Start by marking “Kissing Games of the World” as Want to Read:
Kissing Games of the World

Kissing Games of the World

Jamie McClintock is a free-spirited artist and single mother who has at last found peace and freedom sharing a farmhouse with an elderly man and his young grandson. But when the old man dies suddenly, her idyllic country life comes to a halt, as the old man's estranged son, Nate, return's to claim the house and his child. Jamie can't stand Nate's sick, arogant, salesman-li ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Listen & Live Audio (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Games of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Games of the World

Apr 20, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to read. Basically, I had trouble getting into it, but kept plodding along, reading a few pages every few days, anyway. I liked it at the start, and found the atypical family of four charming and interesting, but soon realized they were not the characters I'd get to keep for the rest of the novel. In comes Nate, whom I hate instantly. He is such a clueless, self centered, pushy, smarmy salesperson... I just didn't want him to be a main character of the book, or to be th ...more
Anita
Feb 06, 2010 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, romance
The Kissing Games of the World was an impulse buy at Target earlier this week. One of those, 'hmmmm, this looks decent' kind of days. I get most of my books via www.swaptree.com, which I highly suggest checking it out if you've not heard of it. Anyhow, so the book was very good. A very mild type of drama I was looking for. It was more about Jamie and Nate finding themselves than finding each other. Oh they "collided" a few times, and it was wonderful and beautiful, but what was more important wa ...more
Heidi
Jan 27, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would have gotten a solid 4 1/2 stars if not for the language. Upon reading the first few pages, I realized how long it had been since I had read a book by an author who knew how to write. Shelton KNOWS how to write and create a story. She understands characters. Although it was definitely a romance, it was also a study on how our pasts mold our future decisions.
Angie
Jan 02, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot think of a moment in this book that I would change, where I was bored or critical. The characters were just so well drawn. I loved the characters and would love to know what they are doing know. The climatic ending was a bit abrupt, but my that is tied to my desire to not let the characters go.
Kim
Mar 19, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is well written and warmly done. Everyone learns something about themselves and their world by the end of this book. Almost everyone has personal growth, even the jerks. It is sweet, sad, funny, and romantic at the same time.
Michele
Mar 10, 2009 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Sandi's books, and this was my favorite. I didn't want to leave these characters -- I want to know how they make out -- will they be able to make it all work? Very enjoyable read!
Sue
Nov 30, 2008 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was entertaining, but sort of a romance novel with some literary pretensions.
NancyHelen
Jan 20, 2009 NancyHelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The characters are written with such depth that they felt like real people. The author crafted the personalities so well, I couldn't put the book down.
Sally
Dec 12, 2008 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read. Nothing heavy here, but a very enjoyable read with well drawn characters.
Anita
Mar 20, 2009 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved loved loved this book. sympathetic with the single parent struggles, liked the storylines. empathetic characters. good good.
Julie Ritenour
Feb 27, 2009 Julie Ritenour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, library, 2009, more
I picked this up based on the cover and the title. The characters and story drew me in from the very beginning. I'll definitely look for more by this author
Judy
Mar 10, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title and cover are a little misleading - this is another wonderful human story from Sandi Kahn Shelton
Robin
Nov 30, 2008 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Can't remember why I wrote this down but it must have sounded intriguing!
Cyndi
Feb 03, 2009 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun easy read about a single mom living with an older man who dies and the chaos and love that ensues
Jan
Feb 12, 2009 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great romance. Believable characters, very enjoyable.
Blodeuedd Finland
This was a wonderful book. It had this easy, slow pace, like drinking ice tea on the porch a nice summerday. I am not saying it was like that all the time. Oh no, it had ups and downs and I wanted to kick someone. But the language was like that.

They all had issues. Jamie had man issues, she was overprotective of her son, but that was understandable since he had asthma. But she did not let anyone get close really. She had let Harris though. Then there is Nate who had severe father issues. These t
Mishel Zabala
Oct 29, 2009 Mishel Zabala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
KISSING GAMES OF THE WORLD is filled with unique and unforgettable characters. and Shelton's writing is different than anything I've read before. She doesn't do anything especially different, its just the reading experience wasn't typical for me, which is a good thing in this case. It's a "butting-of-the-heads" type of romance, with life-long lessons intertwined within the pages.

Nate Goddard returns home to reclaim his son and settle his father's estate after Harris' untimely death. It's there
Deborah Sloan
Nov 03, 2009 Deborah Sloan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To tell you the truth when I first received this book Kissing Games of The World by Sandi Kahn Shelton I thought "What the heck is this? This isn't the type of book I would be interested in reading! Where exactly did this book come from?" The reason I thought those thoughts is that I am not a Romance reader. It's just something I have never enjoyed. Now if you throw in History.... well maybe.

But once I started reading it I found myself thoroughly enjoying every page. I was totally surprised beca
Jocelyn
May 13, 2009 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book as it resonates and stayed with me for a long while. I did not want the book to end.

I heard the voices -- and they were so real and true. Please read this as it will be time well spent for all of you.

Jocelyn S says on Sandi Kahn Shelton's Blog on March 24th, 2009 at 10:10 am
This may be in the wrong area to post a comment– but I just need to get this sent.
Thank you for such a lovely, sometimes hilarious, honest and heart-tugging work called “Kissing Games of the World”. I finishe
Libby
Mar 09, 2012 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book served its purpose, which was to give my brain a rest from Middlemarch. It's not awful--it's compelling enough to actually finish reading. However, despite the author's efforts to make it seem otherwise, it's really just your basic romance novel. Essentially, two single parents are thrown together, at first dislike each other, and...you can guess they don't continue to dislike each other until the end of the book. The one part of the book I really did like and which felt true to me wer ...more
Lily Jervis
She is a very good author. She made the story and the characters come alive. The trouble is, I hated all the characters. Except for the little kids and the heroine. The poor misunderstood heroine, Jamie, who everyone mistrusted and disrespected because she might have had sex with the old rogue who died in chapter one - whom everyone in town was very fond of. The hero and love interest, Nate, was a completely stubborn, self-centred asshole, even if he had had a sucky childhood. I was so rooting f ...more
Angela
Mar 22, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read, not too deep, but not purely fun either. It reminded me a little of "The Next Best Thing," in that you have one character who is solid as a rock and practically perfect -- while the other character, in this case the male lead, has to understand himself before things work out.

You go through a lot of issues with this guy, waiting for him to come around and see things clearly. It's kind of painful to read and his treatment of the protagonist is pretty callous. But still it's
Sharon
Apr 23, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pulls you in right away. I'm enjoying the characters developing. The book begins with a older man having a heart attack and a younger woman housemate being wrongly accused of killing him, and the man's jerk son coming back into the picture and is quite riveting!

I enjoyed this one more and more, and I find myself still thinking of the characters now that I've finished reading! This is a sure sign for me of a wonderfully-written book.

The characters were imperfect and very human, and it w
Renae
Nov 03, 2009 Renae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a way, I wish the author would have given this book a different title. I think it deters many from reading it. It implies the main focus is romance. It's not. It's about family, running from your past, overcoming loss and raising children. The two boys played a significant part in this story. They were absolutely adorable in every way. All of the characters in this story felt real to me.

And, the book cover doesn't help either . . . after reading the book, it makes no sense. So, don't let the
Laina SpareTime
I don't know if you've noticed, but lately, I haven't really read a lot of adult fiction. Besides that whole thing where I read several hundred picture books a year for my job, I've been going through a definite YA/MG streak, especially since I've been trying to read through my review stack. My tastes in adult books do tend to lean more romance, as well. So writing this kind of review is a little hard for me. Hang in with me, okay? Read the rest on my blog.
Marjanne
I think I would give this 3.5 stars. The basic story line is pretty predictable: boy and girl find each other and fall in love. However, the way the story weaves and develops was not overly predictable and it seemed pretty realistic. I ended up liking it more than I thought it would. I liked that the female main character was a pretty strong character. Overall I liked it. I would probably read something else by this author.
Dianne
Mar 15, 2010 Dianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I realized this was about child abandonment (and basically the abandoning parent getting a free pass overall), I quit reading and returned it to the library. I don't read unrealistic stories about that important topic, child abandonment. The reality is that child abandonment is an unforgiveable act, and you don't get a second chance to make up that time. Ever. That's a loss that can't be redeemed.
Leslie Wilkins
Apr 27, 2009 Leslie Wilkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot to this book to keep me engaged: relationship issues, parenting issues, and big-city-versus-small-town issues. My only problem with this book was that I didn't like the romantic lead male enough to want the potential happy ending. But this is because of the great writing: the book is full of well-rounded and full characters that are totally relatable. I'm putting Shelton's other books on my to-read list!
Amy Schacht
Jul 20, 2009 Amy Schacht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about shifting family among strangers - As a young single mom house-shares with the owner, a gruff grandfather, who didn't do such a great job raising his son, but who is now raising his grandson. All is well, until the home-owner grandfather dies, leaving all up in the air, and challenges those who are left to move beyond their natural cynical state.
Kim
Aug 05, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Other than the irrelevant title, this was an OK book. I liked the character development and thought the author did a good job with the two little boy characters. However, the story was highly implausible in parts and predictable at the end. This is probably not a book that I would recommend, but it was alright.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • The Archangel Project (Jax Alexander Mystery #1)
  • The Return of Jonah Gray
  • Wives of the Fishermen
  • The Geography of Love: A Memoir
  • Crossing Washington Square (Nal Accent Novels)
  • Maverick Heart