Start by marking “The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)

The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  14,472 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
Nancy Drew believes her friend's guardians are trying to steal her inheritance. As she investigates, she has a perilous experience near the deserted bungalow.
Audio Cassette
Published August 27th 2002 by Random House Audio (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Bungalow Mystery, please sign up.

Tadashi Hamada Carolyn Keene isn't a real person. She's a pen name/pseudonym taken by many writers over the years. :)

Aug 09, 2010 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will probably never get over my girl-crush on Nancy Drew, and this book just confirms that fact. Which is not to say that the series is flawless and beyond criticism - kinda the opposite, really. One thing I've learned from re-reading some of these books as an adult is that whenever you start one, you have basically a fifty-fifty chance of ending up with 190 pages of dated, stupid crap. But this time, I was lucky. This book rocked. That being said, it doesn't escape from the flaws that personi ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is a comparative review of the 1930s and 1950s editions of this book - if you get a chance to read them side-by-side, I very strongly recommend it.

Of the three books I've read comparatively, this one diverges the furthest. Points of difference include:

- In the 50s edition, the guardian is accompanied by his wife - which makes the whole thing much less sinister. They also don't behave nearly as villainously.

- The 50s version introduces an entire subplot where Nancy is helping with a bank fra
Apr 01, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who think story + context = synergy
It's so hard to rate these books. It's all about context. But which context? I read them as a young reader, age eight or so, in the early 1980s. They were written in the 1930s, rewritten in the 1960s to contemporize them, and in some cases, rewritten again. Oh, and then there were the ones contemporary to my era in the first place, though I don't remember those well. Carolyn Keene was never a real person...if I researched the context of author, how much more would I understand these books?

Part o
Nov 06, 2015 Jaksen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the best Nancy Drew book ever written.

The writing in this one is sort of stale, and has the feel of having been written over, or revised, or perhaps was written by committee. If that's not the case, it's certainly how it seems.

Nancy sets out to help a girl who's suddenly orphaned, and is preparing to live with two new guardians. How does Nancy meet said girl? With Helen, another friend, Nancy is out on a boat on a lake and they caught in a storm and nearly drown. Of course they do
Read in tandum the original and revised editions:

The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Published 1930
25 chapters / 204 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardian is not all he appears.

The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Revised 1960
20 chapters / 180 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardians (a married couple) are not all they appear. An intersecting side plot involves a bank securities embezzlement case that Nancy is assisting her father with.

2012 personal reading challenge f
I loved The Bungalow Mystery! This was one of the first ND books I read. It's really memorable. The characters were great, it was a nice mystery. I think this is one of the best Nancy Drew mysteries.

Content: G - No inappropriate content
Mar 12, 2013 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Nancy Drew mystery! I devoured it in one evening. The plot twists had perfect timing. I love that Nancy solves her own mysteries while assisting her father with his predicaments. An enjoyable read!
John Yelverton
Sep 23, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Mar 29, 2011 Tabi34 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
In my quest to read (re-read) all of the Nancy Drew mysteries this year, I have just completed The Bungalow Mystery. I remember reading this one when I was a kid. Once again, it boggles my mind how dependent I've become on my cell phone. Every time Nancy goes off to investigate or sleuth as she calls it, I keep thinking - use your cell phone. Her car breaks down, today she'd be whipping out the cell phone and calling Triple A or using her GPS. Because Nancy doesn't have these modern day devices, ...more
Kristine Hansen
Dec 17, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kids
Action! Adventure! Suspense! And is that a hint or romance, Nancy? Who is this Don fellow, and wil we be seeing more of him? Or should I ask if YOU will be seeing more of him?

Ah, I do still love Nancy Drew. Some things I think are impossible to outgrow. Is the writing fabulous? Not by a longshot, but it gets the job done, giving you a tale that is interesting and full of twists and turns. Of course the two cases introduced at the beginning of the book have to be connected, some things you just s
While these Nancy Drew stories are not necessarily realistic, they are amusing and enjoyable, and I enjoy reading them to my daughter and she loves hearing them.

These original stories all take place in the age before cell phones and computers so Nancy seems to be in great danger many times, though thankfully the bad guys in these stories we have read so far never go past tying people up and disabling cars. No rape, murder, or serious violence. Maybe the Bad Guys all had more of a conscience in
Jan 28, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children
What a delight! This is the first Nancy Drew book I've read and although some of the language is somewhat outdated and old fashion I couldn't put it down!!! Suspense and action packed from the first page! Why didn't I start reading these earlier? It was grand!
The mystery was pretty good, and the plot twist was unexpected/
Our f2f group did a session where we all read one or more original editions of a Nancy Drew as well as the 1960s revised version. Some of us even read one or more of the most recent Nancy Drew series books. We then had a "compare and contrast" discussion that was lots of fun. Very interesting changes in style, characterizations & sociological aspects.

Bungalow was the title where I read both versions. I did not enjoy the 1930 Bungalow as much as the '31 Red Gate Farm. Still it was exciting.
This installment is definitely an improvement on the previous two. The mystery held together better, and I finally saw the Nancy Drew that generations of readers have loved. She's strong, smart, fiercely independent, and not afraid to get angry when the situation calls for it. I also appreciate that while she's frequently described as incredibly attractive - humorous in itself, since everyone in these books is gleaming with good humor and aesthetic appeal unless they're The Villains - romance is ...more
Stewie's Mom
I read all the Nancy Drew books as a pre-teen girl back in the 1970's. I loved them then, and now as an adult over 40 years old, I am enjoying them all over again!

I discussed the speaking-style of Nancy and her companions with a friend of mine and we both forgot how proper the speech was! I have been enjoying the good, clean mystery of the past, but I really had been thinking the books had been written in the early 1950's. I was imagining something along the lines of "Leave It To Beaver" timefra
Oct 13, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew, or Mystery Fans of all Ages
Recommended to Jill by: I'm a Nancy Drew Fan From Way Back
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, Book 3)
by Carolyn Keene
Edition: Hardcover

A Creepy Feeling, September 8, 2008

The Bungalow Mystery
Book 3 Nancy Drew

I have read this book several times in my lifetime. My first time was as an eighth-grader. Next, I read Nancy Drew while raising my girls. I'm now on the third-go-around. This time, I listened to the book on CD, and found it as exciting as ever.

Nancy and her friend, Helen Corning, are on vacation at a resort. When they take a boat out on the wat
Sep 14, 2015 Julian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The rest of the review can be seen in the following link:

Synopsis (As Seen On GoodReads)

While trying to help a friend out of a difficulty, Nancy has a perilous experience in and around a deserted bungalow, from which only her bravery and quick thinking save her.

My Overall thoughts on this book were that it was really filled with a lot of twists and turns and the mystery in this book was very well developed. There weren't that many new characters introduced i
Terrylee Mclaughlin
Nancy Drew a young detective will stop at nothing to help out someone in need. During this she gets her self in much trouble snooping through a bungalow and The Aborns house.
She has many close enough encounters, ex specially with Mr.Aborn. Some people were not who they said they were. Read this book to find out more!
I would recommend this book to people who like an exciting mystery. I have to admit it was kinda scary, even for me. It was a very good book.
Mar 08, 2016 Aynslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so much fun to reread these books! While I definitely prefer the Judy Bolton mystery series, I still definitely love Nancy Drew. The mystery is captivating, as always, and, while 16 year old me is capable of predicting the outcome quite easily, 6 year old me was completely baffled. The characters are well developed, especially considering that these books are so short. The Nancy Drew books are just all around fun and I definitely recommend that you read at least one of them in your life.
I read this series when I was in elementary school and I loved it. But now I feel a little bitter towards Nancy Drew because of how perfectly she's portrayed. Does this girl even go to school? She's always off solving cases and going off on adventures. Anyway, this book wasn't as exciting as the others I've read.
Fast and fun read

I definitely loved the mystery better in this one than the others. I know these books aren't super amazingly written but I still thoroughly enjoy reading them. I love seeing the differences in how people spoke between them and now etc too.
Book Him Danno
I read most of this series in my early teens, or my tweens years. I loved the relationship she had with her friends and with Ned. Nancy has a life I think I would have enjoyed. My own car? Yeah! No mom, no.
Jan 27, 2011 mal-mal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book sooooo much!!!!!! i loved the ending. it surprosed me sooo much. usually i would always know how a book would end especially a nancy drew book but not this time!!!!!
Feb 03, 2014 Madyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book and followed along and it was AMAZING! I loved it! It was like what's going to happen in some parts but it always turned out really really great!
Tonya Coleman
May 28, 2015 Tonya Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I are just flying through these books! I love that she is loving them as much as I did at her age.
David Firth
Oct 10, 2014 David Firth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated language and portrayals, but an enjoyable time with my 10 yr old daughter -- who loved it.
Book club decided on a Nancy Drew mystery for this month. Interesting....
Yay!! Nancy Drew saves the day again. I swear I'll never grow out of children's books
Sabby Fox
This book starts out with Nancy exclaiming loudly about some black storm clouds rolling in fast on her and her friend Helen Corning while they're out on a motorboat. She begins to get worried because they're a ways away from where they're staying. Smack dab in the middle of Twin Lakes with no life jackets, they're forced to keep moving or be stranded in the middle of the perilous lakes.

Before long, the wind starts rocking the boat and lightening starts. Of course, rain begins to fall shortly aft
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery at Mead's Mountain (Trixie Belden, #22)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)

“Chuckling to herself, Nancy said aloud, "Romance and detective work won't mix tonight!” 29 likes