Start by marking “Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  29,013 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
Eckhart Tolle is rapidly emerging as one of the world’s most inspiring spiritual teachers, sharing the enlightenment he himself experienced after a startling personal transformation. His views go beyond any particular religion, doctrine, or guru. This book extracts the essence from his teachings in The Power of Now, showing us how to free ourselves from “enslavement to the ...more
Published September 25th 2001 by New World Library (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Practicing the Power of Now, please sign up.

Jimmy Imd it has work really well for me. I read this book and felt it's msg and experienced the deep peace of NOW. However the mind was pretty much active and…moreit has work really well for me. I read this book and felt it's msg and experienced the deep peace of NOW. However the mind was pretty much active and had good amount of control over me when I am not consciously practicing. It's only until recently that that the troubles and problems seem to start engulfing me again and triggered me to look within myself for answers. and so I did a speak on the summary of what the mind is about in a public speaking club and joined an discussion group as well. through it, it dawn on me that I was judging everything and everyone the whole time. Or rather, it was my mind which I allowed myself to associate with. With that consciousness within me, I watched myself in almost every waking, catching my mind's activities and just disassociating from the passing thoughts. Through that, my emotional health has improved positively, my relationship with my wife, family members and friends have improved too. I freed myself from the burden of judgment. As a result I am able to accept more and love more. for that I am grateful. (less)

John
Nov 19, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Tolle has a way of giving meaning to life by using exercises, meditations and essential teachings (many based on Eastern philosophies) to bring peace, balance and harmony into our lives. The goal is to be able to bring about and sustain an enlightened state of consciousness in our immediate existence.

I'm particularly attracted to the Budhist, Hindu, and Taoist notion of "no-self", relinquishing the ego so that life's challenges do not impact you, rather you flow through and around them. In my o
Polina
Mar 23, 2009 Polina rated it really liked it
I never managed to complete reading the Power of Now although tried several times. This book was a god send, and even though it still suffers from what seems to be repetition of the same principle on every page, since it is a lot shorter I have read it in a day and feel like I have fully grasped everything that Eckhart was trying to convey in his main book. So if you, like me, find the Power Of Now a difficult read this book will definitely give you all the main ideas in a concise digestible for ...more
Marj
Aug 30, 2011 Marj rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
This book contains many strategies to help us lead a richer, more satisfying life. In many ways it's the work journal or exercise of Tolle's previous work, however it contains many quotable lines which you want to come back to. Here are a couple:

"To be identified with your mind is to be trapped in time: the compulsion to live almost exclusively through memory and anticipation...the past gives you an identity and the future holds the promise of salvation, of fulfillment...Both are illusions." (p.
Niels
Jul 25, 2011 Niels rated it it was amazing
What a gem. So much more easy going than the original. Ought to be read once a month or whenever you need peace of mind. You dont even have to read from one end to the other. The headings allow you to reflect on the areas of your life where you need inner peace. For once repetition actually benefits the reader instead of annoying you.... Highly highly recommended.
Tami
Jun 26, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
Practicing the Power of Now is a handy companion to Eckhart’s wildly popular The Power of Now. Essentially, Practicing the Power of Now contains the same information as in the first book. However, I have to say that I prefer this format. The first book was written in a question answer format. These questions came from the author’s students. He also included amalgamated questions that covered a variety of common queries. These question and answer sessions gradually took the reader from common per ...more
S'hi
Jul 31, 2012 S'hi rated it liked it
Although this is the companion workbook to The Power of Now, which was published in 1997, my familiarity with the material and many of the processes have enabled me to read through it all in a couple of hours. From this point of view I can agree with Tolle’s suggestion in the introduction that it is an Introduction to the grander version in his previous book. However, it is still quite a substantial volume for a beginning of awareness for anyone who has not had any prior experience of this kind ...more
Dawna
Jul 15, 2012 Dawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: metaphysical
It took me quite awhile to finish this book. There was a great deal for me to digest. Even then, I believe this is one that I will have to periodically refer back to in the future.

"The mind identified state is severely dysfunctional. It is a form of insanity.

"Almost everyone is suffering from this illness in varying degrees. The moment you realize this, there can be no more resentment. How can you resent someone's illness. The only appropriate response is compassion."

This is a concept that stoo
Bill Braun
Dec 27, 2013 Bill Braun rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
The three star rating for this book has little to do with its actual content and more a reflection that it turns out to be an unnecessary purchase. It lifts sections of "The Power of Now", often verbatim, and offers nothing new.

If it has some value it saves the reader from paging through "The Power of Now" to find the exercises.
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 07, 2014 Sanjay Gautam rated it liked it
The book is good.
Pamela
Jul 05, 2011 Pamela added it
A friend of mine is completely smitten with Tolle's book The Power of Now, and insisted that I read this smaller book while I was visiting him over the long weekend. Although I found a few things that resonated with me, most of that was of the "stop and smell the roses" type philosophy that I've believed for a long time. Most of the rest of it I found ridiculous - especially that people who act badly are under the influence of their "pain bodies" and therefore not responsible for their actions. ...more
jecca
Oct 03, 2009 jecca rated it really liked it
- rise above thought, give every moment the fullest attention with all senses
- step out of your mind, realize that time and mind are inseparable (focus on the now)
- acknowledge your emotions without judging them, accept suffering
- resistance is experienced as negativity
- surrender to life's flow, realize that cycles of low energy are vital for regeneration
- learn from nature -- "look at the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin," said jesus
- choice implies consciousness (the unconsci
Lynne Tull
Aug 02, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Every once in a while information comes to me just when I need it. Sometimes it is a single word from a stranger, sometimes, a friend. This time is was in the form of a book: The Power of Now . I have to admit that I didn’t understand many of the concepts presented. I have gotten from it what I need for “Now”.

Two things stand out as I think about what I want to tell you about me and The Power of Now.

One: When I say “I am so mad at myself”, who is the “I” and who is the “myself”? Mr. Tolle identi
Samira
Aug 27, 2007 Samira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to feel "this moment"
This book has proven to be one of the greatest Spritual books written in recent times.it contains a power that goes beyond words and definitely leads us to a quiet place beyond our thoughts.sometimes i didn;t get time to read enough of that and I just carried it around with meand I could feel its POWER affecting me even whern I was not reading it.Here are a few lines made some chemistry in me:
"The begening of Freedom is the realization that you are not "the thinker".The moment you start watching
Latiffany
Jan 30, 2013 Latiffany rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I vowed to stay away from self help books, but I could not resist borrowing this slim book from a coworker. I feel like it can really change my mind-if I let it.

The sections that dealt with controlling your mind stood out especially since my mind kept wandering all over the place while trying to read this book. It made me realize just how difficult it is for me to focus. I have been practicing reeling my mind in since reading this book.

The portions on the Ego also made a to
Mel
Jun 23, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I found this book easier to read than the first one (Power of Now) as it's not so intense. I have to secretly admit that this was a joy to read as it's very enlightening (please don't tell anyone, it'll ruin my reputation ;-p).. joking a side, it's very motivational and helps calm the nerves (or if you are anything like me with nervous energy and find it hard to chillax). It also helps you remember to appreciate the little things in life, like the brown autumn leaves that scatters on the ground, ...more
MizzSandie
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book as much as the other Eckhart Tolle books I've read.
It might be because I read it in Danish and so felt a bit disconnected to his voice and the flow just wasn't the same, or it could also be that this book just wasn't as good of course.

Either way, this book summed up some of the main thoughts and served as a good little reminder. It was an enjoyable read, making me more aware and focused on some issues to work on or connect with more in my daily humdrum li
el Amine EL Metioui
قوة الان، قوة اللحظة التي نعيشها الان، هذا الكتاب الذي اكاد اجزم انه من الصعب فهم و ادراك محاوره من خلال قراءة واحدة، لقد كتب تول و شرح لماذا يسيطر علينا الكئابة و الاحزان و لماذا و كيف سمحنا لذلك ان يحصل رغم اننا نشعر بكل شيء، لأننا غير واعيين بما يحصل و اننا صدقنا الاوهام التي هي الماضي و المستقبل و وضعنا كل امالنا فيهما ، و تجاهلنا [الان]، التي هي مفتاح الخلاص و السلام الداخلي و طريق السعادة، و أن العقل قائدنا الى التهلكة و الشعور بالذات الان و عدم التطابق مع العقل يجعلنا و اعيين بما نحن سائر ...more
Dustin
Aug 03, 2011 Dustin rated it really liked it
This is a great book that compliments a Power of Now. If you're interested in growing spiritually and finding more happiness, I highly recommend anything by Eckhart Tolle. Much of his teachings are not new--the main ideas have been presented by countless of people through much of history. However, the way he presents it is fresh and easy to understand for people living a Western lifestyle. I highly recommend reading a New Earth first. Start on chapter 3.
Richard
Dec 01, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
Eckhart Tolle published the Power of Now in 1997. Many inspired readers wrote him and requested a more practical version for daily study. In 2001, this small, but powerful version was released.

Having read most of his writings, I tend to go back to this one and A New Earth quite often.

Truly eye opening and life changing for me.
Lauren
Aug 14, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for everyone to read. It provides the secret to peace. I dig Eckhart Tolle. I meant to choose just THE POWER OF NOW. That's what I meant to review here. I've never read PRACTICING THE POWER OF NOW, but since I'm such a Luddite, I don't know how to change my choice here so forgive my ignorance. Just surrender to the craziness of my now.
Fuschia
Jan 11, 2009 Fuschia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Fuschia by: liz
A much more digestible version than the full Power of Now. I read that one years ago and it just didn't sink in as much. Now, after reading (and loving) A New Earth, this one was a great companion book.
Mason Lawlor
Jul 15, 2012 Mason Lawlor rated it really liked it
I wish someone had told me that this was not new content from Eckhart Tolle, it is basically an abridged version of The Power of Now. So it's obviously very good, but not worth buying if you just barely finished The Power of Now and are looking for more.
Beverly Temporal
Oct 02, 2014 Beverly Temporal rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago but just read it again recently. I love reading calming or uplifting or centering things before bed. And this is one of my favorites.
Tomas Svitorka
Nov 02, 2010 Tomas Svitorka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have to read the book to understand... I read most of the chapters several times... first few times to understand.... and the times afterwards... to enjoy and admire.
Richard
Dec 10, 2010 Richard rated it did not like it
absolute dross given to me by an idiot. should be used to line hamster cages at best
Ruby
Jan 31, 2016 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Having read The Power of Now, I would say that this is definitely the better book.
It was written after the Power of Now and Eckhart Tolle is less rambling and more concise about how to live in the present moment.

Powerful and compelling stuff ... if only I could put it into practice, life would be so much simpler and better.
The Power of Now, is the idea that if remove time from your life, and focus on the now, you are much more likely to be content. If you focus on the present moment at all times
Ci
Sep 21, 2016 Ci rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-books
This is a self-help book with distinct merits of being clear, concise and practical. In terms of theology, there is none, rightfully so because this is a practice guidebook. The basic idea of NOW is the premise of searching a heightened form of living through identification with the "One", timeless, invisible and indestructible essence beyond and within us. A non-theistic spirituality similar to various eastern traditions without explicit allegiance to nature or symbols.

It has practical guidanc
Allison Sparrow
Apr 12, 2015 Allison Sparrow rated it it was amazing
Just finished this as a refresher.

This book allows you to frame situations in a way that will allow you to resolve them in the healthiest of ways. I'm reminded that any resistance I have to the present moment, is my rejection of what already is. By resisting something that happens now, I am either adding more value to the future (something that doesn't exist), or to the past (something that has already occurred). While it's so simple, Tolle is able to communicate in a way that resonates!

I parti
Elyse
Aug 05, 2012 Elyse rated it it was amazing
My husband and I have read all his books ---(started listening and reading him before many knew who he was).

Master Spiritual leader
Kennidy Andeliz
Oct 02, 2014 Kennidy Andeliz rated it it was ok
Shelves: started-reading
Maybe it isnt my time for this book. I really dont have any affinity to the message.. Maybe at some othe time since ive heard it has changed so many lives.
Practicing the power of now 11 58 Dec 30, 2014 02:03PM
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness
  • Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling
  • Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Vol. 2
  • The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life
  • Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings
  • Hands Of Light
  • The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Illuminata: A Return to Prayer
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • Soul Stories
  • The Hidden Messages in Water
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
More about Eckhart Tolle...

“All problems are illusions of the mind.” 217 likes
“The moment that judgement stops through acceptance of what it is, you are free of the mind. You have made room for love, for joy, for peace.” 151 likes