Start by marking “Ricky” as Want to Read:
Ricky

Ricky

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
'If there is a better written, less pretentious book by an actor, then I have yet to read it. Undoubtedly the showbusiness book of the year' INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY
Famous as the lovable couch potato Jim Royle of The Royle Family, Ricky Tomlinson has entertained millions without ever leaving his armchair. Now, in his long-awaited autobiography, he surprises yet again with a
Published May 6th 2004 by Sphere (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ricky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ricky

Paul
Nov 04, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
For those of you reading this who aren't British, first I'm surprised you are, and secondly, you probably won't know who Ricky Tomlinson is.

Ricky Tomlinson is a quintessentially British actor, born & bred. By that, I certainly do not mean he's in the Roger Moore, Alec Guinness or Daniel Craig career actor mould. Acting is certainly something which Ricky almost fell into but with which he has made himself best known to his many fans.

Without delving too far into the book, what a lot of people
BookMarc
Jan 09, 2011 BookMarc rated it really liked it
There are very few characters in the world like Ricky Tomlinson. A larger than life comedic actor, who has also breached the music charts, he has come from humble beginnings and retains his working class values, even now, when he could quite easily have turned his back on his working class upbringing as so many other stars have done.
If you live in America then odds are you have never even heard of Ricky Tomlinson whereas across the pond in the UK he is a household name who is probably most famou
Mark
Aug 11, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiographies, 2010
It was such a refreshing change to read someone being brutally honest rather than the sugar coating that so many peoples memoirs have. I picked this book up ages ago and having just re-watched all 3 series of the Royale Family I thought I'd give this a go. I expected it to be filled with humour (like Peter Kays autobiographies) but instead Ricky was completely open and honest about the hard life he's had both before and after he found fame. He must have an enormously strong character to be as fu ...more
Mark Farley
Jul 31, 2013 Mark Farley rated it liked it
I love Ricky Tomlinson. I was never a Brookside fan. I watched it a few times and it always seemed so violent and was a just people arguing. I got enough of that at home. But The Royle Family is pure genius. I just love it, it's warm, its endearing. It's funny, its sad. It's perfect and every line is just wonderful. From the very first page, you can tell instantly how different a book this is to the other celebrity books I’ve read. Why shouldn't it be? you ask. Well, because I took this one on a ...more
Joe Finegan
Dec 19, 2014 Joe Finegan rated it it was ok
Got very political, something I've no interest in. Felt sorry for him, despite Ricky bringing on everything himself. He's had a tough life, mostly self-imposed, but his talent won out in the end.
Kayleigh Tyrer
Mar 01, 2014 Kayleigh Tyrer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Absolutely loved this biography would read it again and again! Ricky Tomlinson so honest, true and down to earth! A must read
Louise
Dec 19, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it
I expected this to be boring, however I don't think I have ever been this wrong in all my life. Ricky actually writes a quite exquisite autobiography filled with honesty. His account of his time in prison is especially an amazing and emotional read- I couldn't put the chapters about that down.

Of course just like all autobiographies it is slightly biased, but no one is going to admit everything is their fault, are they? Besides, the tale of his trip to where he is now is inspiring and definitely
Matt
Dec 22, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book from start to finish!
Ricky is so humble and has never forgotten where he came from! Fame has not altered him!
This is a warts and all book which is brutally honest even down to admitting his affairs and mistakes! He has done so much for so many and is also a natural comedian!
This is a must read for any fan or for those that want to know the truth about the pickets he was jailed for! You will truly get to know him in parts you may dislike him but he always wins you round!
Kirsty
Feb 18, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. He's lead a pretty interesting (and varied!) life, and this makes great reading... His usually humour is in there, making me laugh out loud at times. He comes across as being really down to earth, whilst having the conviction to fight for what he believes in. Some of the stories are priceless, and he's very honest about his affairs among other things. This really is a warts and all autobiography...
Pete Hardy
Apr 21, 2013 Pete Hardy rated it really liked it
I am sometimes wary of reading autobiographies of people I admire as they do not always come out well. Norman Wisdom and Lee Evans is a case in point (although the Lee Evans one was more due to an appaling writing style). Ricky is honest (up to a point one suspects) but doesn't try to paint himself as a genius and while the reading was light it was entertaining. Good luck to him.
Joe Stamber
Mar 20, 2011 Joe Stamber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2000s
I received this as a Christmas present. I was already aware of RT's involvement with trade unions, and this was probably the most interesting part of the book (for me). It's an easy read and an enjoyable account of RT's life.
Dignan107
Oct 30, 2010 Dignan107 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems a very honest, open account of his life story. Has certainly lived a varied, eventful life with many downs as well as ups. I don't read many autobiographies, however I'm glad to have read this one.
Katie Grainger
Aug 04, 2011 Katie Grainger rated it liked it
I found reading about Ricky's life strangely addictive and had a hard time putting it down. The book was well written and brutally honest. A really good read.
Charlie
May 22, 2010 Charlie rated it really liked it
I think it was pretty brave of Ricky Tomlinson to write this because it really is the ultimate warts and all autobiograph. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.
Neil
Oct 13, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
A heart warming, moving & joyful bio and a catalyst to me reading The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, one of my top 5 reads. For that alone I thank you Ricky.
Amanda
Oct 19, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Ricky Tomlinson is such a great person. Unbelievable all of what he did before becoming famous for his television work. He is very witty, so a very good read.
Getvoldsen
Nov 04, 2013 Getvoldsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertains, educates, makes you laugh and frown all in one. Excellent
Sally McRogerson
Jul 30, 2011 Sally McRogerson rated it really liked it
Not only funny, but an activist!
Ian
Mar 27, 2011 Ian rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography, funny
My arse.....'nuff said.
Sophie
Apr 04, 2011 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Great read, I wasn't very interested in reading this, but got it given to me as a xmas present so gave it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would recommend it. Ricky has a very interesting life.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it did not like it
Read by the big lump himself. I would not like to meet him.
Nathan Necrews
Nathan Necrews marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ian Jackson
Ian Jackson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jenny Keeler
Jenny Keeler marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Martin Riggs
Martin Riggs marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Christine O'Hare
Christine O'Hare rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Hilary Windras
Hilary Windras rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
  • Is That It?
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Robbie Williams. Somebody Someday.
  • Gin O'Clock