Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ” as Want to Read:
Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ

Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  51,167 Ratings  ·  1,467 Reviews
Is IQ destiny? Not nearly as much as we think. This fascinating and persuasive program argues that our view of human intelligence is far too narrow, ignoring a crucial range of abilities that matter immensely in terms of how we do in life.

Drawing on groundbreaking brain and behavioral research, Daniel Goleman shows the factors at work when people of high IQ flounder and th
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 10th 2001 by Macmillan Audio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Ashley The book I have has, "with a new introduction by the author," on the front cover and, "With new information reflecting the latest research, this tenth…moreThe book I have has, "with a new introduction by the author," on the front cover and, "With new information reflecting the latest research, this tenth anniversary edition updates Goleman's thinking and answers key questions posed to him during his worldwide speaking appearances. A new section also guides readers to the best resources in the fast-growing field of EI studies," on the back cover. Hope that helps.(less)

Jim
This visionary book by Daniel Goleman is one of the most important in my collection. I see it as a seminal contribution to understanding the human condition, and a roadmap of practical steps for living better, both within ourselves and with those around us.

I begin by recommending the excellent review by Lars - a clear, well-written summary of the major points in the book.

Here I will focus on 3 topics from the book: 1) the evolution of brain mechanisms for emotional and rational behavior; 2) how
Heba
May 13, 2014 Heba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب لا يستحق القراءة فحسب ..بل يستحق الدراسة..
بقلبه يرى الأنسان الرؤية الصحيحة ..فالعين لا ترى الجوهر
إن هذا الكتاب يتناول الذكاء العاطفى ومدى تأثيره على انفعالاتنا
وقدرتنا على اتخاذ القرارات المصيرية
الخلاصة
أن العاطفه بقبضتها القوية تهيمن على العقل المنطقى لذا علينا
الوعى بالذات
القدرة على ادارة العواطف والتعامل مع ضغوط الحياة
تجنب الأندفاع و القدرة على اتخاذ القرارات العاطفية
توجيه العلاقات الانسانية.. بمعنى القدرة على الأستماع للآخر والنظر بمنظور الآخرين..,

Lars Guthrie
Jul 04, 2010 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After several years of looking at this seminal work on my to-read list, I am happy to have finally read it. It should be on the to-read list of educators and parents.

To learn and to grow, children first need to be ready to learn and to grow. However, how and what we need to learn today can differ significantly from the requirements of our ancestors. Evolution equipped us with an early warning system, the limbic system of our brains and its marvelous filter, the amygdala.

This system connects se
Taka
Descriptive but not very practical--

The main and only thesis of the book is: emotional intelligence is important. That's it. Goleman spends over 13 hours in this audiobook to pretty much buttress the thesis with evidence from various sources including psychology, medicine, and educational programs.

The content is interesting at times but overall, the message got repetitive and I was looking for any useful information to put to use in my daily life from the book to no avail.

Unfortunately the book
Andy
Feb 01, 2008 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It certainly contains a lot of useful info, but boy, is it ever dense! Reading it is like hacking your way through a dense jungle with a dull machete. It must also be noted that it is most definitely of the school of 80's/90's "hard-wired" thinking about the brain, and hard-sells the view that, to put it simply, mind comes from brain, and not the other way around. In other words, nature, not nurture. (For comparison, try Sharon Begley's Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain, which, oddly enough, ha ...more
Jan-Maat
Emotional Intelligence is a book that was recommended to read on a management course that I took, oh, some time way back towards the beginning of the century. The course was taught by a middle aged white woman from southern-Africa. She also recommend Covey's book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, but in my enthusiasm that didn't put me off from reading this, perhaps because of an exercise she conducted with us in which you think of something that you'd like to do but haven't done and ...more
Tina
Oct 18, 2007 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after a big break up and it really opened my eyes to how I contributed to that break up. It's extremely important to have emotional intelligence and this is a fascinating discussion behind the theory and science of EI.
Amir
Recommended to: If you think you don't have a high IQ and thus, your are condemned to a mediocre life.

What this book is about:
The apostleship of the book is twofold, Firstly it is to convince you that EQ matters far more than IQ in achieving high levels of success and it does it perfectly through providing N+1 lengthy repetitive case studies.
Second, it provides an almost accurate introduction to what EQ is, what elements contribute to a high EQ and finally what the consequences of strength and
Kristl
Apr 30, 2007 Kristl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who throws things when angry or doesn't cry, ever
I had to read this book for a leadership academy I was in and I found this to be a surprisingly good experience.

The book introduces and explains the concept of "emotional intelligence," which, since beginning to read the book, I see is so much more important than almost any other awareness one could have on a day-to-day basis personally and professionally.

Don't be shocked, if, in describing the many levels of emotional intelligence or lack thereof, you immediately think of friends, family, and c
Gage
Aug 15, 2007 Gage marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If you're like me, you're extremely leery of anything that reeks of pop psychology. But Emotional Intelligence has no such odor. First, author Daniel Goleman is the real deal. He has his PhD, of course, as do many snake oil salesmen, but unlike these others, Goleman has academic street cred: he founded an institute at Yale, heads up another at Rutgers, and wrote science columns for the New York Times.

At first glance, I can see that this book, though written more than 10 years ago, still packs a
Katja
Oct 05, 2011 Katja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotional Intelligence produced such conflicting feelings in me that I am torn as to what to write about it. For the most part, it is well-written, intelligent and compelling. The messages are simple yet profound, and I have to agree that the importance of social and emotional skills can’t be understated. On some level I think Daniel Goleman and I think in much the same way, and even though the book is 15 years old now, on the whole it is as applicable as it ever was.

*disclaimer – angry rant co
د. حمدان
ذكاء المشاعر – دانيال غولمان

دانيال غولمان هو أخصائي نفسي أمريكي من مواليد عام 1946 كان يكتب عن الدماغ وعلوم السلوك بشكل دوري في جريدة النيويورك تايمز وقد حقق كتابه هذا والذي نشر عام 1995 نجاحاً ساحقاً.. وتصدر لوائح الأكثر مبيعاً لفترة طويلة.

يتحدث الكتاب والذي أعتبر كتاباً ثورياً في زمنه. عن كون الذكاء العاطفي.. أو ذكاء المشاعر هو أحد معايير النجاح للفرد. وهذا أمرٌ ينسف الفكرة السائدة عن معدل ذكاء الفرد بكونه المعيار الوحيد المحدد لقدرة الفرد على النجاح.

وجدتُ شيئاً غريباً فيما يخص النسخة العربية
Jim
Apr 24, 2008 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some interesting things in the book, things that are hard to disagree with, such as emotional skills and self-knowledge are important. I think a lot of people who liked this book focused on that self-help aspect. I have no problem with that. My problems with this book stem from the wider claims Goleman makes for EQ as a mental function.

Goleman bases this aspect of his theory on some whopping assumptions. The biggest one is the idea that emotional intelligence even exists. The main asp
Mahmoud Homsi
I think the best part of the book is when he explained about the five major components of the emotional intelligence as:

1. Self-awareness: Recognize and understand your own moods and motivations and their effect on others. To achieve this state, you must be able to monitor your own emotional state and identify your own emotions. Emotional Maturity in this trait shows:
-Confidence
-Sense of humor (can laugh at self)
-Aware of your impression on others (can read the reactions of others to know how yo
عمر الحمادي

"أي شخص يمكن أن يغضب ، هذا سهل ، لكن ما ليس سهلا هو أن تغضب من الشخص المناسب في الوقت المناسب للسبب المناسب وبالشكل المناسب" أرسطو

عندما ضحى أبوين بحياتهما من أجل إنقاذ طفلتيهما عن طريق دفعها خارج نافذة القطار الذي سقط في النهر ، فإن علماء الارتقاء الحيوي يفسرون دافع هذه التضحية بأنه لضمان التناسل والتكاثر البشري وضمان توريث الجينات إلى الأجيال التالية ، لكن الأب لا يعرف هذه التفسيرات الداروينية لأن دافعه كان الحب و الحب الخالص فقط الذي يقوم على الإيثار، مما يدل أن مشاعرنا هي مرشدنا الأساسي الأول
Γιώργος Κατσούλας
Αν και κάπως δημοσιοσχεσιτικο (δηλαδή σου λέει πως μπορείς να τα έχεις καλά με προϊσταμένους διευθυντές συναδελφους) είναι πολύ ενδιαφέρον
Huda
Mar 14, 2015 Huda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب جميل وناقش الموضوع بتحليل مفصل ودراسات وتفرع الى كل المواضيع المرتبطة فيه اللي ممكن تخطر على بالك.. تفاجأت من ارتباط هالموضوع بحياتنا اليومية وانفعالاتنا وردود أفعالنا من الصغر بالضبط من عمر شهور لمن نحس بالتعاطف او الشفقة مع الأطفال الآخرين ومحاولتنا مساعدتهم.. و هالنوع من الذكاء يمكن مظلوم صاحبه في البداية لأنه ما يعرف كيف يستغله وينميه وكل تعليمنا يقيس الذكاء العددي, اللغوي وغيرها.. لكن بالمستقبل احتمال كبير جدا انه راح ينجح اكثر من غيره لأن اختبارات الذكاء والقدرات ما تقيس قابلية المر ...more
imane
ان الغضب يجعل الشخص غبيا. عندما يضطرب الشخص عاطفيا يفقد القدرة على التصرف بطريقة صحيحة وعلى اتخاد القرارات السليمة. ان الذكاء الاجتماعي والذكاء العاطفي هو سر نجاح الفرد سواء في حياته الخاصة مع اسرته او في عمله. القدرة على التكيف والتناغم مع مشاعر الغير امور جد مهمة. عندما تريد نقد احدهم قم بنقد تصرفاته وافعاله ولا تقم بمهاجمة شخصه وهذا ما يسمى بالنقد البناء. ان للمشاعر السلبية كالحزن القلق والغضب تاثيرعلى صحتك الجسدية وقد تسبب لك العديد من الامراض كامراض القلب والمعدة والامعاء وارتفاع ضغط الدم . ...more
Stevie
Sep 27, 2007 Stevie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secular
Insightful book on the importance of relating well with others and being in tune with one's emotions.

Poignant Quotes:

...childhood and adolescence are critical windows of opportunity for setting down the essential emotional habits that will govern our lives.

...social intelligence is both distinct from academic abilities and a key part of what makes people do well in the practicalities of life.

social competence - how well or poorly people express their own feelings

With a complaint a person critici
Paul Fulcher
Apr 06, 2015 Paul Fulcher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A difficult book to review and my 2 stars are an honest reflection on what I gained personally from reading the book, rather than what the world gained from the book having been written.

This was clearly a groundbreaking and seminal work, particularly in bringing the important topic of emotional intelligence to a wide audience. However, that doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile read 20 years later, particularly for those in search of practical advice.

There is a significant focus on how the b
Lyn Elliott
Dec 17, 2015 Lyn Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this years ago - the reading date of 2004 is entirely arbitrary and I'm writing this at the end of 2015.
I remember the essential messages vividly, especially his discussion of why emotional thresholds differ, and the importance of counting to 10 to let the rational brain kick in over the primitive amygdala response. A good deep breath goes a long way.
I love the concept of emotional intelligence - very useful in dealing with others.
Wafaa Golden
Dec 16, 2015 Wafaa Golden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
الذّكاء العاطفي
يتحدّث الكتاب عن كيفيّة التّحكّم بردّات الفعل العاطفيّة والانفعاليّة..
أو ما هو تأثير ردّات الفعل تلك سواء كانت إيجابيّة أم سلبيّة..
الكتاب جيّد جدّاً في موضوعه لا بل ممتاز..
أعتقد أنّه من الضّروري أن يقرأه الجميع لما فيه من نصائح وقصص واقعيّة تؤيّد الفكرة التي وضِع الكتاب من أجلها..
ومن أراد أن يسأل ماذا يعني الذّكاء العاطفي؟
أجيبه باختصار بأنّه التّحكّم بردّات الفعل.
فكم من العلاقات الاجتماعيّة والعائليّة قَضي عليها لهذا السّبب..
وكم من الصّداقات دمّرت بسببه أيضاً..
فرغم التّعريف البسيط
Fatima abuzaied
ربما ما ينقصنا في هذا العالم المعقد القدرة على السيطرة على انفعالاتنا ... يتكلم جولمان في كتابه عن علاقة الذكاء وعدمه وفي التاثير على انفعالاتنا ... يربط ذلك فسيولوجيا دماغ الانسان ...
فقد اثبت علميا ان الكثير من الاذكياء دراسيا هم اغبياء اجتماعيا... على النقيض هناك ممن اعتبرهم اغبياء دراسيا كانوا اذكياء عاطفيا ..
وعليه يرى جولمان انه من الضروري ان يتم تعليم الذكاء العاطفي في المدارس كما يتم دراسة القراءة والكتابة والحساب...

يعرض الكثير من المشاكل التي تواجه المجتمع؛ الاطفال,الازاواج ,مشاكل العمل ,
Mon Maryum
Firstly, I don't agree with the title of the book. One shouldn't matter more than the other but rather, there needs to be a balance of IQ, EQ and CQ. We need every aspect of intelligence and not just have a push-pull relationship like 'This is important but oh, this matters less that THAT intelligence".

Most of the contents in the books seemed unnecessary to me. It is mainly the author just rambling on and on about all the stories he heard in all his life of other people (or at least, it seems l
Helmi Abdulaziz
Oct 12, 2012 Helmi Abdulaziz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الذكاء العاطفي

دانييل جولمان

عرض:مجتبي العلوي ..عن سلسلة عالم المعرفة صدر كتاب (الذكاء العاطفي) ، محتوياً على ثلاثة أقسام مع مقدمة، يقدم المؤلف في هذا الكتاب طريقاً جديداً للنظر في جذور أسباب أمراض الأسر والمجتمعات، ويدعو فيه إلى ثقافة العقل والقلب معاً. قام المؤلف في هذا الكتاب برحلة تأمل علمي ثاقب في عواطف الإنسان، نفهم منها معنى الذكاء، وكيفية ارتباطه بالعاطفة، ونطلع عبر صفحاته على مملكة المشاعر وتأثيرها في مسار حياتنا.

اعتمد المؤلف

على الأبحاث الطبية والدراسات التي أجريت على الدماغ البشري خلال
Lize
When I first read this book in 1995--the year it was published--it was required reading for my job in human resources consulting, and I found it amazing and insightful. Fifteen years later it still has some good things to say, but knowing how we've not only ignored Goleman's advice but actually run in the opposite direction (empathy, anyone?) it just made me sad.

The book concerns itself with a key set of characteristics he calls 'emotional intelligence': abilities such as being able to motivate
Thomas
Sep 10, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book that delves into the science behind emotional intelligence, the components that comprise the trait, and the practical applications of possessing EI. While I knew a decent amount of the information beforehand as a Psychology student, several points stood out to me, such as the explanation of child molesters' mindsets, the idea that abused children gain heightened emotional perceptiveness, and almost all of the brain-related information. My favorite sections appeared toward the end, w ...more
TarasProkopyuk
В самом названии книги «Эмоциональный интеллект. Почему он может значить больше, чем IQ» уже многое сказано о чём в ней автор будет нам повествовать. Но не смотря на то, что я ожидал многого от книги я и близко не смог предположить, что она будет настолько прекрасной! Автор в своей книге очень методично и систематично смог доступно объяснить почему казалось бы похожие внешне люди так сильно отличаются друг от друга главным образом не интеллектом, а эмоциональным богатством, более нам знакомому к ...more
Hanne
I'm wondering whether this book is perhaps a bit outdated. It is 20 years old, and many of the things we take for granted now might not have been at the time. This book, above anything else, feels like a massive pamphlet to tell us that emotional intelligence is critical. And it shows what happens if we don't have it (either because of brain malfunctioning or bad parenting).

This day and age I think very few people still need convincing that there is such a thing as emotional intelligence; we al
Wendy Yu
Jul 27, 2011 Wendy Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The funny thing about reading old seminal books that have already made their point is that your natural attitude toward their genius society-shaking discoveries is "duh"

Emotions are important. duh.
Emotional competence is a better predictor of success than intelligence. duh!
Once you recognize your emotions, they lose their power, as you are more able to manage with reason. duh! duh!
Anger works like Super Mario Bros., triggering events in quick succession cause you to jump up higher and higher un
Emtional Intelligence 2 36 Feb 06, 2016 07:24AM
So far 13 162 Oct 26, 2014 05:20AM
  • The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Toward a Psychology of Being
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR
  • The Age of Unreason
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine
More about Daniel Goleman...

“In a very real sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels” 77 likes
“A belligerent samurai, an old Japanese tale goes, once challenged a Zen master to explain the concept of heaven and hell. The monk replied with scorn, "You're nothing but a lout - I can't waste my time with the likes of you!"
His very honor attacked, the samurai flew into a rage and, pulling his sword from its scabbard, yelled "I could kill you for your impertinence."
"That," the monk calmly replied, "is hell."
Startled at seeing the truth in what the master pointed out about the fury that had him in its grip, the samurai calmed down, sheathed his sword, and bowed, thanking the monk for the insight.
"And that,"said the monk "is heaven."

The sudden awakening of the samurai to his own agitated state illustrates the crucial difference between being caught up in a feeling and becoming aware that you are being swept away by it. Socrates's injunction "Know thyself" speaks to the keystone of emotional intelligence: awareness of one's own feelings as they occur.”
31 likes