Start by marking “Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6)” as Want to Read:
Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6)

Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed #6)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  20,256 Ratings  ·  731 Reviews
Hardcover edition of Lara Adrian's vampire series Ashes of Midnight. A woman driven by blood. A man thristing for vengeance. A place where darkness and desire meet...
Published May 26th 2009 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Ashes of Midnight, please sign up.

Monica A code? (The prior answer on the question) Oh my gosh.... I love this author, but have to agree with the character assessment of the original…moreA code? (The prior answer on the question) Oh my gosh.... I love this author, but have to agree with the character assessment of the original question.(less)

Beanbag Love
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Well, I must say I was very pleasantly surprised with Ashes of Midnight. Because I have had a crush on Andreas for a while, I've been looking forward to this book, although this seems to be a least favorite of a lot of fans of this series. Veil of Midnight ended with things in an abysmal place for Andreas. His whole family was wiped out through an act of his enemy, Wilhelm Roth, who is highly placed in the Enforcement Agency. This book begins in medias res of Andreas' brutal quest for vengeance. ...more
Shawna
4 -5 stars – Vampire Romance

I really enjoyed this sixth installment in Lara Adrian’s awesome Midnight Breed series, but found myself feeling a little confused at first because it’s been a while since I’ve read the previous books and there is an ongoing story arc that’s central to the story.

For those of you who haven’t yet read this series, there are similarities often drawn with J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood and Ward herself gives an author endorsement, but Adrian’s take on the origins an
Jilly
I admit that it is a little tough for paranormal romance authors to get a convincing romance in there while still having to build the world, have a mystery to solve, keep up with the doings of the thousand-member cast, and make sure to let us know what the bad guys are up to.... all within less than 300 pages. Tough gig!

It helps if you keep a list and check off the items as you do them.

Needless to say, the romances suffer a bit and there has to be a little insta-love. And, that was my big frustr
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 DarienMoya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
^^ BURN BABY BURN!^^

Another wonderful instalment in the Breed series, and I don’t know, I am liking them way better now. I find it that the series is starting to shine on its own now. The similarities to other vampire books is becoming less and less, and the action more spine tingling. I am talking hairless brooding vamps, with sex appeal that can warm the coldest winter. Plus the friendships are deeper, and the love oh so much stronger.

Andreas Reichen, he was a constant character through previ
Rossy
Aug 28, 2009 Rossy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the story but even after reading it a second time i still don't like Claire. Her logic just doesn't add up to someone who claims to love a person so fiercely. The fact that it took her so long to realize for sure who was the real villain just made me want to slap her a bit.

*sigh* I think i need to go back to reading another genre for a while.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Sep 21, 2010 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance fans and girls who love a tortured hero
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 01, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Hmmm. "Ashes of Midnight" is book six in Lara Adrian's 'Midnight Breed' series. I have to say that it wasn't my favorite. I also have to say that it follows very well on the heels of book five, "Veil of Midnight", since events here pick up where it left off. This series is about Adrian's version of vampires (there's good ones and bad ones) and the good guys' fight to save humanity.

Claire never knew she was special--until Wilhelm Roth saved her from an attack and through him, she met the love of
Holly
When last we heard about Andreas Reichen, he had unleashed a fireball on his decimated home and disappeared. In Ashes of Midnight he makes his comeback in a BIG way. By the first chapter, Lara Adrian lets us know that the once carefree rogue is gone, and in his place is a merciless killer intent on revenge. He is determined to exact his fiery brand of justice on anyone who aligned themselves with the Darkhaven leader, Wilhelm Roth, and while lost within the destructive force of his pyrokinesis h ...more
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 Zeek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-pnr, pnr
Okay I'm not sure why this entry into Adrian's Midnight Breeds series got such bad press- I think this one is one of my favorites!

AOM not only had the typical thrilling suspense we've come to expect in Adrian's popular pnr series, but also some uber romantic elements, I find myself helpless to resist.

Not only linked by the fact they are tied to a race of Alien progeny, Andreas Reichen and Claire Roth have a history together. Long ago they fell in love, only to be parted by unforeseen circumstanc
AJ
Another winner from the Midnight Breed!

Book 6 in the series picks up three months after the tragic events at the last book, and Andreas Reichen is on a mission of vengeance to kill Wilhelm Roth, the man who cost him everything. His fury has reawakened a monstrous power in him that he is unleashing on anything and everything in his way, and he is a man possessed! To make matters more interesting, suddenly thrust into the picture is Claire, the only woman he has ever loved. Together for only a few
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`

This book is on FIREEEE!!!!!!

5 Stars for my beloved Andreas!

I'd like to quote P!NK instead of writing a review!

Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame,
Where there is a flame someone's bound to get burned,
But just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die,
You've gotta get up and try try try.......

Buggy
This is book six in Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series and I couldn`t put it down. Following events set up in the last book VEIL OF MIDNIGHT this instalment just takes off, with it's exciting and suspense filled storyline. There is plenty of angst filled romance here too and several ongoing subplots and POV's which all manage to come together for one explosive ending. Fans of the series will be thrilled as we get to revisit past members of the `Order' and their `Breedmates' who all have signifi ...more
Kathrynn
Ashes of Midnight is the sixth in the Midnight Breed series and the books should be read in order because they continue solving a problem while each installment has a different hero/heroine. There are also brief updates on previous characters in later books.

The series has come a (very) long way since the first saga was told. Now the plot to get rid of the really bad guy (Dragos), hunt the Ancient, kill the Gen Ones (bad ones) and restore order to the vampire community is what keeps the series m
Barbara
3 stars...

I had a hard time remembering the history of the characters in this series (and considering I've read them all at some point isn't good) so I had to rate this as a stand alone novel.

The problem with this series and others like it is that they all kind of run together, especially if you read them from the beginning and have to wait for each new release in the series. There were times when reading Ashes that it mirrored Ward's "Blackdagger" series so much that I actually had to stop and
Jen
I was rather looking forward to Reichen's story after Veil of Midnight but the plot's become more absurd, with pyrokinesis (now that's an awesome concept) as the one dividing factor in uniting two lovers together ... The good things about it though were the numerous locations for the setting (although Berlin could have been more ... detailed?) and in particular, the conflict and tension between Reichen, Clare and her Breedmate, Roth. The former two of whom unabashedly have a passionate affair, w ...more
 B.E.Love
Sep 27, 2011 B.E.Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**re-read**
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~

First read March 2009 - rating: 3 stars
Re-read March 2013 - rating: 3 stars

Not my favorite book of the series - then or now. It bothers me when a series starts out focusing on a core group of characters and then all of a sudden it goes off the rails by giving a secondary character their own book. I really liked Andreas Reichen in previous books but he and Claire's story, while littered with sweet and tender moments, never really resonated with me because they are only loosely tied to the Order
Sophia Triad
Breed Warrior Andreas
Special ability: Pyrokinesis, setting himself on fire like a human torch
Age: Around 300 years old

Breedmate Claire
Special ability: Walking in the dreams of people
Occupation: Musician, Composer
Mark place: Right side of neck

Settings: Germany (Hamburg, countryside), Denmark, USA (Boston, Newport Rhodes island, Connecticut)

I had a small crash with Andreas at Tegan's book. He was the movie star handsome bad boy. I was looking forward to reading his story. I also liked Hel
Filipa
Sofia Teixeira
Jan 16, 2013 Sofia Teixeira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ao ler uma saga com mais de três quatro livros, sou da opinião que existem alguns factores de exigência por parte do leitor para que este continue fiel à mesma. Tais factores passam pela capacidade do autor surpreender o leitor, manter uma boa dose de acção e imprevisibilidade e, no caso de séries como a Raça da Noite, ser versátil nas histórias de amor que apresenta. Em Cinzas da Meia-Noite temos tudo isso e no fim ainda ficou aquela sensação do "quero mais". Lara Adrian não desilude, pelo cont ...more
Monique
Jul 07, 2010 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all paranormal romance lovers
Shelves: lara-adrian
I finally finished this one and it was good, just as the other novels in the series have been, and the heroine Claire was ok in the beginning, but, got on my nerves by the last few chaps. of the book, as usual with the books in this series...I liked the powers that both Andreas and Claire had....Andreas the pyrokenesis and Claire, the ability to dreamwalk, those were both some pretty cool powers to have...At this point I am wondering if Dragos is ever going to get caught and killed at some point ...more
Cindy
May 29, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
As we know from the end of the last book, every man, woman and child in the hero's Darkhaven has been wiped out. This book is about Andreas' journey of revenge and personal destruction. Along the way he finds Claire his lost love [and wife of William Roth, the man who gave the order for the destruction.:] The h/h and the action move to Boston and the Order uses the heroine's abilities to track down Roth and his ally Dragos [the chief villain that the Order has been pursuing for several books:].

T
Rhonda
Aug 31, 2010 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Andreas, and the continuation of this story. I think his talent is really cool, and I look forward to seeing him in future books helping the Order, now that he has things under control. The reason for the 4 stars is because I had a very hard time connecting with Claire. I spent quite a bit of time not liking her, then she redeemed herself in my view, but I just didn't like her as I do the other Breedmates.
Well....off to Alaska now!!!!!
Mareli
Mar 09, 2015 Mareli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!!!

Usually the heroine is the one making the difference for me. If she is strong and kick-a@@ probably I'll love the story ;) but in this case I'm in love with Andreas Reichen.

What a man, ops, a vampire, I mean! ;)
Andreas Reichen is the only survivor of his family and he's ready to get revenge. We already know who is the responsible but now we know that Andreas Reichen was in love with a girl and now this girl, a woman now, is the wife of his enemy.

Wonderful book, so recommended!
Sammy Loves Books
Book 6 in the Midnight Breed series. I enjoyed the story. Vampire warriors fighting for a cause. There is plenty of action and fighting scenes along with a great love story.
Ramazan TÜLEN
Aug 24, 2016 Ramazan TÜLEN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gece Yarısı serisinin yeni kitaplarını dört gözle bekliyoruz
Elphaba J
Mar 28, 2013 Elphaba J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando sou questionada, por uma amiga ou leitora, a respeito da série Raça da Meia-Noite, tenho por costume nomeá-la como original e sensual, perfeita para quem procure entretenimento dentro dos géneros fantástico e romance.
Sem ser uma especialista nesta matéria, confesso-me culpada por me sentir consecutivamente atraída pelos machos desta Raça alienista, seres repletos de intensidade, perigo e dramas, que juntamente com as suas Companheiras, mulheres quase comuns que criam familiaridade com que
Katie Michaels
Aug 01, 2014 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I am a little surprised that after the events of the last book, Lara Adrian gave us Reichen’s story so soon. In Veil of Midnight, the poor guy had just lost everything. Everyone in his Darkhaven had been slaughtered. His girlfriend was turned into a Minion he had to execute. A romance seemed like it had to be light years away. Obviously not.

As the story begins, Andreas Reichen is on a mission of revenge. He has been systematically killing off every man who had anything to do with
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Steph
Apr 12, 2011 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Book 6 in the Midnight Breed series.
This book starts with Reichen having killed every single person who had a hand in the anhialation of his Darkhaven... bar one. Wilhelm Roth! We imediately see Reichens power, pyrokenisis (One of my favourites, can't resist the flames lol). But so far Reichen appears to have very little power over his gift, and sees it as more of a curse.
Claire is the heroine of this story. She was Reichens lover 30 years ago, but when his power was unleashed for the very
Patrícia
Jan 11, 2013 Patrícia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Gostei bastante deste)

Cinco guerreiros antes dele, deixaram-se levar pelas amarras do amor. Pelo sentimento forte que cresceu em torno de um conforto imprescindível, inviolável, imensurável. Cinco almas destruídas, maltratadas, em sofrimento, que se renderam às evidências, que afastaram as vinganças, que abraçaram as alegrias. Cinco almas que servem de exemplo, que são como irmãos, e que sempre estarão lá, para o boem e para o mal. Agora, chegou a vez de Andreas...

«Cinzas da Meia-Noite» trata-
Mitabird
Jun 24, 2009 Mitabird rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

After finishing Veil of Midnight and thoroughly enjoying it, I was looking forward to reading Ashes of Midnight. However, I thought it was astoundingly bad. It was so bad, that I consider it to be the worst book I've finished so far this year. There was no saving grace to this story at all. Claire had to be dumbest person alive. The things she said and did were absolutely ridiculous. I mean, seriously, her mate had everyone in Andrea's Darkhaven murdered and she couldn't seem to grasp w
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Muito bom!!!

Depois de ter acabado o "O Véu da Meia Noite" estava ansiosa por começar a ler o capítulo destinado ao Andreas. Não estava enganada na minha ansiedade. Mais uma vez não temos grandes momentos dos Guerreiros da Ordem todos juntos, mas a visão que temos do poder de Andreas ofusca tudo o resto.
Depois de ter sido brutalmente atraiçoado pela sua actual namorada humana que vitimou toda a sua família de sangue, no seu Refúgio em Berlim, Andreas só pensa em vingança. É essa vingança que faz
Roos
Oct 12, 2016 Roos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wederom weer een heerlijk deel in de Middernacht-serie. Hoewel ik Claire niet echt fantastisch vond, was Andreas goed! Het verhaal had wat meer verdieping kunnen hebben. Daarentegen zijn de krachten van beide goed uitgewerkt, vooral wat het doet met Andreas op het eind. Door die verrassende cliffhanger wil ik snel doorlezen, op naar deel zeven! Ik vind de covers trouwens echt heel mooi en ze vormen echt een eenheid. Ze zijn veel mooier dan de originele covers!

Voor mijn volledige recensie, zie:
ht
Ronda  Tutt
Aug 13, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Lara Adrian. Andreas Reichen and Claire Roth's past lives and love finally crosses paths again and this time neither one of them are willing to let go. So many things happened in this story that it would be hard to explain in simple terms and not give away the story.

The Midnight Breed Series is great - the books fall in this order:

Kiss of Midnight
Kiss of Crimson (my favorite)
Midnight Awakening
Midnight Rising
Veil of Midnight
Ashes of Midnight

The next book comes out in 2010
KBeautiful1
Aug 30, 2016 KBeautiful1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You ask yourself...If someone killed my entire family...How far would I go for my revenge...And once I have my revenge against my enemies will it soothe the raw ache and hollowness that have now become my identity.

Andreas Reichen has tracked down and killed every traitorous vampire that was apart of killing his family, all except one who he has kept for last to torture him to no end before ending his miserable life. Andreas goes after the one person to draw out Wilhelm Roth and that is Claire Ro
Carolyn F.
May 30, 2010 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Andreas and Claire. He was in a previous book where his whole family was murdered and this book is about what he does next. Claire is his arch-enemies "wife" but also his true love that he let slip through his fingers. Andreas wants her but is afraid of what's happening to him after his family's deaths. I've read these books out of order but it didn't affect how much I enjoyed them. Good book.
Panichaya
I LOVE this book (more like this series LOL)

But I kinda feel bad for Reichen though...'Cause the more I get to read about Hunter...the more I become interested about him...and I kinda read, and read until the parts where Hunter appears...=_='' I am sorry Reichen.
Bookaholics
May 27, 2009 Bookaholics rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Paranormal Romance- May 26th, 2009
4 stars

The thing I like best about Lara Adrian’s Breed Series is that she doesn’t take her readership for granted. Each time I read one of her books I learn something new and exciting. I only wish I knew more…but if she didn’t drag it out it wouldn’t be half as intriguing. In her latest installment, Ashes of Midnight we meet perhaps her most fearsome hero to date.

Riechen is a vampire bent on revenge. The attack and ultimate dest
Ana Luisa
Jan 17, 2013 Ana Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este era um dos livros mais esperados desta serie. Desde que apareceu nesta serie que tive um intenso desejo de conhecer a história de Andreas. Ele era uma personagem que se apresentava envolto em mistérios e que pareciam que nada o conseguia abalar e talvez por isso a minha curiosidade foi amplificada. Com esta livro veio-me à memória o título de uma musica muito conhecida, com certeza que muitos conhecem um dos temas mais famosos de Britney Spears “Oops! I did it again.”, pois é verdade, Lara ...more
LMM
Overall I think this series is solidly 'Good'. It doesn't soar to new heights (& that's mainly b'c she consistently follows the arc of the BDB series) but it also doesn't falter.

In this book (just like BDB book #6: Lover Enshrined) - Adrian follows that outline & moves away from the romance more & gears up the plot line for an impending war.

The concept is also heavily borrowed from BDB (Omega breeding the ultimate warrior in Lash) by Adrian having Dragos make the ultimate Gen One w
Marsha
Meh.
The Midnight Breed series has some great world building, and its the kind of thing you gobble up like chocolate, but this book in the series?
Yawn.
I kept fast forwarding- always a bad sign, because the two central characters were boring.
Andreas 'my family has all been killed, revenge cakes, blah, blah'
Clare 'Im so innocent I missed the fact that my husband is a psychotic @%$hole, blah'
Really.
I spent much of the book doing the literary equivalent of peering over their shoulder. Catching glimps
Tasha
Blurb: As night falls, Claire Roth flees, driven from her home by a fiery threat that seems to come from hell itself. Then, from out of the flames and ash, a vampire warrior emerges. He is Andreas Reichen, her onetime lover, now a stranger consumed by vengeance. Caught in the cross fire, Claire cannot escape his savage fury—or the hunger that plunges her into his world of eternal darkness and unending pleasure.

Nothing will stop Andreas from destroying the vampire responsible for slaughtering his
  • Taken by the Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #3)
  • Darkness Revealed (Guardians of Eternity, #4)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark #7)
  • Damien (Nightwalkers, #4)
  • Evermore (Darkyn #5)
  • Eternal Hearts (A Darkness Within, #2)
  • Secret Life of a Vampire (Love at Stake, #6)
  • Sophia (Vampires in America, #4)
  • Dream Chaser (Dark-Hunter #13, Dream-Hunter #3)
  • Bite Me If You Can (Argeneau #6)
LARA ADRIAN is a New York Times and #1 internationally best-selling author with nearly 4 million books in print and digital worldwide and translations licensed to more than 20 countries. Her books have been named among Amazon’s Top Ten Romances of the Year, and have also been nominated by readers multiple times as finalists for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance of the Year. Reviewers hav ...more
More about Lara Adrian...

Midnight Breed (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1)
  • Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
  • Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)
  • Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed, #8)
  • Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9)
  • Darker After Midnight (Midnight Breed, #10)
  • Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11)

“If you were mine,” he murmured low under his breath, “I would walk through the fires of hell itself to keep you away from a man like me.” 19 likes
“Goddamn you. How can you still make me feel this way after all these years? Damn you for leaving me! And damn you for coming back like this, just when I thought you were gone forever and I might finally be able to forget you.” 11 likes