Start by marking “Mom, There's a Dinosaur in Beeson's Lake (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mom, There's a Dinosaur in Beeson's Lake (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #2)

Mom, There's a Dinosaur in Beeson's Lake (Secrets of a Lab Rat #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the all-new hardcover Mom, There’s A Dinosaur in Beeson’s Lake, fourth grader Scab McNally is convinced he glimpsed some kind of swamp creature while fishing on Beeson’s Lake, but his mom won’t let him find proof until he passes a swimming class. Scab is NOT ready for the deep end of the pool, so it’s back to his top-secret lab to diagram some special schemes and plans ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Aladdin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mom, There's a Dinosaur in Beeson's Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom, There's a Dinosaur in Beeson's Lake

Callee
Jun 24, 2012 Callee rated it did not like it
Ok so this was a book on CD that I got for my kids to listen to in the car. I thought that my 4 year old (who is obsessed with dinosaurs) would love it. Wrong. This story is about a 10 year old boy that hates swimming and likes to go fishing with his friends on Saturdays. They think it's so funny to talk about farting and stuff like that - lame! Oh, yeah and the part about the dinosaur? I think that it mentioned a dinosaur in a chapter in the middle and in the last chapter. Double lame! It's mor ...more
Kristen
This is a fun, kid-friendly story about facing your fears - but with lots of hilarious avoidance tactics employed by the main character, Scab (who is afraid of deep water). Some math and science facts are sprinkled in, and Scab considers himself an inventor, which will go over well with the Big Hero 6 crowd. Recommended for kids who like Phineas L. Macguire by Dowell.
Jnase1
Apr 21, 2015 Jnase1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hard to follow the storyline...maybe it was all the extra text features that Scab uses to share "facts" within the story that confused me. SKids may not realize that some of the "facts" are not true. That bothered me. But early elementary kids would probably enjoy the boy humor that has been in all 3 books. For me, it was just "eh".
Lynn
Oct 05, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it
Scab, funny and impulsive, likes to share his lists and knowledge of this and that of life! The story takes a few side trips, which fits perfectly with Scab's personality. Fun ending satisfies. Cartoonish B & W line drawings will attract readers.
Sandra Stiles
This was a cute book. Scab is dying to go on a fishing trip with his uncle over the summer. His parents insist he take a swim class. The problem is he will be required to swim in the deep end of the pool. This is something that absolutely terrifies him. Deep water, diving, enchiladas are just a few things on his list of things he is afraid of. When he and his friends go fishing, and the big one snaps his pole, he is sure he has seen a dinosaur in the Lake. When his friends see the same thing the ...more
William
Jun 29, 2014 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Amusing story with a cute ending.
Mar 03, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Silver Knight, 2012 (grade 3 list)
When the main conflict is getting up the courage to swim in the deep end of the pool, it's hard to imagine there will be enough action to pull us through the plot. However, in this transitional reader, there are plenty of funny scenes, text boxes with quirky third grade observations about life, and a main character with lots of spunk. It adds up to a fun read although the title is misleading...the dinosaur is not a big part of things.
Megan Hansen
Apr 27, 2010 Megan Hansen rated it it was amazing
This was a very adorable, fun read. It’s perfect for reading aloud to a child because they have a lot to keep them occupied, like the cute illustrations and the even more adorable “Scab Tips.” Trueit sneaks in some actual teaching through out the book that’s so incognito your kid won’t know their learning while they get engrossed in Scab’s adventure. Five stars for the wonderful layout, awesome story and great illustrations.
Uflchildrens
Oct 13, 2010 Uflchildrens rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining of a boy who often gets into trouble and who thinks that he nearly hooks a dinosaur while out fishing with his dog and two friends. I think this book would appeal mostly to boys who appreciate an occasional fart joke. On the borderline between first chapter books and older kid books. --Rachel V.
J/Trueit
Matt
Apr 19, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
It was a good book for new readers and I think young boys would relate very well to the main character. However, it did not have a complete finish to the storyline. Maybe a new reader would miss that or maybe it will be tackled in the next book of the series. I guess I will have to read on. THis book was recieved through first reads.
Meghan Nels
Aug 06, 2013 Meghan Nels rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very funny! Scab always seems to have ridiculous ideas and always gets caught. His perfect twin sister helps his ideas to seem even more far-fetched and humorous. I think students in grades 2 & 3 will enjoy reading this shorter chapter book.
Rachel
Oct 13, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: older-childrens
This was a mildly entertaining of a boy who often gets into trouble and who thinks that he nearly hooks a dinosaur while out fishing with his dog and two friends. I think this book would appeal mostly to boys who appreciate an occasional fart joke.
Joenna
Mar 29, 2010 Joenna rated it it was amazing
When ten-year-old "Scab" McNally takes swimming lessons, he is afraid he will be forced to reveal his secret fear of deep water.

I absolutely love this series! I am seriously laughing out loud when I read these.
Mary
May 08, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, realistic
3rd-4th grades Fourth grade inventor Scag McNally is in deep water (whixh by the way, happens to be the one thing he is deathly afraid of).
Ishaan Saha
Jul 12, 2013 Ishaan Saha rated it it was amazing
This book is very awesome and I Can't wait to get the next book.
Misty
Nov 21, 2010 Misty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-boys
we're reading the print version of this book. really cute so far.
Jan 27, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
excellent middle grade boy book
Kaulin
Apr 15, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Sarka
Sarka rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Marni
Marni added it
Jan 27, 2016
Ankine
Ankine rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 19, 2016
Gülay Cansever
Gülay Cansever rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Romeokids
Romeokids marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
C
C rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ever since writing and directing her first play in the fourth grade, Trudi Trueit has loved storytelling. In her career, she's been a TV news reporter, PR specialist, freelance writer, and now, children's author. She's published nearly 100 fiction and nonfiction titles for kids, from pre-k through teen. Her fiction titles include The Sister Solution (Aladdin M!X), Stealing Popular (Aladdin M!X) an ...more
More about Trudi Trueit...

Secrets of a Lab Rat (3 books)
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • Scab for Treasurer? (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #3)