Conjugal Love

Conjugal Love

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  28 reviews
To begin with I’d like to talk about my wife. To love means, in addition to many other things, to delight in gazing upon and observing the beloved.
--From Conjugal Love

When Silvio, a rich Italian dilettante, and his beautiful wife agree to move to the country and forgo sex so that he will have the energy to write a successful novel, something is bound to go wrong: Silvio...more
Published January 17th 2007 by Other Press (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Conjugal Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conjugal Love

Dhanaraj Rajan
What to say about this book?

One can not say much without saying the plot. And that is not a disadvantage. For, the blurb of the book already reveals the plot. The difference or the specialty of the book lies in in its narration filled with deep penetrating insights into sexuality, conjugal love, social/moral conventions vs instinct, writing, and the act of writing a novel and a critical review of any novel.

The Plot:

It is about a married couple (Silvio and Leda) and about the love between the spo...more
Don
Jun 30, 2014 Don rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: italy
Short 1951 story about marital infidelity and writers writing about writing. So wanted to love this because of the author's anti-fascism and political skepticism, but alas... Will just have to read some more until evidence turns up to confirm that bias. Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century includes A Ghost at Noon so that will be next on the list.
Stela

S’il me fallait un seul mot pour décrire ce petit livre, ce serait – sage. Sage comme un après-midi tranquille et paresseux dans une chambre familière, où une chanson bien connue s’entend en sourdine. Sage comme une rencontre habituelle d’amis où le silence est aussi confortable que les discussions. Non extraordinaire, non bouleversant mais non plus médiocre. Juste – sage.

Narrée par le protagoniste Silvio Baldeschi, un jeune homme riche récemment marié, l’histoire semble promettre un coup d’œil...more
Suzy
This is a very short read, easily done in a day. Following on the heels of a book I really liked, it didn't grab me much, and I probably would have put it down except that it is so short I decided I might as well finish it. It got better, so I am glad I did. The story is translated from the Italian, was written in 1950 and takes place in Tuscany in 1935. The main character, Silvio, could have been invented by Dostoevsky. He is a rich dilettante who is self-absorbed, neurotic and overly analytica...more
Nessa
This book is a real gem in the Moravia line up. I am writing a book too, and Moravia really gets at the subtle details that can drive you nuts while writing. The self-criticism, the disbelief of flattery and the whole sex issue...well, you have to read it to really get it!
Robert
Conjugal Love by Alberto Moravia is a short, intense, somewhat claustrophobic novel about a wealthy man who wants to be a writer and who wants his new wife, a good bit earthier and more idealistic than him, to serve as his muse. They decide to hide away in the Tuscan hills for a while where he will put pen to paper and they will abstain from sapping sex until he's finished his great work.

As a first-person narrative, this is a very analytic, pushy book, much like Silvio, the writer. And like King...more
ahmed sami elwakeel
كثيرا ما يكون السخط بدايه اعجاب وهذ ما ابدته الزوجه تجاه الحلاق
كانت تنبهه زوجها ان يحميها من نفسها ولكنه لم يفهم
ولكن الزوج ادرك ذلك بعد فوات الاوان
بس طالما الموضوع
in puplic and with no feeling so what !!
Elizabeth
Silvio is having writer's block and in order to cure his creative impotence, he sacrifices sex. The very book he is writing is-- Conjugal Love. This self-reflexivity gave this book an extra jolt of pleasure for me and in this way, reminded me of Fellini's 8 1/2. As usual, Moravia creates a psychologically insightful, shocking story about disillusionment with his wonderful analogies: writing a story and having sex are similar acts and in this novel, the energy he exerts while having sex leaves hi...more
Semnebune
„Nici un alt scriitor nu poate sa redea batalia dintre sexe in termeni mai atroce. Sexul e boala, dragostea – o napasta. Un scriitor mai putin inzestrat nu s-ar fi achitat de aceasta dificila sarcina, insa Moravia este un povestitor de prima mina.” (Time)

Volumul Iubitul nefericit (1943) reuneste sapte povestiri, scrise cu eleganta si fluiditate. Fie ca este vorba despre un pusti a carui imaginatie infierbintata il face sa intre in conflict cu o pisica, fie ca itele povestii dau la iveala motive...more
Raul Clement
Moravia has been one of my favorite writers since I first read him at 22. He's incredibly lucid, psychologically accurate, and existentially profound. But unlike many European writers of ideas, he is also very good at the stuff we value (overvalue?) in American fiction: scene, description, dialogue. While he may not have the cultural clout of Sartre -- the writer he is most comparable to -- in ways I think he is better if you're first and foremost a fan of fiction.

This isn't one of his best nov...more
أحمد أبازيد Ahmad Abazed
رواية صغيرة , بسرد مورافيا السلس و الخبيث , و الاطمئنان الأخير الذي لا يوفره سوى التصديق للكذب المعتاد على النفس ... لتجاوز الارتباك أو الخيانة اللامعتادة , لكنّها خفيفة , ليست كالسأم مثلاً ..
Gertrude & Victoria
Moravia's common theme of misunderstood love between two people very much in love is central to this novel. Conjugal Love takes place in the romantic and beautiful countryside of Tuscany, a place where passions are always aflame and love is consummated eternally, an ideal place for a writer and his young wife to pass away the days dreaming sweet dreams together.

The protagonist, Silvio, a wealthy man with literary ambitions, seeks solitude in his surroundings in the country to finish a novel. He...more
Rick
Conjugal Love is a precise character study of two young Italians in love in Mussolini’s Italy. The man wants to be loved and to write; the woman, once married, wants a husband who is happy, occupied, and in love with her. The man is a touchy critic who doubts his own creative talent. After their honeymoon they retreat to a villa in hopes he will successfully complete a novel. The husband’s barber annoys, perhaps harasses, the wife, and the overly ambivalent husband is unwilling to dismiss him—th...more
Dina
Great story! Beautifully written!

***

Predpostavljam da će mi Moravia biti jedan od najomiljenijih egzistencijalista, portretista tjeskobnih individua, dok ne počnem da čitam Sartra ozbiljnije i u cjelini a ne fragmentima kao do sada :)

Divno piše! Pravilan i harmoničan dah proze! Oduševljena sam slikama koje dočarava, potpuno su žive i realne. Ne radi se samo o tome da mogu sve da zamislim lako, nego su takve da se nikad ne bih sjetila takve kombinacije karakteristka likova i detalja priče. Iskače...more
Eleven
4 stelle di piacere nel leggerlo. Trama banale gestita con uno stile semplice e un'analisi divertita che ne evidenzia gli aspetti meno insistiti. Non c'è traccia della disperazione dell'Ortis nonostante il tema lo richiami prepotentemente, non c'è traccia di disperazioni forti in genere, quando certo le condizioni permetterebbero loro di esprimersi più che legittimamente. E' il ritratto composto di un ambiente sterile di creatività e di gioia, dove l'inattività illude il protagonista di provare...more
iain meek
Another wonderful set of short stories from a master exploring the relationships between men and women.
Janine Mendes-franco
Engaging and skillfully written, the story is all about a wealthy young man who longs to be a writer and his sexually neglected wife. Originally written in Italian, I'm sure there are nuances that have been lost in translation, but still, a really enjoyable read.
Jitu Rajgor
I finished reading it today.This 142 paged pocket sized novel of Moravia is so interesting tempting and well written with thoughts and logic. Soon one can realize why he is a master of pure literature.
Pippa
A thoughtful book, rather than a gripping read. I love 'A Woman of Rome' but I felt that Moravia had nothing like the same power here.
Kelly
"Not for me the true masterpiece, not for me the dance on the threshing floor. I was relegated, forever, to mediocrity."
Francisco
Historia de desamor conyugal, llamativa por lo escabroso de algunos de sus párrafos. Por el resto, intrascendente.
أثير عبد الله النشمي
أحببت الجانب التحليلي المُتعلق ببطل الرواية ..
وماقد تكلفنا غوايةُ الكتابة ..
أثارت بداخلي شيئاً
Angie
Beautiful translation of a really interesting book - I need to find more translations of Moravia's work now.
Lynn
compact, well-crafted novel. characters and plot are nuanced, believable and engaging.
Grace
Loved "Contempt" and was pretty disappointed with this work.
Katherine
this is one good writer.
Michael
Written 9 years before Boredom the theme and even the characters are practically the same. But Conjugal Love at half the length is the one to read. The plot moves along and Moravia's imagery is top notch. His descriptions of the earthy, ugly village barber are memorable.
joana
joana marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Matias Albertotti
Matias Albertotti marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Eden Hunter: A Novel
  • Non avevo capito niente
  • The Saint of Incipient Insanities
  • Venere privata (Duca Lamberti, #1)
  • Saint Genet: Actor and Martyr
  • Irretrievable
  • Last Block in Harlem, The
  • Indian Nocturne
  • Concluding Unscientific Postscript to "Philosophical Fragments" (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 12, Part 1)
  • Castillos de cartón
  • Dangerous Neighbors
  • A Circle of Souls
  • The Moro Affair
  • Pompeii: The Living City
Alberto Moravia, born Alberto Pincherle was one of the leading Italian novelists of the twentieth century whose novels explore matters of modern sexuality, social alienation, and existentialism.
More about Alberto Moravia...
Contempt Boredom The Time of Indifference The Conformist The Woman of Rome