Start by marking “The Associate” as Want to Read:
The Associate

The Associate

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  48,486 Ratings  ·  3,336 Reviews
Copyright page says: This edition published by Arrow Books in 2009 in India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka only. However, the book was for sale in a Paris train station.

Kyle McAvoy is one of the outstanding legal students of his generation: he’s good looking, has a brilliant mind and a glittering future ahead of him. But he has a secret from his past, a secret
Paperback, Indian Subcontinent Only, 485 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by Arrow Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Associate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Associate

Stephanie
I was so disappointed in Grisham's latest work. He took more than half the book to create this wonderfully detailed plot and then three chapters to close the book. Three chapters in which he untwisted some of the elements of the plot, didn't resolve anything, and quit to early. I felt so unfulfilled at the end.

It kills me that his latest books haven't been up to par with his earlier works. In the beginning, his books were well-crafted and well-executed. After he began seeing his books turn into
Michael
Mar 02, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Good books don't necessarily have to provide all the answers to every plot thread introduced into them. We want our characters to feel like they have lives beyond the confines of the printed page and that their story exists before, during and after the book we're reading. But a good book should at least provide the reader with some sense of closure and not the feeling like an editor was standing over the writer, pointing out that he or she had x-number of pages left or he or she was slowly reach ...more
babyhippoface
Terrie
Feb 22, 2009 Terrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-law
The most anti-climactic book ever. What happened to the Grisham I used to love?
Salymar
Nov 08, 2012 Salymar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start this review by saying I LOVE KYLE MC AVOY. He's an idealistic, brave, intelligent not to mention a good looking law student. I wish I can find someone like him at the law school I'm going to be accepted at. (HAHA. Sorry, the girly side of my brain started to speak up. lol)

Some people say that this is a suffice to John Grisham's highly acclaimed novel, 'The Firm'. And after reading this, I found out that it is real and adequate. For the reason that in both novels, young lawyers are on
Sesh
Feb 08, 2009 Sesh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With every book, Grisham gets worse. I keep telling myself I should stop reading the garbage he his dishing out, but I keep going back just to find out how bad it can get. What can I say? I give one star because for effort, just to type the words in. Otherwise there is not much to recommend in this book. The plot is weaker than Bud Lite, the ending is anti-climactic.
Mark
May 22, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It was ok but no more than that. Young trainee lawyer blackmailed into working for an enormous law firm so as to steal information on a major case they are working. As with all Grisham novels it is an exciting enough story which means you want to turn over the next page but unlike previous Grisham novels I have read I was quite able to put it down when normal life demanded. I was interested to reach the denoument but not 'step over an injured puppy' type interested.

Erik Singer narrated and he d
Leah
Feb 14, 2009 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In most circumstances, the "quick reads" or "beach books" are so lame-brain and cornball that I skim the book in a half-hour (i.e. James Patterson) However, I have read (really read, not skimmed) every one of Grisham's books. I enjoy Grisham because his stories are the same. You have the same kind of characters, the same dialogue, but it's always suspenseful. You always want to know what's going to happen next. I am comforted by his predictability, for some odd reason.
Councillor
John Grisham is known for writing fast-paced escapism novels consisting of entertainment value more than of realism. "The Associate" deals with Kyle McAvoy, an ambitious law student in his last semester who later becomes an associate with one of the largest law firms in the world. However, not everything takes course as planned - Kyle is confronted with an unsettling detail of his past, a girl who claims to have been raped by two of his friends while Kyle himself watched dead drunk. A mysterious ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 02, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grisham fans, legal thriller fans
Nick
No spoiler alert needed because there are no spoilers. Every aspect of this novel has been done in earlier works of 'legal fiction' by Grisham, and sections bolted together for this new novel. It was enjoyable and a prototypical Grisham read, but there was absolutely nothing new under this literary sun...

Grisham should parody the creation of the next Grisham novel, where a bright young legal graduate is coerced into a secretive law firm. On his first day, he is spirited into a basement vault, wh
☮Karen
Mar 08, 2009 ☮Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thoroughly caught up in this book from page 1 and could barely put it down until the last page. Very exciting even though at times I wanted to yell at Kyle, the main character, not to fall for the blackmail scheme laid out before him. For anyone who has been to a few too many drinking parties in college, this will bring back those memories of regrets and situations that could have gotten out of hand. Kyle was involved in the latter, and thought it was all behind him, until he is approached ...more
Shannon
If you like Grisham's earliest works (the Firm, the Pelican Brief, etc.) you'll probably like this one too. It's fast paced, about a young lawyer in big firm who is in trouble. However, I didn't like this one as well as some of the others because I thought the ending was VERY unsatisfying. Grisham didn't tie up the ends the reader is dying to find out at the end of the novel. Darn! I'll be interested in what others say about it
Matthew
Jul 21, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems like lately when I read Grisham, its a good story with some interesting twists and turns, but the climax is not really super exciting and there tends not to be all that much resolution. That was the case again here. A good book - but not tons of excitement.
rachel
Dec 03, 2010 rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, own
Boy, that John Grisham really can write!

By that, I mean that he is capable of putting nouns, verbs, and punctuation in order to form sentences, because that is what The Associate is: basically just a lot of sentences. Sentences describing parties, lunches, bed linens, apartment interiors, and hunting trips, with half-assed attempts at intrigue and characterization thrown in here and there. Of course that's what "comfort fiction" and "beach reads" are all about. But I had it in my head from read
Oliver
Jan 19, 2016 Oliver rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one's ok. I'm pretty sure, however, that Grisham has a lot of much better things to offer in his more popular books. The thing that puts me off about this one is that things only stir up late (only until the start of the book's last quarter, I think). Before that, it's like he's just slowly making a big mound of anything; and you see, that's the part that's a little too boring.
Jim
Feb 09, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the slowest Grisham book I've read -- and I've read them all. It's tedious. It does not read like Grisham. There's almost no action until the end of the book, and then there's not much. What a disappointment.
Jim
Feb 06, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual with Grisham, I can't put a book down for very long until I've picked it up again. I would hope that there might be a follow-up to this one so I can learn about what happens to the "bad guys".
Stephanie
Apr 10, 2011 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brittany Jedrzejewski
“It’s Criminal!”

I am a positive person and I feel bad about putting negativity out there, especially in a book review. I must say, however, that The Associate by John Grisham was a terrible book. I hadn’t read anything by Grisham since The Firm and The Pelican Brief while in high school. At the time, they seemed like somewhat smart novels. I came across The Associate at Half Price Books and thought “why not?” Boy, has time changed the author—and not for the better. My mom put it best, “he has a
Stuart Fujisaki
May 03, 2013 Stuart Fujisaki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book off the shelf after coming across a blurb regarding this story’s protagonist. It said something like, “if you thought Mitchell McDeere had problems in The Firm, wait ‘til you see what happens to Kyle McAvoy in The Associate. “ What a crock of….. well, you know what.

I love The Firm - the book, that is – the movie was stupid. I return to it every two to three years. Somebody obviously grabbed me with the right hook to pick up this new Grisham story, but it sorely disappointed m
Joe
Jul 18, 2016 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Seth
Oct 22, 2012 Seth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every couple of years, I like to remind myself why I stopped reading his books. And this one was a really good reminder.

I was a big fan back in the nineties, when he first came out. I read all the books, watched most of the movies. But the stuff he writes now is so. . . different. In the last couple of books of his I've read, it seems like when the time comes for the crap to hit the fan, he just flushes the crap instead. Sure, it's nice and clean, but not nearly as exciting. Nowadays, he seems f
Kyra
May 05, 2011 Kyra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the 2nd incredibly disappointing book I've read by Grisham now. Unless he plans to write a sequel to actually end the book there is no excuse for this. It's like he got bored 3/4 of the way through & gave up & sent it to his editor or he didn't know how to end it so he just gave up - thinking we'd buy anything with his name on it because his first few books were pretty good.

An elaborate twisty set up with many characters and then NOTHING HAPPENS. I'm ok with "bad guys getting awa
Claire Grasse
Although I only gave this two stars (for its two-dimensional quality), that's twice as many as I've BEEN giving John Grisham for his last decade of writing). I'm hopeful that this means that Grisham is on a climb back up to the quality of plot he used to write in his earliest days (quality that seemed to grind to a painful halt soon after The Testament).

*****SPOILER ALERT*******

This book is really The Firm, reworked. The first 3/4 of the book has the protaganist Kyle hemming and hawing about h
Gerald Sinstadt
Jan 01, 2010 Gerald Sinstadt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With a big early hurdle to surmount and an ending that beggar's belief, this is far from vintage Grisham. The page-turning lure works but it does so by cheating. The Associate simply has too many loose ends. Building suspense and a sense of menace is not difficult if many of the suspenseful and menacing elements don't have to be explained.

When Kyle McAvoy, the eponymous Associate, is blackmailed in the opening pages over an incident in his past (not that he was actually guilty of anything) he d
Ellen
Sep 12, 2011 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know why I picked up a John Grisham book; that's something I gave up doing a long time ago. His first two books, A Time to Kill and a Pelican Brief, were very good. Every book since then has been more of the same. I feel like he has a pile of standard characters and situations, and he just keeps shuffling them around with a new twist here and there to keep it (mildly) interesting.

Once again, Grisham makes the point that the system of lawyer training is no good. First year associat
Kate
Jan 13, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Someone passed this book down to me after they bought it in the airport. I gave it 2 stars only because I was entertained enough to read to the end. But this book sucked. Ok....they say right at the beginning (and on the book jacket...no spoilers here) that the main character is going to be forced to spy for his fancy law firm. So then I waited...for page, after page, after page, for him to begin some damn spying. And when the "spying" did begin, it was so anticlimactic it was ridiculous.

Also, a
Somya
Jan 21, 2016 Somya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by this book especially because I've heard such praises about Grisham. I think I should've read The Firm first because now that I've read The Associate, I don't think I'm going to take it up. Anyway, the plot is not explained completely which is fine when books give you more than just the plot but not in this book because the plot was all it had.
Roberta
Feb 05, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legalthriller
The book read fast as do most of Grisham's novels. I enjoyed most of the book except for the ending. I felt that Grisham could have tied things up a bit better with about 50 more pages.

The main character in this novel is a Yale law student who is blackmailed into taking a job with a huge New York law firm because of a mistake he made in college. We find out exactly how he does his best to avoid breaking the law in this book. Written in the vein of the Firm, but not as good.

Still if you like Gris
What makes a book good? 1 11 Dec 11, 2015 11:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add yet another cover 4 90 Jul 03, 2015 09:13AM
Unanswered Questions 13 163 Mar 09, 2014 07:32PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #8 - The Associate 1 3 Feb 13, 2013 06:36AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book combined in a wrong book 2 24 Apr 24, 2012 10:58AM
  • Judge & Jury
  • First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #4)
  • The Case Of The Crying Swallow: A Perry Mason Novelette And Other Stories
  • The Rip-Off
  • Guilt (Abe Glitsky, #2)
  • Skyhook
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • The Brass Verdict (Harry Bosch, #14; Mickey Haller, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
  • Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #6)
  • Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...

“I needed forgiveness, because there were lots of sins in my past. I needed peace, because I’d been at war my entire life. I needed love, because I hated everybody. I needed strength, because deep inside I knew how weak I was. I needed happiness, because I’d been miserable for so long.” 1 likes
“Her shoes were short heels, open toe, no straps, red leather, high-class-tart stuff.” 0 likes