Start by marking “Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic” as Want to Read:
Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Welcome two new Candlewick Illustrated Classics!
These collectible editions bring treasured stories to life with lavish full-color interior illustrations and elegant French flaps.

Berlie Doherty’s inspired retellings of some of the best-loved stories of all
time come alive in Jane Ray’s rich and vividly detailed illustrations. Here is a truly gorgeous collection offering a di
Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Classic Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic Fairy Tales

Sam Hopper
Oct 07, 2012 Sam Hopper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berlie Doherty’s Classic Fairy Tales, as the title promises, is a collection of some of the all-time favourite fairy stories including Cinderella, Snow White, Aladdin, Little Red Riding Hood and the Frog Prince. Amongst the twelve tales, there are a couple that I wasn’t so familiar with – The Fire-Bird and The Wild Swans but nevertheless equally enjoyed.

The stories are well written and beautifully packaged with distinctive and quirky illustrations – much like the stories themselves. The fresh re
Sep 07, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I am always cautious of modern re-tellings of classic fairy tales. I greatly prefer fairy tales to remain largely the way I remember them from my childhood and I wholeheartedly believe children today should experience the same joy from these stories as generations before them. That said, I am happy to report Candlewick Press's Classic Fairy Tales written by Berlie Doherty passes my rigid authenticity test.

Doherty admits that she took the liberty to add small changes to each of the fairy tales w
Stuart Willy
Dec 18, 2012 Stuart Willy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy Tales – Berlie Doherty (illustrated by Jane Ray)

Twelve fairy tales traced back to their earliest written roots from around the world provides the foundation for this take on stories we all grew up with. Sourcing back to some of the great tale tellers of the last four hundred years, Doherty has sought to find the essence of the original text. Jane Ray has provided artwork to accompany the text in incredible detail with flecks and flashes of gold.

This book comes highly recommended by just ab
Amy
Sep 14, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of fairy tales. The illustrations are gorgeous, and show many of the main characters as people of color, which is rare in fairy tale collections. Doherty's versions of these stories read very naturally, and have a unified voice. Beautiful book!
Emmy Soliman
Ik heb het in Nederlands geleesd en ik vind het heel leuk!
Ik staarde de hele tijd aan de tekeningen!!
Ik vind hen beter dan de verhaaltjes !!
Maar het was een geweldig ervaring! :)
De drie sterren zijn voor de tekenaar niet de schrijver :)
Annie Moore
Jan 30, 2016 Annie Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly delightful! The illustrations are incredible. Magical.
Michael Earp
Jun 28, 2012 Michael Earp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sleeping Beauty In The Forest:

Rumpelstiltskin:
Loren
Jan 29, 2011 Loren rated it really liked it
Just a beautifully illustrated book! Admittedly, I bought it for the photographs, but I was hoping for a new spin on the familiar old stories, too. Unfortunately, the stories are just their standard versions. That makes this a great book to give kids, if they don't already have a anthology of fairy tales, but not much of a variation to a collection of fairy tale books already in place.
Emily Mellow
This is definitely one of my very favorite fairy tale collections. There are several we were familiar with, but accompanied by glorious new gilded illustrations, and there were also several stories that were new to our family, all lovingly, clearly, and beautifully written.
My kids and I were always excited to pick up this beautiful book together.
Susie
Nov 20, 2012 Susie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book of fairy tales. Berlie Doherty has included different versions of the favorite fairy tales and I liked that. The illustrations by Jan Ray are excellent, most appropriate for the stories.
Hannah  Walsh
Jan 30, 2013 Hannah Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book of fairy tales I grew up reading. Or, to be more honest, most of the time I just stared at the beautiful illustrations :)
Beverly
Apr 03, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-folklore
Traditional tales, retold by Doherty. Beautiful illustrations by Jane Ray and beautifully patterned backgrounds for the text boxes.
Jess
Wonderfully vivid pictures illustrate the classic fairy tales as depicted within this collection of timeless stories. :)
Debbie Hoskins
Jane Ray is a favorite of mine. I love her beautiful characters and sense of design.
Gorgeous book!!!
Anna
Apr 09, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful edition of a fairy tale anthology. Highly recommended.
Emily
Feb 18, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud-to-me
I love loved it. I want to give it 100 stars.
Ela
Apr 09, 2012 Ela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
Beautiful pictures and stories.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Simon Cian
Simon Cian is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
C. R.
C. R. marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Anabelle Bivins
Anabelle Bivins rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Lois Ebdon
Lois Ebdon marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Geann
Geann added it
Jan 17, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Nic
Nic marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Jem
Jem marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Berlie Doherty née Hollingsworth is an English novelist, poet, playwright and screenwriter. She is best known for children's books, for which she has twice won the Carnegie Medal.She has also written novels for adults, plays for theatre and radio, television series and libretti for children's opera.
More about Berlie Doherty...