Start by marking “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Dancing Princesses

The Twelve Dancing Princesses

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Discover where the twelve beautiful princesses slip off to every night!
Unknown Binding
Published August 29th 2002 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Dancing Princesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Dancing Princesses

Miriam
Jan 30, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, fairy-tale

Ray illustrations are usually lovely,and this story really plays to her strengths, with all the fancy dresses, luxurious castles, and lush gardens. Faces and anatomy are her weakest point, but still nice. The princesses seemed to be of several different races so one assumes they have some number of mothers (no wife/wives of the king are mentioned) which makes sense in terms of them all being the right age to be unmarried but old enough to go out dancing all night. Most of them are dark-ish so th
Sharon L
While reading it I remembered hearing of the story in my childhood. strangely enough though it wasn't a favourite of mine back then many of the things that disturbed me now I couldn't care less about as a child.

Twelve princess sneaking out each and eery night to dance with their beautiful handsome princes. well, they didn't care for all the princes that tried to discover their secrets and just ket them be executed!

moreover, why just not tell daddy what you're doing?

and what's the point? that s
Kim
The text is a great read aloud without being too short, although this retelling is much more lighthearted than some other retellings I've enjoyed. The illustrations took me a few pages to get used to, but the further into the enchanted land the princesses ventured, the more lush and engaging Ray's art became. I especially liked that the princesses represent a variety of women---dark-skinned and fair, curly- and short-haired; a couple of the princesses even wear glasses. A warm and imaginative re ...more
Keith
Nov 02, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-and-ya
My wife informed me that this was one of her favorite books as a child. I had not know this, and I had not herd of the Grimm's fairy tale. She told me that I need to read it, and then she said that she would read it to me. It was great to have my wife read a story for me. I think that is part of the reason that I gave it a four.
Elizabeth
Aug 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this story. I love the fairy tales. Lately I am really into them for some reason. I feel the desire to go back and re-read them all. that will have to wait though, because I am already reading two books, and don't have much time for that because of moving.
earthy
Colorful, intricate art, especially the clothing and masks the princesses wear to their nighttime rendezvous. There's very little characterization, though, and the text is nothing special. Worth taking a look at simply for the art, but that's about it.
Rainey
I'm not exactly in love with the "marry off the princess" premise, but I did really enjoy the magical setting accompanied by beautiful illustrations.
Janell's Kids
Mar 15, 2009 Janell's Kids rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language and illustrations in this book are beautiful.
Julia Vasquez
Julia Vasquez marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Susie
Susie added it
Jul 13, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mha.
Mha. added it
Jun 12, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Megan Troyer
Megan Troyer marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Juliette
Juliette rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Andri Halim
Andri Halim rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Wishes
Wishes rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Carolyn Mclennon
Carolyn Mclennon marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
KittyUnicorn
KittyUnicorn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Emma Schneider
Emma Schneider rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
CG
CG marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Marya
Marya marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi added it
Aug 25, 2015
christy sorensen
christy sorensen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
132078
Born in London, Jane studied art and design at Middlesex University. Her main study was ceramics and she didn't start to illustrate until she left college. Her first published work was a series of greetings cards for Roger la Borde, followed by some book jackets, and eventually black and white illustrations for a poetry anthology with Orchard Books.
More about Jane Ray...