Start by marking “Whirlpool” as Want to Read:
Whirlpool

Whirlpool

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  979 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

When an exquisitely crafted, authentic imperial Faberge egg mysteriously shows up at Laurel Swann's home studio, she knows it can only be from one person—her father, who has drifted in and out of her life for as long as she can remember. But this time Jamie Swann leaves her something too many people will kill for.

Out of her league and desperate, Laurel is forced to accept

Published (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Whirlpool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirlpool

Angela
Jan 01, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebooks
I've posted before about my affection for Elizabeth Lowell's books, formulaic though they are. Whirlpool is no exception, though it's an earlier example of a formula she's used to better effect in more recent books: i.e., an independently operating agency out to recover a Valuable Shiny Thing, a hero who's a Reluctant Operative of the Agency and who is assigned over his protests to look out for the heroine, and of course a Heroine Who Has the Shiny Thing, and who must be protected from the Bad G ...more
Chana
I think it would have been a much better book without the adult scenes which made the book crude and somewhat idiotic in my opinion. It wasn't bad as a romance or a spy thriller but I was grimacing in distaste at the author's adult scenes. And it was an awfully long book for what often seemed like little content. In fact, I was going to give it a 2 rating but then I liked the ending so was generous and gave it a 3.
The story line basically is that a Faberge Imperial Egg has gone missing from a s
Jessi
Mar 08, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About what you'd expect from an Elizabeth Lowell mystery story. Lots of guns and running. A little romance. Laurel Swann, a jewelry artist, is caught up in a web of deceit when her father, a con man who is assumed to be dead, sends her a Faberge egg. People start coming out of the woodwork to find the egg, most of them trying to kill her. Luckily, one of the men is Cruz Rowan. He realizes that she is innocent and immediately sets about protecting her. Of course, they fall in love and good conque ...more
Kathy Martin
Apr 19, 2016 Kathy Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurel Swann is a jewelry designer who has a father who drifts in and out of her life. She loves him, but she isn't sure she likes him. When her father sends her a package containing a Faberge egg, he dumps her into the middle of a twisted plot where everyone has at least one agenda and no one cares about an innocent caught in the middle.

When one of the conspirators hires Risk, Ltd. to get the egg back without alerting any government, Cruz Rowan is the one who comes to find Laurel. Shortly afte
Diane Rapport
Elizabeth Lowell generally has interesting plots often connected with fine arts and jewels. This is one of her earlier efforts and the jewel in this case is a missing Faberge Imperial Egg. As in several of her other books, the top of the line high end security firm Risk Ltd is given the job of tracking down the missing egg. Add in a beautiful, independent woman, a dark, brooding loner of an agent, several psycho bad guys, and there's your story. Reasonably enjoyable, a quick weekend read, but no ...more
Erin
Nov 16, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, romance
This is a somewhat suspenseful, competently written novel, but I had 3 problems with it: 1) it was written in 1995, and it shows: cell phones smaller than a brick are still new and experimental, the main plot is preoccupied with former Soviet operatives, etc. I'm willing to let that go, assuming it's set in 1995, though. Which brings me to, 2) They very short chapters were a problem for me, because I felt like just when we were getting into the heads of the characters, we'd get jerked away and i ...more
Stacey
Mar 30, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this novel. Suspense, intrigued and stars and co-stars. the plot was well written. i love Cruz moves, attitude and aptitude. it was good to see all the twist and outcomes.
a must reader.
Deepa Rao
Nice swashbuckling adventure romance complete with FBI agents, private security, dashing heroes, Russian art dealers and a missing Faberge egg. Good escapist fiction.
Lea
Feb 27, 2016 Lea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember the 90's being quite so sexist, but I was still young and dumb then. This is basically a romance novel in the guise of a mystery.
Barbara
Clearly an early one...and she improved...LOTS. Thank god. :-) The "bad guys" are really unpleasant, and so are some of the good guys. Sergeant Major Gillespie, though, redeems it. A bit.
Sharon
Apr 14, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book creates a great interest in the Fabergé eggs. Clever idea for a plot. Good read.
Sharla
Apr 21, 2013 Sharla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am usually a big fan and Elizabeth Lowell's work, but this one I found a little lacking. I found it very slow starting. I think the realization came when I found myself saying I was too sleepy to ready before before I went to bed at night. My thought is, if a book is really good, I would want to read a least a chapter before I fall asleep. I had to really push to get it finished before my 3-week library loan period ended and in the last couple of days of pushing, the plot did finally take off ...more
MiniMe
Aug 07, 2015 MiniMe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of those oldies but goodies from the 80s?
Mercedes
Sep 29, 2015 Mercedes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this action packed novel and hope to read more about agents of Risk Limited.
Louise
Apr 15, 2016 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved the turns and twists
Kay
Mar 13, 2014 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Elizabeth Lowell.
April
Mar 03, 2009 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book by any stretch, but not great either. The story line, characters and action were all pretty run-of-the-mill, but the sex was definitely different from previous Lowell stories I've read. Actually, now that I think of it, she was VERY graphic for all of the secondary characters, but not at all for the primary characters.

Seemed odd to me while reading it and still does. I really don't want to know that much about the main character's DAD. lol
Kathy
Jun 21, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, readin2008
International suspense novel, well narrated by Carrington McDuffie. Naive jewelry designer with a father who is a spy-gone-bad gets caught up in a theft of a Russian Faberge egg. She falls in love with a private detective on the case. Explicit sex was a little difficult to take being read aloud. Characters were a little exaggerated, plot contrived, some scenes read like a romance novel -- but the book held together and kept me interested.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not my favorite of her book but still a funand engaging story.
Darcia Helle
Whirlpool mixes suspense, mystery, and romance with a little intrigue and deceit. Elizabeth Lowell is a great writer and this book is no exception. The plot is multi-faceted and held my interest throughout. I found some parts a little too longwinded and descriptive for my taste in suspense. At times, it was a like taking the scenic route home. But overall this is a very enjoyable read.
Clarissa
Sep 16, 2008 Clarissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was....okay...I read it, it passed the time, but it didn't really catch my interest. It could have been any one of the similar romance suspense thrillers that she writes.

The story got needlessly complicated with russian spys and double crossings (and triple crossings) almost like she was trying to hard.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
The heroine's father made me want to scream! What a user. Not just a user, but a slime ball, sleazy, user. Just ewwww!

In the end, he did not vindicate himself to me. Pehaps in another book.

And what's with the Scotsman and the owner of the agency? Hmmm??
Peter
Jun 14, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS AN ADVENTURE NOVEL.MAYBE THIS BOOK SHOULD BE MORE THAN A THREE STAR BOOK BUT IN MY MIND IT WAS NOT A FOUR STAR.THE BOOK HAD A GOOD PLOT AND GOOD CHARACTERS GOOD AND BAD. I WOULD RECOMEND THIS BOOK BUT NOT AS A FOUR STAR.
❀ Crystal ✿ -
Mar 01, 2013 ❀ Crystal ✿ - rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-2008
This entire story was like an unbelievable movie. It takes place in a matter of days. (Who can legitimately fall in love in a few days???) Surprisingly, it all worked out to still be a decent book, drama and all.
Paula
Mar 18, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! Lots of suspense and excitement. Elizabeth Lowell always delivers an exciting and memorable story - one that keeps you turning the pages, and staying up to read way too late!
Pam Terry
Mysterious and a love story. Lowell tells a great story and I love this one. Lots of adventure, betrayal, and of course love. (with a hot sounding tough guy by the way)great story.
Renna
Aug 20, 2008 Renna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the characters - really good - wish that it woulnd't have ended that quickly, but was really good!!! Hope these characters come back!!!
Tracy
Nov 18, 2011 Tracy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for an audiobook with a bad reader, predictable plot, and cliched dialogue, you found it in Whirlpool. Terrible!
Heather
Apr 07, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
let's face it - this is fluff. and for fluff to hold me til i get to the library again, it was mostly decent. the end.
Farshana Sihab
Apr 01, 2015 Farshana Sihab rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nool-lib
hmm..thr was nothing solid in the book, even Hudson killing and running around for the egg was too flimsy.
  • The Ruby
  • Kiss of Death
  • Hot Property
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • Scent of Danger
  • Do No Harm
  • With a Vengeance
  • Killer Curves
  • Crazy Kisses (Steele Street, #4)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)
  • Fatal Embrace (Romantic Suspense)
  • The Solomon Effect
  • Blaze
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Twice Kissed
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8)
  • Final Exit
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...