Start by marking “The Summer Day is Done” as Want to Read:
The Summer Day is Done

The Summer Day is Done

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When young British agent John Kirby comes to Russia in 1911 he is there to work and to explore a new and exciting country. He does not expect to fall in love, but an invitation to a ball from the Tsar changes all that and, after an evening of dancing and romance, John and the Tsar's eldest daughter, Olga, are totally captivated by one another.

Soon John is spending more tim
Published July 16th 2009 by Corgi (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Day is Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Day is Done

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynNight by Elie WieselThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Night and Day
58th out of 357 books — 37 voters
I, Claudius by Robert GravesWolf Hall by Hilary MantelKatherine by Anya SetonThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman
Faction
151st out of 279 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Tweety
Sep 25, 2014 Tweety rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Humor, Russia, Romanovs and Historical Fiction
Recommended to Tweety by: Dorcas
Why did I ever wait to read this book? (Since I'm not sure what to say, I'll leave it as is)

I don't know what to begin with, I loved every page, the sad along with the funny, the history and the fiction. I wouldn't change a thing. Even though it's about the Romanovs, we still get a semi happy ending, about as happy as it could be. And, I enjoyed the journey there, which is even better.

John (Ivan) was a remarkable hero, he kept a brave face even when faced with a completely impossible love, Olga.
Misfit
From the book jacket:

"Grand Duchesses are not destined to share their lives with untitled Englishmen. Glorious summer days do not last forever. The memories, however, do linger."

At the core this is a very simple story, that of John Kirby who has spent the last few years exploring Russia and its culture (he's really a spy for the British government). John's travels bring him to the Crimea as a guest of Princess Aleka Petrovna. The Imperial family is in residence at Livadia Palace and give a ball
Dorcas
They were strangers, eyes meeting in a sea of faces at a train station, but it was love at first sight...
Thus begins the tragic love story of John Kirby (Ivan Ivanovich) and Grand Duchess Olga. They were worlds apart in station but together in soul.

I found this story so GOOD. Yes, its fiction. But in real life stranger things do happen. So it didn't feel super far fetched. When we first meet John he is a British spy (but not against Russia or the Tsar). He eventually meets the Romanov family, be
Brittany
This is one of the sweetest loves stories I have ever read. I read this about ten years ago and loved it and I felt it was time to read it again. It is a haunting story of a forbidden love between the agent of the British king and the daughter of the Imperial Tsar. I have always had an interest in the Romanov family and in this book the author does a wonderful job of helping the reader fall in love with them. It is a must read.
Anne Harvey
Mary Jane Staples' books are always witty and humorous and this one is no exception. Yet it's also hauntingly poignant and I needed a couple of tissues at its ending. When British agent, John Kirby, meets the Imperial family of Russia in 1911, he is immediately entranced with Olga, the eldest Romanov daughter. The scenes with all the Romanov children are entrancing and, although you know there can be no happy ending at least for John and Olga, the love between them is innocently tender and touch ...more
Mimi
These types of novels are always pleasant reads - in this one, an Englishman is posted in Russia and ends up meeting and becoming friends with the Imperial Family, at the end of their reign. Sweet story, nicely sweeping history, and - with much of the action being set in Yalta - the perfect Sochi Olympics read.
V. Gingerich
I gave this four stars because it was my favorite book for a couple of years as a teen. I sobbed over it and reread choice parts and sobbed harder. Recently, I read it again and wondered why I'd loved it so, though I still enjoyed it and will probably read it again in a few years. There are a few risqué parts but I especially like the historical tidbits and the glimpse into the world of Russia's last czar.
Elsha
An enjoyable read. I did like the development of all the characters and the author's style. I certainly appreciated the romance although I hoped for a bit more of a breathtaking climax. I felt it was hard to really appreciate the main characters emotions and feelings as easily as it was to relate to some of the female characters.
Saturday's Child
An English spy meeting and falling madly in love with a Russian Royal Princess. An interesting plot that caught my attention but did not live up to my expectation of it.
Ellen
I found this book in my mom's library and was enchanted from the first page. Great historical romance, even knowing how it will end!
Ms. Beak In A Book
Ms. Beak In A Book marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Poist Quinzon
Poist Quinzon marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Vicki Noakes
Vicki Noakes marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Velia
Velia marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Shaz
Shaz marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jasmyn Bojakli
Jasmyn Bojakli marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mary Jane Staples is a pseudonym used by British author Reginald Thomas Staples (1911-2005). He is also published under the name Robert Tyler Stevens, R.T. Stevens, and James Sinclair.
More about Mary Jane Staples...
King Of Camberwell Down Lambeth Way Our Emily On Mother Brown's Doorstep The Young Ones