Stones of Fire

Stones of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  31 reviews
800 years ago a Crusader in the Holy Land discovered a gold box. Under a veil of secrecy it was transported to England and hidden, the clues to its whereabouts embedded in 16 cryptic lines of verse. For centuries it has been rumoured the treasure was none other than the Ark of the Covenant. Now there's a need to find out the truth.
Published July 1st 2009 by Michael Joseph (first published 2009)

Bridget
Edie has just witnessed a murder and a theft that could change the face of history. The item stolen was the breastplate that Moses wore to protect himself from the Ark of the Covenant. Edie has no idea who she can turn to. Unable to trust anyone but a historian named Caedmon, together they embark on a journey unlike anything they have experienced before. Running for their lives while playing detective searching for the truth, they find inner strength that will change them for the better.

This was...more
Suspense Magazine
A combination of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” meets The “Da Vinci Code”. “Ark of Fire” has all the action of a great thriller and an insightful look into one of the most talked about religious artifacts known to mankind. The action starts right from the beginning and doesn’t stop until the dramatic ending. All the while, the reader is never sure how our heroes will make it through. A definite must read for the holiday season.

www.suspensemagazine.com
Amanda
I definitely enjoyed this book though the character Edie did bother me at times (a bit whiny and a bit annoying). I rather did like the character Caedmon. There were some unrealistic points and some things that were just glossed over and could have used more description. Still, I look forward to seeing how the characters evolve as the ending led me to believe there will be a next installment.
Nikky Affolder-walker
Apparently the review I wrote from my phone didn't post.

The book wasn't terrible, but because of certain aspects I almost didn't finish it and probably wouldn't bother to read it again. It had suspense aplenty, but some of the characters were downright abhorrent. Granted there has to be a villain, and often they do not have many redeeming qualities, but the Warrior of God characters went a little over the top, especially in regards to Boyd Braxton, the right hand man of the main bad guy. One of...more
Matt
Initial impression: There is an Ark on the cover!!! Freakin' Sweet! I'm reading this book!

What I learned from this book: All American military men murder their families and hate everybody who is not a religious zealot. But wait! There's more! I also learned that Evangelical Christians are more passionate about the prophecies of Ezekiel then Jesus. Who knew? Not me!
This book has a likable main character named Caedmon Aisquith who is an ex-scholar turned MI-5 operative. After he loses the love...more
Josh
May 18, 2011 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
I picked up this book because I was highly intrigued that it had been written by a woman. Generally, the thriller/action adventure/relic hunt has been the purview of men, clearly in evidence by the fact that the jacket cover has the author's initials instead of her full name. The publisher did not want to scare off male readers. I was highly curious to see how a woman author would do with this type of material. And I have to say C.M. Palov did a great job. There's plenty of action, mystery, thri...more
Marsha
When a photographer and a historian go on the run from some religious fanatics, it’s a race to stop the ultimate doomsday weapon from being unleashed in a holy temple.

This is a ripping, gripping, scary roller coaster ride of a thriller. It has everything the mystery lover could want: murder, conspiracy, stolen goods, beautiful women, stalwart men, cruel villains, gunplay, religious mania and an impending world war. The characters are more than the sum of their convictions; we get the background...more
Vickie
I have had the book on the shelf for the longest time and finally decided that I needed to read some more thrillers and suspense since Spa Week is coming up and I need a stack of thrillers and suspense to take to my dad and sister. I've been heavy into the cozies/amateur sleuth and paranormal and my fam isn't into those as much as I. I like having something to bring out. Reached into the back of the third drawer of chest of drawers one of Mt Git'r'Read and found ARK OF FIRE. And so very glad I w...more
Paula Howard
C.M. Palov has done wonderful research in writing Ark of Fire. Stanford MacFarlane is the head of a group called the Warriors of God. He is focus on the End of Time found in the Book of Ezekiel. Getting in his way is Caedmon, an academic and author, and Edie a photographer. Edit witness a murder ordered by MaacFarlane and Caedmon, who once worked with M16 in Britain get involved.

MacFarlane is intent on "doing the will of God" by searching for the Ark of the Covenant stolen from the Temple of So...more
Amy Vito
Wonderful book! It was described on the back book as "Part Dan Brown, part Indiana Jones, and part James Bond." Big fan of all three, I was excited to read the book. Being about the Ark of the Covenant, as you can deduce by the cover, Ark of Fire is extremely action packed and exciting. I had a very hard time putting it down. It was also fun to read about the relationship between Edie and Caedmon. The only reason I gave it 4 stars out of 5 was because of the long, sometimes ambling, historical l...more
Stephen
Although this book will never attain the popularity of The Davinci Code, in many ways it is more interesting. Our heroes are not mere quislings pushed into action by circumstance, they actually have guts and knowledge and are able to mix it up with the bad guys rather than ducking and running every 8 minutes. The female lead has a brain as well as the willingness to fight even when she is outmatched in skill and size.

Oh yeah, there's this whole race for the Ark of the Covenant thing too that re...more
April
I was surprised to learn the author was female given some of the language used in the book. I realize that some of the main characters are military men. That does not excuse terrible language. I almost didn't continue reading past the first 100 pages because of the language.
The story has merit and was interesting. Once Boyd Braxton wasn't talking as much, the language improved and I could actually enjoy the plot line.
It was interesting to learn some of the history and conjecture that surround t...more
Melissa
I liked the pairing of the main characters. I detested the minor characters (like I was supposed to.) Some plot details I could have done without. Some language I could have done without but I guess that is what comes with the characters. I liked the movement, it kept me reading. I have her other books in the series. I am more interested in the Knights Templar so I hope the other books have more reference to them than this one did.
Theresa Hollis
My copy is entitled 'Stones of Fire' published 2010 so I am guessing that the title was changed after first published in 2009

This is a story about the hunt for the Ark of the Covenant, if you liked The DaVinci Code you will like this. A brutal murder in Washington and the theft of an ancient relic - a sinister army of mercenaries after the Ark who want to wage war on a devastating scale, and two people determined to stop them. A great read.
Kat McKay
I just couldn't get through this because I found the main character so annoying that I didn't want to read any further. She had too much annoying "'tude". And the interest of the sophisticated worldly male character in her had my eyes rolling at it's unlikeliness.
The author is a good writer (structure-wise), but she needs to work on her characters more.
Judith
It's hard to read books like this and not compare them to other characters like Indiana Jones and Robert Langdon...but I did enjoy Caedmon Aisquith. Edie seems a bit of a bubblehead at times but hey, there is only one Lara Croft. I did enjoy the fast pace, espionage and suspenseful moments in the story and will read the next book for sure.
Cherie
This is C.M. Palov's first novel and is an attempt to write a book similar to those of Dan Brown or James Rollins. In my opinion, she was not very successful. There are so many of these copycat stories out there; I wish I'd found a better one to read. Still I liked it enough to finish it.
Annette Gisby
Good fast paced thriller if you like the religious conspircay genre, which I do :) The main characters were well drawn but some of the baddies were a bit two-dimensional. I'd certainly read other books by this author.
Craig Leimkuehler
This story has been told before more or less and the characters are nothing new either. I wouldn't go out of my way to read this book but it is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Jose Esquibel
Fast paced, intriguing plot. Plenty of twists and turns. Very good read! Liked it so much that I immediately found a copy of the follow-up novel, The Templar's Code and devoured it.
وسام الدين محمد
One of the worst novel that I had red forever. Very complicated language and vocabulary. The lead characters have many chances to finish the hunt but the author wanna stretch the novel.
Mister Queue
The plot wasn't very believable, the characters stereotyped, and made like a Hollywood film: yet another story of two gorgeous heroes defeating the very bad villains.
Ratforce
This selection is a page-turning thriller centered on the Ark of the Covenant. As a fan of stories focused on the Ark, you may want to give this one a try.
John Hanscom
This was an exciting adventure story, far better than "The Di VInci Code," but, as with the latter, it had historical inaccuracies which drove me nuts.
Rachel
In a similar vein as Da Vinci code and its ilk, only less hateful of religion. The author does clearly despise fanatics, but don't we all?
SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer)
I may post a review at sporadicreviews.com soon. If not a review, I'll at least mention in a Recent Reads post.
Libby
Pretty much ok rerun of same old story different characters.
Chris Elston
I enjoyed this a lot - good book, left wide open for a sequel too :)
Patricia
predictable plot with lots of typographicals
worth what i paid- $1
Kim
Very good book - hope there is another one.
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Sacred Bones
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Tenth Chamber
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • Michelangelo's Notebook (Finn Ryan, #1)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • Pyramid
  • The Last Ember
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2) The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3) The Templar's Secret (Caedmon Aisquith #4) The Templar's Quest