Start by marking “Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)” as Want to Read:
Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)

Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby #5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  50 reviews
When bored young housewife Simone Hollingsworth misses bell-ringing practice-her latest effort to find something to do-no one is surprised. In fact, if old Mrs. Molfrey, her neighbor, didn't report it to Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby, Simone's disappearance might have gone unrecorded in Fawcett Green. But ever Barnaby isn't concerned-until a body is found.

Soon Barnaby
Published August 15th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Faithful Unto Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faithful Unto Death

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan SwiftOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Tempest by William ShakespeareBlindness by José SaramagoA Passage to India by E.M. Forster
Invented Countries
28th out of 87 books — 39 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Green Mile by Stephen King
Best Books of 1996
99th out of 236 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

#5 DI Tom Barnaby British police procedural. Once again a small English village is the setting, as Alan Hollingsworth is found dead--at first believed to be of a suicide, his wife Simone having disappeared a few days previously, ostensibly to visit her sick mother, although her mother had been believed dead for many years. Then the thirty-year-old daughter of one of the Hollingsworth neighbors disappears, something totally out of character for her.

DCI Barnaby and his Sergeant Troy begin investi
Graham is a good writer, flowery and descriptive but solid and interesting. She brings a small, parochial English village to life in quirky charm, and is particularly good at the flowers and botany. Her detective Barnaby and his assistant Sergeant Troy are also drawn in different molds than the standard rude but brilliant detective who has a sexually repressed female assistant as in P.D. James. The supposed crime is a missing bored, beautiful housewife isolated in the country by her workaholic, ...more
Sarah Echo
This is, I believe, Caroline Graham’s fourth Chief Inspector Barnaby story, and I definitely think she has improved with time. The characters of Inspector Barnaby and his ultra-macho sidekick, Detective Sergeant Troy, are much better developed (if not a tad less likable) and the story has a much smoother flow. I knew how the story ended, having seen the Midsomer Murders TV adaptation multiple times, or so I thought. This book is full of subtleties, not only of human behavior, but also in the way ...more
Just finished the fifth in Caroline Graham's Barnaby series. I love the setting and the way she makes the characters come to life. I know her books are generally given the "cozy" label but I'm not so sure that really fits. Pretty much all her books feature significant gory details, which make them more exciting and realistic than the average cozy. I'd seen the movie some years ago but had forgotten exactly how it ended so it was a surprise. Another good one from Caroline Graham.
Vanessa Tan
Having enjoyed the inaugural TV episode on Badger's Drift, I decided to read one of Caroline Graham's books on the same series. In written form, nuances and witty descriptions are easier to lay out than on television, but after the first two thirds of the book I found myself skimming and wanting to get to the conclusion. As with well thought-through crime novels, the ending was not exactly what I had expected - or hoped. Nothing was totally black or white. However it is probably more realistic t ...more
Simone Hollingsworth fails to turn up for bell ringing practice and her husband says she has gone to visit her mother who is ill. But some of the villagers know that can’t be right because Simone’s mother died some years ago. Her husband seems to be behaving rather strangely too and when he is found dead Barnaby and Troy are sent to investigate what proves to be a very complex case.

Village life with all its gold fish bowl qualities is very well described as are the villagers themselves. I failed
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in January 1999.

In her Cotswold-set mysteries, Caroline Graham has great fun parading casts of bizarre exaggerated eccentrics before the eyes of Chief Inspector Barnaby and Sergeant Troy (themselves stereotypical policemen) and her readers. Faithful Unto Death follows the formula pretty exactly, with a puzzle which is perhaps a little above the average level of difficulty.

When Alan Hutchinson's wife Simone goes missing, he at first does nothing about it, laun
Katie Bee
I didn't like this one. On the whole, the series is worse than the TV series, thanks in large part to the flatter and less likeable characterizations of the recurring characters (Barnaby & Troy, definitely, but also Joyce, Cully, etc.) This book is the least appealing of the lot (that I've read so far), though. Every character is unpleasant.
Another small town riddled with gossip, infidelity, embezzlement, and murder. It appears the entire town has kidnapped the wife of the embezzler in order to get their money back, but then, how did he get himself murdered? A lot of plot twists and twisted plotters. Another well written Inspector Barnaby!
Saundra Pitt
I am a HUGE fan of the Midsomer Murders TV show which is based off these books. And I have read one of the other Caroline Graham books-- which I really enjoyed. I listened to this audiobook, and didn't enjoy it as much as the other CG book I read. Maybe these books are just better when read?

I am also not a fan of the character of Det. Troy in this book. I realize characters are changed when TV shows are made from stories-- and I am GLAD that Gavin Troy's was changed for the show. His character i
New author for me and I am excited to find the Inspector Barnaby series. Lots of twists and turns and I thought I had it figured but was only partially correct.
I enjoy watching Midsomer Murders on TV, so I decided to read one of the books which inspired the series. Caroline Graham writes a good story with lots of detail and suspense.
When docile Simone Hollingsworth disappears her controlling husband soon assumes the guise of villain. But all is not as it seems in the placid village of Fawcett Green.

Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby and his bag carrier Sergeant Troy have come up against one of the cleverest criminals yet devised by author Caroline Graham and the novel has more twists and turns than a country road.

Graham is noted for character-driven novels with intricate plots and wry humor. This one has its share of eccent
I love this series of books featuring D.I Tom Barnaby and D.S Gavin Troy. Set in sleepy, picturesque villages where everyone knows everyone's business and murder and skullduggery are the order of the day.
I dislike the book version of Sergeant Troy, who comes across as vain and arrogant, the polar opposite of the TV character.
"Faithful unto Death" is a well written, suspenseful tale that kept me guessing to the very end.
Sheila Beaumont
I've just thoroughly enjoyed rereading this witty, complex, rather satirical village mystery by Caroline Graham. Like all the other books in this series, this one gives us wonderful character portrayals that delve beneath the facade of the conventional, apparently placid surface of village life.

Now I'm going to watch the corresponding TV episode of "Midsomer Murders." The four adaptations I've watched so far have been very well done, and I especially liked John Nettles' portrayal of the introspe
Interesting contrast to TV series
Jaseena AL
Rating : 4 stars
If you're familiar with the "Midsomer Murders" series from British tv, you may have seen the dramatization of this book. Apparently Graham wrote several Inspector Barnaby mysteries and the first season or so of the series took care of them, then subsequent episodes were written solely for TV. Anyway, this was a nice British police procedural in the same vein as Ruth Rendell's Wexford books; the plot had some very nice twists to it.
Chi Dubinski
Bored housewife Simone Hollingsworth disappears one day, last seen on a bus out of town. No one in the village seems concerned, except her neighbor, old Mrs. Molfrey.Her workaholic, unsocial husband tells the police she has gone to visit her sick mother.But her mother is dead. What is the husband hiding? Barnaby and Troy investigate. The books are different from the Midsomer Murders series on PBS--not quite so cozy.
Pretty fun read! I used to hate mysteries, but then got hooked on the Inspector Morse books so started searching out like books! Barnaby is no Morse and Troy is certainly no Lewis, but theyre an interesting pair. The small town setting is neat too! This is the first one I've read of the series, and I quite liked it- the mystery wasn't obvious, to me at least! Will be looking for more of the books!
Full-fledged atmospheric English village murder mystery peopled with memorable characters. This is my first encounter with Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby Case, but I am sure I will meet him again. The ending was a little less than satisfying, but true to life.
This book is quite a different version than the televised version of the same story. A wealthy woman disappears, a neighbor girl disappears, then the husband of the woman dies. All a mystery. But Barnaby is able to figure out what really happened, although it does end differently than the television version.
Another great mystery by Caroline Graham. While complicated like all her other stories, I found this one a bit easier to follow. I also really enjoyed the character development of Troy and Barnaby (a much darker depection than the tv series). Furthermore I enjoyed how the story did not have the typical "tidy" ending.
Watching Midsomer Murders on PBS got me started reading the Caroline Graham novels. I love British Mysteries. Graham is noted for character-driven novels with intricate plots and wry humor and does not disappoint again. This is the 5th of her novels and each one gets better.
I love the way Caroline Graham writes! Such detail, and she creates a world that allow your senses to wrap around the people, places and incidents. I haven't seen Midsomer Murder yet (the TV series based upon her novels), but now I can't wait!
Jul 26, 2012 Doug added it
Caroline Graham books are fun and easy to read. Her books are set in England and feature Chief Inspector Barnaby who solves a different mystery in each book. I like these books as a nice break from my normal biographies and such.
an awful lot of back and forth in terms of plot, though probably a realistic view of how a murder investigation works. The characters also seem rather like stereotypes, though sometimes insightful and sometimes amusing.
pretty funny first part--convincingly eccentric english village and bobby. becomes more serious in the last 25% as the mystery deepens and becomes more "dreadful". Very enjoyable.
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill, #12)
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • A Bird In The Hand (George & Molly Palmer-Jones, #1)
  • That Way Murder Lies (Mitchell and Markby Village, #15)
  • An Unkindness of Ravens (Inspector Wexford, #13)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • Murder on a Midsummer Night (Phryne Fisher, #17)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • A Fatal Feast (Murder, She Wrote, #32)
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • Green for Danger
  • Sick of Shadows (An Edwardian Murder Mystery #3)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • Ten Second Staircase (Bryant & May, # 4)
Caroline Graham is an English playwright, screenwriter and novelist. She attended the Open University, and received a degree in writing for the theatre from the University of Birmingham.

* Chief Inspector Barnaby

More about Caroline Graham...

Chief Inspector Barnaby (7 books)
  • The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1)
  • Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2)
  • Death In Disguise (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #3)
  • Written In Blood (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #4)
  • A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6)
  • A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7)
The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1) Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2) A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6) A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7) Written In Blood (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #4)