Justice League of America (Volume 4): Sanctuary

Justice League of America (Volume 4): Sanctuary (Justice League of America Vol. II #4)

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Dwayne McDuffie and Alan Burnett, writer / producers of the Emmy-award winning animated series, THE BATMAN & JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED join forces with superstar artists Ed Benes and Ethan Van Sciver for thrilling new adventures of the World's Greatest Super Team in this latest hardcover graphic novel in the series.

In this volume, the Justice League of America must turn...more
Published January 26th 2010 by DC Comics (first published January 6th 2009)

Steven
Sub-par collection of backup stories, vignettes, and the start of a longer mulit-part arc that does not hold together well at all.

This collection made me sad that there aren't editorial mandates to deliver complete story arcs when publishing a collection like this. (Then again, I'm also nostalgic for artists who'd focus more on telling the story instead of doing flashy art designed for resale more than the story. I lose count the amount of times I keep muttering (when perusing today's comics) "...more
StoryTellerShannon
MINI REVIEW: An intriguing idea which never came to fruition: super villains seeking sanctuary from government types which want to deport them to a planet.

The artwork of Benes is amazing at times and even at its worst is still good.

The tale doesn't finish and leaves a big question mark which I suppose is a setup for FINAL CRISIS. There are tales in between which break the flow and at the very least should have been put at the end.

STORY/PLOTTING: C plus to B minus;
ARTWORK PRESENTATION: B plus;
C
Jacob
Library copy. I normally like the various writers and artists showcased inside this book, but this collection is kind of all over the place in terms of story and different art styles. Alan Burnett of Batman: The Animated Series fame starts things off with art by Ed Benes. Benes draws in a similar style as Jim Lee and while I like his work, not every panel looks like a wonderful masterpiece. Sometimes it looked rushed. John Boy Meyer has an anime kind of style, I also like his art style, but his...more
Michelle Cristiani
Call me an amateur, even though I've still read more comics than most people. How is JLA not the same thing as Justice League of America? But I digress.

This art completely charmed me. The pages were glossy and the drawing is slick, and the inker make everything pop. The story started out perfect, with a great premise: villains are being rounded up, so a couple surrender to the JLA - em, excuse me, the Justice League. I can see why it had to shift focus to become a prelude to Final Crisis, but i...more
Micah
This book is all over the place. The book takes place during an event so that is all you can expect. The part that I directly into Salvation run are the weakest. McDuffie does some good work with Vixen here again and does some good things with flash and wonder woman at the end of the book. The art is all over the place. There are a lot of different artist for each story. Overall it is a very enjoyable read.
Andrew
The last comic I read during my collecting days was John Ostrander's Suicide Squad. I pulled this out of the library as the description led me to believe it would be the JLA vs. Suicide Squad - post Ostrander.

The collection of comics (4) collected under these covers was incredibly disappointing - and not because of the relative insignificance of the S.S. appearance. Rather, the stories collected do not form a cohesive unit, and they do not have a clear beginning, middle, and end. RATHER, it is c...more
Brad
The main story in this book is a not-especially gripping tie-in to JLA Salvation Run, in which a whole bunch of supervillains are captured and marooned on a prison planet. This book doesn't focus on the heavy hitters, but instead gives us villains like The Key. Actually, the Key himself just highlights how this book could be so much more--that character was used so well in a two-issue Grant Morrison JLA story years ago, but now is treading water. This book's in the same shape. There's a nice Fla...more
Jake
I'm really interested in what's going on with Vixen. I think it's a great conflict for a character like her to have, and my appreciation for it is boosted because I'm genuinely concerned and intrigued. How can she copy the powers of a Green Lantern ring?!

I have a soft spot in my heart for Red Tornado. I don't really know why; I haven't had much exposure to him. But for some reason, he's important to me and his love and humanity are so touching. Same for the Martian Manhunter; not much exposure t...more
Shane
More like 3.5 stars but more like 4 stars than 3 stars so 4 stars it is. This was fun. I've always liked big groups of heroes fighting big groups of villains and this definitely fit the bill. I like the build up - some shit is definitely about to hit the fan, unfortunately this was just the setup for the big deal. This really does pack in a lot of "big-hitter" villains in one graphic novel. I'm assuming they're all going to show up at the same time in the next book.

Great art, especially since on...more
Stuart Sparks
I know I read this one but I just can't seem to remember what the story was about. So, I'm guessing it probably didn't impress me all that much. But, the art is good ! It's Ed Benes, what can I say !
William Thomas
This book makes little to no sense. The main story doesn't conclude properly and the rest of the one-shots have zero impact on the main arc or the characters contained within.
Angela
A good tie in to Salvation run, as the JLA fight for criminals rights. Some nice character moments with Red arrow and Kendra.
John Yelverton
This book series has been an absolute joy to read, and Dwayne McDuffie makes it even better.
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Paulius
Paulius marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Superman/Batman, Vol. 6: Torment Flash 03: Esta era tu vida, Wally West Leaves from the Family Tree The Western Pacific: Challenge of Sustainable Growth Cambridge Medical Reviews: Haematological Oncology: Volume 3