Start by marking “Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)” as Want to Read:
Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)

Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands #8)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  42 reviews
It is summertime in Provence, 1926, but for Scotland Yard detective Joe Sandilands it's not all 'Dance and Provencal song and sunburnt mirth'. A troubling crime has been committed days earlier at the chateau, leaving a clear message that more violence is to come. To allay panic, Joe agrees to stay on and root out the guilty person.
Published March 25th 2010 by Constable (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Images of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Images of Death

LJ
First Sentence: He studied her sleeping face for the last time.

Scotland Yard Commander Joe Sandilands is taking Dorcas, his friend’s 14-year-old daughter, to meet her artist father at an old castle in Provence. On the way, she asks Joe to find the mother who abandoned her when she was 2 years old. Upon arrival, there is a second mystery to solve. It begins with the destruction of a tomb figure, escalates to the death of a rabbit and culminates in the murder of a beautiful woman. Forced to work w
Dorothy
There are too many words in this novel! I wanted to like this book after reading and enjoying Folly du Jour, but it was very difficult to get into because there was so much superfluous prose. Too many unnecessary descriptions and asides, too much detail.

A good example is the chapter between the two French detectives, where the local guy, tasked with investigating the incident at the chateau, manages to palm it off on the Paris cop. A whole chapter for one conversation, which isn't even relevant
Jim Leffert
This character-driven historical mystery, which takes place in 1926, is a worthy addition to the author’s Joe Sandilands series. This time, the WWI veteran and Scotland Yard Commander is not in exotic India but rather in the South of France, visiting a venerable chateau. The chateau’s aristocratic owner has opened it to a group of artists, led by Orlando, the father of Joe’s teenage ward, Dorcas. Joe, along with two French Sureté detectives, is enlisted to solve the mystery of the brutal smashin ...more
Sue
I hate to give 1 stars, but I have to be honest. I couldn't get into this at all and gave up on it very early on. For me it just seemed to be a whole stream of words that went nowhere. I see many people have rated it highly so I am sure that it's just a case of it not being my kind of book.
Marilyn
My favorite so far -- Sandilands is back, the delightful Dorcas is back, the mystery is clever and the setting is fun. (view spoiler)
Debbie Maskus
This is a Joe Sandilands mystery with the setting at a castle in France complete with the grandeur inside the castle and the breathtaking scenery. The story starts with the crime in the moment before the crime has been committed, then quickly shifts gear to the events leading to the crime and the description of various characters. Dorcas, a "niece" of Joe's, enters into the investigation, plus she discovers her own secrets. Cleverly subdues the discovery of the killer very well, but certain clue ...more
Susan
Joe Sandilands was planning to drop his adopted niece Dorcas with her father in the art colony where they will spend the summer. But first Dorcas begs him to help her find her long-missing mother, and then the chateau where he's to leave Dorcas seems to be the center of a crime wave. When there's a death, Joe must stay to help the French police, and also ensure Dorcas's safety, before he can enjoy the pleasures of the 1926 Riviera scene. A strange mixture of French, English, Russian, and America ...more
Sandi
A little mystery by Barbara Cleverly is a almost a delight to read its fun trying to imagine the surroundings in this one
Susan
Scotland Yard Commander Sandilands returns in 1926 France, where he is dropping off Dorcas Joliffe, his honorary niece, at an old chateau where her father is engaged in an artist’s retreat. Upon their arrival, Joe is drawn into investigating a nasty piece of vandalism. Before he can solve this mystery a young English woman is stabbed and the French Police Judiciaire are called in. Somewhat reluctantly they also ask for Joe’s help because so many of the suspects are English. Dorcas is an especial ...more
Carmen
Scotland Yard detective, Joe Sandilands, is on vacation in France. On his way to Antibes he is dropping off his niece. While in the Luberon, a priceless statue is destroyed. Then the next day a body is discovered. Sandilands joins the French forces to discover the murderer.

The details and the method of murder were quite intriguing. I've read a lot of mysteries, and this was unique. Jealousy, hate and misplaced love are often motives, ut not usually displayed in this manner.

Characterization is g
Margaret
This is the latest in a series, which began set in India during the Raj but whose hero (and trust me, dashing doesn't begin to get it across!) has now returned to England and France. I have to say that I enjoyed the India ones more; this is probably my favorite of the ones set in Europe. Still, I found the whole thing a bit flat, and lacking the intensity that earlier books in the series have had. I'll keep reading them because they're fun and well-written, but I'm not going to say this is a mus ...more
Kathy Moberg
Barbara Cleverly does a great job of sustaining the quality of this series!
Not as good as previous 'Joe Sandlands' titles, but still interesting. The story revolves around the destruction of an ancient funerary statue, and then an actual murder atop the crypt. I enjoyed the look at Provence - and the artist colony that resides at the mansion in the 1920s - but the pace of the story seemed to lag, and I felt that there were too many characters involved. Joe was a little less snappy in this one.
Ali
I really like Cleverly, and I think this may be one of her best. The characters can be a bit difficult to distinguish -- there are so many of them staying at Chateau Silmont, and they don't have quite enough personality until the end -- but it doesn't really detract from the book.

The mystery is well-plotted without being too obvious, and Cleverly does a good job of caputuring the flavor of the time and place.
Elli
Excellent. A view through the ages of southern france, a strong historical treasure anyway, through the eyes of some people who respect that history as well as being willing to immerse themselves in it. It's a real murder mystery as well, based on that history which involves the cooperation of three distinct police representatives including Joe Sandilands from Scotland Yard.
Kristin
Like other books recently, I plowed through this one. The plot and characters were intriguing, but I admit I had a hard time getting past referring to the detective as "Joe". It seems so American rather than British. Every time I read, I felt disconcerted.
Pamela
The eighth in the Scotland Yard Detective Joe Sandilands series takes place in France where Joe is once again attemtping to go on holiday. But of course a body - or two - fall in his way. I find I prefer the first few in the series which take place in India; more exotic background and characters. But I'm still taken with Joe!
Jane
This reminded me a little of Artists in Crime by Ngaio Marsh but it wasn't as good. I found there were parts where my mind started to wander and that probably didn't need to be in the book. The plot was quite clever and I like the character of Joe Sandilands but I am not sure if I would read another one. A little disappointing.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
I adored the early Joe Sandiland's mysteries. What I have come to realize is that Clerverly's skill is combining character and location rather than the cleverness of the mystery. This one suffers a bit like the last in that the local of France is just not as interesting as where these started in India.
Pam Henson
This book tended to drag.. I still like Sandilands.
Debbie
A series I am very fond of. Joe Sandilands is with New Scotland Yard in the 1920s. He gets involved, in this case, with a murder in an artist's colony in Provence. The motive for the murder seemed a bit forced, but Joe and his niece are good characters.
Patricia
I like Barbara Cleverly and I like Joe Sandilands, WWI returnee to Scorland Yard-ish. The series is now moving ahead again and it is fun. Good twists, and I guessed the who done it, but then wasn't sure... Looking forward to more!
Mary G.
Cleverly writes such an enjoyable old fashioned series. This was one of her best. The series started in India and this story takes place in Southern France. Sandilands is a wonderful protaganist. Looking foward to his next adventure.
Angie
I do love it when I can figure out the mystery slightly before the reveal. Still winding and complex with a slightly smaller mystery also included. I'm sad that Joe had to come back from India, but he is still a stellar detective.
Gina
Another good book in a mystery series by Cleverly. The setting is the south of France in the 1920s. A British police commander is thrust into a murder case in a mysterious old chateau with a houseful of struggling artists.
Cynthia
I liked the first couple books in this series but this one felt really slow and dithery to me. There was too much description of too many uninteresting things, and I felt my life slipping away as I was reading it.
Joanne
I enjoy this series. I'd actually give this a 3.5. I liked the earlier books a bit better - India added an air of mystery that is more interesting than the English/French stuff. And, still a good series.
Sheri
Listened to this on audio. Started slowly, but then improved. A who-dunnit in a French chateau among some arty-types. And a policeman thrown in. Ok, but not brilliant. It dragged in places.
Catherine Woodman
I think I was too disoriented for too long to really get into the book--Sandiland is a great voice--smart, thinks well on his feet, and the characters are well described. Maybe next time...
Catherine Woodman
  • The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3)
  • Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II, #5)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • The Cloud Pavilion (Sano Ichiro, #14)
  • Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter, #4)
  • In this Rain
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • Rebellion (Matthew Hawkwood, #4)
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • Budapest Noir: A Novel
  • A Death in the Venetian Quarter (Fools' Guild, #3)
  • The Mask of Night (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #4)
  • City of Silver: A Mystery
Barbara Cleverly was born in the north of England and is a graduate of Durham University. A former teacher, she has spent her working life in Cambridgeshire and Suffolk; she now lives in Cambridge. She has one son and five step-children.

Her Joe Sandilands series of books set against the background of the British Raj was inspired by the contents of a battered old tin trunk that she found in her att
More about Barbara Cleverly...

Joe Sandilands (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1)
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2)
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • The Palace Tiger (Joe Sandilands, #4)
  • The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands, #5)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Folly Du Jour (Joe Sandilands, #7)
  • The Blood Royal
  • Not My Blood
  • A Spider in the Cup (Joe Sandilands #11)
The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1) Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2) The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3) The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1) The Palace Tiger (Joe Sandilands, #4)