Start by marking “Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop” as Want to Read:
Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop

Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Published November 3rd 2009 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Conferring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conferring

Reading in the Wild by Donalyn MillerThe Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerReadicide by Kelly GallagherThe Daily Five by Gail BousheyBandersnatch by Diana Pavlac Glyer
Literacy Go-Tos
24th out of 60 books — 34 voters
The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerReading with Meaning by Debbie MillerReading in the Wild by Donalyn MillerNotice and Note by Kylene BeersWhat Really Matters for Struggling Readers by Richard L. Allington
Best Books to Inspire/Teach Reading
17th out of 20 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Tony Keefer
Jul 26, 2011 Tony Keefer rated it it was amazing
Excellent and thought provoking book. Affirmed many of the things I believed about te power of conferring with readers, but also challenged me to look at conferring differently. Allen's writing is marvelous. Must read for any teacher who works with readers.
Deborah
Aug 26, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it
Lots of good thoughts on how to use conferring in your classroom and how it should look. It is a key to students learning how to read. I like that Allen doesn't make it sound super easy. He tells us that it is a skill that takes time to learn and refine. Really enjoyed this book!
Andrea
Jun 19, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
This book gave me a lot to think about when conferring with students during reading workshop. I got lots of good notes and ideas from it.
Tanya Windham
Dec 08, 2010 Tanya Windham rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Excellent resource! Allen shares his experiences as he improves his ability to do one-on-one "conferences" (conferring) daily with his students. The first part of the book spends time developing the purpose or philosophy for conferring. Allen then begins giving examples and strategies. This is one of several books written by members of the Public Education and Business Coalition. These strategies help students to become better readers, writers, and thinkers. This book is not just for reading tea ...more
Nov 08, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
After attending a conference where Patrick Allen was a speaker, I picked up a copy of Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop. His focus on conferring with students during reader's workshop served as a reminder of the power of really listening to student thinking and giving students the time and attention necessary to truly think deeply. In an era of one minute fluency probs, documenting and encouraging deep thinking to guide instruction needs to be at the forefront of teaching reading.
Dawn Little
Jun 25, 2012 Dawn Little rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
I've had this book on my TBR pile for a while. I had the opportunity to hear Patrick speak at the All Write Conference last week and thought I should have a little background. This book affirmed some of my thinking about reader's workshop and the importance of conferring, but also challenged me to think about how to make conferring work in my school with my students. A conversational read, Allen is pleasantly passionate about this keystone to reader's workshop.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Lots of ideas and things that affirmed my beliefs about teaching reading. Found a few things to try. Used some words I've never seen before.... I suppose this shouldn't be a complaint in a professional book for teachers... but I've seen A LOT of words, so perhaps the author might have been able to find a word that didn't make me have to stop reading to figure out what it meant. Nevertheless, definitely recommended for teachers.
Joanne
Feb 18, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it
A must read for any teacher of reading.
Nicole
Jul 17, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Highly useful, even for this high school teacher.
Kristen
Aug 12, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it

So thoughtfully and passionately written. I love his RIP model for structuring a conference and his scripted conferences to get a feel for how to encourage kids to become more strategic in their reading without doing all the talking. I know I'm light-years away from conferencing like Mr. Allen but he has given some great building-blocks for getting to his level at some point.
Mark Isero
This book was only OK. My favorite chapter, "The RIP Model," gave me great ideas about the three most important parts of any reading conference. I also appreciated that the author suggests tbat each conference can last between three and five minutes. This is something that I can do. Unfortunately, most of the book seemed less focused in purpose.
Cristina
Jan 08, 2014 Cristina rated it really liked it
Love this book still was just re-reading before starting workshop conferences second semester.
Sheryl Coats
Mar 13, 2010 Sheryl Coats rated it it was amazing
Wow! Awesome book! While I have been doing a reader's workshop for nearly 5 years along with conferring, this book really challenged me to take my conferring deeper. It's a easy read and it is full of wisdom, powerful quoters and real world application.
Mindi
Apr 15, 2010 Mindi rated it really liked it
This book gave me lots to think about as I plan my reading/writing workshop for next year. Definitely worth the money.
Donalyn
Jan 29, 2012 Donalyn rated it really liked it
A good exploration of conferring for teachers who are not sure how to begin. We read this as a department book study.
jacky
jacky marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jessica Moser
Jessica Moser rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
CS
CS marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Coleen Landry
Coleen Landry rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Evelyn Webster
Evelyn Webster marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Natalie Priester
Natalie Priester marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Melanie Watson
Melanie Watson marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Nicole Carta
Nicole Carta marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share with Student Writers
  • Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next
  • What Readers Really Do: Teaching the Process of Meaning Making
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • That Workshop Book: New Systems and Structures for Classrooms That Read, Write, and Think
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Teaching Reading in Small Groups: Differentiated Instruction for Building Strategic, Independent Readers
  • No More "I'm Done!": Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades