prequel to a long running (though now complete) NA SF series.

BOOK DETAILS:
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster, read by Stefan Rudnicki, published by Audible Studios (2009) / Length: 8 hrs 15 min

SERIES INFO:
This is (chronologically) Book #1 of 14 in the completed "Pip & Flinx" series, all of which are available on audio. If you prefer to read in publication order, it is #5.

SUMMARY:
This is probably my favorite of the Pip & Flin
An Odd1
Jun 08, 2013 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fan
"But I don't want to be different," he insisted, almost crying. "I just want to be like everyone else." p245. The plaint of many a teen, but in a sci-fi setting. Easy to care for characters in a believable chase cross-country, saved more by smarts than deus ex machina luck. No odd omens or peculiar prophecies - straight action, motivated by different honest convictions.

In the marketplace of backwater planet Moth, Flinx, now 16, was raised the last eight years by Mother Mastiff, now 98. Gene-man
Meggie
I came across this audio book series by accident and decided to try it out. The starting point for Flint and his flying dragon Pip was well developed and enjoyable from the beginning till the end. I liked Flint. He was a smart young boy and I'm looking forward to read more about his adventures.
Debrac2014
Interesting story that left me with many questions! What other talent does Flinx have? What happened that flung him far from that warehouse?
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
In an attempt to fill in some of the blanks in the Flinx backstory, Foster published this prequel to the events that took place in The Tar-Aiym Krang. It tells how Flinx was adopted, about his relationship with Mother Mastiff, about his beginning uses of his talent, and provides some context about his enemies -- information that was sort of alluded to in Orphan Star and The End of the Matter is more explicitly handled here.

Its also a really good action adventure novel, as Mastiff is kidnapped an
Camille
Oct 25, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2015
I immediately was caught up in this story and it became a page turner for me. It slowed down a bit during the forest part, but quickly became a page turner again after he reached his destination... I liked the writing, the plot and characters... I look forward to reading more in this series.
Purpleallison Hoffman
This book was very "meh". I kept waiting for it to get exciting. Or at least to a point where I couldn't put the book down. But it never got there. The story wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
Matthew Link
Par for the course for ADF. An enjoyable read. Nothing of earth shattering brilliance, but he's always good for an enteraining story.
Dasha
Mar 25, 2017 Dasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
This is #1 in the series. Very good.
Tony Hisgett
I came across this book on a second hand stall, I had read the ‘Spellsinger” series about thirty years ago and loved it, so I thought I would give it a go. I enjoyed the start of this book but towards the end it began to drag a bit. It seemed to turn into a collection of incidents rather than a coherent story and it became a frustrating read.
Mike S
Oct 09, 2016 Mike S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
I really enjoyed this book, both because it was a good story with a lot of potential for development, and because I've read a couple of of other Flinx books over the years. So I'm really having a good time savoring the story and anticipating reading the whole series in order. Foster has a great imagination, creates convincing characters, and created an intriguing tale starting with this book.
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He was just a slightly unusual boy with a very unusual pet: a flying snake with a very deadly venom. Flinx has grown up under Mother Mastiff's care, and when she's kidnapped, he sets out to rescue her. But the adventure will prove to be more than he anticipated, the stakes higher, and the mysteries deeper. After all, what could anyone want with him?

The story of yet another adolescent boy and his pet has enough twists to keep everything fresh. Flinx's unstable and unpredictable Talent is only par
Al "Tank"
Orphan Flinx is adopted (bought) by a quarrelsome old woman who owns a small shop. Her shop is located in the only large city on a planet where it rains most of the time (sounds like the Pacific Northwest). She becomes the mother he never had.

One night, he "hears" a lonely thought using an unreliable "talent" for feeling emotions and traces it to a strange winged snake in a garbage heap which immediately "adopts" Flinx as his new owner (buddy?). He names it "Pip". Well, it turns out that Pip is
Kevin
Oct 19, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read with warm interesting characters you will care about. I am "re-reading" this series now in series order as most of them are available in audio book format. For me this is science fiction from the days when there was still sense of wonder and optimism about the future. That wonderful pulse pounding feeling is sadly lacking in much of today's nihilistic fiction, and this series fills that void very well.

Having said that, I would not recommend this book as an introduction to the s
Alex Simonet
Jun 14, 2014 Alex Simonet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Pip and Flinx series provides an engaging if not thought provoking read within the much visited (often sullied) realm of science fiction. A (very) short coming of age story, it introduces our hero Flinx as a young (you guessed it) orphan with 'a bit extra' through his childhood as a wilful youth in the misty city of death that is Drallar. Characterisation in these kinds of novels is often hit and miss not an integral part of the book so credit is due to Foster who crafts th ...more
Alice
Sep 19, 2016 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really Book One

This book covers Flinx's childhood and how he was adopted by Mother Mastiff. The boy seems to have a few unusual abilities and a very mysterious background. As he reaches his teenage years, he acquires a mini dragon from a alien planet who he names Pip. This is fortuitous as Pip enhances Flinx's empathy and protects him when the chips are down. His 16th year is a danger filled adventure.

Now with all of this, chronologically For Love Of Mother Not is the first book and th
Barbara
Aug 05, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Flinx and Pip. I've never read a book by Alan Dean Foster that I can recall, but I liked his style. I understand that this book is a prequel to a whole series of books about Flinx and Pip. Flinx is adopted as a young boy by an old woman who runs a shop. She pretty much lets him run wild and learn on his own, but gives him a warm and loving home. As he gets older, he realizes that he has a "Talent," he can read people's emotions, but not in any consistent way, h ...more
Brent Ecenbarger
The first (chronological) book in the Pip and Flinx series is a briskly paced story with likable main characters and flat/unpleasant supporting characters. The main character (Flinx) is interesting enough, and his flying snake adds some fun but the villains are cardboard and aside from a girl that helps the pair out the good guys aren't much better. Mother Mastiff in particular was cringeworthy at the end, unable to impart even the half truths to keep her adopted son safe from two separate group ...more
Dan
Sep 30, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the main character and I am looking forward to more of his adventures and seeing how he grows. Wish I had run across these books sooner!

On a side note I dislike how the books in the commonwealth universe have been categorized on GR. What should be done is someone needs to go through all the books and redo the whole category. They should all be under the "Commonwealth Chronology" with a second category if they are in a specific series.

For example For love of Mother-Not should be
William Bentrim
Sep 21, 2009 William Bentrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster

This is the first of the Pip and Flinx stories. Pip is an Alaspinian mini-dragon. Flinx is an orphan with interesting talents. Flinx is the unwitting target of both law enforcement and an underground outlaw group. Avoiding entrapment by either group is the gist of the story.

I have enjoyed the Pip and Flinx stories over the years and have carefully kept them for my grandson. I was delighted to find this first volume to set the scene for the later books.
Amy
Nov 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read in the Pip and Flinx series - I'm a sucker for reading things in chronological order.

It was pretty good, and kept my interest, for the most part.

My only complaint was the bad people/the villains. They talked way too much and spent too much time spelling out their plans to the point of making me want to skip their passages entirely. I know this is a fantasy world, but how much of it was really necessary? Did we really need to have the characters talk for paragraphs
Michael Hall
Mar 23, 2012 Michael Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Pip and Flinx story. Flinx is an orphan, who is an empath, on a strange world with a mysterious past, and an even more mysterious organization after him. Pip is an Alaspinian mini-dragon with highly toxic and corrosive venom who becomes Flinx's pet and companion. I like that Flinx's psychic abilities isn't the main focus of the character growth yet is still central to who he is and the suspense about his origins. This is the story of a youngster who survives and succeeds using ...more
Iain Turnbull
Nov 18, 2012 Iain Turnbull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, owned, kindle
The first Flinx book, this is really Flinx's origin story. It charts his adoption by the aged Mother Mastiff, who is then kidnapped some years later by the radical geneticists whose experiments led to Flinx's birth. They hope to use her to gain control over Flinx, who has empathic telepathic abilities, but doesn't know why or how to control them. The book then follows Flinx's attempt to rescue his adoptive mother, and his battle against the geneticists.

It's not a sophisticated piece of sci-fi, b
Becca
While I found the premise of this book interesting, I'm not as impressed with the story as I wanted to be. I found it a bit too adolescent for my taste. Things were resolved so easily, then problems arose that could have easily been prevented had communication actually been open, then problems were once again easily and somewhat miraculously resolved. Meh, not my cup o'tea.

Some of the characters were great, but others, I didn't see a point to their existence. Maybe they're important later on. Ma
Cherie Waggie
Nov 11, 2014 Cherie Waggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've never read the Flinx series, I highly recommend these books. You'll find yourself falling in love with the adventurous and adorable redhead, Flinx, as he fights his way to remain free from the genetic manipulators who created him, and his loyal and protective mini-dragon, Pip. I've read all of these books, and as Flinx has grown from childhood to manhood, I have really enjoyed accompanying him on his journey. The funny thing is that I started with a book that turned out to be number fo ...more
Megan
John
Jan 31, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entertaining and held my interest well. Alan Dean Foster does have a problem with shifting points of view from one paragraph to the next but I never seemed to have a problem with that.

Several of the characters had an annoying habit of being both interesting and temporary. I applaud this trait.

I was disappointed at the overall plot of the evil Meliorare Society. It seemed overly complicated and prone to mistakes. It was far to easy for a 16 year old to tear apart months of work by
Perry
Feb 24, 2015 Perry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Huge nostalgia burst reading this one.

Trying to not let it color my perceptions.

It was definitely a servicable read, but I think there were definitely things that could have been tightened up.

All the same though? It moved at a nice, brisk pace, and there's a bit at the end where Flinx sort of cries out about how he doesn't want to be different? How he just wants to be like everyone else?

I remember that really spoke to me when I was younger.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this seri
What's The Name o...: SciFi book - Fix/Fitz (?) with a small dragon-like companion [s] 4 32 Feb 16, 2013 09:12AM
Dragons, dragons ...: Pip and Flinx 1 2 Sep 14, 2012 05:45AM
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Eternal Champion, #11)
  • Wolfling
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • The Kiribati Test
  • A Wizard in Absentia (Rogue Wizard, #1)
  • Serpent's Reach
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • Irsud
  • Fire Dancer (Dancer, #1)
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • The Universe Against Her
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx #6)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)

“meal was sensitized: any nonprogrammed disruption” 0 likes