Start by marking “Long Story Short: Flash Fiction by Sixty-five of North Carolina’s Finest Writers” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This extraordinary collection gathers short-short stories--none longer than 1,800 words--by some of North Carolina's best contemporary writers, including Doris Betts, Orson Scott Card, Fred Chappell, Sarah Dessen, Haven Kimmel, Robert Morgan, Lee Smith, Elizabeth Spencer, and Daniel Wallace. The stories are compulsively readable. The spellbinding elements of brevity, varie...more
Published September 1st 2009 by University of North Carolina Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Long Story Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Story Short

Becky
This was a very good book of short short stores or flash fiction. I am from North Carolina so I love to read the books from authors in NC and based in NC. If you like really short stories you will love this book. I did not like all 65 stores but who would. There were some that were exceptional and I definitely want to read more of that author. This was a good book to get a taste of an authors work to decide if you want to read more from him/her.
Peg
A specialized book. Appreciated primarily by those of us who are fascinated with Southern Writers.

This collection of short stories had a criteria of no-more-than 1,800 words. Authors include Fred Chappel, Lee Smith, Elizabeth Spencer. ".. these sixty-five writers remind us why we read fiction: to laugh, learn, feel, be discomfited and challenged, be transprted, and to make enlightening and enduring connections with the world outside.
Katharine Sadler
I'm not a big fan of short stories, but I was still surprised to be so underwhelmed by this book. I think that the only criteria for publication was that the writer be a published writer from North Carolina, and not necessarily a good short story writer. In my opinion there are very, very few truly good short story writers, and I did not find that these short-shorts lived up to my expectations.
whitney
I read 1-2 stories every night for a month. I loved reading so many North Carolina authors- many former professors, many authors I've heard of all my life- and to feel a "short" connection with them and my time at UNC.
Erin
A collection of short stories from NC authors. Some I couldn't understand or didn't like, but I was impressed by most of them. It's amazing how much story can be crammed into such a small space.
Lianne
Flash fiction is a new genre for me. At first it feels like the fast food of fiction but it is so not. Glad I picked up this book and was reminded that NC fiction is so diverse and rarely boring.
Kristin
Interesting - the sort of Daisy Duke length short (stories) that make me think of Carver. Some better than others (duh, it's an anthology) but some gems in there among the rest of 'em.
Kathleen
This was a GREAT read. Many of these really packed a punch. Ok, a few I did not get but maybe I read them too fast. Still, a great show case for NC writers.
Amanda Nan Dillon
Loved 80% of this book. Gingher did an awesome thing, tracking down all the authors who call NC home and compiling these flash fiction stories. Love love love!
Anthony
Great collection. Fans of southern style should check it out.
Kate Elizabeth
Kate Elizabeth is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Anexandra
Anexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Bess
Bess added it
Aug 27, 2014
Ambercanread
Ambercanread marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Sondra
Sondra marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Gina
Gina added it
Sep 08, 2013
Davis Cox
Davis Cox marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Joseph
Joseph added it
May 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Bobby Rex's Greatest Hit Adventures in Pen Land: One Writer's Journey from Inklings to Ink A Girl's Life: Horses, Boys, Weddings, & Luck Teen Angel and Other Stories of Wayward Love Amazing Place: What North Carolina Means to Writers