Start by marking “Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic” as Want to Read:
Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

Classic Fairy Tales: Candlewick Illustrated Classic

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Welcome two new Candlewick Illustrated Classics!
These collectible editions bring treasured stories to life with lavish full-color interior illustrations and elegant French flaps.

Berlie Doherty’s inspired retellings of some of the best-loved stories of all
time come alive in Jane Ray’s rich and vividly detailed illustrations. Here is a truly gorgeous collection offering a di
Published August 11th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Classic Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic Fairy Tales

Sam Hopper
Berlie Doherty’s Classic Fairy Tales, as the title promises, is a collection of some of the all-time favourite fairy stories including Cinderella, Snow White, Aladdin, Little Red Riding Hood and the Frog Prince. Amongst the twelve tales, there are a couple that I wasn’t so familiar with – The Fire-Bird and The Wild Swans but nevertheless equally enjoyed.

The stories are well written and beautifully packaged with distinctive and quirky illustrations – much like the stories themselves. The fresh re
I am always cautious of modern re-tellings of classic fairy tales. I greatly prefer fairy tales to remain largely the way I remember them from my childhood and I wholeheartedly believe children today should experience the same joy from these stories as generations before them. That said, I am happy to report Candlewick Press's Classic Fairy Tales written by Berlie Doherty passes my rigid authenticity test.

Doherty admits that she took the liberty to add small changes to each of the fairy tales w
Stuart Willy
Fairy Tales – Berlie Doherty (illustrated by Jane Ray)

Twelve fairy tales traced back to their earliest written roots from around the world provides the foundation for this take on stories we all grew up with. Sourcing back to some of the great tale tellers of the last four hundred years, Doherty has sought to find the essence of the original text. Jane Ray has provided artwork to accompany the text in incredible detail with flecks and flashes of gold.

This book comes highly recommended by just ab
Emmy Soliman
Ik heb het in Nederlands geleesd en ik vind het heel leuk!
Ik staarde de hele tijd aan de tekeningen!!
Ik vind hen beter dan de verhaaltjes !!
Maar het was een geweldig ervaring! :)
De drie sterren zijn voor de tekenaar niet de schrijver :)
Michael Earp
Sleeping Beauty In The Forest:

Rumpelstiltskin:
Loren
Just a beautifully illustrated book! Admittedly, I bought it for the photographs, but I was hoping for a new spin on the familiar old stories, too. Unfortunately, the stories are just their standard versions. That makes this a great book to give kids, if they don't already have a anthology of fairy tales, but not much of a variation to a collection of fairy tale books already in place.
Emily Mellow
This is definitely one of my very favorite fairy tale collections. There are several we were familiar with, but accompanied by glorious new gilded illustrations, and there were also several stories that were new to our family, all lovingly, clearly, and beautifully written.
My kids and I were always excited to pick up this beautiful book together.
Susie
I enjoyed this book of fairy tales. Berlie Doherty has included different versions of the favorite fairy tales and I liked that. The illustrations by Jan Ray are excellent, most appropriate for the stories.
Hannah  Walsh
This is the book of fairy tales I grew up reading. Or, to be more honest, most of the time I just stared at the beautiful illustrations :)
Beverly
Traditional tales, retold by Doherty. Beautiful illustrations by Jane Ray and beautifully patterned backgrounds for the text boxes.
Jess
Wonderfully vivid pictures illustrate the classic fairy tales as depicted within this collection of timeless stories. :)
Debbie Hoskins
Jane Ray is a favorite of mine. I love her beautiful characters and sense of design.
Gorgeous book!!!
Anna
Absolutely beautiful edition of a fairy tale anthology. Highly recommended.
Emily
I love loved it. I want to give it 100 stars.
Ela
Beautiful pictures and stories.
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Lizzie Smith
Lizzie Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Elizabeth Macleod
Elizabeth Macleod marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sophie
Sophie added it
Jun 13, 2015
Wren
Wren marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Berlie Doherty née Hollingsworth is an English novelist, poet, playwright and screenwriter. She is best known for children's books, for which she has twice won the Carnegie Medal.She has also written novels for adults, plays for theatre and radio, television series and libretti for children's opera.
More about Berlie Doherty...
Dear Nobody Street Child Deep Secret Spellhorn The Girl Who Saw Lions