A Darker God (Laetitia Talbot, #3)

A Darker God (Laetitia Talbot #3)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Award-winning author Barbara Cleverly returns with this spellbinding new mystery featuring aspiring archaeologist Laetitia Talbot. In Athens in 1928, Letty begins a perilous race to unearth a plot steeped in betrayal, seething with retribution, and about to explode in a wave of lethal violence.

In the open-air theatre of the dark god Dionysos, Letty watches a performance of...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Darker God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darker God

Chance Maree

Light read. Light on suspense. Light on history. Light on archeology. The Laetitia Talbot protagonist was a fun feminist character with a mix of old-world decorum and progressive thought.

This was a book from a local library sale. I'm enjoying excursions into genres and authors that I would normally not pick up. The historical lessons were interesting, but I would have enjoyed more or them, and to a greater depth.
Linda McLaughlin
In this third outing set in 1928 Athens, Letty's mentor, Sir Andrew Merriman, is killed at the dress rehearsal of a Greek tragedy he is directing about the murder of King Agamemnon by his vengeful wife Clytemnestra. As more facts come to light, the parallels between ancient and modern become eerie. Personal vendettas and politics entwine in nefarious plots, and Letty's life is endangered. I found the political aspects interesting, as I'm not familiar with this period of Greek history. I love thi...more
Lynn Calvin
Interesting mystery set in 1920s in Greece with lots of classical references thrown in. Great illumination of issues around class and political issues for Britons of the period. Distinctly British sensibility around the storyline, but also very understanding and respectful of Greek culture and politics of the period and manages to be non-Anglocentric about it.

Somehow though, while I find the book and the characters interesting I don't care about them as much as I would like.

I'll certainly keep...more
Ali
I don't like this series nearly as well as I like Cleverly's Inspector Sandilands books, but it probably rates worse in comparison than it would if I didn't like the other series so well.

Letty Talbot has a bit of a Jessica Fletcher thing going on -- people tend to die when she's around. I tend to like mystery series with a more unexpected protagonist (i.e. not a detective, policeman, journalist, etc.) a bit less, because I find them less plausible.

On top of that, the Letty Talbot books always ta...more
Janice Liedl
Laetitia and William wind up back in Athens and embroiled in yet another murder investigation. This one strikes close to home as it revolves around her erstwhile mentor and classical archaeologist, Andrew Merriman. There's a wealth of classical and contemporary shenanigans involved in this perilous investigation with some intriguing new characters, particularly Thetis, an actress who's very sympatico with Laetitia.

Parts of the mystery that were supposed to liven then end were painfully obvious f...more
Debbie Maskus
This is the third in the Laetitia Talbot series about a young archaeologist set during the late 1920's. In this adventure, Letty and William Gunning are in Greece for the opening of a play directed by Letty's ex-lover, Andrew Merriman. Before the story gets underway, Andrew Merriman is murdered during dress rehearsal, and his wife, Maude falls to her death that same day. The driving force of the the story is an act named The Population exchange between Greece and Turkey of 1923, which is an actu...more
I love Cleverly's "Joe Sandilands" series, but I'm just fond of the Laetitia Talbot one, and this one is about par for the course. Cleverly uses interesting historical detail without bludgeoning the reader - this one is set in 1920s Greece, with tidbits of WWI and the Treaty of Versailles still overshadowing the players. Of course, ancient Greece also makes an appearance, and parts of Agamemnon are integral to the plot.
While I'm always happy to see Laetitia and Gunning, I definitely had a soft...more
Susan
Laetitia Talbot and her faithful Gunning are taking a break from their archaeological dig in Athens, where they become involved in a production of the classic tragedy Agamemnon. A sudden death, and suspicion falls on a young Englishwoman whom Letty has befriended. Moreover, Letty is left a legacy with a strange past and an even stranger potential future. Danger and problems abound, as more bodies turn up, and Letty realizes the roots of the crime are in the past.
Susan McDuffie
I enjoy the archaeological premise of this series and Laetitia Talbot is an interesting woman of this era. I confess that the different voices of the characters don't always come through in the dialogue for me; although the dialogue has a nice breezy pace all the characters tend to sound the same to me. However I'll look forward to Laetitia's next adventure--the archaeology will pull me in!
Cheryl
Oh dear ... what a disappointing yawn. This latest installment of the usually fun & historically interesting Laetitia Talbot series just plodded and plodded and plodded along... about the only thing worthwhile for me was the information on the population exchange between Turkey and Greece which I previously knew nothing about. Now that seems like a worthwhile read!
Jenna
An enjoyable read; always good to have more of Letty and Gunning. I wished there had been more for Letty's friend (Esme?) in the opening chapter, but maybe she'll show up again. Definitely already set up for the next book, which of course, makes me look forward to that one. Enjoyed the theatrical references to the production of Greek tragedy in site.
Mary Newcomb
I found this book when looking for a tale set in Greece. This is a murder mystery involving a play with Alexander, Agamemnon and Clytemnestra set in 1928 Athens. Interesting though convoluted tale of Greek history, passion and archeology. I plan to read more in this series.

Harvee
Rated this 4.5. Loved the repeat of the ancient Greek tragedy of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra in Athens in 1928. Archaeological and historical mystery. My full review
Jodi
As a mystery novel, this was okay... but as historical fiction, set in Athens in 1928 - with elements of politics (the so-called "Population Exchange") in a place and time I wasn't too familiar with, this was an absorbng and educational read.
Madonna
I may need to go back and reread the first book in this series since I liked this book more than the first one. I think it took me awhile to like Laetitia, and I'd like to review the first book now. Good read.
Donna Herrick
I loved the echoes between the story, the mythology, and the performance. I wish that either we would have had morecdigging, oor more politics of the ethnic cleansing.
Edith
Clever mystery set in modern Greece, but with echoes of the ancient past. I liked the story a lot, but did not really like Laetitia Talbot.
Angie
A little bit more convoluted than the previous mysteries, but still delightful. Couldn't guess the killer to save my life!
K.B. Hallman
An enjoyable, reasonably paced mystery. The author makes excellent use of red herrings.
Shari
Not much of a mystery fan, I was a bit skeptical. But, I'm having fun reading this book.
Tom
Ms Cleverly's 2 series just get better and better.
Heidi
very enjoyable series....more please!
Sabin
Laurie
Laurie added it
Jul 27, 2014
Kriti Mishra
Kriti Mishra marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Terri
Terri added it
Jul 16, 2014
Barbara Cleverly was born in the north of England and is a graduate of Durham University. A former teacher, she has spent her working life in Cambridgeshire and Suffolk; she now lives in Cambridge. She has one son and five step-children.

Her Joe Sandilands series of books set against the background of the British Raj was inspired by the contents of a battered old tin trunk that she found in her att...more
More about Barbara Cleverly...
The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1) Ragtime in Simla The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3) The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1) The Palace Tiger (Joe Sandilands, #4)