The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty

The Poor Will Be Glad: Joining the Revolution to Lift the World Out of Poverty

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A compelling call to carry God s mercy and compassion to the hurting people of this world This eminently practical book by two leading experts in the field of poverty reduction offers a clear plan to help ordinary Christians translate their compassion into thoughtful action. Authors Peter Greer and Phil Smith draw on their personal experiences to provide proven solutions f...more
Published October 14th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Poor Will Be Glad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poor Will Be Glad

Travis
The Poor Will be Glad is like a large cauldron filled with ingredients of the faith, compassion, and financial sense. The kingdom of God and in-depth business practices are seldom discussed in one book, but Peter Greer and Phil Smith deliver a relentless tag team attack chapter after chapter addressing: the plight of the poor, sustainable solutions to help the poor, and how we should go about accomplishing these solutions. The concepts and solutions Greer and Smith present to the church for mobi...more
Mark Oppenlander
This book is a nice, easy-to-read introduction to the world of microfinance. The authors are Christians so some of the focus is on the moral or religious reasons for participation in microfinance and also the blending of microfinance work with Christian evangelism. Most of the book however is a practical explanation of what microfinance is and how Christians (or others) can get involved.

I do have concerns around a few of the topics that the authors discuss, such as their seeming endorsement of t...more
Amanda
This book is a great introduction to microfinance as a solution to poverty. The book does have a lot of information, but it's published and distributed by HOPE International (a microfinance organization) and the bias is obvious.
The authors talk about the hardships that come with poverty and poverty alleviation, and then microfinance is presented as THE solution, not just a solution.
Sentences like this made me uncomfortable, "Giving to [microfinance] projects and to the right organizations is th...more
Jeannette
It's a good think this book didn't include "microfinance" in its title or subtitle, or I'd never have picked it up, being a combination of "ho-hum" and frustrated at misuse of wealth when it comes to finance. This book was excellent in explaining the basics of microfinance, some very workable variations (e.g. microinsurance for health or crops), and some best and worst practices. This opened my eyes to a whole new way of supporting my brothers and sisters in third-world countries. Great pictures...more
Pam
Very good book on Micro Finance. This is an area of helping women in Africa that I am very passionate about. I believe that if women are given a chance to own and operate their own business in the developing world, they will use their profits to better the lives of their children and their community. In countries where jobs are scarce micro loans to start or expand a business can lift a family out of poverty.

I have started a small online jewelry business and have dedicated the profits to micro...more
Josh Smetzer
An in-depth look at micro-finance. This book covers a lot of information on the topic of micro-finance, and uses the last 100 pages or so to how we can get involved. I thought the authors did a good job in explaining what micro-finance can and cannot achieve. They also did a good job showing the connection between economic development and christian ministry. The first half of the book can be a little tedious, but is full of good information.
Amy Farley
I can't wait to send this book to my dad for his missions committee but I keep thinking of different people who would like it that I haven't sent it yet. A thoughtful book on revising, or at least revisiting, the current model for missions giving as a way to empower those we are trying to help not create dependency. A call to listen more than just knee jerk give and to be involved long term with those we are helping. Very encouraging!
Beth
A good primer on Micro finance for the American church. I found it a bit dry and not particularly gripping to read. "When Helping Hurts" was far more readable, but not as specifically about MFIs.
Michelle
This book is a really good overview of the ministry of microfinance. It outlines ideas, programs that are working, and some of the pitfalls.
Andrew Wolgemuth
A good and interesting summary of the micro-finance movement and the evangelical Christian "flavor" of the movement in particular.
Chris Leland
This book should be read by anyone ministering in a third world country. Also by those going on short term mission trips.
Shellie G
I did not find this book to be as telling as his first book, A Billion Bootstaps.
Nate
I learned a lot about micro-finance from reading this book.
Brooke
Aug 14, 2009 Brooke marked it as to-read
I went to college with the author. :)
Erdy Rezki
Erdy Rezki marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
George Sink
George Sink marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Rosa Yvette
Rosa Yvette is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Donald
Donald marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Ebookwormy
Ebookwormy marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
The Spiritual Danger of Doing Good Mission Drift: The Unspoken Crisis Facing Leaders, Charities, and Churches Spiritual Danger of Doing Good, The Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing Watching Seeds Grow: A Guide to Entrepreneurship for Parents and Children